DayZ - ArmaII zombie mod

Ugh, took a couple of hours to get running now any server I go in, I see chat but it says "waiting for server response:. From the chat, this is happening to a lot of people.

Arrgh, all the anecdotal enabling going on here is wearing me down. I don't even want ARMA II but I may end up picking it up to give this a go.

Redwing wrote:

Arrgh, all the anecdotal enabling going on here is wearing me down. I don't even want ARMA II but I may end up picking it up to give this a go.

Word of warning, the only decent ping servers (~200ms) around HK are all in Russia. I didn't see anything in Australia.

Grubber788 wrote:
Redwing wrote:

Arrgh, all the anecdotal enabling going on here is wearing me down. I don't even want ARMA II but I may end up picking it up to give this a go.

Word of warning, the only decent ping servers (~200ms) around HK are all in Russia. I didn't see anything in Australia.

Oh good, I might be able to safely avoid this then! Are the servers all official ones? I take it you can't just fire up your own dedicated server.

Since I don't have Operation Arrowhead I am definitely going to wait until the summer sale to pick it up (if it goes on sale) hopefully the mod is out of Alpha by then and is more awesomer.

News article with some quotes from a guy at Bohemia

http://kotaku.com/5910279/pc-zombie-...

That makes me want to buy Operation Arrowhead just to support that kind of developer attitude.

Redwing wrote:
Grubber788 wrote:
Redwing wrote:

Arrgh, all the anecdotal enabling going on here is wearing me down. I don't even want ARMA II but I may end up picking it up to give this a go.

Word of warning, the only decent ping servers (~200ms) around HK are all in Russia. I didn't see anything in Australia.

Oh good, I might be able to safely avoid this then! Are the servers all official ones? I take it you can't just fire up your own dedicated server.

Correct, you have to work closely with the devs to start your own server and apparently it's a real pain in the ass.

Holy crap I already own Operation Arrowhead. When did that happen. Ok I guess Ill give this a try then.

Baron Of Hell wrote:

Holy crap I already own Operation Arrowhead. When did that happen. Ok I guess Ill give this a try then.

You need both ARMA 2 and ARMA 2: OA to run the mod.

edit: Well, you can use the Free version of ARMA 2 + ARMA 2: OA but it won't look pretty and there might be some odd bugs.

I've been making a bunch of videos of DayZ - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...

Man, I have a copy of Diablo 3 waiting for me at home but all I want to do is jump back onto a DayZ and start scavenging for supplies again (died before logging off last night).
I'm currently a bandit with - 19 k Humanity. Going to be a challenge getting that back into the positive so I can return to a survivor skin.

Whats the xpac needed to update to hires graphics? I like this enough i may buy that...

ranalin wrote:

Whats the xpac needed to update to hires graphics? I like this enough i may buy that...

Private Military Company

I tried to find a server last night that was running with the time shifted with no luck. The official forums said Viriginia 7 and 12 were, but they were pitch black. Even worse, it's been raining the last couple days in VA so it was cloudy and raining in the game. I decided to heed Farscry's advice, suck it up, and venture forth into the darkness as cover.

I guess there was a reset or something as I spawned in on the coastline instead of where I logged off. In addition to the real-time aspect, I discovered another thing I'm not fond of. Apparently thirst and hunger continue to grow even when logged off. So basically, every time you log on you better have some food and water ready to go as they'll both be flashing red. Seems kind of a weird design but I love everything else so I'll get over it.

So, I start blindly (literally) wandering around. I can make out the silhouette of trees so I head for those, stumble through a forest, and come out into a large clear field. In the distance I can see the silhouette of large buildings so I head for those. Halfway there I hear a bit of moaning in the field with me so I stop and spin in a circle. Don't know why I bothered; you can't see anything. I figured I had no choice so I pull out my flares and throw 3 of them out in a circle around myself. Once they're thrown I cautiously stand up to see where this zed might be so I can avoid him and my heart sinks. Like a scene out of a horror movie I discover that I'm completely surrounded by around 50 zeds randomly lurching about all around me. I have no idea how I walked into the middle of that without either them noticing or me hearing them. Luckily they still didn't notice me. I crouched back down and spent the most tense 30 minutes ever slowly winding my way through them like a moving mine field.

I finally made it to a shack, closed all the doors, and just sat there in the dark for like 10 minutes waiting for my heartbeat to drop below 200. Someone else wasn't so lucky as I heard the sound of someone running by the shack, silence for a few seconds, then a scream of "holy sh*t!" just before the multiple shrieks of who knows how many zombies being alerted. Shortly after I saw a message of "John has died" which I can only assume was that poor guy. Then I noticed a crossbow was sitting on the floor in front of me. Aw ya.

I plan on playing around 8pm EST if anyone wants to try and join the same servers and see if we can find each other.

