2012/13 Soccer Thread

Pikey26 wrote:

I think Guardiola is gonna come to United. Not as excited about that as some are, but all the signs seem to point to United topping his 'next-to-do' list.

Thats if he can stay out of the game for that long.

I honestly believe hes 100% untouchable right now during his sabbatical and good for him. Have some time with his family.

I wouldn't be surprised if he pops his head up come summer though to see what jobs are available and if none to his fancy then he stays out till Ferguson is retired.

City has the money and stability to make him an offer he cant refuse though if they decide to part ways with Mancini (he doesn't win the league). Sorry Dave. Love it or hate it you know its a possibility even if you don't believe in Pep much.

edit:

And, according to the Daily Express, the United boss revealed that he could call it a day at the end of the 2013-14 season.

So were not confusing dates.

(This was a reply to Pikey's point)

Unless you think this is Fergie's last season, then I can't see that happening. I also wonder why you think United would be top of his 'to-do' list - he's already won the CL and piles of domestic trophies, and United's showing against the mighty Reading won't be selling them to him...still, he never really sorted the defence at Barcelona either.

If I were his advisor, I'd be telling him that the first person in to succeed Fergie will be on a hiding to nothing - everything they do will be compared to him, and United have already said that they'll be keeping him on after he retires from the manager's job as some kind of 'ambassador'. United know how hard it is to replace a successful manager - last time after Busby they used a sacrificial lamb (McGuinness) because they knew the 68 team was falling apart and no one else would take the poison chalice because Busby was still hanging round the club like a bad smell.

I'll be very interested to see if Guardiola will last at a club where he isn't lionised like a god from the start. If I was to put money on it, I'd see him somewhere like Bayern or one of the Russian clubs.

davet010 wrote:

Unless you think this is Fergie's last season, then I can't see that happening. I also wonder why you think United would be top of his 'to-do' list - he's already won the CL and piles of domestic trophies, and United's showing against the mighty Reading won't be selling them to him...still, he never really sorted the defence at Barcelona either.

If I were his advisor, I'd be telling him that the first person in to succeed Fergie will be on a hiding to nothing - everything they do will be compared to him, and United have already said that they'll be keeping him on after he retires from the manager's job as some kind of 'ambassador'. United know how hard it is to replace a successful manager - last time after Busby they used a sacrificial lamb (McGuinness) because they knew the 68 team was falling apart and no one else would take the poison chalice because Busby was still hanging round the club like a bad smell.

I'll be very interested to see if Guardiola will last at a club where he isn't lionised like a god from the start. If I was to put money on it, I'd see him somewhere like Bayern or one of the Russian clubs.

HES GOING TO CITY AND YOU KNOW IT!!!!

jowner wrote:
davet010 wrote:

Unless you think this is Fergie's last season, then I can't see that happening. I also wonder why you think United would be top of his 'to-do' list - he's already won the CL and piles of domestic trophies, and United's showing against the mighty Reading won't be selling them to him...still, he never really sorted the defence at Barcelona either.

If I were his advisor, I'd be telling him that the first person in to succeed Fergie will be on a hiding to nothing - everything they do will be compared to him, and United have already said that they'll be keeping him on after he retires from the manager's job as some kind of 'ambassador'. United know how hard it is to replace a successful manager - last time after Busby they used a sacrificial lamb (McGuinness) because they knew the 68 team was falling apart and no one else would take the poison chalice because Busby was still hanging round the club like a bad smell.

I'll be very interested to see if Guardiola will last at a club where he isn't lionised like a god from the start. If I was to put money on it, I'd see him somewhere like Bayern or one of the Russian clubs.

HES GOING TO CITY AND YOU KNOW IT!!!!

:D

What a bummer - we miss out on Twitcher, Elephant Man is still available and we end up with Guardiola. Wonder if Lionel Messi likes pies ?

davet010 wrote:
jowner wrote:
davet010 wrote:

Unless you think this is Fergie's last season, then I can't see that happening. I also wonder why you think United would be top of his 'to-do' list - he's already won the CL and piles of domestic trophies, and United's showing against the mighty Reading won't be selling them to him...still, he never really sorted the defence at Barcelona either.

