DayZ - ArmaII zombie mod

Jumping on the dog pile of waiting for the standalone.
Reading these stories gets me very tempted to just try it again, but all the hacking stories keeps me away. I briefly considered Lingor for a change but think I can find other things to occupy me (read Borderlands 2 - almost as far away from ArmaII/DayZ a shooter can get, but there it is).

Yeah, I just uninstalled the client.

I'll pick up the Standalone when it's out, but now there's too much going on to pay attention to it.

Rocket maybe giving private hive owners access to the source code of DayZ

Basically means community updates and bug fixes for the mod while he works on the standalone. Pretty cool.

TheHipGamer wrote:

... server hopping to avoid consequences/difficulties.

Part of me thinks that there's a game mechanic in this. Sci-Fi themed multi-dimensional warfare.
It would take some serious streamlining of the server change process though.

Redhwk wrote:

First test run the other night of my DMR, ending VA Punishers 1k+ zombie kill streak. Culmination of 15 minutes worth of stalking from various points around the Prison.

Awesome weapons.
I want to find that M4 on Chernarus. Not too likely.

Ghostship wrote:
Redhwk wrote:

First test run the other night of my DMR, ending VA Punishers 1k+ zombie kill streak. Culmination of 15 minutes worth of stalking from various points around the Prison.

Awesome weapons.
I want to find that M4 on Chernarus. Not too likely.

Chernarus....pffft...

Million and one reasons to play private hive lingor instead:) Or Borderlands 2, Redhawk! I'm on hiatus for a while thanks to BL2

Fuzzballx wrote:
Ghostship wrote:

Awesome weapons.
I want to find that M4 on Chernarus. Not too likely.

Chernarus....pffft...

Million and one reasons to play private hive lingor instead:) Or Borderlands 2, Redhawk! I'm on hiatus for a while thanks to BL2

Yeah, gonna have to wait until B2 gets down to my price range, which is $10, although one of my co-workers almost gifted it to me rather that his wife, hehe.

I highly recommend getting in on Lingor. I've got two servers I'm playing on Vigilant Addiction which is now a password protected server with a very low population, just find the Private Hive Access Requests of the forum and ask for access to the Lingor HC server. That is where the first video is from.

Here's another video I shot last night on the CKWGaming server.

These guys are a fairly laid back group, but have a strong admin presence, they just ran scripts a couple days back remove hacked in guns. They also have custom starter gear, currently Bandages x2, G17 Mag x2, G17, Can of Pasta x1, Water Bottle (Empty)x1, Czech Vest Pouch and Road Flare.

All of the issues with getting the game patched and going are alleviated with dayzcommander, including getting Lingor or Takistan for that matter up and running. I've not run across anyone yet that came across as hacking on either of these servers.

Redhwk wrote:

All of the issues with getting the game patched and going are alleviated with dayzcommander, including getting Lingor or Takistan for that matter up and running. I've not run across anyone yet that came across as hacking on either of these servers.

So are these servers then immune to the normal hacker exploits? Duped gear i dont care about (or use), but if that's possible does the other stuff exist?

Somewhat safer to presume that there'll be little to no hacking on a server that you've had to ask for permission to be on. Of course that is never a guarantee, but at least I've never had even an inkling of someone hacking on that VA Lingor server.

Quick smart person who has free time to run it...setup a Lingor server for GWJ...and GO!

Joined VA.
May put in some time on Lingor.
Two Fuller's Porter tonight though, so far, means I should probably stick to Borderlands 2.

Redhwk, was just on CKW Lingor server with you.
I was VerticalChess.
Had just gotten geared up with Ghillie, AKS etc.
Got nuked by G3K outside San Arulco.
Rolled up to me in a truck then unloaded explosive rounds or something.
I wasn't even a threat, but folks assume a Ghillie means player hunter, I guess.

Respawned in Ralon and he showed up there almost immediately.
Weird.
He didn't shoot me and I didn't shoot him.
Tried to talk w him and realized I wasn't on direct comm (oops!)
Ended up getting overwhelmed in military buildings by Zeds shortly after.

Enuff for tonite.
If you see G3K, place a bullet firmly in him for me

ButtonMasher wrote:

Redhwk, was just on CKW Lingor server with you.
I was VerticalChess.
Had just gotten geared up with Ghillie, AKS etc.
Got nuked by G3K outside San Arulco.
Rolled up to me in a truck then unloaded explosive rounds or something.
I wasn't even a threat, but folks assume a Ghillie means player hunter, I guess.

Respawned in Ralon and he showed up there almost immediately.
Weird.
He didn't shoot me and I didn't shoot him.
Tried to talk w him and realized I wasn't on direct comm (oops!)
Ended up getting overwhelmed in military buildings by Zeds shortly after.

Enuff for tonite.
If you see G3K, place a bullet firmly in him for me :-)

I've actually been rolling with GEK and the other CKW guys, pretty fun group. If you join up again jump on to their Teamspeak server they kinda have a standing rule that you are fair game if you are not in TS with them.

Gumbie wrote:

I really, really miss playing this game. There's really no other experience like it, but because of the hacking I'm gonna wait for the stand alone.

