CD Projekt's Upcoming Title: Cyberpunk

Pikey26 wrote:

You gotta add the trailer in the OP.

This trailer reminded me there's always new great bands to be discovered.

Creepy/half-dressed chick is not too bad too I guess. meh.

But she was the same one at the end, right? She had the same scar, after all.

Not sure about this one, myself. Looks like it'll be a third person take on Deus Ex crossed with Ghost in the shell type themes.

LockAndLoad wrote:

God I love the Internet... And CD Projekt's choice of music. Very cool track. :)

Great song and really nice video too.

the trailer is a remix though, can't seem to find it to save my life.

tanstaafl wrote:
ranalin wrote:
tanstaafl wrote:

Neuromancer, while not the first "cyberpunk" novel but the one gets all the attention, came out in 1984.

The original game Cyberpunk (set in the far-distant future of 2013!) came out in 1988.

Gibson was the one who coined the term 'cyberpunk'

Yeah, I think he had a short story titled that and the name stuck for the genre.

I was actually responding to the comment about cyberpunk being from around the 1990s and was just pointing out that the novel most people consider to be the start of the genre was from the early 1980s.

Personally I think the genre goes all the way back to 1981 and Vernor Vinge's True Names, or 1980 and John Ford's Web of Angels, though you could argue 1975's Shockwave Rider by John Brunner. Cyberpunk has been around longer than most people think.

Try 1956, The Stars My Destination.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_S...

maverickz wrote:
tanstaafl wrote:
ranalin wrote:
tanstaafl wrote:

Neuromancer, while not the first "cyberpunk" novel but the one gets all the attention, came out in 1984.

The original game Cyberpunk (set in the far-distant future of 2013!) came out in 1988.

Gibson was the one who coined the term 'cyberpunk'

Yeah, I think he had a short story titled that and the name stuck for the genre.

I was actually responding to the comment about cyberpunk being from around the 1990s and was just pointing out that the novel most people consider to be the start of the genre was from the early 1980s.

Personally I think the genre goes all the way back to 1981 and Vernor Vinge's True Names, or 1980 and John Ford's Web of Angels, though you could argue 1975's Shockwave Rider by John Brunner. Cyberpunk has been around longer than most people think.

Try 1956, The Stars My Destination.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_S...

Vorga, I kill you filthy!

tanstaafl wrote:
ranalin wrote:
tanstaafl wrote:

Neuromancer, while not the first "cyberpunk" novel but the one gets all the attention, came out in 1984.

The original game Cyberpunk (set in the far-distant future of 2013!) came out in 1988.

Gibson was the one who coined the term 'cyberpunk'

Yeah, I think he had a short story titled that and the name stuck for the genre.

I was actually responding to the comment about cyberpunk being from around the 1990s and was just pointing out that the novel most people consider to be the start of the genre was from the early 1980s.

Personally I think the genre goes all the way back to 1981 and Vernor Vinge's True Names, or 1980 and John Ford's Web of Angels, though you could argue 1975's Shockwave Rider by John Brunner. Cyberpunk has been around longer than most people think.

Cyberspace had been around a bit longer, but the Cyberpunk really didn't show up until Gibson.

I am excited, but not hyped. Will wait until I see some gameplay footage.

Manach wrote:

I am excited, but not hyped. Will wait until I see some gameplay footage.

That's a good point, we all expect it to be good because we know the developer is and the quality of the trailer, but in the end any Dev can make a poor game and it's all about the gameplay. Still, it's hard not to be a little excited.

Is it just me, or do cg trailers feel kind of quaint these days?

Not that I mind when they do it so well. That was gorgeous, sets the tone for the game, and even had a little narrative payoff. Getting Tomasz Bagiński to direct that stuff for them was a really smart move by CD Projekt.

Alien Love Gardener wrote:

Is it just me, or do cg trailers feel kind of quaint these days?

Not that I mind when they do it so well. That was gorgeous, sets the tone for the game, and even had a little narrative payoff. Getting Tomasz Bagiński to direct that stuff for them was a really smart move by CD Projekt.

