The Big Board-Gaming Catch-All

shoptroll wrote:
pyxistyx wrote:

heh, I WISH i could find someone regular to play with that was interested in stuff like Arkham and Eldritch Horror! I'm happy enough playing them solo, but it would be nice to be able to bounce off of someone who was similarly into them and didn't just get bored and stop paying attention half way through and having to abandon the game

Move to the greater Boston area!

Or to Indianapolis!

shoptroll wrote:
pyxistyx wrote:

heh, I WISH i could find someone regular to play with that was interested in stuff like Arkham and Eldritch Horror! I'm happy enough playing them solo, but it would be nice to be able to bounce off of someone who was similarly into them and didn't just get bored and stop paying attention half way through and having to abandon the game

Move to the greater Boston area!

Move to the Northern New Jersey area!

lostlobster wrote:
shoptroll wrote:
pyxistyx wrote:

heh, I WISH i could find someone regular to play with that was interested in stuff like Arkham and Eldritch Horror! I'm happy enough playing them solo, but it would be nice to be able to bounce off of someone who was similarly into them and didn't just get bored and stop paying attention half way through and having to abandon the game

Move to the greater Boston area!

Move to the Northern New Jersey area!

Nashville!

trichy wrote:
lostlobster wrote:
shoptroll wrote:
pyxistyx wrote:

heh, I WISH i could find someone regular to play with that was interested in stuff like Arkham and Eldritch Horror! I'm happy enough playing them solo, but it would be nice to be able to bounce off of someone who was similarly into them and didn't just get bored and stop paying attention half way through and having to abandon the game

Move to the greater Boston area!

Move to the Northern New Jersey area!

Nashville!

Northern VA

pyxistyx wrote:

heh, I WISH i could find someone regular to play with that was interested in stuff like Arkham and Eldritch Horror! I'm happy enough playing them solo, but it would be nice to be able to bounce off of someone who was similarly into them and didn't just get bored and stop paying attention half way through and having to abandon the game

I'm not sure I'm being clear. I would definitely prefer playing with my family. What happens is that I get them to join but then our schedules don't mesh together, and I'm stuck not playing at all... Not playing at all suuuuuuuuucks.

Bubblefuzz wrote:
pyxistyx wrote:

heh, I WISH i could find someone regular to play with that was interested in stuff like Arkham and Eldritch Horror! I'm happy enough playing them solo, but it would be nice to be able to bounce off of someone who was similarly into them and didn't just get bored and stop paying attention half way through and having to abandon the game

UK GWJers meet up to play games at UK Games Expo June 1-3?

A local group usually makes the trip, if I can get the all clear work and family front I'd like to head up there for my first expo in 20+ years!

Edit. Ian Livingstone is there. Signed copy of Deathtrap Dungeon, yes please.

of all the options above, this is the most realistic!
This summer might be a bit...weird...for me though, if all goes well, so might be something to consider for next year.

Arts n' Crafts time!

Was looking around for some cool alternatives to the cardboard clue tokens for the Arkham games and saw a tutorial on making these glass tokens which I thought looked like it might be worth a shot, so I tried putting together a few sample ones to see how they looked.

IMAGE(https://smackfolio.files.wordpress.com/2018/03/img_45361.jpg)

Really like the look of these from the front. (The numbered ones are for Eldritch Horror, the non-numbered ones are for the card game). I printed out some collages of old 20's newspaper headlines and maps and then glued them to the base of the stones and cut around them once dry then painted the backs to try to match the green of the stones. Simples.

IMAGE(https://smackfolio.files.wordpress.com/2018/03/img_45341-e1520362303313.jpg)

The backs are a little rough, but hopefully I'll figure out a way to improve on that as I go. And they'll be varnished anyway so they shouldn't fall apart or anything.

IMAGE(https://smackfolio.files.wordpress.com/2018/03/img_45371.jpg)

I can't believe that you spoke of a tutorial for how to make those but didn't link it.

oh woops! I meant to go back and do that after I found it again but i got distracted and forgot :O

The US bound ship for The 7th Continent is either, not the ship that was sent in the link, arriving in Houston on the 10th, or the live tracker is wrong.

