Steam Summer Sale 2012 Gift-All

ahrezmendi wrote:
ClockworkHouse wrote:
Ariskany Evan wrote:

You did iiiiiiit! So, thanks to Cragmyre and Momgamer/Clockwork for Limbo. I have so much love to give.

What a convoluted path that took.

Especially since the copy Momgamer gave I think was the one I gave her. Glad to see that poor, lost copy of LIMBO finally found a home, it deserves it.

It was. And I'm searching for a suitably epic turn-around.

I picked up a 4-pack of Dogfighter ages ago to hand out to my static WoW group, none of whom redeemed the gift. I've got 3 copies going to the first 3 good limericks people message me on Steam.

mooosicle wrote:

Now I know Minarchist is even lamer than I ever imagined.

You have a limited imagination.

Oh man, what a bummer. I was ready to take the plunge on some heavily discounted games on my wishlist, but steam refuses to SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY, since I am not in my own country this week, but 50 miles south, in Belgium. Steam doesn't like it when purchasing from abroad, some kind of country lock. Paypal nor CC worked.
But, not all is lost, Yon Rabbit gifted me Fable and I gave away Sanctum, so I'm still in the spirit of the season.

estorino wrote:

Oh man, what a bummer. I was ready to take the plunge on some heavily discounted games on my wishlist, but steam refuses to SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY, since I am not in my own country this week, but 50 miles south, in Belgium. Steam doesn't like it when purchasing from abroad, some kind of country lock. Paypal nor CC worked.
But, not all is lost, Yon Rabbit gifted me Fable and I gave away Sanctum, so I'm still in the spirit of the season. :)

Does Paypal work on it's own? You could paypal people money to buy you games and gift them to you.

And that is the weirdest double-post evar!

That said, anyone played Fractal: Make Blooms Not War? Ran into it on someone else's wishlist and I'm intrigued.

TheHipGamer wrote:
garion333 wrote:
TheHipGamer wrote:
Trashie wrote:
Veloxi wrote:
Trashie wrote:

Phew. Thanks for the heads-up.

Very happy to help, I couldn't recommend that game at three cents, let alone three dollars.

I'm holding out for a GalCiv 2 sale as I've been looking for a solid 4x space game that will run on one of my aging laptops. If not, maybe I'll finally try to figure out Sword of the Stars or just play more Sins.

Gal Civ is not a solid space game, and it's somewhat resource intensive. I'm a fan of Space Empires IV (not V! Never V!).

We can argue the former point some other time, but as far as Gal Civ being resource intensive, well, my laptop from late 2005 plays it. He's probably okay.

Are we considering 2005 "somewhat old" for hardware? What does that make me, garion333?

Don't answer that. I don't want to know.

Kind of agree with Veloxi on this one. I liked GalCiv a lot (not as much as MoO 2, but still a good game). GalCiv 2 was a well made piece of programming, but it just didn't click with me either. Maybe because I care more about gameplay than spaceship customization, but it just felt very meh.

On an even further tangent, it just makes me cringe that Matrix games can't somehow get the most excellent Distant Worlds frachise onto Steam. I'm intentionally not picking up Call of Duty Black Ops and Modern Warfare 3 (both on sale) so I can justify getting the DW: Legends expansion when the sale is over.

Trashie wrote:

Thanks all. Poking around at everybody's list, it seems like Nexus - the Jupiter Incident and Star Ruler are good bets as well in addition to Space Empires IV.

I'll look at the last two and maybe add them to my wishlist ;). I'm looking for MOO2 style simplicity.

ahrezmendi wrote:

Someone was asking for enabling on Company of Heroes a few pages back, and I'm throwing my hat in that ring. Fantastic game, it's what turned me into a Relic fan. You really can't go wrong with CoH at $2.50.

A thousand times yes. I'm not even a big RTS fan and COH is simply incredible. It's very sophisticated and fuels more adrenaline than I would have assumed. Huge thumbs up for this one.

Stylez wrote:
ahrezmendi wrote:
Archangel wrote:

Ahrezmendi, you are a nut.

I really can't disagree with this. I've nearly emptied my 2nd batch of steam wallet funds. This is going to be the last one though, so apologies to anybody who doesn't get a gift this sale, I'll try to hit you next sale.

You're the hero GWJ deserves.

Ahrezmendi: A hero in the Steam Sale thread, but a villain in the Pile thread.

momgamer wrote:
ahrezmendi wrote:
ClockworkHouse wrote:
Ariskany Evan wrote:

You did iiiiiiit! So, thanks to Cragmyre and Momgamer/Clockwork for Limbo. I have so much love to give.

What a convoluted path that took.

Especially since the copy Momgamer gave I think was the one I gave her. Glad to see that poor, lost copy of LIMBO finally found a home, it deserves it.

It was. And I'm searching for a suitably epic turn-around. ;)

The game almost ended up in LIMBO :O

If you can't get a piranha gun to work, there are always piranha scissors:

Furtivespy wrote:
Stylez wrote:
ahrezmendi wrote:
Archangel wrote:

Ahrezmendi, you are a nut.

I really can't disagree with this. I've nearly emptied my 2nd batch of steam wallet funds. This is going to be the last one though, so apologies to anybody who doesn't get a gift this sale, I'll try to hit you next sale.

You're the hero GWJ deserves.

Ahrezmendi: A hero in the Steam Sale thread, but a villain in the Pile thread.

I don't even visit that thread anymore, it makes me ashamed/proud/sad/happy, all at the same time. My head can't take it.

momgamer wrote:

And that is the weirdest double-post evar!

