2012/13 Soccer Thread

Swansea win 2-0 over Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

Craziest sports fact I've heard an announcer say in a long, long time? "We may be looking at a League Cup final played between Swansea and Bradford."

Dimmerswitch wrote:

Fellaini has historically played less advanced than he is this season (fun fact: Psych had started moving him into an AMC role back in his FM2010 game, a move I mocked at the time but turns out to have been prescient).

Clearly some team needs to sign me up, quickly.

Dimmerswitch wrote:

Fellaini has historically played less advanced than he is this season (fun fact: Psych had started moving him into an AMC role back in his FM2010 game, a move I mocked at the time but turns out to have been prescient).

If we're gonna lose Fellaini, please let it be to a team outside the Premier League. I really don't want to have to face him.

No you dont. No one likes playing against him, for many more reasons than one.

Good god, someone give Jon Walters a hug.

Can't stop scoring.

davet010 wrote:

Just for that head butt, or the other one, or the hand to the face - all against Shawcross,and all in the same game ?

I just feel that Balotelli gets inordinate amounts of grief - this week's Match of the Day led with City doing Newcastle, yet both Midnite Mark and Mr Boring (Shearer) couldn't wait to get into poor, gentle Mario, who wasn't even there.

Balotelli is far from being picked on unfairly. He acts like a child on the pitch, storms off the changing rooms when he's subbed, argues with Manchini during training.
He's been in more than a few incidents like the Fellani headbutt, remember when stomped on Scott Parkers head

He is a good player when he turns up. One of my mates is a big Blue nose, and I think he said it best "When Balotelli comes on you don't know what you'll get, he'll either score a hat trick or get sent off in 10 mins". He is young, but I think it's doing him no good being at city with a manager like Manchini. Manchini doesn't look like he can control the ego's he has in the changing room. You think Tevez and Balotelli would still be at United a season later after behaving like they did. Fergie would have got rid ages ago, he's famous for it, that's why you rarely see things like this at old trafford;

You don't see things like that at the Swamp because (a) United's training ground is at Carrington, and (b) their training ground is off limits to reporters and not near enough to a public right-of-way to be accessible to vermin...er sorry, the press. Ferguson saves it for the dressing room, as Beckham's forehead can attest. And I still maintain the Parker 'stamp' was him spinning round.

And wow, players arguing with the coach in training. I'm sure that doesn't happen, ooo, every 10 seconds or so somewhere round the world.

Prederick wrote:

Good god, someone give Jon Walters a hug.

...looks at Fantasy League team, nervously - oh, thank the lord, I'd transferred him out.

Got Begovic though, so Walters has had his revenge.

davet010 wrote:

You don't see things like that at the Swamp because (a) United's training ground is at Carrington, and (b) their training ground is off limits to reporters and not near enough to a public right-of-way to be accessible to vermin...er sorry, the press. Ferguson saves it for the dressing room, as Beckham's forehead can attest. And I still maintain the Parker 'stamp' was him spinning round.

And wow, players arguing with the coach in training. I'm sure that doesn't happen, ooo, every 10 seconds or so somewhere round the world.

Obviously I'm not saying that it's an issue unique to you Blue noses, I'm just fed up of you lot defending him when he's clearly a child in a mans body. I think he'll be gone next season if he doesn't have a word with himself.

What do you think of your game performance this season, you look like a different team. I watched probably 10 city games last season and in most games you dominated and out classed, you countered in numbers and scored on average 3 goals a game, this season is a different story. What's changed? Do you think you'll have a strong second half to the season?

Darned if I know what's changed. I think the pace has gone from some of the counterattacking, and City appear to be getting too narrow at times...and have adopted the old Arsenal bad habits of trying to walk the ball in or score sublime goals every week. Having said that, they've only lost twice - once to United with a last minute stroke of luck, and once to Sunderland where City should have been over the hill and far away by half time, and have scored more goals than anyone other than United and Chelsea, and the latter's stats were padded by that 8-0 tonking of a hapless Villa.

Re Mario, it may be that Bert has convinced himself that he is the one who can harness his undoubted talent (just ask Germany's defence for references) into useful channels, and that this is a blind spot. Of course, if we can lob him to Napoli with £10m for Cavani, then I'd drive him to the airport myself.

A lot for City will depend on how they go on while Yaya is away, although I think that Milner can do a decent job in that spot. Unfortunately, Rodwell seems to spend a lot of time being injured (and I'm not really sure who's idea he was), and Javi Garcia looks a bit ponderous for me, I still think Bert had Javi Martinez lined up for that central midfield slot before he went to join Clown and co at Bayern Munich.

