Assassin's Creed 3 Catch-All

Quick question after a Google fu fail: Can the costume from 'The Tyranny of George Washington' DLC be used in the main game? The reason I ask is because it looks fantastic and I tire of the white hood thing on occasion.

Higgledy wrote:

Quick question after a Google fu fail: Can the costume from 'The Tyranny of George Washington' DLC be used in the main game? The reason I ask is because it looks fantastic and I tire of the white hood thing on occasion.

Nope.

BadKen wrote:
Higgledy wrote:

Quick question after a Google fu fail: Can the costume from 'The Tyranny of George Washington' DLC be used in the main game? The reason I ask is because it looks fantastic and I tire of the white hood thing on occasion.

Nope.

Damn.

Well I've bought the game and, in spite of all the evidence that I'm in for a sub par experience, I can't help being excited to be back in the world of AC.

Nice title screen.

Higgledy wrote:

Well I've bought the game and, in spite of all the evidence that I'm in for a sub par experience, I can't help being excited to be back in the world of AC.

Nice title screen.

I'm finding it's a good game to have. I only play it in short spurts between other games but there's something to the mechanics of AC games. Unfortunately, this title has far less of the rooftop running from the previous settings but it's still pretty fun.

Evo wrote:
Higgledy wrote:

Well I've bought the game and, in spite of all the evidence that I'm in for a sub par experience, I can't help being excited to be back in the world of AC.

Nice title screen.

I'm finding it's a good game to have. I only play it in short spurts between other games but there's something to the mechanics of AC games. Unfortunately, this title has far less of the rooftop running from the previous settings but it's still pretty fun.

There is a good chance I'll have fun. Flaws in games are often easier to deal with when you are prepared beforehand. I also enjoy the multiplayer quite a bit so, as long as it's still being played I'll get a lot of play out of that. As you say it's going to be a good game to play in bursts between others.

Yeah while I agree it has a lot of annoying flaws I can't deny that I had a great deal of fun with it.

Let me put it this way: Take your expectations, and lower them. Now lower them further. Okay more than that. I mean way, way down.

Keep going... Okay yes down there. Okay, now raise them just a tiny bit.

Good. You should be ready to experience Assassin's Creed 3 now. I'd say have fun but that might be overselling it, so at least have an experience

Have fun with the sailing bits, and the non-storyline base assaults

jamos5 wrote:

Let me put it this way: Take your expectations, and lower them. Now lower them further. Okay more than that. I mean way, way down.

Keep going... Okay yes down there. Okay, now raise them just a tiny bit.

Good. You should be ready to experience Assassin's Creed 3 now. I'd say have fun but that might be overselling it, so at least have an experience :D

I'd say if your expectations are low enough to limbo under an oven like Hermes, then that's about right.

IMAGE(http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xvklWrDLexk/TLW78ViuqxI/AAAAAAAACp0/VDHd03RUXyo/s1600/futurama_hermes_limbo_under_stove.jpg)

So far so good.

Spoiler:

I'm enjoying Haytham Kenway. He exudes a polite, English menace that is reminiscent of Bond at his best. I'm prepared to be in his company for a while. Plus one for knowing that you don't get to play the main character in adult form for an age.

I turned off the little green marker that was leading me by the nose from place to place even if that place was ten yards away and in my immediate left. With it gone I actually feel involved in the game. I keep imagining what the original Monkey Island would have been like of you had had some sort of fool proof marker system leading you from one plot point to the next. To be fair they may ease off with the 'go to the green dot' mechanic but I'm not turning it back on to find out.

Most importantly I love the combat. I'm pretty sure that an appreciation for fights with groups of guards is what got me through, and let me enjoy considerably, the first game. It could well do the same here. I've always enjoyed random, escalating fights with guards on the ground and on roof tops and the sword play is very well done.

Last night I wandered too close to a patrol and the officer leading them pushed me. Twelve dead redcoats later and I realised that the game, no matter what happened in the rest of the game, wasn't going to be a compete write off. Some time later I found myself too close to another patrol. I swiftly moved out of the way, not wanting to cause a spectacle. The patrol leader left his halted column and walked towards me. I stepped back a little. He moved close and I stood my ground, waiting. The guy hesitated for a moment then pushed me. Hostilities ensued.

Also couriers are back. Yay.

