Official Team Fortress 2 Game Nights (PC)

Jeeze. Just came so close to getting scammed out of my two scout hat unusual combo (ballcap and bonkboy). The person had two pages of clean rep on the sourceop forums, and was making a tempting offer. Turns out he was a scammer that cloned his steam page to look almost exactly like someone else's with clean rep. Only the fact that he wouldn't go first caused me to look closer.

Mangler 1, Caber 0

Ragin' Better check your six. Mangler 2, caber 0

This time ragin gets bisoned:

VEKrueger wrote:

2 players penetrated

[size=25]2 players penetrated[/size]

IMAGE(http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-9QjARWd5a84/T3OXHJJbe1I/AAAAAAAAA34/OVtLNvwpMvI/s190/nod-of-approval.gif)

ragin_redneck wrote:

I had to save this.

Perfect rocket jump then brainz comes along and ruins it all.

Tscott wrote:

Jeeze. Just came so close to getting scammed out of my two scout hat unusual combo (ballcap and bonkboy). The person had two pages of clean rep on the sourceop forums, and was making a tempting offer. Turns out he was a scammer that cloned his steam page to look almost exactly like someone else's with clean rep. Only the fact that he wouldn't go first caused me to look closer.

Smart way to go about it. To scam that is. But in the end, he would still have to put something up for trade.
What was he going to do about that part? Probably never came that far I suppose.

Good thing you caught it though.

In better TF2 news than my last post, I now have a Butt Tux!

For some reason, installing ubuntu using wubi just froze my machine. So instead I followed this thread's advice to use VirtualBox to install ubuntu. It wasn't optimal, but it worked.

Sparhawk wrote:
Tscott wrote:

Jeeze. Just came so close to getting scammed out of my two scout hat unusual combo (ballcap and bonkboy). The person had two pages of clean rep on the sourceop forums, and was making a tempting offer. Turns out he was a scammer that cloned his steam page to look almost exactly like someone else's with clean rep. Only the fact that he wouldn't go first caused me to look closer.

Smart way to go about it. To scam that is. But in the end, he would still have to put something up for trade.
What was he going to do about that part? Probably never came that far I suppose.

He was offering me money via paypal, and said he'd send it after he got the items since he had more rep.

Tscott wrote:

He was offering me money via paypal, and said he'd send it after he got the items since he had more rep.

I'm very glad you made it out safely.

Just a reminder to everyone about Rule #1 of Steam Trading: Never ever ever ever ever EVER do this. Paypal trades WILL end up in tears, no matter how good the offer appears. (No kidding, it's in the rules.) Scammers are unbelievably ruthless and resourceful; that's the reason for within-Steam trading and the Market. I'm sure unusual hats will make it to the Market soon enough.

Archangel wrote:
Tscott wrote:

He was offering me money via paypal, and said he'd send it after he got the items since he had more rep.

I'm very glad you made it out safely.

Just a reminder to everyone about Rule #1 of Steam Trading: Never ever ever ever ever EVER do this. Paypal trades WILL end up in tears, no matter how good the offer appears. (No kidding, it's in the rules.) Scammers are unbelievably ruthless and resourceful; that's the reason for within-Steam trading and the Market. I'm sure unusual hats will make it to the Market soon enough.

Yeah, very slick. I will never be the one waiting for the other guy holding up his end of the deal. I'd rather walk away.
But sometimes...it's very tempting. Glad you didn't fall for it!

KUThunderchief wrote:

Perfect rocket jump then brainz comes along and ruins it all.

He ruins a lot of stuff. :p

KUThunderchief wrote:

Mangler 1, Caber 0

Ragin' Better check your six. Mangler 2, caber 0

This time ragin gets bisoned:

I'm going to go through my videos now. Then we can really tally the score.

Egypt is a terrible, terrible map. Can we play corporate instead? It is less grindy.

That's gotta hurt, mate.

IMAGE(http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/576729595995511369/6D6CD8AC4C5AEF65AE46C5EBD010E1F421410043/)

ragin_redneck wrote:
KUThunderchief wrote:

Mangler 1, Caber 0

Ragin' Better check your six. Mangler 2, caber 0

This time ragin gets bisoned:

I'm going to go through my videos now. Then we can really tally the score. :old:

You got me at least twice with that caber tonight.

Not sure why SamF7 decided to bless me with pyro ubers on Friday, but oh what joy they bring.

fleabagmatt wrote:

Not sure why SamF7 decided to bless me with pyro ubers on Friday, but oh what joy they bring. :D

Pyro ubers are best ubers!
IMAGE(http://ih3.redbubble.net/work.5765074.1.sticker,375x360.high-5-v1.png)
When a medic gives me an uber I guarantee one thing: it will be awesome. Awesome-bad or awesome-awesome but either way it will be awesome. And fun. So that's two things I guarantee: awesome and fun.

