The Big Board-Gaming Catch-All

The only salve I’ve ever found for unrepentant alpha gamers is to... just not play with them sadly This can definitely limit your pool of players (and cuts me off from involving some otherwise super enthusiastic family members), but it’s ultimately a much more enjoyable time for the rest of the table. On the flip side, there’s nothing quite as enjoyable as taking the same cohort apart in competitive games - ask me about my epic TI4 Winnu win if you want a tale of intergalactic salt and sadness >:)

I would say the pandemic legacy games are less prone to alpha gamer syndrome due to the constant rules and story changes.

However my main solution to this problem is also to not play with people who do that.

Just received my copy of Keith Burgun's Dragon Bridge and I can't wait to dig into it. He makes such interesting games with all these simple systems that tie into each other creating emergent complexity that is A+.

This is cool and all, but I’m wondering whether I’ll regret this purchase once it arrives since the roll-and-move mechanics are so ‘80s and aren’t being updated.

IMAGE(https://i.ibb.co/SBNLNsz/89-AAA6-C2-0473-49-FD-90-A1-7-C400-DD615-AA.jpg)

What does HeroQuest have over the dozens of newer dungeon crawls, besides nostalgia?

For reference I have a couple of the D&D Adventure System games, which are fun. I love the idea of this genre, and would really like to find one that resonates with my kids. I played Castle Ravenloft with my kids once, and my son got really into it for a couple weeks, but he's never wanted to play again since then.

Fedaykin98 wrote:

What does HeroQuest have over the dozens of newer dungeon crawls, besides nostalgia?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8s... explains why much better than I ever could.

I pre-ordered HeroQuest as well and while I doubt it is going to be something I really get into I think my kids are going to love it.

Amazon deals today:

Fantasy Flight Games - Cosmic Encounter, Multicolor $50 from $60
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/15899449...

M.U.L.E. The Board Game $35 from $42
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B019FAS5...

Machi Koro Legacy, Game $35 from $50
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07MJM6D...

Portal Games Detective $33 from $50
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B079THKB...

Star Wars: Edge of the Empire - Beginner Game $25 from $30
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/16166159...

Disney The Haunted Mansion – Call of The Spirits Board Game $20 from $25
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08636S3...

Legends of Andor Board Game | Cooperative Strategy Adventure Game By KOSMOS | Spiel Des Jahres Kennerspiel Winner $42 from $47
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B015OKL5...

Viticulture: Visit from The Rhine Valley Expansion $17 from $20
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07C5585...

Gloomhaven $50 from $109
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07PQLYX...

A Gloomhaven Rick Roll?

I can vouch for Machi Koro Legacy. My group really enjoyed playing it until I up and moved away. All the stuff they added to the game, which I won't spoil, really makes it a fresh experience on the original Machi Koro game.

jigsawhc wrote:
Fedaykin98 wrote:

What does HeroQuest have over the dozens of newer dungeon crawls, besides nostalgia?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8s... explains why much better than I ever could.

I pre-ordered HeroQuest as well and while I doubt it is going to be something I really get into I think my kids are going to love it.

Such a great video! ("Brode Sode!") I still laugh at the blasted thing! I think this guy needs to be an audio book narrator!

Fedaykin98 wrote:

What does HeroQuest have over the dozens of newer dungeon crawls, besides nostalgia?

Nothing. I loved HeroQuest, but it shows its age.

Edit: As a side note, HeroQuest should be a $40 mass market game, and the idea that it's selling for over $100 is ridiculous.

Valmorian wrote:
Fedaykin98 wrote:

What does HeroQuest have over the dozens of newer dungeon crawls, besides nostalgia?

Nothing. I loved HeroQuest, but it shows its age.

Edit: As a side note, HeroQuest should be a $40 mass market game, and the idea that it's selling for over $100 is ridiculous.

Only option is the edition going for a daft £150 via Zavvi over here in the UK and while some are seeing it as a massive cash grab, some are paying that money as they do with the old used copies floating about. Nostalgia costs a wedge it seems.

I wouldn't have expected it to ever be as low as $40 / £25. Somewhere in the £50-£60 range I might have thought about picking it up as an Christmas treat to play with family in a "Here son, this is the game I played when I was your age" way.

I guess you could compare physical content in the box to be about the equivalent of the FFG games like Descent or Journeys in Middle Earth, but then those have modern rules and the app integration, so lots more cost involved to be considered.

It's a shame really.

Just bought pitchcar mini for my boys Christmas present, fingers crossed it goes down well.

Not a mobile game, but The Crew card game mentioned upthread is on sale for $9.99 on Amazon. $5.00 savings.

The Crew is pretty good. Trick taking co-op game. We enjoyed.

