2012 GOTY - So Far

Despite the sheer number of hours I've played, I don't know if I can list Diablo 3. Too many mornings I've logged on to play before my daughter wakes up just to get the maintenance in progress/pending message. So many poor decisions made because they just HAD to have a real-money auction house.

I was really looking forward to ME3, but the initial drama, and the fact it required Origin kept me away. It finally went on sale through Amazon, and I was ready. After I spent an hour and a half IMing with an Origin support rep because the code activation service was down, my enthusiasm had definitely waned. And now, after owning it for almost a month, I'm maybe six hours in.

So, Journey. Even if the other two had been perfect, it would probably still be Journey.

ADDITION:

If you change the category to, "Most Exciting Way to Chat with My Friends," then it's Diablo 3 hands down.

Journey for me without question. I've played a lot of good games but few made me love their world and ended up moving me emotionally in the end the way it did. Absolutely incredible. I need to do another run of that.

Dragon's Dogma is by far my GOTY so far. but there's still borderlands 2 to wait for.

TrashiDawa wrote:
ahrezmendi wrote:

Gravity Rush (perfect Vita game)
Disgaea 3 Vita

There have been some excellent Vita games. I feel like I need a separate list because it's tough to go head to head with the likes of Diablo, Civ and Mass Effect but I've put a lot of hours into:
- The Show 2012
- Gravity Rush
- Mortal Kombat
- Uncharted: Golden Abyss

Yeah, I am really tempted to separate my Vita games off into their own list. I've enjoyed every Vita game I've bought, and there are tons more still to come this year. I fully expect Persona 4 Golden to be high if not top in my list. I completely skipped over Hot Shots Golf, Lumines, and Escape Plan, even though all 3 were fantastic games that I played a ton of.

Actually, if I had to pick 1 gaming related thing for 2012, my #1 would definitely be the Vita itself. Great library of games, tons of support from Sony (everything from promotional bonuses to PS+ support and PSP games to PSOne Classics), it's the best gaming related purchase I've made in years and I don't regret any of it.

Ahem. Planetside 2. Why is everyone talking about other games? I don't get it. *Spit polishes TR badge* I just don't get it.

Atras wrote:
iaintgotnopants wrote:

I think I'm the only person that really enjoyed Quantum Conundrum.

Really? I like it, quite a lot, actually, but it just doesn't meet the (absurdly high) expectations I had for it after Portal. Kim Swift is clearly a very talented designer, with some absolutely great ideas for puzzle games, but I think this game really proves out Valve's attention to the little things. The writing is sharp, the puzzles are a nice mix of simply clever and devilishly hard, but it lacks a lot of the polish that is easy to take for granted in Portal. Some of the puzzles are only hard because you are introduced to a new concept, but the concept isn't given to you in a way that makes it clear that that is the concept you should be mastering; I can't recall that happening in Portal or Portal 2, ever. I certainly have gotten my 15 dollars worth out of the game, but I can't consider it Game of the Year material, even if I like it.

I'm only an hour or so into it. I like it so far, but it hasn't grabbed me like Portal/Portal 2 did. But I've barely scratched the surface. It might be a contender for the low end of the 2012 Top 10 though. Depends on how I feel at the end.

ahrezmendi wrote:

As others have said, I doubt this will remain the list. Diablo 3 will probably stay on top, I don't see myself stopping anytime soon, but there's so much still to come out, and also still to play (Journey, Mutant Blobs Attack).

Hey bud, unless you're just waiting for a sale, Journey is about a 2 hour game. To the top of the pile!!!

I'm really glad to see all the Journey love.

So far for me the list is:

1. Civ V: Gods & Kings
2. Diablo 3
3. Minecraft 360

I love the Civ series which made Gods and Kings an immediate purchase. Thankfully, it has more than lived up to my expectations and has finally pulled Civ V above Civ IV:Beyond the Sword for me. I literally purchased Diablo 3 as soon as I bought a PC that would run it, but haven't had as much chance to play it due to scheduling conflicts with my co-op partner. As for Minecraft 360, it has provided over 100 hours of splitscreen fun for me with my two kids and may be the best money I've ever spent on XBLA.

The only other games I can even think of right now from the first half of 2012 with a shot at entering this list when I play them are Crusader Kings 2 and Kingdoms of Amalur. I loved EU3, and I am excited to give Crusader Kings 2 a try now that I have a machine that can run it. I picked it up Sunday through the Amazon sale and plan on digging in as soon as my current Gods and Kings campaign concludes. As far as Kingdoms of Amalur, it looks to be right up my alley, but hasn't been on sale for my "buy" price yet for me to check it out.

Dyni wrote:

unless you're just waiting for a sale, Journey is about a 2 hour game.

That really makes me want to wait for a sale. Unless there is some replay? Maybe I should poke in the Journey thread but I don't want spoilers.