End of season prediction - 2nd or 3rd. Much worse than that and Bert might be replaced, potentially by Mourinho or Guardiola...having seen RM draw 0-0 with Osasuna in a display of staggering mediocrity, I'm thinking that once RM go out of the Chumps League, Mourinho's a gonner.

You never know whats gonna happen, I think last season highlighted that for us all. I can still see you lot winning it again, but I hope we keep the points in the bag and hope you lot drop a few more - especially when you come to our place. I can't actually believe our goal difference is better than yours, there's not allot in it, but it highlights what a different team you are this season.

Not sure about Milner myself, but as you say, if he turns up he can do a job.
Sometimes I think Yaya tends to hide in a game, can't remember who you were playing, it was about a month back, and he touched the ball once or twice in the entire first half. I guess everyone has their off days though.

I hope we turn the scousers over tomorrow (today)!

dissposablehero wrote:

You never know whats gonna happen, I think last season highlighted that for us all. I can still see you lot winning it again, but I hope we keep the points in the bag and hope you lot drop a few more - especially when you come to our place. I can't actually believe our goal difference is better than yours, there's not allot in it, but it highlights what a different team you are this season.

Not sure about Milner myself, but as you say, if he turns up he can do a job.
Sometimes I think Yaya tends to hide in a game, can't remember who you were playing, it was about a month back, and he touched the ball once or twice in the entire first half. I guess everyone has their off days though.

I hope we turn the scousers over tomorrow (today)!

Did you or did you not hear about this lil dutch fella called "van Persie"?

no way man. no way.

ps. anything less than skinning liverpool given where they are would make me sad for the day tomorrow (tomorrow, still yesterday here ;p).

van Persie's luck will run out soon - besides, he has to score goals because

(a) the defence is tripe, despite containing about £100m worth of 'talent'

(b) the potato-faced halfwit isn't scoring.

IMAGE(http://www.101greatgoals.com/wp-content/gallery/gimages/torres-vs-walters.png)

You could say he contributed +3 to Chelsea's goal difference, considering the missed penalty as well. Lord knows what he felt like after that one pinged off the bar, someone should have told him to imagine he was playing for the Blues

davet010 wrote:

van Persie's luck will run out soon

Oh, Dave. You don't disappoint.

Hell, even I can admit that United did great piece of business on van Persie. [pukes]

Diaby! He lives! It's like a new signing!

Actually fancy arsenal if he lasts more then 20mins... could really control this game in the mid.

I give him 30-45 minutes. Still, it's exactly what I wanted all this time - Santi on the wing, bigger (fragile) man in the center.
Also, Rosicky is not even on the bench, even though Arseblog half-expected him to make an appearance.

edit: Oh, wait, no Arteta.

So, Vidic is credited with a goal from an offside position, and Ashley Young jumps into Agger and is not penalised ? How so ?

Oh yeah, it's Howard Webb.

IMAGE(http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/OEevU_ZEljRCYllPNs_ejw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NQ--/http://media.zenfs.com/en-GB/blogs/early-doors/110113webb2.jpg)

You can't help but laugh at Wenger telling everyone at the press conference that we have two players for every position, then starting with Diaby who hasn't played in three months and bringing on injured Giroud.
United's strikeforce is Wellbeck, Hernandez, Rooney and van Persie. Ours is Giroud who shouldn't play.

I know it's hard to find good players in January, so why won't he just say so. I don't even dare to think that the answer to this question is that he isn't looking at all.

I think it was maybe that his other leg was raised as well, hard to see from this angle.

edit: actually, looking from other angle, he didn't raise it, I think

edit: still, it's two-footed, so maybe it was that

Red card ?

Yeah, right.

IMAGE(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8329/8376384075_4c47b41c24_o.gif)

Five years ago you wouldn't even have got a yellow for that, let alone a red.

Good effort from City that, 2-0, one kicked off the line, a missed penalty and Tevez missing a sitter. Would have been worth £62, although perhaps not the additional £65 for the train, and the cash for beer and food.

Nice performances from most of the lads, but how Sky gave Dzeko MOTM is beyond me - Milner was head and shoulders above everyone else.

davet010 wrote:

van Persie's luck will run out soon - besides, he has to score goals because

(a) the defence is tripe, despite containing about £100m worth of 'talent'

(b) the potato-faced halfwit isn't scoring.