If I were his advisor, I'd be telling him that the first person in to succeed Fergie will be on a hiding to nothing - everything they do will be compared to him, and United have already said that they'll be keeping him on after he retires from the manager's job as some kind of 'ambassador'. United know how hard it is to replace a successful manager - last time after Busby they used a sacrificial lamb (McGuinness) because they knew the 68 team was falling apart and no one else would take the poison chalice because Busby was still hanging round the club like a bad smell.

I'll be very interested to see if Guardiola will last at a club where he isn't lionised like a god from the start. If I was to put money on it, I'd see him somewhere like Bayern or one of the Russian clubs.

HES GOING TO CITY AND YOU KNOW IT!!!!

:D

What a bummer - we miss out on Twitcher, Elephant Man is still available and we end up with Guardiola. Wonder if Lionel Messi likes pies ?

Why not? Pep is the mole to convince Messi to come and to get the Sheiks to stump up the new record signing fee to finance Barca's long term future. Would anyone be upset besides the Barca fans? Arn't Barca's books slightly suspect anyways that 80m-100m pounds would shore up nicely.

Its more plausible then Chelsea as I'm sure he would demand separation of ownership in meddling with his plans. He would also get a much longer leash at City to start off poorly if he actually isn't a managerial god.

Queue Mourinho to United in 2014 to renew his rivalry with Pep Theres your consolation Pikey.

Back to the Reading/United game which started out as allegedly record breaking, the second half's been a complete bore. Oh yeah RvP had one of biggest c*ck-ups ever. Stole the ball from the goalie who tried to get cute, beat him, and the blasted the ball into the stands.

ps. I still really don't like young. Saw him win a Yellow with a dive fit for a low-budget Flipper sequel #10. Ronaldo at least made it believable/understandable that he was being f*cked with (defenders did seem to gout of their way to f*ck with him more so than most), Young is just sad.

jowner wrote:
davet010 wrote:
jowner wrote:
davet010 wrote:

Unless you think this is Fergie's last season, then I can't see that happening. I also wonder why you think United would be top of his 'to-do' list - he's already won the CL and piles of domestic trophies, and United's showing against the mighty Reading won't be selling them to him...still, he never really sorted the defence at Barcelona either.

If I were his advisor, I'd be telling him that the first person in to succeed Fergie will be on a hiding to nothing - everything they do will be compared to him, and United have already said that they'll be keeping him on after he retires from the manager's job as some kind of 'ambassador'. United know how hard it is to replace a successful manager - last time after Busby they used a sacrificial lamb (McGuinness) because they knew the 68 team was falling apart and no one else would take the poison chalice because Busby was still hanging round the club like a bad smell.

I'll be very interested to see if Guardiola will last at a club where he isn't lionised like a god from the start. If I was to put money on it, I'd see him somewhere like Bayern or one of the Russian clubs.

HES GOING TO CITY AND YOU KNOW IT!!!!

:D

What a bummer - we miss out on Twitcher, Elephant Man is still available and we end up with Guardiola. Wonder if Lionel Messi likes pies ?

Why not? Pep is the mole to convince Messi to come and to get the Sheiks to stump up the new record signing fee to finance Barca's long term future. Would anyone be upset besides the Barca fans? Arn't Barca's books slightly suspect anyways that 80m-100m pounds would shore up nicely.

Its more plausible then Chelsea as I'm sure he would demand separation of ownership in meddling with his plans. He would also get a much longer leash at City to start off poorly if he actually isn't a managerial god.

Can any one honestly even picture any self-respecting manager going to Chelsea now?

Anyways, not sure about City. I never thought of Guardiola as someone who did all too well with money. Much of his success came from man-managing the squad he inherited and knowing how to make the best out of that. Most of his acquisitions were kind of a bust. I'd look to Mourinhno for a top-level manager who would thrive with money in the transfer market. Personally, Mourinhno being given the kind of cash City has rolling around frightens me.

jowner wrote:

Queue Mourinho to United in 2014 to renew his rivalry with Pep Theres your consolation Pikey.

ew. just.

Lol fine.

You can have Solskjaer. Dave can have Mourinho (or keep Mancini f*ck if I care) and Arsenal will take Pep.

Pep also signs Falcao and brings Cesc back.

