Steam Summer Sale 2012 Gift-All

demonbox wrote:
BlackSabre wrote:
plavonica wrote:
I voted on Torchlight as well. I already own it but it's such a good game I had to vote for it so others can enjoy it at a good price.

I voted for Far cry 2 since I don't have that one.

It's real good. Good luck, though, it's really easy not to like.

You're enablement of that game for me back when I had just built this computer in 2009 was pretty much what sent me down the path so steam sale chasing. Thanks for nothing, jerk, and a hearfelt thanks for setting me loose on a game I knew little more than what you said about it that I spent almost 50 hours loving the vast majority of. I got a little bored in the 2nd half until the grenade truck showed up.

I want to thank both ShopTroll and Manach for gifting me a copy of Shoot Many Robots! I guess ShopTroll wanted to finally compete in a melee match instead of running them!

Thank you Falchion for Saints Row 3. I'll play it as soon as I can build a new PC. I hope you enjoy The Darkness 2.

Darn, I was hoping our own Cory "Demiurge" Banks was one of the people behind Shoot Many Robots.

Dang it, the Amazon deal on Spec Ops: The Line is over. Think it will go less than 33% off on Steam?

Wait. Secret of the Magic Crystals isn't on my wish list?
I need to fix that.

I'm off to bed, I expect there to be at least 500 posts on here by the time I get home from work tomorrow!

Bonus_Eruptus wrote:
There was no plane, I burned down half of Africa, and I could probably never recreate it in a million years.

Recreate? No. Top? Absolutely. So much crazy stuff happens in that game if you're willing look past the warts.

mortalgroove wrote:
Wait. Secret of the Magic Crystals isn't on my wish list?
I need to fix that.

For the Boognish!

Damn. m0nk3yboy got me even before I could add Secret of the Magic Crystals to my wish list!

Thanks for "Dear Esther" shoptroll

IMAGE(http://i.minus.com/isYIiMw5cvqb7.png)

mortalgroove wrote:
Damn. m0nk3yboy got me even before I could add Secret of the Magic Crystals to my wish list!

The quick and pony-less

First one to a happy ending wins!

Much thanks to Shoptroll for Costume Quest!

Trashie deserves love, for he gifted me the pew, and the pew, and Nexus: The Jupiter Incident-flavored lasers.

Stele wrote:
Binary Domain is over.

New flash sale is Take on Helicopters.

Uh... anybody?

Grubber. Explain yourself. Only one of 300 friends that own it. :D

I haven't put enough time into it, but I think if you like the flight model from the ARMA series and want to mess around in unlicensed helicopters, then it's probably worth $17. If you're on the fence, I don't recommend it. I had more fun with Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004.

Bonus_Eruptus wrote:
MannishBoy wrote:
tuffalobuffalo wrote:
mateo wrote:
MrAndrewJ wrote:
I keep avoiding Batman games. I have no game pad, have never used games for windows, and have a pile of Atlus rpgs begging to be played.

They do look amazing, though. If there was a time for me to cave then this is it. Do I dare? If so, why?

I only have Arkham Asylum GOTY, and I haven't played through all of it.

GFW is pretty unobtrusive. You have to sign in when you start the game, but after that it gets out of the way.

The game is pretty railsy...the fights are free form, but you basically get dragged from plot point to plot point via specific paths. You don't really need a game pad for it...it let's you know what buttons to mash on your keyboard.

That said: it looks amazing, is true to the story, and there's something really satisfying about the fighting. You can button mash through them, but if you take some time, you can really fight the way Batman should fight.

Overall, whatever the discount, it's worth a look. Don't let my gaming ADD dissuade you!

WRONG!!!! GFWL with at least Batman Arkham City is a huge issue. I can't recall if AA is the same. It is extremely difficult to transfer saves to a different computer. For example, I played some on my laptop and then wanted to transfer the save to my desktop. It was very difficult and almost not worth it because it messes with settings. The saves are encrypted for some stupid reason. Anyways, plan out which machine you want to play the game on because those saves are basically non-transferable. Because of that, don't worry about backing up saves, either.

Game is awesome, though. You do have to play it with a gamepad because combat requires the left analogue stick to point at your next victim. The WASD keys just don't work for that very well.

True, saves are encrypted and tied to the install itself, so if you want to move saves, you've got to move /appdata folders from the old computer to the new computer.

Really an odd decision on the devs part, because I've got no other GFWL games that require this. So I'm not sure I'd call this a GFWL problem. I'd call it an annoying dev decision.

I'm pretty sure they're just tied to the profile, not the actual install. I finished up AA for Minarchist, and he just had to send me his saved games (two folders, one of which was XLive, and I forget the other). I backed up my folders, deleted them, logged in as Minarchist, exited, copied over his folders, and restarted, and it let me finish up the game as him.

Damn guys, you'd think I said vi was better than Emacs!

My experience with GFWL has been pretty easy. Then again, I don't buy many games that aren't on Steam, so my experience is limited.