;)

Luck? What ARE you talking about, I'll bet if he was at City you'd have a sore throat from sucking him off. He's a class striker, he was at Arsenal and would have been no matter where he went.

Defo a yellow, dunno about a red though, but that's what the game has turned into. Not a bad weekend for results then, we sorted the scousers (although we should have scored at least one more) out and you sorted the southerners out. Is it something like the first time you've won there in 30 years?

davet010 wrote:

So, Vidic is credited with a goal from an offside position, and Ashley Young jumps into Agger and is not penalised ? How so ?

Oh yeah, it's Howard Webb.

Urm, did you see Kagawa getting rugby tacked in the box with such force he nearly knocked out Pepe Reina? Take your blue goggles off.

And it's the linesmans job to call offside - it's not like decisions have never gone your way. Just like the penalty you were "given" against Dortmund in the 90th min for no reason what so ever, and Real Madrid having a player sent off, again for no reason and you still couldn't win. Not even channel five football for you this season!!

dissposablehero wrote:
davet010 wrote:

van Persie's luck will run out soon - besides, he has to score goals because

(a) the defence is tripe, despite containing about £100m worth of 'talent'

(b) the potato-faced halfwit isn't scoring.

;)

Luck? What ARE you talking about, I'll bet if he was at City you'd have a sore throat from sucking him off. He's a class striker, he was at Arsenal and would have been no matter where he went.

I thought he was talking about Persie's luck in not getting hurt yet, its not like you can score goals while on the bench in street cloths.

True, but it's more and more evident that his streak of injuries was just bad luck and perhaps mismanagement of treatment. Ever since coming back for Arsenal he's been really fit and went through couple of scary challenges on his ankles unscathed.

Of course I wouldn't mind him taking turn for worse

edit: Pred, did you watch Fulham v Wigan? Di Santo looks like surprisingly decent striker, last thing I expected from him.
Speaking of which, Chelsea should get Lukaku back next season and give him some playing time, then dump Torres.

davet010 wrote:

So, Vidic is credited with a goal from an offside position, and Ashley Young jumps into Agger and is not penalised ? How so ?

Oh yeah, it's Howard Webb.

IMAGE(http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/OEevU_ZEljRCYllPNs_ejw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NQ--/http://media.zenfs.com/en-GB/blogs/early-doors/110113webb2.jpg)

awwww come on, that guy has made as many dubious decisions AGAINST united as well as for.

davet010 wrote:

van Persie's luck will run out soon - besides, he has to score goals because

(a) the defence is tripe, despite containing about £100m worth of 'talent'

(b) the potato-faced halfwit isn't scoring.

;)

hey man. the 'potato faced halfwit' has been on the sidelines lately. i must add, tevez is far uglier AND dumber.

also, and as someone who watches the United games (i assume you dont watch every single one), while lacking goals Rooney's been a pretty damn solid 'sneijder' for us, a player everyone seemed to think we really needed to buy for the last 10 years for whatever reason.

ps. also, persie's luck hasn't been slowin down!! if he least keeps up until rooney's back... muhahaha.
pps. i m more worried about injuiries than his luck. his form is good enough to carry well on past this current season imo. my concern his physical form.
ppps. yeah, we have had some defense issues this season as well as the last, didn't stop us from barely losing the championship by goal difference though. ;p

Saw this at the gym, and immediately thought of this thread.

A United fan with a Mancunian accent ? Dream on - they're rarer than white rhinos, whenever Sky Sports tries to interview anyone outside The Swamp, the usual demographic is 2 Irish, 1 Australian, 1 Cockney, 1 West Country carrot-muncher. And someone from Salford maybe, but at speed as he's carrying the wheels off the truck.

Notice the red was outside the Salford Lads club, ie in a different city entirely.

davet010 wrote:

A United fan with a Mancunian accent ? Dream on - they're rarer than white rhinos, whenever Sky Sports tries to interview anyone outside The Swamp, the usual demographic is 2 Irish, 1 Australian, 1 Cockney, 1 West Country carrot-muncher. And someone from Salford maybe, but at speed as he's carrying the wheels off the truck.

Notice the red was outside the Salford Lads club, ie in a different city entirely.

;)

blah blah blah, same old bitter Blue Nose blah blah blah, change the station 'cause your getting boring now.

You're just a bitter

Dimmerswitch wrote:

Saw this at the gym, and immediately thought of this thread.

That's one of the best adverts I've ever seen!!