Chimalli wrote:

The US bound ship for The 7th Continent is either, not the ship that was sent in the link, arriving in Houston on the 10th, or the live tracker is wrong.

It looks like the Batlic Bridge is now scheduled to arrive in Jacksonville on the 18th.

EriktheRed wrote:
Chimalli wrote:

The US bound ship for The 7th Continent is either, not the ship that was sent in the link, arriving in Houston on the 10th, or the live tracker is wrong.

It looks like the Batlic Bridge is now scheduled to arrive in Jacksonville on the 18th.

7th Continent update just said 16th... and then a couple weeks after that... so... first week of April, maybe?

dRailer wrote:
EriktheRed wrote:
Chimalli wrote:

The US bound ship for The 7th Continent is either, not the ship that was sent in the link, arriving in Houston on the 10th, or the live tracker is wrong.

It looks like the Batlic Bridge is now scheduled to arrive in Jacksonville on the 18th.

7th Continent update just said 16th... and then a couple weeks after that... so... first week of April, maybe?

Well what do I know about international shipping? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I was pulling the date from here.

EriktheRed wrote:
dRailer wrote:
EriktheRed wrote:
Chimalli wrote:

The US bound ship for The 7th Continent is either, not the ship that was sent in the link, arriving in Houston on the 10th, or the live tracker is wrong.

It looks like the Batlic Bridge is now scheduled to arrive in Jacksonville on the 18th.

7th Continent update just said 16th... and then a couple weeks after that... so... first week of April, maybe?

Well what do I know about international shipping? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I was pulling the date from here.

I wasn't saying Serious Poulp was right. Just that you are wrong. Horribly, horribly wrong. If you want to completely blind-guess the schedule by relying on so-called informational websites with buzzwords like "logistics" and "resources" and "vessel schedule" in them, well... I'm not going to stop you. Totally kidding. lol... I'm betting you're right and Serious Poulp actually wrote their update days ago. *shrug*

I was about to send this as a PM to Erik, but is is too good not to share with all:

Terraforming Mars is coming to Steam

Will be on ios as well.

dRailer wrote:

I don't know why I'm sharing this experience. Not looking for solutions, just... thought it was funny.

You "rank up" here by posting more. I figure that means the Powers That Be want us to think "when in doubt, go ahead and post something and contribute to the conversation."

I mean, I didn't click on this thread to not read about people's board game experiences.

bhchrist wrote:

I was about to send this as a PM to Erik, but is is too good not to share with all:

Terraforming Mars is coming to Steam

Will be on ios as well.

Ok, now I'm REALLY going to be glued to my PC.

Scottish_Leprechaun wrote:
bhchrist wrote:

I was about to send this as a PM to Erik, but is is too good not to share with all:

Terraforming Mars is coming to Steam

Will be on ios as well.

Ok, now I'm REALLY going to be glued to my PC.

Definitely excited for this. We've got plenty of tableau-builders in our physical collection already which means I have a hard time picking it up, but I've go no problem getting it digitally

bhchrist wrote:

I was about to send this as a PM to Erik, but is is too good not to share with all:

Terraforming Mars is coming to Steam

Will be on ios as well.

That'll be a day one purchase for me, for sure. Though I'll likely get it on my Android first. I do most of my digital boardgaming there.

cool! I've been eyeing that one up but it has so many moving parts it's intimidating for ME, let alone the people that I currently play games with. This sounds like an ideal solution.

pyxistyx wrote:

cool! I've been eyeing that one up but it has so many moving parts it's intimidating for ME, let alone the people that I currently play games with. This sounds like an ideal solution.

Honestly the rules for Terraforming Mars aren't too complicated. Don't let yourself get intimidated by it. It also has a great fun solo mode that you can play to familiarize yourself with the rules before bringing it to the table with other people. I wouldn't wait for the video game version of it to play it.