Bought Skulk Hollow for my lad at Christmas, good theme for him and just about the right level of complexity and game length I reckon, well hope.

Gift for the whole family, I have New York Zoo coming. Barenpark and Patchwork are a couple of my wife's favourites so hopefully this one will follow that trend.

Bubblefuzz wrote:

Bought Skulk Hollow for my lad at Christmas, good theme for him and just about the right level of complexity and game length I reckon, well hope.

Gift for the whole family, I have New York Zoo coming. Barenpark and Patchwork are a couple of my wife's favourites so hopefully this one will follow that trend.

Skulk Hollow is a big hit with both of my kids and myself. Validating your purchase!

Fredrik_S wrote:
Bubblefuzz wrote:

Bought Skulk Hollow for my lad at Christmas, good theme for him and just about the right level of complexity and game length I reckon, well hope.

Gift for the whole family, I have New York Zoo coming. Barenpark and Patchwork are a couple of my wife's favourites so hopefully this one will follow that trend.

Skulk Hollow is a big hit with both of my kids and myself. Validating your purchase!

Thanks, good to know! (looking forward to playing it myself come Xmas)

We just got Obscurio and the Haunted Mansion board game.

After my question about the "Mars Cubes Game" (First Martians) upthread, I read some more reviews and ended up picking up a used-but-still-excellent-condition copy of Robinson Crusoe instead. Going to crack it this weekend, but solo play for now.

Has anyone done this one solo? I'm thinking rather than the "Solo" variant in the rulebook, I may just play the two-player (or even three-player) version with me controlling all characters. Any opinions about which is the better option for solo play?

RC is amazing. Just be prepared to lose a lot. Solo is fine. Or do it with a buddy or spouse as a 3- or 4-“player” game. All good.

I enjoy Robinson Crusoe a lot but I would advise having boardgamegeek forums handy. The rules are atrociously written.

Fully endorse the other RC love. My understanding is that the re-released version has a MUCH better rule book than the OG version.

bhchrist wrote:

Fully endorse the other RC love. My understanding is that the re-released version has a MUCH better rule book than the OG version.

That is good news. I might go and download the updated ruleset if I can then because the original is probably the most infuriating rulebook I have ever read. The game is great though.

I’ve heard that the rules books for Portal’s games are all horribly written. I watched the Rodney Smith how to play and play through videos, though, so I hope I’m okay. I’ll beep my tablet close by just in case. Thanks.

New question. I am buying a gift for my brother-in-law for Christmas. My sister says his top 3 are Cards Against Humanity, Codenames, and Monopoly, which is a pretty broad spread, but basically light and fluffy seems to be the common thread. (That also matches his personality - He’s gregarious and probably just likes games that are good for hangouts and don’t require a lot of thought, organization, or laser focus. Party games and the like.) Any suggestions?

Feegle wrote:

New question. I am buying a gift for my brother-in-law for Christmas. My sister says his top 3 are Cards Against Humanity, Codenames, and Monopoly, which is a pretty broad spread, but basically light and fluffy seems to be the common thread. (That also matches his personality - He’s gregarious and probably just likes games that are good for hangouts and don’t require a lot of thought, organization, or laser focus. Party games and the like.) Any suggestions?

Secret Hitler, Just One, Wavelength, Cockroach Poker. All are excellent.

Edit: To elaborate, I like a mix of heavy and social games. I'm always thrilled to find a high player count social game to play at gaming nights and bring to PAX (both pre-covid). I kinda try to find one per year. Codenames was the original and is still great, and the others I mentioned are also perennial favorites.

Monikers has been a great party game for us the last few years.

Skull is an excellent bluffing game that is explained quickly and has been a hit for every group I've tried it with.

I'm not a huge party gamer at all, if a game says fun, party, 6+ players on the box I'll do my best to avoid... However I'd +1 recommend Just One and Wavelength for sure. I enjoy Coup as another quick high player count game have enjoyed.

I absolutely can't stand it, my least favourite series of social game I think have played but they might like one of the Werewolf games. One Night Werewolf, One Week disliked just as much... But then gregarious is not my middle name

Edit. Oh and Spyfall might work. On the fence myself about that one, but sounds like it could fit the bill.

If you can find a copy, Funemployed would be worth checking out. It's a similar turn-style as Cards Against Humanity, but requires more creativity. Very fun game with the right group.

Also, Mysterium might be a good choice. Clue-meets-Dixit and is a fun, cooperative social game.

We're four months into Pandemic Legacy, Season 0. Really enjoying it. Its Pandemic, but well twisted up and sort of remixed into something intriguing and new. Like previous Seasons the game changes a little bit every month and things are continuing to escalate.