Edit: I can start to see symptoms of problems to come. The fact that it takes me three minutes every time I want to throw coins to orphans and the mind boggling fact that there are three virtual currencies involved in the purchase of multiplayer micro transactions.

Higgledy wrote:

Edit: I can start to see symptoms of problems to come. The fact that it takes me three minutes every time I want to throw coins to orphans and the mind boggling fact that there are three virtual currencies involved in the purchase of multiplayer micro transactions.

I'm sad to say that this is how it starts. On my first exposure to the game, I was really enjoying it. Around chapter six and unfortunately I believe you'll become jaded like us. Alternatively, play for a little longer and then stop. Then you can be happy and enjoy your time!

BlackSabre wrote:
Higgledy wrote:

Edit: I can start to see symptoms of problems to come. The fact that it takes me three minutes every time I want to throw coins to orphans and the mind boggling fact that there are three virtual currencies involved in the purchase of multiplayer micro transactions.

I'm sad to say that this is how it starts. On my first exposure to the game, I was really enjoying it. Around chapter six and unfortunately I believe you'll become jaded like us. Alternatively, play for a little longer and then stop. Then you can be happy and enjoy your time! :D

My heart is telling me it may not be too bad. Everything else is telling me it's all going to end in frustration and thwarted dreams. Maybe I'll just catch the next boat home to Blighty ;).

Higgledy wrote:
BlackSabre wrote:
Higgledy wrote:

Edit: I can start to see symptoms of problems to come. The fact that it takes me three minutes every time I want to throw coins to orphans and the mind boggling fact that there are three virtual currencies involved in the purchase of multiplayer micro transactions.

I'm sad to say that this is how it starts. On my first exposure to the game, I was really enjoying it. Around chapter six and unfortunately I believe you'll become jaded like us. Alternatively, play for a little longer and then stop. Then you can be happy and enjoy your time! :D

My heart is telling me it may not be too bad. Everything else is telling me it's all going to end in frustration and thwarted dreams. Maybe I'll just catch the next boat home to Blighty ;).

I really actually enjoyed it. That said, other than special items, I almost entirely skipped the crafting section, thus bypassing hunting and such too unless an animal wandered into my path; at which point I just sold them to merchants directly, thus bypassing the caravan or whatever system too.

I hated Conner and loved Haytham, but I liked the wrap-up to the whole Desmond storyline. Good not great. II and Brotherhood are still the best of the series, but I'm curious about 4 coming up still... especially with more ship warfare.

Try to look for side quests.
My biggest grip was how disintegrated they were from the game, they're fun, give the setting a sense of being a real place with real people.

Demosthenes wrote:

I liked the wrap-up to the whole Desmond storyline.

Alternatively, this is the element that pushed me from "This kinda sucks" to "f*ck you, game!"

SpacePPoliceman wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:

I liked the wrap-up to the whole Desmond storyline.

Alternatively, this is the element that pushed me from "This kinda sucks" to "f*ck you, game!"

I keep hearing that but regarding the ending...

Spoiler:

I actually thought that was a very interesting twist. Save the world from the threat you know to avoid pandemonium, mass death, and a repeat of the previous cycle. Yes, the evil One Who Came Before is certainly out to go on a vengeance, but the assassins know the threat she poses and are poised to take it on. Hell, unless they suck up to her to join up, I suspect even Abstergo would be ready to fight against her with them.

Demosthenes wrote:

I keep hearing that but regarding the ending...

My biggest issue was:

Spoiler:

The story they were setting up isn't one I'm particularly interested in seeing again--alien queen invades, seeking world domination. I really liked that AC was a human story, maybe even The human story, free will vs. determinism, played out with fights over these ancient, barely understood relics. Honestly, that's not a struggle with an ending, so when they decided to end it with a supervillain arriving to make the mortals kneel before her, I was annoyed.

I got the strong impression they were just wiping the modern story, which they didn't seem to get, off the deck so they could replace it with one they did get, which I didn't like, because I really liked the modern parts of the AC series.

And I'm furious at what they did to Lucy. A nonsensical mole twist straight out of the nadir of 24, and done in DLC too? f*ck that. f*ck that right up the nose.

SpacePPoliceman wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:

I keep hearing that but regarding the ending...