I guess I'm weird on downloadable game prices thanks to Steam.

And Journey will never be on Steam...bleh. I'm one of those no console kids, so when exclusives turn out to be great it is irritating. Still waitin' on that Fez port.

Starcraft II is probably the best game I've played this year. Nothing that was released this year has really grabbed a hold of me. Diablo 3 and Mass Effect 3 will prolly make my end of year top ten list, but I'm hesitent to slap a GOTY stamp, even a "mid year caveat" GOTY on either one.

Squee9 wrote:

And Journey will never be on Steam...bleh. I'm one of those no console kids, so when exclusives turn out to be great it is irritating. Still waitin' on that Fez port.

Starcraft II is probably the best game I've played this year. Nothing that was released this year has really grabbed a hold of me. Diablo 3 and Mass Effect 3 will prolly make my end of year top ten list, but I'm hesitent to slap a GOTY stamp, even a "mid year caveat" GOTY on either one.

I'm thinking about it in a similar way to the oscars, and things need to be nominated before they can win. There's probably a good few I'd nominate in specialism categories, or are just noteworthy, but none I'd nominate for 'best game' yet.

Squee9 wrote:

And Journey will never be on Steam...bleh. I'm one of those no console kids, so when exclusives turn out to be great it is irritating. Still waitin' on that Fez port.

Is Journey completely wrapped up as a non-PC exclusive? Q Games was eventually able to publish PixelJunk Eden to the PC...

The Fez and Spelunky ports can't happen soon enough.

shoptroll wrote:
Squee9 wrote:

And Journey will never be on Steam...bleh. I'm one of those no console kids, so when exclusives turn out to be great it is irritating. Still waitin' on that Fez port.

Is Journey completely wrapped up as a non-PC exclusive? Q Games was eventually able to publish PixelJunk Eden to the PC...

The Fez and Spelunky ports can't happen soon enough.

As far as I know, Flow and Flower are still PSN exclusive, and they were part of the same contract.

shoptroll wrote:
Squee9 wrote:

And Journey will never be on Steam...bleh. I'm one of those no console kids, so when exclusives turn out to be great it is irritating. Still waitin' on that Fez port.

Is Journey completely wrapped up as a non-PC exclusive? Q Games was eventually able to publish PixelJunk Eden to the PC...

The Fez and Spelunky ports can't happen soon enough.

Journey was funded by Sony so it will stay exclusive. That was their last game under contract with Sony though so anything they do in the future will probably not be exclusive.

Waiting to get my hands on Dragon's Dogma and running through Max Payne atm, but so far
1. Mass Effect 3
2. Journey
3. Crusader Kings II
4. Xenoblade

I'm not sure where Diablo stands. The dynamics added from the auction house and the blacksmith systems has made the main game feel less rewarding and expose the grind.

It's Journey. Can't really add more than that. Mass Effect 3 comes in a close second.

Dungeons of Daggorath!

[size=9]Almost not a joke.[/size]

I haven't played many games released this year, but I'd say my GOTY so far is ME3. Not necessarily because of the gameplay or story, but because of the characters. I loved Dragon Age 2 for the same reason -- because I care about the characters and love the interaction between them. Plus, I think the Mass Effect series does "epic" better than almost any series I've played.

I'd also give the nod to CKII -- my first foray into the world of grand strategy. It's a brilliant game, but I haven't spent enough time with it.

I've spent a good number of hours in Diablo 3, but I don't think it will be a game I remember in December when I'm choosing a GOTY. Same goes for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

If I picked a game not released this year, it would either be Skyrim or Arma 2:CO for many of the same reasons -- mods, large, open worlds, AI interactions, etc.

Tanglebones wrote:
shoptroll wrote:
Squee9 wrote:

And Journey will never be on Steam...bleh. I'm one of those no console kids, so when exclusives turn out to be great it is irritating. Still waitin' on that Fez port.

Is Journey completely wrapped up as a non-PC exclusive? Q Games was eventually able to publish PixelJunk Eden to the PC...

The Fez and Spelunky ports can't happen soon enough.

As far as I know, Flow and Flower are still PSN exclusive, and they were part of the same contract.

And there's a disc compilation of Journey, Flow, and Flower coming out in August. All 3 games, soundtracks, and a free month of PS+ for $29.99.

Contenders so far: SSX, Journey

Buyer's Remorse: Diablo III (meh story, DRM/RMAH/Inferno frustrations, gameplay repetitive and redundant, not to mention repetitive and redundant)

Eagerly Anticipating: Guild Wars 2, Black Ops II, Halo 4

Theme of the Year so Far: Blizzard's fall from grace (which is official for me now with the DIII launch - I'm not a SC player and wasn't jaded by their actions then). I'm not even interested in MoP right now, and I was a HUGE fan of the WoW series.

Double post? Really iPad?

