Need for Speed: Most Wanted - A Criterion Joint (Catch-all)

I'm not finding the Autolog stuff all that interesting because the fastest times generally come from those with all the upgrades. I feel like I need to grind to unlock each car's potential and the grind is the same for each car. Zzzz.

I'm enjoying the game for what it is, but as with Hot Pursuit Autolog seems to mask a lack of content. I really wish they'd make another Burnout game because I rather miss the variety of events.

Downloaded the demo. There's a game somewhere, hidden under all the bloom and floating UI elements, right?

garion333 wrote:

I'm enjoying the game for what it is, but as with Hot Pursuit Autolog seems to mask a lack of content. I really wish they'd make another Burnout game because I rather miss the variety of events.

This is the only issue for me. I really want more races. As for multiplayer, I sent out some friend requests on Origin but there's no way to track their status? Maybe I'll try again.

All I'm hearing is wait for a sale. I think I'll wait till it hit's $20 or something.

Yeah probably. I like the city itself a lot. The map is a lot more flat than Paradise, but also easier to navigate. And less overall content than Hot Pursuit despite a better seeming multiplayer.

complexmath wrote:

Yeah probably. I like the city itself a lot. The map is a lot more flat than Paradise, but also easier to navigate. And less overall content than Hot Pursuit despite a better seeming multiplayer.

I still miss Paradise - Fairhaven doesn't feel like a character in the game the way Paradise was. I think a big factor was the way that Paradise had all of its races end in one of the 8 checkpoints around the city. That made me learn the layout of the world really quickly; the observatory in the west, the country club in the north, the stadium in the southeast.

Now that I think about it, though, I guess Paradise wasn't all that big, was it? I was just doing it in my head, and I can mentally run from Big Surf Island, through downtown, across the dam, up the windy road, and to the mountain trails in just a minute or two. Fairhaven definitely has more long drives and space.

The way I feel about the city right now is the same way I feel when I take public transportation in a city a lot. I start to learn these hubs - like the financial area, the shopping area, the park - but I don't actually know how they connect to each other. In Fairhaven, if you told me to drive from the big three-ring sculpture to the industrial area, I would have no idea at all how to do it. I don't even know whether I'm north or south in Most Wanted.

I'm not sure how I feel about the content or lack thereof. I've been enjoying the game a lot by thinking of each car as a mini-RPG. I jump in, do the 5-race adventure chain, level up my mods a bit, then I'm done. The game has one big campaign (the Most Wanted cars) and a whole bunch of little campaigns for each car. If you focus entirely on the big campaign, it's pretty short on content.

The big question for me is whether I'll buy any DLC they put out. I really doubt they're going to give us a pile of free updates like Burnout Paradise did, and I wonder if they'll get crazy at all with their paid updates. I'm not interested in driving another model of Porsche or a tweaked Lamborghini; I want hovering cars, toy cars, cars with infinite boost, and other stuff that pushes the boundaries of sanity for the sake of fun.

BeriAlpha wrote:

The big question for me is whether I'll buy any DLC they put out. I really doubt they're going to give us a pile of free updates like Burnout Paradise did, and I wonder if they'll get crazy at all with their paid updates. I'm not interested in driving another model of Porsche or a tweaked Lamborghini; I want hovering cars, toy cars, cars with infinite boost, and other stuff that pushes the boundaries of sanity for the sake of fun.

If they put out a Honda Fit, I'm buying it on day one. Tom Chick and I are in agreement with that.

Aristophan wrote:
BeriAlpha wrote:

The big question for me is whether I'll buy any DLC they put out. I really doubt they're going to give us a pile of free updates like Burnout Paradise did, and I wonder if they'll get crazy at all with their paid updates. I'm not interested in driving another model of Porsche or a tweaked Lamborghini; I want hovering cars, toy cars, cars with infinite boost, and other stuff that pushes the boundaries of sanity for the sake of fun.

If they put out a Honda Fit, I'm buying it on day one. Tom Chick and I are in agreement with that.

I'd buy it if it has our Toyota Corolla. I imagine that a 'cars people actually drive' pack would sell pretty well.

BeriAlpha wrote:
Aristophan wrote:
BeriAlpha wrote:

The big question for me is whether I'll buy any DLC they put out. I really doubt they're going to give us a pile of free updates like Burnout Paradise did, and I wonder if they'll get crazy at all with their paid updates. I'm not interested in driving another model of Porsche or a tweaked Lamborghini; I want hovering cars, toy cars, cars with infinite boost, and other stuff that pushes the boundaries of sanity for the sake of fun.

If they put out a Honda Fit, I'm buying it on day one. Tom Chick and I are in agreement with that.

I'd buy it if it has our Toyota Corolla. I imagine that a 'cars people actually drive' pack would sell pretty well.