Everyone is happy then right

edit: and Chelsea fans can have 'their Chelsea back'. Which means they win f*ck all and screw off

jowner wrote:

Lol fine.

You can have Solskjaer. Dave can have Mourinho (or keep Mancini f*ck if I care) and Arsenal will take Pep.

Pep also signs Falcao and brings Cesc back.

Everyone is happy then right ;)

No. I need someone to come in after Ferguson, so that Solskjaer can swoop in for THAT person as the hero without soul/career-crushing burden on his shoulders.

And then he will manage United for a 100 years, cause you know medical technologies will have advanced a lot by then.

Pikey26 wrote:
jowner wrote:

Lol fine.

You can have Solskjaer. Dave can have Mourinho (or keep Mancini f*ck if I care) and Arsenal will take Pep.

Pep also signs Falcao and brings Cesc back.

Everyone is happy then right ;)

No. I need someone to come in after Ferguson, so that Solskjaer can swoop in for THAT person as the hero without soul/career-crushing burden on his shoulders.

And then he will manage United for a 100 years, cause you know medical technologies will have advanced a lot by then.

David Moyes. If your dream is Solskjaer by all means I'm rooting for it ;P

I agree that Guardiola at City is a good fit because of the money he'll have to spend and he'll actually be given time (unlike at Chelsea). Mancini being unable to get any footing in the Champions League even though his squad has 900+ matches of Champions League experience not to mention the quality there means he should probably be out.

I haven't been following things too closely but I've seen more than one story linking Sneijder with Manchester United and it doesn't make sense to me. Kagawa and even Rooney can do a fine job behind the striker(s) and I think the team's real need is deeper in midfield. I may be completely wrong, but I don't think Sneijder puts in enough defensive work to help out.

Mind you I also thought Newcastle needed a centreback, a right fullback, and a left-attacking midfielder and look how they've done without getting any of those players.

Roke wrote:

I agree that Guardiola at City is a good fit because of the money he'll have to spend and he'll actually be given time (unlike at Chelsea). Mancini being unable to get any footing in the Champions League even though his squad has 900+ matches of Champions League experience not to mention the quality there means he should probably be out.

I haven't been following things too closely but I've seen more than one story linking Sneijder with Manchester United and it doesn't make sense to me. Kagawa and even Rooney can do a fine job behind the striker(s) and I think the team's real need is deeper in midfield. I may be completely wrong, but I don't think Sneijder puts in enough defensive work to help out.

Mind you I also thought Newcastle needed a centreback, a right fullback, and a left-attacking midfielder and look how they've done without getting any of those players.

Sneijder stuff is cause hes been always linked with them and hes having contract problems with Inter.

If Fergie has the money you cant rule it out though. This offseason everyone was kinda confused as to why he was after RvP. Sure hes doing the job for them but the question still remains was that the right spot to splash 24m on + the wages.

edit:

nm theres 0% chance thats happening. RvP =/ Sniejder don't mix and supposedly hate each other like all Dutch players. Just remembered that as I hit post.

jowner wrote:
Pikey26 wrote:
jowner wrote:

Lol fine.

You can have Solskjaer. Dave can have Mourinho (or keep Mancini f*ck if I care) and Arsenal will take Pep.

Pep also signs Falcao and brings Cesc back.

Everyone is happy then right ;)

No. I need someone to come in after Ferguson, so that Solskjaer can swoop in for THAT person as the hero without soul/career-crushing burden on his shoulders.

And then he will manage United for a 100 years, cause you know medical technologies will have advanced a lot by then.

David Moyes. If your dream is Solskjaer by all means I'm rooting for it ;P

ew. i dont want a lesser version of Ferguson. why can't we just use Guardiola and toss him your way when we're done with him?

Roke wrote:

I agree that Guardiola at City is a good fit because of the money he'll have to spend and he'll actually be given time (unlike at Chelsea). Mancini being unable to get any footing in the Champions League even though his squad has 900+ matches of Champions League experience not to mention the quality there means he should probably be out.

I haven't been following things too closely but I've seen more than one story linking Sneijder with Manchester United and it doesn't make sense to me. Kagawa and even Rooney can do a fine job behind the striker(s) and I think the team's real need is deeper in midfield. I may be completely wrong, but I don't think Sneijder puts in enough defensive work to help out.