Right with you. Not worth the heartache. But when it's on... it's gonna be on. We should launch in together.

I finally gave in and tried Lingor, while I wait for other games to be release (including the standalone of this). It's been a refreshing change, and I haven't seen the slightest hint of hacking so far. Maybe i'm just lucky...

Spent a bit of time on the new Fallujah map today.
Not a fan.
It seems to me that each progressive map that shows up becomes more and more like a deathmatch and less like the core survival sim that made DayZ appealing.
Lingor was slightly more PvP and now Fallujah is basically: spawn, run to the southern airfield where there are a TON of barracks chock full of weapons, kill or be killed.
The rest of the map is one big city (hence the name) but almost none of the buildings can be entered and very little loot. And the density of buildings makes losing zed aggro simple.
Oh, and the icing on this little turd-cake is that cheating is rampant.
The final straw was as I'm moving through barracks I hear a whisper to my left telling me to turn around and walk in the opposite direction. I looked around and didn't see anyone near me.
The whispering/taunting continued as I hit three more barracks and ended with gunshots out of thin air that took me out.
Cheater was invisible and still took a full clip to kill me at point blank range.
Lame.
Looks like it's back to Chernarus. I haven't had an issue with cheaters on that map since the new ones have come out and it still feels like true survival not just run and gun.

I did briefly try Takistan, and it just felt... empty. My experiences so far of Lingor have been mixture of zeds and PvP - I've even met some friendly strangers, which was getting to be unheard of back in Chernarus. Vehicles are much easier to come by (I've already found three fully working helicopters) which i'm not too chuffed about, I prefered having to work at a vehicle to get it going again, made it all the more valuble.

Having viewed a quick video of Fallujah, and from your description above, I think I'll pass on that.

I highly recommend getting involved on the CKWGaming.com servers, they just put up a Takistan server last night (or the night before) and have a solid presence on their Lingor server. They have very active admins, I was on last night and they banned three guys in a row who were teleporting around. I've been hanging out on their TS server and whenever there is any hint of hacking going on there is always an admin there that will drop what game they are playing at the time to come logon and observe and enact swift justice if necessary.

They are also looking into putting up a private hive Chernarus server as well.

Would anyone be willing to show a DayZ noob around the game? Back when this was being widely raved around I picked up a copy of ArmA2 but heard all sorts about it being rather a learning wall and never had the time to sink into it. Having finally got round to installing I'm looking for a tour guide to allay the confusion and madness. Any volunteers? Don't worry, I'm prepared for the hazing

(PM, Steam, or sometimes I'm on #gwj are all excellent ways to get in touch!)

Floomi wrote:

Would anyone be willing to show a DayZ noob around the game? Back when this was being widely raved around I picked up a copy of ArmA2 but heard all sorts about it being rather a learning wall and never had the time to sink into it. Having finally got round to installing I'm looking for a tour guide to allay the confusion and madness. Any volunteers? Don't worry, I'm prepared for the hazing

(PM, Steam, or sometimes I'm on #gwj are all excellent ways to get in touch!)

Vent is my usual hangout if I'm online, even if I'm just in a single-player game.

Played a bit with Wink (thanks!), got chased by zombies in Lingor and found no weapons at all. Swapped to Chernarus after he left and found a hatchet, then a shotgun, then a sniper rifle in quick succession. And a jerry can! YESSSS.

So, if I understand correctly, a Lingor-flavor DayZ server is entirely standalone, correct?

If so, I could put one up. I've got sh*t tons of bandwidth.

edit to reword a little: how many of you would be interested in a dedicated, GWJer-only server?

Malor wrote:

how many of you would be interested in a dedicated, GWJer-only server?

If you have the inclination to get it up and running I would certainly enjoy having a more secure DayZ option. If there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

Floomi wrote:

I'm prepared for the hazing

Ok, we're going to need six feet of rope, a gallon of maple syrup, eighty soft-shelled crabs, a staple gun and a car battery.
Where on Chernarus did you say you we're?

Anyone got a how-to for setting up Lingor?

TheWanderer wrote:

Anyone got a how-to for setting up Lingor?

Found this thread: http://www.tunngle.net/community/top...

I haven't tested personally, so can't vouch for it, but seems straightforward.

doesnt DayzCommander do all that for you now? (lingor,fallujah, and others?)

ranalin wrote:

doesnt DayzCommander do all that for you now? (lingor,fallujah, and others?)

For the client, yeah. It's great for that. But it won't set up a server for you.

Malor wrote:

So, if I understand correctly, a Lingor-flavor DayZ server is entirely standalone, correct?

If so, I could put one up. I've got sh*t tons of bandwidth.

edit to reword a little: how many of you would be interested in a dedicated, GWJer-only server?

That would be pretty sweet, although if it's US based, I don't always get a great ping/connection to them.

Not all Lingor servers are individual though, it seems that the vilayer hosted lingor servers have a hive of their own, and i'm sure there's at least one more hosting company that does this.

East Coast, so probably ~100-120ms to Scotland, ~80ms to the West Coast.