Official Team Fortress 2 Game Nights (PC)

Man, it feels like monday. Doesn't it feel like Monday to you guys? Let's have a pub GWJ game tonight, like we do on mondays.

Mex wrote:

Man, it feels like monday. Doesn't it feel like Monday to you guys? Let's have a pub GWJ game tonight, like we do on mondays.

I see no reason why it wouldn't be a Monday today....

Sparhawk wrote:
Mex wrote:

Man, it feels like monday. Doesn't it feel like Monday to you guys? Let's have a pub GWJ game tonight, like we do on mondays.

I see no reason why it wouldn't be a Monday today....

Let's do it!

I was thinking about how much my computer hardware has changed since I started playing the TF2 beta back in 2007.

I've been through 4 different processors and 5 video cards. I don't think I'll ever get tired of this game because I can still sit down any given night, have fun, and lose 2 hours without even noticing.

Gumbie wrote:

I was thinking about how much my computer hardware has changed since I started playing the TF2 beta back in 2007.

I've been through 4 different processors and 5 video cards. I don't think I'll ever get tired of this game because I can still sit down any given night, have fun, and lose 2 hours without even noticing.

Since I started in '07 I've played TF2 on four or five different computers, at least, between work and school laptops, before finally settling on my current machine. Hell, even my main computer is on its second iteration, with Windows 8 and a new SSD.

I literally started playing on a machine that met the barest minimum system requirements; an AMD64 Athlon with an nVidia 6200 I think, and definitely no more than 512mb RAM. Later I ran Windows XP on two or three different work/school Macbooks solely for TF2. Now I'm on a modestly powered Intel i3 with some nVidia GTX card, with a newly installed SSD.

Not to mention how much the game has changed since then. Doesn't Vanilla TF2 with the original stock maps sound boring, yet we all probably played it as much then as we do now?

I started on an E2160, 2gb of ram, and a GeForce 8600GTS. I soon upgraded the 2160 to a Q6600 that I am still running. I upgraded the Graphics card to a Redeon 4850, and now a 5870. I have parts ordered to upgrade to a new 3570k system. The biggest change I remember in all that, though, was getting an SSD. My HD was slow and I was always one of the last people to load a level.

I think that the minimum systems have increased quite a bit over time. With all the hats, strange weapons, and miscellaneous items I would bet the requirements have jumped a bit. My son plays the game on one of my old machines (4gb ram, Radeon 4850, and the E2160) and it chugs badly.

Going back a couple of days on strange counts and play time. My minigun is about 15 kills from breaking 15000 and I'm getting 3 hours away from 300 hours of Heavy since I reset my stats.

Mex wrote:

Man, it feels like monday. Doesn't it feel like Monday to you guys? Let's have a pub GWJ game tonight, like we do on mondays.

Hmm, now that you mention it, it does feel like Monday...

tboon wrote:
Mex wrote:

Man, it feels like monday. Doesn't it feel like Monday to you guys? Let's have a pub GWJ game tonight, like we do on mondays.

Hmm, now that you mention it, it does feel like Monday...

Its beginning to feel a bit like Monday....

Sparhawk wrote:
Mex wrote:

Man, it feels like monday. Doesn't it feel like Monday to you guys? Let's have a pub GWJ game tonight, like we do on mondays.

I see no reason why it wouldn't be a Monday today....

You guys are crazy! Today is my Friday! I'm finally off for two days!

I'd say we should have our Friday night game instead, but most of you will be in bed by the time I get home. :p

IMAGE(http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/902110606401668797/51F7F8484235F2281580BA1844A2363667EFCDD7/)

Rough night. Sometimes your the hammer, sometimes your the nail. Tonight I was definitely the nail.

Gumbie wrote:

Rough night. Sometimes your the hammer, sometimes your the nail. Tonight I was definitely the nail.

Hell, I was the iron ore that got made into a whole bunch of nails then.

Ok, you all have convinced me by repeatedly calling me jerk. I will be on this week.

Sparhawk wrote:

IMAGE(http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/902110606401668797/51F7F8484235F2281580BA1844A2363667EFCDD7/)

Holy crap, WHERE IS MY HEAD?

Gumbie wrote:

Rough night. Sometimes your the hammer, sometimes your the nail. Tonight I was definitely the nail.

Oops. you're*

For the record, I don't dislike defensive scouts (or scouts on offense). What annoys me is when people who obviously don't know how to play pick classes that are the most difficult to be useful for the team despite obviously having no idea what they are doing.

ukick did a great job of playing scout last night (as is normal for him). He was always near spawn and continually harassed our engie nests as well as anyone travelling to the front lines. It is very difficult to keep your stuff up when you have to worry about a scout behind you and a group in front of you. You can't leave the nest to get the scout (and you probably won't win if you do) and you can't ignore him. I'd rather deal with a good spy than a bonked scout. The spy is easy to kill once you know about him. ukick scout is not.