Weekend pubbies are the best, I went like 100:19 on Dustbowl alone yesterday 8)

Boots Quaked
MeXxX420Bl4z3errday#YOLOskilz
309 Original kills

Dominator
MeXxX420Bl4z3errday#YOLOskilz
35 dominations

What's the link to the stats?

Hey, I got an award!

IMAGE(http://stanspub.hlstatsx.nfoservers.com/hlstatsimg/games/tf/ribbons/1_solemn_vow.png)

deleted.

Sparhawk wrote:
KUThunderchief wrote:

Sparhawk:

lol I was expecting a private message. But this will work :)

Remember when they talked about those of us not capable of accomplishing such feats. I am one of those.

Sparhawk wrote:
KUThunderchief wrote:

Sparhawk:

lol I was expecting a private message. But this will work
-edit-
logged out. Tux is in.

You are a gentlemen and a scholar. Sparhawk is best hawk! I will send some metal your way when I get back on.

KUThunderchief wrote:

Sparhawk:
xxxxx

lol I was expecting a private message. But this will work
-edit-
logged out. Tux is in.

KUThunderchief wrote:
Sparhawk wrote:
KUThunderchief wrote:

Sparhawk:

lol I was expecting a private message. But this will work
-edit-
logged out. Tux is in.

You are a gentlemen and a scholar. Sparhawk is best hawk! I will send some metal your way when I get back on.

How do you send items through Steam again? I can't figure it out... I mean without logging onto TF2

Mex wrote:
KUThunderchief wrote:
Sparhawk wrote:
KUThunderchief wrote:

Sparhawk:

lol I was expecting a private message. But this will work
-edit-
logged out. Tux is in.

You are a gentlemen and a scholar. Sparhawk is best hawk! I will send some metal your way when I get back on.

How do you send items through Steam again? I can't figure it out... I mean without logging onto TF2

Friend List, invite to trade...
Instead of metal, we agreed on less taunting after he killed me.

Sparhawk wrote:
Mex wrote:
KUThunderchief wrote:
Sparhawk wrote:
KUThunderchief wrote:

Sparhawk:

lol I was expecting a private message. But this will work
-edit-
logged out. Tux is in.

You are a gentlemen and a scholar. Sparhawk is best hawk! I will send some metal your way when I get back on.

How do you send items through Steam again? I can't figure it out... I mean without logging onto TF2

Friend List, invite to trade...
Instead of metal, we agreed on less taunting after he killed me.

Guess I'll have to pick up the slack and taunt more after killing you.

We'll see how this pans out...

Mex wrote:

We'll see how this pans out...

IMAGE(http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/33275242.jpg)

I finally got TF2 running on Linux on my Radeon 7850. Similar experience to Queueball -- no sound, lower framerate. Although I didn't do anything to tweak the drivers, and there was clearly a ton of AA going on.

The gory details, spoilered for their general irrelevance to mannes and hattes:

Spoiler:

I used wubi, but I didn't use the image it downloads. Instead, I downloaded the CD (has to be CD, not DVD) ISO of the 64-bit Ubuntu Quantal desktop and put it in the same directory with wubi.exe, per this FAQ. The result was a very different (and more stable) Ubuntu install; having done it both ways now, I highly recommend it over the crack smoke wubi auto-downloaded.

To get the graphics working, the most helpful thing for me was this Ask Ubuntu article. (Notably, those dependencies in the middle of the article are required to run the magical dpkg-building driver archive from AMD.) I ended up doing most of it from the root shell you can get from selecting "recovery mode" at the Grub prompt. (Which you only get from the Desktop-CD-ISO version; another reason to do it that way.) I don't like removing graphics drivers while I'm actually using them.

As someone who remembers when configuring X could literally make your monitor catch fire, I have to say the process is the most thoroughly harrowing thing I've done with Linux in fifteen years, and the driver manufacturers should be ashamed of themselves. But it can be done, and the worst case with wubi is that you boot back into Windows, uninstall by running wubi.exe again, and write nastygrams about it on the Internet.

If all that made your eyes glaze over, I'll be happy to log on for people and get them butt-penguins if Sparhawk can't hook you up for some reason. As with Spar, no tips are necessary.

I've been watching the number of Tuxes grow. About 8000 at this writing, 300 more since the last time I looked about four hours ago. By contrast, there are 57,440 buds. That doesn't necessarily mean anything about how valuable they are---plenty of things in the world of TF2 are rarer but less valuable than buds---but it will be interesting to see how Linux compares to OS X when it comes to people logging in. Linux is cheaper to get than OS X, but perhaps harder to get TF2 running on.

Hmm, I expect to spend some time later this week getting Linux up and running, but good to know there are kind hearted folks out there to help if needed.