I logged on briefly yesterday and had been teleported back to a spawn point near the coast and had full health again. When i logged off i had 3.9k health and broken leg in the middle of a infested hospital grounds. Cool thing is i still have all my gear.

I wish i could find more ammo for the CZ sniper rifle. I've passed up 2 of them so far because i've been spoiled by the winchester shotgun. Ammo everywhere for it and it's almost always a 1 shot kill.

Vega, that sounds unbelievably awesome.

The reason you guys were spawning on the coast is because Rocket reset part of the database a day or so back, everyone spawned back in one of the coastal locations.

I just bought two copies of Diablo III. How am I going to convince my wife that I need to drop another $30 on another game I don't have enough to play?

Seriously though, if we can put together a group to play on regular nights, I will spend the money and join in. Seeing some of the team actions makes me lust after this even more than the solitary survival stuff does. Having enough people to organize scouts, fire teams, medics, etc. in order to run proper raids on larger towns or repair vehicles sounds fantastic.

So very intrigued.

Timeshifted servers you say?

This could be relevant to my interests. I don't mind the dark, but I can't get onto this game before 10pm which means I'm only playing in the dark and that got annoying.

Keeping this mod running is an exercise in futility.

Mr Bismarck wrote:

Timeshifted servers you say?

This could be relevant to my interests. I don't mind the dark, but I can't get onto this game before 10pm which means I'm only playing in the dark and that got annoying.

Yeah, we need a list of which US servers are running with a time-shift. I got on last night for the first time and night is not when you want to start playing. Lighting up a flare is the only way to see anything, yet it means almost instant unwanted attention. I can't honestly see how this game is playable at all during the night phases unless there's night vision equipment available to scavenge at some point.

Has anyone actually played today? I was able to play one short game last night. Didn't do anything and today when I tried to launch it I get the "missing CABuilding...." error. I've downloaded the single files, I tried the updater and the six updater and it keeps giving me the same stupid error.

karmajay wrote:

Has anyone actually played today? I was able to play one short game last night. Didn't do anything and today when I tried to launch it I get the "missing CABuilding...." error. I've downloaded the single files, I tried the updater and the six updater and it keeps giving me the same stupid error.

If you're talking about the error box that pops up while the little "check box" mini-spash screen is working, just click OK and keep playing. It's some kind of known issue, but it doesn't stop the game from functioning.

Thanks Elycion but I finally fixed that issue but can't ever get into a server just into "bug forest".

Time spent trying to play the game - 7 hours
Time playing game - 5 mins

Holla back when it works a bit better

Elycion wrote:

Yeah, we need a list of which US servers are running with a time-shift. I got on last night for the first time and night is not when you want to start playing. Lighting up a flare is the only way to see anything, yet it means almost instant unwanted attention. I can't honestly see how this game is playable at all during the night phases unless there's night vision equipment available to scavenge at some point.

Yes, there are night vision goggles eventually. I hope you have batteries.

Find a timeshifted server so that my eyes don't heal up... CHECK!

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/NStm6l.jpg)

Have a massive neckbeard... CHECK!

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/askhul.jpg)

Get scared witless by a rustling in the bushes only to find out it was a god damned cow... Check.

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/DlERll.jpg)

If I had a knife, and matches, I would have gutted and eaten that bloody cow.

Now I need new pants.

Mr Bismarck wrote:

Yes, there are night vision goggles eventually. I hope you have batteries.

You're evil. Oh, so very evil!

Bismark, which server was that?

If I was a bandit, I would totally stalk that lighthouse. Everyone travelling around there is drawn to it.

Like moths to the flame.

Grubber788 wrote:

If I was a bandit, I would totally stalk that lighthouse. Everyone travelling around there is drawn to it.

Like moths to the flame.

I didn't know if lighthouses would be considered big enough for an item spawn, so I had to check it out. I did go and clear the hill first, without cresting in more than a C-X-C-X bob up and down admittedly. I didn't want to get shot in my first four minutes.

I actually expected someone to be on it, or in it, but there was nothing. Some guy spawned back where I had been standing while I was there and then there was the cow of doom. Other than that, just me and the breeze.

Redhwk wrote:

Bismark, which server was that?

Umm... US6, I think? By this point I was just disconnecting, hitting the next server down and reconnecting, hoping to find one with actual sunshine.

How do you open doors or go up ladders?

Can you ever outrun zombies? Seems like all you can do is shoot one which brings more?

karmajay wrote:

How do you open doors or go up ladders?

Can you ever outrun zombies? Seems like all you can do is shoot one which brings more?

when you point at a door or triangle that's workable a triangle shows up. Use your mousewheel to show the option to operate door or ladder.

If you havnt noticed yet the mousewheel does almost everything for you in Arma2.

As for running, you can but some times it takes awhile. If i know im going to make noise i try and do it by a building i just cleared because they do move slower in buildings. Also make sure you're not standing near a wall. Not sure if it was because i was in a hut, but i was being hit through the wall by one once.