Official Team Fortress 2 Game Nights (PC)

Video #2: Flying Pan

ukickmydog wrote:

Can I preemptively bitch and complain? Autoscramble with no vote sucks.

In general, I agree with you but things have been really bad lately balance-wise so I wouldn't be adverse to trying it to see if it helps.

Update is out. Pub will be updated shortly

Source Engine Changes (TF2, DoD:S, HL2:DM)
- Fixed a bug that was preventing some crashes from being reported
- Fixed the chat window not accepting characters for some languages

Team Fortress 2
- Added raw mouse input for the Linux version
- Fixed missing text in the recipe descriptions for The Rescue Ranger, The Loose Cannon, and The Vaccinator
- Updated the equip_region setting for The Bootie Time
- Updated The Menpo to be paintable
- Updated The Last Straw to be paintable
- Updated The Digit Divulger with new styles
- Updated The Rescue Ranger so it can be used as an ingredient when crafting
- Updated the localization files
- Updated the Item Import Tool
- Improved UI layout
- Added support for facial animations
- Fixed skins sticking after a different DMX was loaded
- Added support for LOD testing
- Hats will automatically add an Unusual attachment point to bip_head

One of the difficulties of using a scramble mod on our server is that we tend to have fast map turnover and most people want a chance to play both sides of asymmetric maps (payload, attack/defend). We play a lot of payload and attack/defend, and scrambling in the middle of those seems to leave at least a handful of goodjers feeling pretty meh.

The function that would serve us best, in my opinion, is a mod that used HLstatsX info when creating the initial teams for a map -- heck, you could start each map with a 30sec/1min free-for-all melee-only mode just to get everyone loaded in then do a stats-based scramble to create teams for regular play, if trying to balance the teams player-by-player proved ineffective. The initial spawn-room death-match is something I have seen on the TN payload rotation server; it's not as annoying as it might sound. And I'm sure there are few old folks / husbands who would appreciate a bit more of a breather between maps.

From Brainz killstats page

Gumbie Kills:16 6.48% Deaths:2 1.14%

IMAGE(http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t22/Gumbie84/pissed.gif)

So, I get there are awards now...but what is the big deal? Just bragging rights I take it?

Fun after hours pub-stomp today. The best pub-stomp is the one you're on the right side of.

Sparhawk wrote:

So, I get there are awards now...but what is the big deal? Just bragging rights I take it?

Yep. It provides an objective answer of who the best GWJ players are, in order. It's fascinating and unsettling.

Digging around in the player data is actually pretty interesting. It tracks all kinds of game events, per-weapon kills, per-player K/D, streaks, plus support details by medic and engineer, etc. It can illuminate your own style of play, and teach you how ukick (and evilseed! Holy crap!) does what he does.

Cyranix wrote:

The function that would serve us best, in my opinion, is a mod that used HLstatsX info when creating the initial teams for a map -- heck, you could start each map with a 30sec/1min free-for-all melee-only mode just to get everyone loaded in then do a stats-based scramble to create teams for regular play, if trying to balance the teams player-by-player proved ineffective. The initial spawn-room death-match is something I have seen on the TN payload rotation server; it's not as annoying as it might sound. And I'm sure there are few old folks / husbands who would appreciate a bit more of a breather between maps.

:old:

I wrote this once. It's easy to write the scramble part, but at the time (...2009? wow long time ago) pulling data from HlstatsX meant parsing XML, and there was no non-brittle way to do that.

It's also kinda hard to construct the teams. How do you do it from stats? # of wins? K/D? Maybe something separating players who love to play sniper/spy onto separate times?

Anyway, I miss TF2. Moving soon though!

Staats wrote:
Cyranix wrote:

The function that would serve us best, in my opinion, is a mod that used HLstatsX info when creating the initial teams for a map -- heck, you could start each map with a 30sec/1min free-for-all melee-only mode just to get everyone loaded in then do a stats-based scramble to create teams for regular play, if trying to balance the teams player-by-player proved ineffective. The initial spawn-room death-match is something I have seen on the TN payload rotation server; it's not as annoying as it might sound. And I'm sure there are few old folks / husbands who would appreciate a bit more of a breather between maps.