Mind you I also thought Newcastle needed a centreback, a right fullback, and a left-attacking midfielder and look how they've done without getting any of those players.

And i m sorry, what's all this with you guys going on about anyone going to City? Why does City need a new manager? Mancini won the league last year (even with all that money, City's still City. To have achieved what they did, Mancini does deserve a little credit) and it looks like City is right up there with United going into the end of the first half of the season. He also hasn't lost a game yet in this season to boot. Champions league is 40 percent experience, and 40 percent luck, 5 percent skill, and 5 percent just plain not being City. It's gonna take them a while to get there.

jowner wrote:
Roke wrote:

I agree that Guardiola at City is a good fit because of the money he'll have to spend and he'll actually be given time (unlike at Chelsea). Mancini being unable to get any footing in the Champions League even though his squad has 900+ matches of Champions League experience not to mention the quality there means he should probably be out.

I haven't been following things too closely but I've seen more than one story linking Sneijder with Manchester United and it doesn't make sense to me. Kagawa and even Rooney can do a fine job behind the striker(s) and I think the team's real need is deeper in midfield. I may be completely wrong, but I don't think Sneijder puts in enough defensive work to help out.

Mind you I also thought Newcastle needed a centreback, a right fullback, and a left-attacking midfielder and look how they've done without getting any of those players.

Sneijder stuff is cause hes been always linked with them and hes having contract problems with Inter.

If Fergie has the money you cant rule it out though. This offseason everyone was kinda confused as to why he was after RvP. Sure hes doing the job for them but the question still remains was that the right spot to splash 24m on + the wages.

edit:

nm theres 0% chance thats happening. RvP =/ Sniejder don't mix and supposedly hate each other like all Dutch players. Just remembered that as I hit post.

I THINK Fergie's not been splashing all the crazy cash they allegedly have for him, because he's saving some left overs for Guardiola, or whichever unlucky fool he set his eyes on to replace him. zomg, the conspiracy commences.

Oh god, I just pictured Busquets (who I swear sucked Guardiola's dick to get in the team) just could potentially be the deep midfield solution that Guardiola may turn to.

I think I am having second thoughts about Moyes now.

davet010 wrote:

(This was a reply to Pikey's point)

Unless you think this is Fergie's last season, then I can't see that happening. I also wonder why you think United would be top of his 'to-do' list - he's already won the CL and piles of domestic trophies, and United's showing against the mighty Reading won't be selling them to him...still, he never really sorted the defence at Barcelona either.

If I were his advisor, I'd be telling him that the first person in to succeed Fergie will be on a hiding to nothing - everything they do will be compared to him, and United have already said that they'll be keeping him on after he retires from the manager's job as some kind of 'ambassador'. United know how hard it is to replace a successful manager - last time after Busby they used a sacrificial lamb (McGuinness) because they knew the 68 team was falling apart and no one else would take the poison chalice because Busby was still hanging round the club like a bad smell.

I'll be very interested to see if Guardiola will last at a club where he isn't lionised like a god from the start. If I was to put money on it, I'd see him somewhere like Bayern or one of the Russian clubs.

I am more certain than ever that this is Fergie's last season.

Make no mistake about it, I have profound admiration and respect for everything Ferguson has done and stood for, even with some of his flaws in consideration. However, I think it's time and I feel like he knows it too. After his last debacle caused by setting his retirement in stone (01-02 anounced to be his last), you won't find him hinting at retirement anywhere, but I have a strong feeling that his retirement's been set in motion for at least a year now.

Guardiola COULD be a good replacement, even as a potential sacrificial lamb, in that he's a completely different animal to Ferguson. Yes the expectations of success, pressure, and all that crap will be there for anyone that comes in. But the fact that Guardiola would be a Spanish manager coming into an English club, that btw has never before hired anyone from outside the British isles (at least to my knowledge), just might be a blessing in disguise. Also as for the 68 team and the 'poison' chalice, the kind of money that's in the game now, and the 'young potentials' that Ferguson has been sitting on, I don't think it's really that. That said, it's probably worse than the Busby transition in more ways than one anyway.