That said, anyone played Fractal: Make Blooms Not War? Ran into it on someone else's wishlist and I'm intrigued.

It's a puzzle game from the makers of Auditorium. They used to have a demo up on the official site, but they've taken it down since then. I haven't played the full game, but the demo was really cool. There's also an iPad version.

Public Service Announcement:

If you've changed your Steam name/ID at all, please make sure your forum signature and your GWJ profile field are up to date. Steam's username search is not very good, which makes it tricky to try to find you. On behalf of your future Steam friends, thanks in advance!

ClockworkHouse wrote:
momgamer wrote:

And that is the weirdest double-post evar!

That said, anyone played Fractal: Make Blooms Not War? Ran into it on someone else's wishlist and I'm intrigued.

It's a puzzle game from the makers of Auditorium. They used to have a demo up on the official site, but they've taken it down since then. I haven't played the full game, but the demo was really cool. There's also an iPad version.

And Clocky manages a double-enable. Now I have to pick a platform!

Thanks to Chaz for Hamilton's Great Adventure!
Thanks to Jolly Bill for Puzzle Agent!

Looks like I need to start trimming down my pile!

Archangel wrote:

Public Service Announcement:

Guys, if you've changed your Steam name/ID at all, please make sure your forum signature and your GWJ profile field are up to date. Steam's username search is not very good and it makes it tricky to try to find you. On behalf of your future Steam friends, thanks in advance!

I usually start on the GWJ group page and do a username search from there, since multiple people can have the same (or at least similar) usernames. It may not help with changed names, but it does make it easier to find the right one.

estorino wrote:

Oh man, what a bummer. I was ready to take the plunge on some heavily discounted games on my wishlist, but steam refuses to SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY, since I am not in my own country this week, but 50 miles south, in Belgium. Steam doesn't like it when purchasing from abroad, some kind of country lock. Paypal nor CC worked.
But, not all is lost, Yon Rabbit gifted me Fable and I gave away Sanctum, so I'm still in the spirit of the season. :)

I contacted steam support once when I was on vacation and wanted to buy something and there's a workaround for that if you access the website through a browser instead of using the client. My home location is Canada, so when I'm out of country I'm able to buy stuff through the website at http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=ca where ca is the country code for Canada.

Archangel wrote:

Public Service Announcement:

If you've changed your Steam name/ID at all, please make sure your forum signature and your GWJ profile field are up to date. Steam's username search is not very good, which makes it tricky to try to find you. On behalf of your future Steam friends, thanks in advance!

+1

It's worth noting that the web user search is terrible, but every name I've put into the actual client search has found folks. So don't even bother with web user search.

Just as an FYI, if anyone wants to pop me a friend invite, please do so. I like getting friend invites. I can't promise gifts (see my earlier post), but I do like having more friends.

I was just telling Niseg that my gifting days are done for a while, I just got a tax bill for $4,000.
I'd already paid $11,000 in income tax fo the year, but the government is finally hitting me for my student loans.

ahrezmendi wrote:

I don't even visit that thread anymore, it makes me ashamed/proud/sad/happy, all at the same time. My head can't take it.

Too... many... emotions...

ForcefulCheese wrote:

The ForcefulCheese household would like to thank Mortalgroove and Acetate3 for copies of Limbo. They arrived a few minutes apart, so I will be passing one copy on to my son CaptainLumberjack. He does't have a job yet. But I will be paying something forward to make it right.

Edit: And a third copy just came in from Dyni. I'll pass it along, so friend me up if we aren't already.

Great minds think alike! I become very concerned whenever I meet someone who still hasn't played Limbo. This sale is a great way to remedy that problem.

AOE III bagged.

Prozac wrote:

I was just telling Niseg that my gifting days are done for a while, I just got a tax bill for $4,000.
I'd already paid $11,000 in income tax fo the year, but the government is finally hitting me for my student loans. :(

Ouch, that's rough timing.

Prozac wrote:

I was just telling Niseg that my gifting days are done for a while, I just got a tax bill for $4,000.
I'd already paid $11,000 in income tax fo the year, but the government is finally hitting me for my student loans. :(

So is this what I have to look forward to in a year when I graduate? I just wrote a $10,000 tuition check for the semester... another one will be written next semester, and I'll still be down over $100,000...

This makes me even more grateful for the gifts I have received during the sale. Seriously, guys... thanks a ton.

JillSammich wrote:
Prozac wrote:

I was just telling Niseg that my gifting days are done for a while, I just got a tax bill for $4,000.
I'd already paid $11,000 in income tax fo the year, but the government is finally hitting me for my student loans. :(

So is this what I have to look forward to in a year when I graduate? I just wrote a $10,000 tuition check for the semester... another one will be written next semester, and I'll still be down over $100,000...

This makes me even more grateful for the gifts I have received during the sale. Seriously, guys... thanks a ton.

Yeah, I recently resigned from my job and decided to start my own company. I've been trying to balance my giving with buying and keep it small, as I know there will be unexpected expenses. I'm expecting them.

So, yeah, I really appreciate every gift that's come my way.
You guys rock the casbah.

Thanks to Krev for Limbo, I've been interested in trying that for a while.

“What is community college? Well, you've heard all kinds of things. You've heard it's 'loser college' for remedial teens, twenty-something drop-outs, middle-aged divorcees, and old people keeping their minds active as they circle the drain of eternity. That's what you heard, however... I wish you luck!”