:old:

I wrote this once. It's easy to write the scramble part, but at the time (...2009? wow long time ago) pulling data from HlstatsX meant parsing XML, and there was no non-brittle way to do that.

It's also kinda hard to construct the teams. How do you do it from stats? # of wins? K/D? Maybe something separating players who love to play sniper/spy onto separate times?

Anyway, I miss TF2. Moving soon though!

Staats!!!!

Are you moving back to the US?

Cyranix: on the plugin stuff what you described would be ideal. I actually looked for that but as far as I know it doesn't exist. If you find it or know of anyone who can make it let me know.

PS: Staats come back and make this plugin.

Gumbie wrote:

Staats!!!!

Are you moving back to the US?

Cyranix: on the plugin stuff what you described would be ideal. I actually looked for that but as far as I know it doesn't exist. If you find it or know of anyone who can make it let me know.

PS: Staats come back and make this plugin.

Nah, not yet. But the next stop is Europe, so at it's at least part of the world where people play FPS, and the time zone / ping issues are better. Here I gotta play at 11 am with a ping of 250+, there, 2am with a ping of... < 200? I hope? We'll see.

At least if I'm drunk when playing it's night.

ukickmydog wrote:

Video #2: Flying Pan

You made that guy look like an idiot.

Got a vintage soldier's stash for 2 keys when the hat retirements were announced 2 weeks ago. Vintage soldier stash now worth 9-10 keys. #profit

Gumbie wrote:

Got a vintage soldier's stash for 2 keys when the hat retirements were announced 2 weeks ago. Vintage soldier stash now worth 9-10 keys. #profit

Toque Whore indeed!

Server input required sirs.

Our provider Nuclear Fallout is cool enough to allow servers to add a replay bot (which takes up an additional slot) without charging the customer for the additional slot. I wasn't aware of this when I was asking for donations for the new slot and HlstatsX a few days ago. Right now thanks to all you awesome people the server balance is at $62.18. There's a couple of options we can do with that.

1. Leave it there and apply it towards 2013-2014 yearly renewal which comes up in September. The yearly renewal with HlStatsx will be $299. This isn't due until September 3rd.

2. Our server currently runs on Windows Server 2008. Nuclear Fallout offers a Linux server option that includes something unique to them. It's called FPS Locker and this is the information they have about it.

Nuclear Fallout Servers wrote:

For Orangebox-based games, the ultraaccelerator means that the server is placed on a Linux machine with our optimized kernel. We have found that servers in this configuration have a slightly more stable FPS rate

The nontechnical explanation is basically Orangebox is locked at a 66.7 FPS on the server side. For those who don't know, FPS is basically the game in action and how the server calculates all the stuff you see happening during gameplay. While the FPS is locked at 66.7 that doesn't mean they're aren't small fluctuations. On a server that sucks (ours doesn't suck) these fluctuations can be large enough to cause hitbox issues and other weirdness that can mess up gameplay. With Nuclear Fallout's FPS Locker it is supposedly supposed to lock the FPS at a steady 66.7 where you don't see any of that. We did try the FPS locker once before for a month when I was paying for the server by myself and some people did tell me they thought they noticed a difference with the server being "smoother" but who really knows. I ultimately went back to standard Windows setup when the community started donating again because the FPS Locker is an additional $14.99 a month.

If we were to add the FPS Locker to the server on our existing plan through September it would be $93.43. Take away our current balance of $62.18 which would bring us to $31.25. If people wanted to go that route I don't have a problem footing the other $31.25.

I have no dog in the fight myself. This is the community's funded server even though I admin it I won't do anything without finding out what you guys want because it's your money. Let me know what you guys think.

Gumbie wrote:

Server input required sirs.

FPS locker seems pointless. The server is a good one, it's not like gameservers... I say just apply it to the renewal.

Agree with ukick. Don't see the need for FPS locker, performance is really good right now. Just roll it over in September.