EriktheRed wrote:
pyxistyx wrote:

cool! I've been eyeing that one up but it has so many moving parts it's intimidating for ME, let alone the people that I currently play games with. This sounds like an ideal solution.

Honestly the rules for Terraforming Mars aren't too complicated. Don't let yourself get intimidated by it. It also has a great fun solo mode that you can play to familiarize yourself with the rules before bringing it to the table with other people. I wouldn't wait for the video game version of it to play it.

Agreed. The rule explanation I got was pretty lengthy but the actual mechanics are pretty simple once you get into it. If you can play something like Race for the Galaxy you can play Terraforming Mars.

Excellent points by both Erik and Shoptroll. I typically do not play non-app board games solo, but Terraforming Mars is a major exception (along with Spirit Island). The strategy changes in solo vs. multiple players, but the mechanics are the same. Plus, it is actually fun vs. just something to do to learn the game.

While there are a lot of cubes, they fall into three categories: Those that are used to buy things, those that are used to indicate what is mine and what is yours, and those that track scores/terraforming levels. That is pretty much it.

The metallic ones are basically money/resources (units of 1, 5, and 10) used to buy stuff. It will be interesting to see how much I play the tabletop version solo post app, however.

In case you all are interested, Amazon has Twilight Imperium 4th Edition on sale for $99. Even if it NEVER makes it to my table, I'm seriously considering dropping the cash on this beast...

AMAZON

Fredrik_S wrote:
MisterStatic wrote:
Fredrik_S wrote:

Cardboard Edison just revealed the finalists in their annual award. Holy sh*t, Dicescrapers is in the finals. http://cardboardedison.com/award

Congrats, Frederick! It looks great! I have begun my first design prototype ever. It actually has much the same theme but quite different mechanisms. But, it does use dice and players build skyscrapers (but not with the dice), so I almost called it Dicescrapers as a temporary name...then I saw this. So I guess that is off the list! I am finding it incredibly difficult and rewarding to go through this process. But, as my first attempt in designing anything, I am sure I will fail many times moving forward.

Oh, that's awesome! Good luck on your design and you need a second set of eyes on it, feel free to send it my way.

Thanks, Frederick. That is very kind of you. I am very divorced from the whole creative process (in the Army over 20 years) so I don’t even know where to go next. I do know it needs some balancing and that it is not a brief process. It will probably even be frustrating. I am very new to this, but creating is very exciting!

Whoa, the Through the Ages steam beta isn't lasting long. It's releasing on March 26!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/75...

Tonight settles it. Pandemic Legacy Season 2 is one of the best games I’ve ever played. October. What a great twist.

Spoiler:

IT’S NOT FACE PAINT

MisterStatic wrote:

Thanks, Frederick. That is very kind of you. I am very divorced from the whole creative process (in the Army over 20 years) so I don’t even know where to go next. I do know it needs some balancing and that it is not a brief process. It will probably even be frustrating. I am very new to this, but creating is very exciting!

Making things is the best, no doubt. Even if it never reaches a wider audience, the sense of accomplishment that have created something that didn't exist before is immense. Some of my the stuff I am most happy with is the stuff that only me and my kids tried out.

Anyway. My approach to balancing / finding fun is to force my regular group to play it over and over and over again. Then in between sessions with them I play it on my own. Over and over again. Just try new things, throw it out and try something else. And yea, it does become frustrating when ideas you have don't work out, but as Michael Bluth said "head down and power through". Good luck!

Finally I finished all the base scenarios and DLC for mansions of madness. Which expansion should I get next and in what order?

Played two games at our local game day today. This group specialises in bigger games so we played:

Vengeance
Five players was probably too much for this game as the downtime while other took their turn got to people. On the other hand I got to see all my hard work painting the minis on the table. I definitely like this game a lot but I think 3-4 players is the sweet spot.

Rising Sun
This was very good. Very clever design with lots of ways to earn victory points. Even when you find yourself in a battle you can’t win there are ways to get points. And there’s lots of tricks to bidding in the battles that can let you win even if your opponents have the advantage. The minis are very high quality as well.