The All New Gabriel Newell's Digital Wonder Emporium, aka, The Steam Update Thread

Um isn't Big Picture still in Beta?

I tried it, and thought it was neat. But I generally don't like running a beta of a program I use every single day. So I went back to stable release. And I still don't see a Big Picture button on my Steam.

Gabe Newell says Valve will release its own console-like PC for the living room

The biggest revelation is that Valve seems set to release its own complete hardware and software solution.

As a digital distribution platform, Steam is wildly successful, with more than five million concurrent users on any given day and over 50 million users in total (by comparison, Xbox Live has more than 40 million users)

Link

Stele wrote:
Um isn't Big Picture still in Beta?

I tried it, and thought it was neat. But I generally don't like running a beta of a program I use every single day. So I went back to stable release. And I still don't see a Big Picture button on my Steam. :?


I've been seeing a bunch of news announcements on Steam that say it's gone live (or out of beta or whatever). I was using it in beta as well, only had a couple instances where Arkham City crashed back to Big Picture only for Steam to think I'm still in game and unable to restart it; but then, Batman:AC would do that even without Big Picture, mostly if I alt-tabbed out during the opening logo bumps.

Its out of beta, maybe 2-3 days ago or so.
I just noticed that Steam now allows installing on different disks! Finally! when did that change happen??

Brownypoints wrote:

I just noticed that Steam now allows installing on different disks! Finally! when did that change happen??

It was in beta along with big picture. Only works with games using their new cache format, which is about half the store currently.

Just curious, I have a HTPC and an office PC in my house. The HTPC has a decent processor and so far I only use it for streaming video. Heck I didn't even put a graphics card in it and just run it off the HTML slot on the mother board.

I am however interested in gaming on the HTPC. Could I use remote desk login to access the office pc? Would it be usable?

Norfair wrote:
and just run it off the HTML slot on the mother board.

I presume you mean HDMI, but I'm sure someone somewhere thinks this is how you set up a web server.

Looks like Valve is going after GameFAQs with the newest Community feature: Game Guides

shoptroll wrote:
Looks like Valve is going after GameFAQs with the newest Community feature: Game Guides

I actually think that is really cool. Sounds like it will let you leverage steam cloud images as well.

I haven't used gamefaqs.com in several years, but for those who still do, this seems like a good addition.

I prefer to use wikis to provide game information when I need it.

MeatMan wrote:
I haven't used gamefaqs.com in several years, but for those who still do, this seems like a good addition.

I prefer to use wikis to provide game information when I need it.

For me, it depends on the info type I'm looking for. Sometimes gamefaqs is just right. Sometimes, I want an interactive map. Sometimes, it's a wiki, like for Terraria.

gamefaqs has a lot of knowledge built up over the years. Unless I know there's a good wiki for a game, it's my first stop. I've got a quick search made for it.

A mod installation guide for Skyrim is already up, just to get a feel for how guides will look/work.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...

mrtomaytohead wrote:
For me, it depends on the info type I'm looking for. Sometimes gamefaqs is just right. Sometimes, I want an interactive map. Sometimes, it's a wiki, like for Terraria.

That's how I operate as well. Gamefaqs is great for linear paths through a game. Wikis are great for games which are much more open/broad, or if I need information on a specific part of a game like a monster or item. YouTube for specific tricks like finding secret coins in Mario.

Nice. Not quite a wiki, but the ability to hyperlink to a section is a huge improvement over plain text. Feels very much like a cross between Gamestop's guides and traditional FAQs.

Can't imagine Prima is terribly pleased about this though.

Gamefaqs and Youtube have been may go to for years if I'm stuck (frustrated) in a game. Will be nice to have a 3rd prevalent source.

shoptroll wrote:
Nice. Not quite a wiki, but the ability to hyperlink to a section is a huge improvement over plain text.

Gamefaqs has this now, although it seems the authors have to set it up. There are some guides that are a simple html page now.

Any comments on the Market that began with Tf2? (Aka Sell virtual hats for real money)

Manach wrote:
Any comments on the Market that began with Tf2? (Aka Sell virtual hats for real money)

Aside from it being high-time to make my profile private so I don't get even more trade offers for Bill's Hat? Nope.

I am hoping they eventually allow people to sell pre-owned games though. That would be interesting.

shoptroll wrote:
I am hoping they eventually allow people to sell pre-owned games though. That would be interesting.

That would be glorious indeed, assuming you specifically mean the option to sell back your product key to Steam for a percentage of what you paid. That would certainly incentivize people to buy more games at or near release, instead of waiting for a sale of 50-75% off as a lot us do.

MeatMan wrote:
shoptroll wrote:
I am hoping they eventually allow people to sell pre-owned games though. That would be interesting.

That would be glorious indeed, assuming you specifically mean the option to sell back your product key to Steam for a percentage of what you paid. That would certainly incentivize people to buy more games at or near release, instead of waiting for a sale of 50-75% off as a lot us do.

Either that or putting it on the market, and they skim a bit off the top.

shoptroll wrote:
MeatMan wrote:
shoptroll wrote:
I am hoping they eventually allow people to sell pre-owned games though. That would be interesting.

That would be glorious indeed, assuming you specifically mean the option to sell back your product key to Steam for a percentage of what you paid. That would certainly incentivize people to buy more games at or near release, instead of waiting for a sale of 50-75% off as a lot us do.

Either that or putting it on the market, and they skim a bit off the top.


I have no interest in getting into a price war with hundreds or even thousands of Steam users also trying to sell their "copy" of the same game directly to other Steam users. I just want Steam to give me store credit in exchange for my product key.

Edit: Nevermind, I just don't agree with the premise.

The real reason I want to be able to 'sell' my games is to get rid of crap I'll never even think of installing like Day of Defeat from my Steam Library.

A funny thing that I just realized: If Steam ever did allow trading in your game for credit, there will be a buttload of Sparklepony game codes put back on the market.

MeatMan wrote:
there will be a buttload of Sparklepony game codes put back on the market.

And the cycle can start anew!

mrtomaytohead wrote:
The real reason I want to be able to 'sell' my games is to get rid of crap I'll never even think of installing like Day of Defeat from my Steam Library.

Woa there buddy, DoD was the bees knees 8 years ago.

ukickmydog wrote:
mrtomaytohead wrote:
The real reason I want to be able to 'sell' my games is to get rid of crap I'll never even think of installing like Day of Defeat from my Steam Library.

Woa there buddy, DoD was the bees knees 8 years ago.

Yeah! Watch what you say about DoD, you never know when a good reason to play it might show up out of nowhere. Wouldn't you feel silly if you had just traded it away?

psoplayer wrote:
ukickmydog wrote:
mrtomaytohead wrote:
The real reason I want to be able to 'sell' my games is to get rid of crap I'll never even think of installing like Day of Defeat from my Steam Library.

Woa there buddy, DoD was the bees knees 8 years ago.

Yeah! Watch what you say about DoD, you never know when a good reason to play it might show up out of nowhere. Wouldn't you feel silly if you had just traded it away?

Never installed it and have no intention of changing that. If I want to play an 8 year old multiplayer Source engine game, I'll take CS:Source or HL2DM.

Sadly, I think if Steam ever allowed sell-backs or sell-to-others, it would be the end of the beloved Steam sale as we know it. Can you imagine the speculation that would go on if you could buy a game on the cheap in December and then unload it on some schlub in January for more than you paid, while still undercutting the regular Steam Store price? Madness.

Maybe a trade option between long time friends?