ScurvyDog wrote:

I'm not even interested in MoP right now, and I was a HUGE fan of the WoW series.

Same here. It's kind of shocked at myself that a few short years ago I was into WoW, and now hearing about MoP is just like hearing about any other MMO expansion by any other company, it does nothing for me.

Stele wrote:
Dyni wrote:

unless you're just waiting for a sale, Journey is about a 2 hour game.

That really makes me want to wait for a sale. Unless there is some replay? Maybe I should poke in the Journey thread but I don't want spoilers.

I guess I'm weird on downloadable game prices thanks to Steam. :D

Just out of curiosity, why is price/length such a deterrent for you? Would you be more likely to pay $15 for Journey if it was a 5 hour game with 3 hours of filler content? Is 8 hours of good content more valuable to you than 2 hours of incredible content? Have you burned through all of your pile and simply need something longer to occupy your time?

I just don't see how artificially lengthening the game with fluff (of which Jouney has none) would make it suddenly more valuable. In fact, it would be a worse game if it were much longer than it is. My 2 hour trek through Journey was more impact full and enjoyable than almost any 10-12 hour game I've played this generation.

And it is very much replayable with the way the co-op functions.

I don't think time/cost is a bad way of measuring worth, it's just not the only way to measure worth and probably shouldn't be used in isolation (otherwise something like progressquest wins). The thing about saying "My 2 hour trek through Journey was more impact full and enjoyable than almost any 10-12 hour game I've played this generation." is that it's a personal opinion, and as Darksiders teaches us, opinions vary, a lot.

Eh mostly it's spoiled pricing from Steam and getting so many things for cheaper than $15, even some originally $60 games. Or maybe I still have this skewed perspective of download-only titles, like they should always be $10 or less. Also there's a huge pile awaiting me. So I don't need it right now. It has to be A) really awesome or B) really awesomely on sale, for me to add anything to the pile right now.

And as mentioned above there's a Journey Collection coming soon, that has Flow & Flower as well, since I've never played those. Might just end up grabbing that, so even though I'm spending more overall I'm getting a lot more. Somehow that makes sense in my head.

Also when you say 2 hours for $15 there is a part of me that thinks "Well I beat Super Metroid in 2 hours every couple of years and I paid a lot more than that for that game 18? years ago", but of course that means I've really gotten a lot more than 2 hours of fun out of it, replaying it.

Y'know, I actually don't know. Normally I pick a game that just grabs me and sinks its hooks in like no other, but there's already a few that have done that. In no particular order:

- Xenoblade Chronicles
- Dragon's Dogma
- Kid Icarus: Uprising
- Resident Evil: Revelations

Those are the 2012 releases thus far that have really done a number on my weekends. I wish I could give more time to Xenoblade, though. Still sitting at 25 hours.

Scratched wrote:

The thing about saying "My 2 hour trek through Journey was more impact full and enjoyable than almost any 10-12 hour game I've played this generation." is that it's a personal opinion, and as Darksiders teaches us, opinions vary, a lot.

Yes, it is. I was just trying to touch on the fact that the lengths of the games had little impact on my enjoyment of them. Perhaps it would be different if my pile weren't 9 miles long, but it is. I always have something else to play, so length just doesn't have much impact on my perceived value of a product. I'm curious why it does for others.

And opinions vary a lot more on some games than others. Journey certainly fell flat for some people, but speaking anecdotally, relatively few.

What is this Darksiders game you speak of? Is it any...

Dyni wrote:

I just don't see how artificially lengthening the game with fluff (of which Jouney has none) would make it suddenly more valuable. In fact, it would be a worse game if it were much longer than it is. My 2 hour trek through Journey was more impact full and enjoyable than almost any 10-12 hour game I've played this generation.

Yeah, I can totally understand Stele's hesitation, but by the same token it's clear that the $15 is paying for the fact that it was 2 hours of content polished to an unbelievable sheen, which naturally comes at a price. There is not a single minute in those two hours that feels frustrating, confusing, is needlessly obtuse, or is boring.

Minecraft - XBLA
MLB: The Show 12 - Vita

So far. But there are a lot of games I love this year. Especially on Vita. I just haven't been able to give them enough time yet. Games like The Witcher 2, Disgaea 3 Vita and others.

I did wait 10 years for Diablo 3, but while its a good game, it does have some inexcusable flaws which means I wont consider it as GOTY just yet. Maybe after some (5 years) patches.

Mass Effect 3. The end to one of my favorite game series. Great game. But those last 5 minutes. I still haven't forgotten them, even if I should have.

So yeah uhm, can I just say Dark Souls for PC, even though it is not out yet? It was the game of the decade anyway - so far...

Also Star Wars The Old Republic, sure it was a few weeks before 2012, but had a lot of fun with it back in January/February, before I apparently quit along with everyone else.