So last night we had two defensive scouts who didn't score a point for an entire round and scored about 3 points each in 2 rounds. Does anyone have suggestions on getting them to be useful members of team? I feel like psych (a jerk) just berating them for being useless. One of them (caraboo or something like that) actually seemed useful later in the night on the other team (dustbowl). Granted he was on team goodjer rather than team pubbie but he went from terribly useless scout to somewhat useful other class.

That server we pubbed in the other day (ATF? Or something) had some sort of plugin that prevented more than 2 spies/snipers(probably other classes but we had at least 4 soldiers).

So we're not the only ones who find it annoying!

Mex wrote:

That server we pubbed in the other day (ATF? Or something) had some sort of plugin that prevented more than 2 spies/snipers(probably other classes but we had at least 4 soldiers).

So we're not the only ones who find it annoying!

I don't like being associated with that server

EvilHomer3k wrote:

ukick did a great job of playing scout last night (as is normal for him). He was always near spawn and continually harassed our engie nests as well as anyone travelling to the front lines. It is very difficult to keep your stuff up when you have to worry about a scout behind you and a group in front of you. You can't leave the nest to get the scout (and you probably won't win if you do) and you can't ignore him. I'd rather deal with a good spy than a bonked scout. The spy is easy to kill once you know about him. ukick scout is not.

I kept trying to get your gun to kill you... didn't succeed though

ukickmydog wrote:
Mex wrote:

That server we pubbed in the other day (ATF? Or something) had some sort of plugin that prevented more than 2 spies/snipers(probably other classes but we had at least 4 soldiers).

So we're not the only ones who find it annoying!

I don't like being associated with that server

EvilHomer3k wrote:

ukick did a great job of playing scout last night (as is normal for him). He was always near spawn and continually harassed our engie nests as well as anyone travelling to the front lines. It is very difficult to keep your stuff up when you have to worry about a scout behind you and a group in front of you. You can't leave the nest to get the scout (and you probably won't win if you do) and you can't ignore him. I'd rather deal with a good spy than a bonked scout. The spy is easy to kill once you know about him. ukick scout is not.

I kept trying to get your gun to kill you... didn't succeed though :(

You succeeded at least once. In another case you succeeded in getting me to focus on you and Mex took the sentry down. You also made me change my sentry placement so that it would be harder for you to use my sentry to kill me. That contributed to me losing the sentry at least once. Despite not killing me numerous times it was quite effective in harassing us and keeping our focus away from the cart as well as altering my sentry placement. Both of those things are useful to your team even if they don't give you points. I think bonk scouts are largely ignored when it comes to sentries. They can be even more effective than ubers in taking out sentries when the team works together.

We have talked about limits before but it always gets shot down due to server warm-up happy fun time. For me it really isn't about the class but the effectiveness of the person with the class. Two good scouts on defense are fine so long as they are being useful to the team. It is tough for one defensive scout to be useful and (imo) nearly impossible for two to be useful.

EvilHomer3k wrote:
ukickmydog wrote:
Mex wrote:

That server we pubbed in the other day (ATF? Or something) had some sort of plugin that prevented more than 2 spies/snipers(probably other classes but we had at least 4 soldiers).

So we're not the only ones who find it annoying!

I don't like being associated with that server

EvilHomer3k wrote:

ukick did a great job of playing scout last night (as is normal for him). He was always near spawn and continually harassed our engie nests as well as anyone travelling to the front lines. It is very difficult to keep your stuff up when you have to worry about a scout behind you and a group in front of you. You can't leave the nest to get the scout (and you probably won't win if you do) and you can't ignore him. I'd rather deal with a good spy than a bonked scout. The spy is easy to kill once you know about him. ukick scout is not.

I kept trying to get your gun to kill you... didn't succeed though :(

You succeeded at least once. In another case you succeeded in getting me to focus on you and Mex took the sentry down. You also made me change my sentry placement so that it would be harder for you to use my sentry to kill me. That contributed to me losing the sentry at least once. Despite not killing me numerous times it was quite effective in harassing us and keeping our focus away from the cart as well as altering my sentry placement. Both of those things are useful to your team even if they don't give you points. I think bonk scouts are largely ignored when it comes to sentries. They can be even more effective than ubers in taking out sentries when the team works together.

We have talked about limits before but it always gets shot down due to server warm-up happy fun time. For me it really isn't about the class but the effectiveness of the person with the class. Two good scouts on defense are fine so long as they are being useful to the team. It is tough for one defensive scout to be useful and (imo) nearly impossible for two to be useful.