Seeing my Honda Fit in Forza 3 is what finally got me back into that series.

Well I'm enjoying it so far. I had to turn shadows down to medium as it was causing some really bad frame rate issues, but now it's quite nice. You can definitely feel the frame rate change though. Especially on the highways. Also, getting away from cops when you are level 6 heat is just a pain. They wouldn't let up. At all.

But overall, it's a lot of fun. I'm finding it hard to stay focused on the road though as every 2 seconds I'm looking at the side of the road for another jack spot. Man that sounds wrong. :p

I don't think a Honda Fit would be very interesting in NFS:MW, the driving simulation isn't nearly detailed enough for that. It'd just end up handling like a really slow Atom.

Some of those races are tough. AI seems brutal and unforgiving. Even if you take them down, they're right on your rear bumper again. One small crash and boom. Going to take some more effort I think.

BlackSabre wrote:

Some of those races are tough. AI seems brutal and unforgiving. Even if you take them down, they're right on your rear bumper again. One small crash and boom. Going to take some more effort I think.

Yeah, you really can't build up enough of a lead to be safe from crashing. You just have to make sure you get ahead, and run a flawless race for the last 30 seconds or so.

BlackSabre wrote:

Some of those races are tough. AI seems brutal and unforgiving. Even if you take them down, they're right on your rear bumper again. One small crash and boom. Going to take some more effort I think.

I haven't yet seen evidence of extreme cheating in the normal race lineup--if I get a huge lead in a race I'll generally keep it. I can't say the same for the Most Wanted races though. I think the game is designed to make those races close no matter what, so if your lead gets too great the most wanted car will teleport immediately behind you, they basically aren't targeted by police, and they're completely immune to tack strips. I haven't been able to decide how I feel about this though. It makes for more exciting races but doesn't feel authentic.

The other thing I've noticed is that the police should really be #1 on the most wanted list. Those guys blow right past me occasionally, regardless of the speed I'm driving. If they're going to do that, I wish they'd have at least given them better cars than standard police cruisers.

I'm still having a lot of fun with the game though. I've only put 10 hours in so far and am about halfway through the Most Wanted lineup. It's fun just driving around, and I'm starting to work my way through the Medium difficulty races as well.

So I found a way to deal with the annoying frame rate issue. Go to Documents > Criterion Games > NFS: MW > config. Open it with notepad and change the "Lockto30" setting to true. It locks the frame rate at 30 fps, but that's actually not a bad thing as it gets rid of the annoying jumping until they release a patch or driver to fix it.

Still enjoying it and just having some fun driving around and finding cars.

Picked this up for $25 on a black Friday sale, and I can't say I'm loving it. The police chase stuff drives me nuts, since there's no real way to outrun them, at least early on. I spent an entire bar of boost at top speed, and the cops stayed right on my bumper. I don't know where any jumps are, so using one to get away is basically luck.

There's also just so much going on visually that avoiding crashes is sometimes impossible. The amount of bloom is sometimes nuts. I feel like I have to take three or four stabs at any race before I even have a chance because just knowing where the course goes is hard. Take your eyes off the road for a second to look at the map, you'll probably crash. Don't, you might miss a turn and be out of it.

I think I just don't love these open world racers. With no set difficulty progression, I'm never sure if I just need to get better, or if there's an upgrade or something that I actually need to compete in that event.

And spike strips? Those are pure crap.

In my play time so far, I've yet to crash because of sun glare. I actually think it adds to the experience by presenting an additional challenge. There's one race, for example, where you're heading downhill into a construction yard and the glare is such that it's really hard to see. So I just pick my line, floor it and cross my fingers. The checkpoint markers can help with navigation as well, since they're laid on top of the bloom effects.

Looking at the map is hard with every racing game I've ever played. I find the checkpoint markers help a lot though. By contrast, in Burnout: Paradise I was periodically pausing the game to check my map just to figure out where to go, and that make for a crappy race experience. I know I'd have eventually learned my way around, but I didn't have the motivation to do it there for some reason.

Each car has its own race series and you're intended to complete them in order. You pretty much have to earn the equipment from each race tier to complete the next tier, and if you still aren't winning then it's probably a matter of improving your driving, picking vehicle upgrades for the race you're trying, or simply learning the route better.

The most annoying thing about spike strips is that they don't affect other cars. But races will usually have a repair point not long after spike strips are dropped, and the spike strips are helpfully marked with yellow flashing lights, so unless a police cruiser drops one immediately in front of you they usually aren't super hard to avoid.

complexmath wrote:

The most annoying thing about spike strips is that they don't affect other cars. But races will usually have a repair point not long after spike strips are dropped, and the spike strips are helpfully marked with yellow flashing lights, so unless a police cruiser drops one immediately in front of you they usually aren't super hard to avoid.