My biggest issue was:

Spoiler:

The story they were setting up isn't one I'm particularly interested in seeing again--alien queen invades, seeking world domination. I really liked that AC was a human story, maybe even The human story, free will vs. determinism, played out with fights over these ancient, barely understood relics. Honestly, that's not a struggle with an ending, so when they decided to end it with a supervillain arriving to make the mortals kneel before her, I was annoyed.

I got the strong impression they were just wiping the modern story, which they didn't seem to get, off the deck so they could replace it with one they did get, which I didn't like, because I really liked the modern parts of the AC series.

And I'm furious at what they did to Lucy. A nonsensical mole twist straight out of the nadir of 24, and done in DLC too? f*ck that. f*ck that right up the nose.

*clap* *clap* *clap*

Spoiler:

There is nothing worse than following who you think are master storytellers, until they chicken out and settle for something so much less.

Why do you have to do this to me video games, why?

jamos5 wrote:

Why do you have to do this to me video games, why?

Money. That's why. There is no money to be gained by them giving you a spectacular ending that you want. It's much easier to keep milking the series and feeding you little bits and giving you enough to keep you interested.

Lock picking chests can go to hell. Gaaah!

So it begins...

BlackSabre wrote:

So it begins... :)

Hehe.

I have a feeling that, after AC Rev, they said, "Well, the whole tower defence thing seemed to go down reasonably well. Lets give that guy more to do in AC 3."

SpacePPoliceman wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:

I keep hearing that but regarding the ending...

Spoiler:

And I'm furious at what they did to Lucy. A nonsensical mole twist straight out of the nadir of 24, and done in DLC too? f*ck that. f*ck that right up the nose.

I suspect that had more to do with Kristen Bell's contract than anything about where they were trying to go with the story.

kazooka wrote:
SpacePPoliceman wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:

I keep hearing that but regarding the ending...

Spoiler:

And I'm furious at what they did to Lucy. A nonsensical mole twist straight out of the nadir of 24, and done in DLC too? f*ck that. f*ck that right up the nose.

I suspect that had more to do with Kristen Bell's contract than anything about where they were trying to go with the story.

Wouldn't surprise me, in terms of only gameplay, that twist was never alluded to that I noticed.

Fantastic session of multiplayer last night. I was on form and to top it all there was a player called 'Fivelavishbears' on my team.

So word on the streets was that AC3 was horribly broken and unfinished on release. Half a year later, have things been patched up and fixed or is it still WYBuyIWYG? I am asking about the PS3 version in particular.

Alternately, if the Steam version is any better, is it compatible with the XBOX360 controller?

Luggage wrote:

is it compatible with the XBOX360 controller?

I don't know about AC3, but all the previous games have been. This seems like something you can just assume about most console ports now, with the exception of Bioware for some weird reason.

Luggage wrote:

So word on the streets was that AC3 was horribly broken and unfinished on release. Half a year later, have things been patched up and fixed or is it still WYBuyIWYG? I am asking about the PS3 version in particular.

Alternately, if the Steam version is any better, is it compatible with the XBOX360 controller?

I don't recall it being horribly broken and unfinished, but the focus is definitely different from other AC games. If you go in expecting a sneaky stealth masterpiece like Dishonored, you will be disappointed. AC3 is all about the combat. The side missions in AC3 are weak. Some of the main missions focus on things other than combat, which is unfortunate, because combat is what the game does best.

It also has a ridiculously long introduction. You are doing tutorial missions more than an hour into the game.

Despite all the flaws, I liked it a lot, because the awesome combat and the outstanding naval battles make up for the other shortcomings.

Steam version works great with the Xbox controller, and is much prettier than the console graphics.

kazooka wrote:

I suspect that had more to do with Kristen Bell's contract than anything about where they were trying to go with the story.

They took care of that in AC:B, but they had to deal with why AC:B happened, which they did sh*ttily. It was pretty obviously not the way the story was initially headed, and wrecked a great character.

Demosthenes wrote:

Wouldn't surprise me, in terms of only gameplay, that twist was never alluded to that I noticed.

Desmond off-handedly mentions it during one of his rants about how his life sucks.

Like BadKen said, the naval battles were great. I played the PS3 version, got it at launch, but didn't finish until a month or two later, and didn't notice any big technical issues, except for one time the frame rate when to sh*t. Bugs aren't the game's problem.