Yeah, ukick running around in the backfield as scout and Psych stabbing me every 2 minutes rendered me useless as a sniper. Even when I wasn't getting stabbed I was so paranoid about spies that I was missing shots I usually make and checking behind me every 30 seconds. Also didn't help ukick had a pocket medic.

EvilHomer3k wrote:

You succeeded at least once. In another case you succeeded in getting me to focus on you and Mex took the sentry down. You also made me change my sentry placement so that it would be harder for you to use my sentry to kill me. That contributed to me losing the sentry at least once. Despite not killing me numerous times it was quite effective in harassing us and keeping our focus away from the cart as well as altering my sentry placement. Both of those things are useful to your team even if they don't give you points. I think bonk scouts are largely ignored when it comes to sentries. They can be even more effective than ubers in taking out sentries when the team works together.

IMAGE(http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm294/xx_clauu/emoticons/thBlush.gif)

For what it's worth, I think we've been kicking people way too quickly / frequently lately, especially on non-full servers. If a person isn't trolling, I see no reason 95% of the time to be kicking people when the server isn't full. Also, I prefer to mess around with people instead of just straight out kicking them. It's funner and it keeps the server population up. Like if someone has an offensive name, I'll use the admin name change ability and force change their name instead of just kicking them

Gumbie wrote:

Yeah, ukick running around in the backfield as scout and Psych stabbing me every 2 minutes rendered me useless as a sniper. Even when I wasn't getting stabbed I was so paranoid about spies that I was missing shots I usually make and checking behind me every 30 seconds. Also didn't help ukick had a pocket medic.

I just want it on record that I back-stabbed ukick, as a scout, when he had a pocket medic. It made my night worthwhile.

ukickmydog wrote:

For what it's worth, I think we've been kicking people way too quickly / frequently lately, especially on non-full servers. If a person isn't trolling, I see no reason 95% of the time to be kicking people when the server isn't full. Also, I prefer to mess around with people instead of just straight out kicking them. It's funner and it keeps the server population up. Like if someone has an offensive name, I'll use the admin name change ability and force change their name instead of just kicking them :)

Not every admin has these abilities. There was a player on last night with a name I felt was unnecessary and offensive. I asked him twice to change it, or give a reason for that name. He did neither, so I kicked him. I would have preferred a name change, or a slap or two, but regular admins aren't allowed those abilities.

Gumbie, can we get Replay on our pub? Some moments need to be preserved forever, like me killing you inside your spawn with a melee weapon n_n

If Gumbie doesn't have the time, I can look into the admin permissions and replay settings. Someone bug me about it though or I'll forget.

This one's for EvilHomer.
 
I did not know what the Pyro was capable of. I like the flame thrower then fell in love with the flare gun. Setting snipers on fire from across the map in Harvest was absolutely blissful.
 
The GWJ Pub server was like boot camp. It was rough, but all in a way that encouraged me to get better. After a while, I could expect to do well on random pub servers just from what I learned on Stan's. I still wasn't doing all that I could do.
 
I was spoken to over the mic for not grasping that a poof would extinguish an immolated teammate. As well I should have been. A simple poof would keep a more able teammate alive to kill more mannes than my newbie self could take on alone. I also came to admire the Goodjer way of doing things after a scout on a random pub server elsewhere yelled for a poof. I pointed my backburner at him, which has at most 4 poofs, and he began defensive maneuvers. Strafes. Double jumps. He burned to death, cursing me over the mic all the way down.
 
Goodjers have the good sense to be poofed when they ask for it - or if they simply need it. People even tell me thank you now instead of making sarcastic comments! I can also trust that if a burning soldier rocket jumps away then he either has a really good plan or likes seeing mannes burn even more than I do.
 
Anyway, sometimes we newbies can use some rough but helpful encouragement. It makes us better players and helps you too.

MyBrainHz wrote:

If Gumbie doesn't have the time, I can look into the admin permissions and replay settings. Someone bug me about it though or I'll forget.

I just set the admin permissions. I "think" you should now be able to rename players. Ukick is the rename command in the Sourcemod admin menu?

I have no problem with turning on replay, but don't you have to have somewhere to store it?

We can check with Dimmer on the replay. Since we rarely use the private any more (thanks to people like Moo) I don't know that we need it on there any longer. The setup isn't too difficult, though.

Gumbie wrote:

Ukick is the rename command in the Sourcemod admin menu?

Yes it is, but you can't pick a name to change it to there. It just makes a random name / sequence of letters.

It's like kicking from the menu. You can't put a clever reason for it.

Anyone know what the limit is on how many characters you can type into text chat?

MrAndrewJ wrote:

This one's for EvilHomer. ... rest of quote

It's not the pubbies that we get frustrated with. It's the pubbies that don't listen.