YMMV, I suppose.

Shoptroll is a gift-givin' ninja.

Mucho Mucho gracias.

Lucky Wilbury wrote:
Shoptroll is a gift-givin' ninja.

Mucho Mucho gracias.

Well, he does own a shop and all.

Thank you so much, Cragmyre for Shoot Many Robots. I will be a fairy princess as soon as I can.

VI is better than emacs, mateo.

Bonus_Eruptus wrote:
VI is better than emacs, mateo.

But they were so cool...

Just beat Lara Croft. If it comes back on sale I recommend it (I might have said this before, I don't recall). If the DLC goes back on sale I plan on purchasing all of it. I can't imagine playing the game without a controller would be any fun though but it could be.

Ticket to Ride is in the Indie Bundle? Any good?

Edit: Also, quick, sell me on Shoot Many Robots!

DeThroned wrote:
I can't imagine playing the game without a controller would be any fun though but it could be.

I can't imagine infinite space. Yours is probably more practical.

FridgeGremlin! wrote:
Ticket to Ride is in the Indie Bundle? Any good?

Edit: Also, quick, sell me on Shoot Many Robots!

Get it. It is the best 2.49 you'll spend during this steam sale.

DeThroned wrote:
Just beat Lara Croft. If it comes back on sale I recommend it (I might have said this before, I don't recall). If the DLC goes back on sale I plan on purchasing all of it. I can't imagine playing the game without a controller would be any fun though but it could be.

Is this for Garden of Light?

Bonus_Eruptus wrote:
MannishBoy wrote:
tuffalobuffalo wrote:
mateo wrote:
MrAndrewJ wrote:
I keep avoiding Batman games. I have no game pad, have never used games for windows, and have a pile of Atlus rpgs begging to be played.

They do look amazing, though. If there was a time for me to cave then this is it. Do I dare? If so, why?

I only have Arkham Asylum GOTY, and I haven't played through all of it.

GFW is pretty unobtrusive. You have to sign in when you start the game, but after that it gets out of the way.

The game is pretty railsy...the fights are free form, but you basically get dragged from plot point to plot point via specific paths. You don't really need a game pad for it...it let's you know what buttons to mash on your keyboard.

That said: it looks amazing, is true to the story, and there's something really satisfying about the fighting. You can button mash through them, but if you take some time, you can really fight the way Batman should fight.

Overall, whatever the discount, it's worth a look. Don't let my gaming ADD dissuade you!

WRONG!!!! GFWL with at least Batman Arkham City is a huge issue. I can't recall if AA is the same. It is extremely difficult to transfer saves to a different computer. For example, I played some on my laptop and then wanted to transfer the save to my desktop. It was very difficult and almost not worth it because it messes with settings. The saves are encrypted for some stupid reason. Anyways, plan out which machine you want to play the game on because those saves are basically non-transferable. Because of that, don't worry about backing up saves, either.

Game is awesome, though. You do have to play it with a gamepad because combat requires the left analogue stick to point at your next victim. The WASD keys just don't work for that very well.

True, saves are encrypted and tied to the install itself, so if you want to move saves, you've got to move /appdata folders from the old computer to the new computer.

Really an odd decision on the devs part, because I've got no other GFWL games that require this. So I'm not sure I'd call this a GFWL problem. I'd call it an annoying dev decision.

I'm pretty sure they're just tied to the profile, not the actual install. I finished up AA for Minarchist, and he just had to send me his saved games (two folders, one of which was XLive, and I forget the other). I backed up my folders, deleted them, logged in as Minarchist, exited, copied over his folders, and restarted, and it let me finish up the game as him.

No, they're definitely to the install, maybe with a hook to the Live ID. I tried to move my Batman AA install onto my new computer after I'd already started Batman AC. I could do it, but it would break AC. I could fix AC and it would break AA. If I'd moved AA first, then installed AC with the data from the initial GFWL install data, it most likely would have allowed for both sets of saves to work.

Doing all this never affected any other GFWL saves on my install. Stuff like Bioshock 2, Dirt 2 & 3, etc, etc. It's a weird Rocksteady thing. Somehow tied to some identifier in you GFWL machine that's specific to that installation.

mateo wrote:

Damn guys, you'd think I said vi was better than Emacs!

My experience with GFWL has been pretty easy. Then again, I don't buy many games that aren't on Steam, so my experience is limited.

YMMV, I suppose.

I had enough in my wallet for Arkham City or two discounted copies of Sanctum for my family. They got Sanctum.

I do, still, very much appreciate the time you guys took to offer advice, warnings and stories about the Batman games. Maybe if it comes up a third time, I'll finally cave. Your advice - especially the part about it being railsy - made it less frightening of an investment.

Mostly, though, thank you all for your help. It went noticed and appreciated.

Someone asked earlier, any thoughts on stronghold 3 gold?

FridgeGremlin! wrote:

Edit: Also, quick, sell me on Shoot Many Robots!

There are robots. Many of them. You shoot them.