I think they are pretty annoying when you are trying to unlock the Reinflating Pro tires and you have to hit 5 Spike Strips. I swear they stopped dropping them after I used reinflating tires.

Ah. I haven't gotten that deep in the race series for any car yet. I think I've only knocked out the easy, meduim, and maybe a few hard races.

Do I really have to get gold on the "lose the cops in X:XX time" races in order to be competitive in the later races? I tried one of those last night, and man, did I dislike that thing.

I dunno. I hate those races too, and so haven't completed any yet. But I'll definitely switch in road vs. off-road tires, short vs. long gears, etc, based on the race if I'm having trouble winning, and so far that's been enough of an edge.

Picked this up off the Origin sale this weekend for the PC on the cheap. If anyone wants to dent up some rides, look for me.

Cheers!
Nyxs

So the game comes out 3/19 for the Wii U, and Criterion is calling it the definitive version.

But click here to see the worst driver ever seen in a video game. It's kind of bizarre.

It's weird that they would use that footage in a game review. It leaves me wondering whether the reviewer simply wasn't trying or whether the steering precision is terrible with the wii controller.

Is anyone still playing this on PS3? I just picked it up and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

I still have it, but I haven't played in a while. Send me a friend request if you want to beat my times.

I finally got this, the last of the Burnout-ish racers from the Criterion-that-was, and put a few hours into over the long weekend. I feel very ambivalent about it. Just because it's a Criterion NFS game in an open city doesn't necessarily make it the love child of Burnout Paradise and Hot Pursuit, and I'm trying to set aside what I would expect from that mash-up from what this game is on its own—avoiding "Well it doesn't look like this and it doesn't do that" comparisons.

What MW definitely wants me to do is try out as many cars as possible. You can probably max out a single sufficiently-powerful car and take on the whole Most Wanted list with it, but the five-race suites for each vehicle suggest a diversity of experiences is the way to play the single-player.

Okay, only one direct comparison: what the heck happened to the crash camera? I remember the damage to the licensed cars in Hot Pursuit being much more spectacular, but quickly watching some HP crash videos now shows that those cars end up with as little damage as MW's—it's much more exciting camerawork that always made them look so great. Where did that camera go?

I think I would have liked this game more if it had the Forza thing... drivatars? It's cool to be in a world with other people, but I'd like it a lot more if they were people I know. Or even just their AI stand-ins. The only other thing is more, um, situational I suppose. I like playing this on my PC but it seems like everyone else plays this on console. I really need to give it another shot at some point though. Unless everyone plans on jumping on Driveclub or something.

complexmath wrote:

I think I would have liked this game more if it had the Forza thing... drivatars? It's cool to be in a world with other people, but I'd like it a lot more if they were people I know. Or even just their AI stand-ins. The only other thing is more, um, situational I suppose. I like playing this on my PC but it seems like everyone else plays this on console. I really need to give it another shot at some point though. Unless everyone plans on jumping on Driveclub or something.

This is what I'm hoping to get out of Forizon 2, honestly. The Drivatars in forza are great, but throw them into a more casual driving game, and I think they will be 10x better.

In Forza it can be completed, because you fiends may not really be good drivers, so racing them all of the time is not ideal for a sim. This is improved if you go in and increase your Drivatar difficulty, but you will almost certainly find fewer of your friends in your races. Forizon 2 will be much less sim, so crazy antics of Drivatars will be more acceptable in that environment, I believe.

I'm into the rhythm of this game—try a new car, race for some upgrades, unlock the next Most Wanted car, take it on—but I'm still pretty ambivalent about it. The desaturated palette seems to have bled the gameworld of life. Not to continually compare to those other games, and I know Fairhaven is more industrial than Paradise City, but even the latter's industrial zones had more vibrancy. PC and Seacrest are rich, colourful worlds, which for me made them for fun to be in—that is, to look at, for hours. Fairhaven is a monochromatic smear in my memory, not helped by the map, which doesn't contextualize or make any part of the geography recognizable, by being literally monochromatic. Is this a callback to the original Most Wanted, the way HP recalled the original NFSs? I stopped playing NFS after Underground 2, which itself was a bright, colourful game (despite being entirely at night IIRC).

That UI, though. Text flying all over the screen, none of it useful, all of it illegible. What upgrades does this race offer? Don't know, have to wait for it to finish showing me what car my friend did this race in. Speed camera pop-ups show in events, obscuring part of the screen as if that's information I need to know right then. Forizon did that much better, with a large typeface and giving a quick snippet like telling me the one friend I beat at a speed camera—not five in a typeface too small to read at 250 km/h. "Autolog update alert: your map will not be available for several seconds for no good reason." The bloom I don't really mind in practice—I drive without sunglasses anyway, so that's all pretty normal to me.

I also tried changing my gear ratio mid-race, using "EasyDrive". It is not EasyDrive.