Gumbie wrote:

From Brainz killstats page

Gumbie Kills:16 6.48% Deaths:2 1.14%

<3 Gumbie

The only time I really notice issues are when I back up and think it's glitching only to find that I've been stabbed by brainz.

Second, STAAAATS! Hopefully europe allows you to join us again.

ukickmydog wrote:
Gumbie wrote:

Server input required sirs.

FPS locker seems pointless. The server is a good one, it's not like gameservers... I say just apply it to the renewal.

Hmmm, I'm going to disagree with ukick just on principle (I mean it's ukick after all). I say since there's not much left to get it, we can try it out until Sept. and decide whether it is worth the extra scratch.

I vaguely remember when we had it before but cannot comment on if it was "smoother" for me or not.

Don't care that much either way though.

EvilHomer3k wrote:

The only time I really notice issues are when I back up and think it's glitching only to find that I've been stabbed by brainz.

Second, STAAAATS! Hopefully europe allows you to join us again.

That Brainz glitch has been terrible for me the last couple of nights. Valve needs to patch that sh*t ASAP.

Staats, come back! I have kritzes waiting for you!

Gumbie wrote:
EvilHomer3k wrote:

The only time I really notice issues are when I back up and think it's glitching only to find that I've been stabbed by brainz.

Second, STAAAATS! Hopefully europe allows you to join us again.

That Brainz glitch has been terrible for me the last couple of nights. Valve needs to patch that sh*t ASAP.

How about new Sniper googles with narrower forward visibility but with small side view mirrors. (You're still screwed with seeing behind you of course.)

Or

An auto jarate backback. Anyone with 'x' feet of you that doesn't fire a weapon triggers it.

I think tboon has a point. But won't I get spoiled though when I play on other servers and things
will annoy the sh*t out of me because it is less stable?
If the answer is, the difference isn't that big...then I wouldn't want to pay for it either.

So I'd keep it for the next upcoming bill.

tboon wrote:
ukickmydog wrote:
Gumbie wrote:

Server input required sirs.

FPS locker seems pointless. The server is a good one, it's not like gameservers... I say just apply it to the renewal.

Hmmm, I'm going to disagree with ukick just on principle (I mean it's ukick after all). I say since there's not much left to get it, we can try it out until Sept. and decide whether it is worth the extra scratch.

I vaguely remember when we had it before but cannot comment on if it was "smoother" for me or not.

Don't care that much either way though.

I'm with Mr. Boon. I think we should try it out until renewal, and if not a big difference the drop at renewal and save the yearly rate for it. I'd be willing to fund the difference. If it is good, then I don't think we would have much trouble funding it for another year.

Man I miss a day of play and I'm already #3... It was fun while it lasted U_U

Hello,

Thank you for ordering from BigBadToyStore.com!

Your preorder item(s) have arrived and we have processed your order. To view the status of your order please log-in to your BBTS Account.

Your order summary is listed below:

Product ID Description Sub Standard Collector Subtotal
NEC12030 Team Fortress 2: 7" Deluxe Action Figure - RED Demo Limited Edition 1 $21.99
Subtotal: $21.99

I ordered the Pyro too, not being shipped yet I guess.

Wakim wrote:
tboon wrote:
ukickmydog wrote:
Gumbie wrote:

Server input required sirs.

FPS locker seems pointless. The server is a good one, it's not like gameservers... I say just apply it to the renewal.

Hmmm, I'm going to disagree with ukick just on principle (I mean it's ukick after all). I say since there's not much left to get it, we can try it out until Sept. and decide whether it is worth the extra scratch.

I vaguely remember when we had it before but cannot comment on if it was "smoother" for me or not.

Don't care that much either way though.

I'm with Mr. Boon. I think we should try it out until renewal, and if not a big difference the drop at renewal and save the yearly rate for it. I'd be willing to fund the difference. If it is good, then I don't think we would have much trouble funding it for another year.

I'd be willing to put in a few more bucks to try this out until renewal.

Psych. Psych!!!

Psych.

IMAGE(http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/1118285565628622990/762C604EAE0FD3D5D952EFD81191E597A7D12312/)