That said, I must admit, I am probably just spewing non-sense. I just REALLLLLY do not want Mourinho coming in after Ferguson, who apparently is the other candidate. I'd rather see that f*cker at City with crazy transfer money winning Cups, than to see him don our club emblem.

Personally, I could give two sh*ts who the next manager is, precisely because chances are the pressure and ridiculous expectations will crush whoever comes in for the job. That pressure alone is more than enough of a poison chalice for most candidates, nevermind the squad he would inherit. That said, I have been seeing a lot of signs that just might see him going to Manchester after he takes his little vacation.

I am more excited about the prospect of Solskjaer coming in to replace whoever f*cks up after Ferguson goes. He's, in more ways than one, my 'Guardiola'.

Pikey26 wrote:

Oh god, I just pictured Busquets (who I swear sucked Guardiola's dick to get in the team)

Keeping it classy, I see.

Hopefully United will resign Gerard Pique - I wouldn't mind bumping into Shakira in the Arndale Centre.

Just watching Barca beat the tar out of Athletic Bilbao. They're 4-1 up but the defence still looks tripe, and Piqué still looks and plays like a village idiot.

Sorry, 5-1.

C'mon Lionel, we'll get Zabaleta to tap you up with some Holland's meat and potato pies next time the Argentina squad get together.

Its hard to take the MLS seriously when the ref looks fat in the final and Robbie Keane is still a serviceable player.

I have nothing against the MLS really and would watch if the product was of a higher quality most likely. Hell theres 3 Canadian teams.

UCRC wrote:
Pikey26 wrote:

Oh god, I just pictured Busquets (who I swear sucked Guardiola's dick to get in the team)

Keeping it classy, I see.

I m not when it comes to certain Barca players. I really am a classless, butthurt git when it comes to some of that lot. That said, I don't think I am alone in thinking Busquets is a POS.

Dammit Fulham.

Pikey26 wrote:
UCRC wrote:
Pikey26 wrote:

Oh god, I just pictured Busquets (who I swear sucked Guardiola's dick to get in the team)

Keeping it classy, I see.

I m not when it comes to certain Barca players. I really am a classless, butthurt git when it comes to some of that lot. That said, I don't think I am alone in thinking Busquets is a POS.

Oh, even I'm drinking in that bar. He's one of the few players where if I see him on the ground, I'm not hoping that he's seriously hurt, but I wouldn't be shedding any tears if he was. He's one of those snide players who likes to come across as a tough guy but hits the deck quicker than a five-mark whore.

God almighty, some sad soul on Sky Sports has just referred to Burnley v Blackburn as 'El Lanc Classico'. Death's too good for some people.

On the other hand, he is in Burnley on a Sunday, so he's already in Purgatory.

Muamba just drew Arsenal to play Swansea away...

lol. You can only laugh now

edit: His reaction was priceless also.

City v Watford, Southampton v Chelsea, Lincoln or Mansfield v Liverpool, west ham v MU, Cheltenham or Hereford v Everton.

Interesting - MK Dons, who were watching the draw, were drawn out last of all to play Sheffield Wed.

But after all, it's only a game - isn't it ?

http://www.football365.com/news/2155...

In Poland Lech Poznan ultras who had stadium bans established their own club, Lech's Faithful, and registered it for 5th or 6th division then proceeded to go to all away matches and just intimidate all opposition teams (and referees) into losing.

I love seeing Rosicky back in action. There's no excuse for Gervinho to ever start on the left wing now. Is Gervinho quick? Yes. Does he have footskills? Yes. Does dribbling it 30 times every time you get the ball until 3 defensemen commit resulting in a lost ball or corner create chances? Not really.

Also, I embarrassingly rescind any Gervinho defenses I may have posted towards the beginning of this thread.

Why is City playing a strong side against Borussia? Can't imagine you'd want to be in Europa League.

So many players are out (8, I think) that we pretty much had to pick who was left out of the 25. Fatty Toure isn't even in the 25, so he can't be picked anyway.

As you say though, I'm glad we won't be in the farce that is the Europa League.

Yeah, I'd feel the same about Arsenal. Having to pretend you're serious about Europa League after being knocked out from CL is the most humiliating thing.

I'm hoping that one day some club goes "can we just not participate in this?".