That GC trailer has been the exception for them, it was commissioned for the console release. Pretty much everything else has been in-engine, and this one was what they are aiming for in-engine with game assets.

Scratched wrote:
Alien Love Gardener wrote:

Is it just me, or do cg trailers feel kind of quaint these days?

Not that I mind when they do it so well. That was gorgeous, sets the tone for the game, and even had a little narrative payoff. Getting Tomasz Bagiński to direct that stuff for them was a really smart move by CD Projekt.

That GC trailer has been the exception for them, it was commissioned for the console release. Pretty much everything else has been in-engine, and this one was what they are aiming for in-engine with game assets.

If that's true, I am VERY glad I held off on upgrading my GTX275 as long as I have. I think I might upgrade with the generation after this if I can, two generations into the 'next-gen' console/pc cycle.

Using TW2 as an example it's one of those games that will push your system if you let it, but the art style is such that the important broad strokes are preserved even on low. One thing they haven't said yet though is anything along the lines of "if you can run TW2, you can run this".

Scratched wrote:

Using TW2 as an example it's one of those games that will push your system if you let it, but the art style is such that the important broad strokes are preserved even on low. One thing they haven't said yet though is anything along the lines of "if you can run TW2, you can run this".

i hope they dont. if that last Unreal demo was any indication, there's still a huge leap to be had in graphics and fidelity. i dont care how much media wants to pretend we're hitting a plateau, we're still pretty damn far before it turns into an actually silly race for 'realism'.

Oh certainly, there's more that can be done, it's just a case of each studio picking their 'good enough' level. They did a lot for a DX9/cross-platform game though

Personally I think TW2 would benefit a lot from animation rather than pushing art, little things like needing to align with certain points (doors, ledges, etc) to play a canned animation. Or perhaps removing some of the 'airlocks' or twisty valleys to hide streaming.

Alien Love Gardener wrote:

Is it just me, or do cg trailers feel kind of quaint these days?

Not that I mind when they do it so well. That was gorgeous, sets the tone for the game, and even had a little narrative payoff. Getting Tomasz Bagiński to direct that stuff for them was a really smart move by CD Projekt.

Although the trailer strikes all the right cords with me, I am concerned about what they'll actually deliver. If Deus Ex:HR told us anything, than it's that CGI trailers may actually look better than and have little to nothing to do with anything the actual game delivers.

Even the TW2 trailers were pretty divorced from the gameplay, even if they were comprised of cutscenes from within the game.

I guess there's different things a trailer can be made to achieve. In the case of DE:HR it was brilliant for selling the setting, mood and story of the game, and really that's what they needed for a prequel to an existing game where you already know what it mostly plays like.

IMAGE(http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/i-Dm4k6Zt/0/950x10000/i-Dm4k6Zt-950x10000.jpg)

Good advice for the whole internet right there.

Wait, people were "raging" about the game being called Cyberpunk 2077?!

Trachalio wrote:

Wait, people were "raging" about the game being called Cyberpunk 2077?!

I think it's at the stage now where a lot of people don't have anything better to do than moan about something being two pixels too far to the left with some things, so you might as well just accept it as background noise and get on with more important things in your life. I guess after so long PA doesn't really have that much material left untouched, so it does come down to 'get off my lawn'.

Trachalio wrote:

Wait, people were "raging" about the game being called Cyberpunk 2077?!

IMAGE(http://www.troll.me/images/butthurt-dweller/welcome-to-the-internet-im-your-guide.jpg)

That face is going to haunt me. Especially the photoshop job. Why are his eyes replaced?

Scratched wrote:
Trachalio wrote:

Wait, people were "raging" about the game being called Cyberpunk 2077?!

I think it's at the stage now where a lot of people don't have anything better to do than moan about something being two pixels too far to the left with some things, so you might as well just accept it as background noise and get on with more important things in your life. I guess after so long PA doesn't really have that much material left untouched, so it does come down to 'get off my lawn'.

I think it's more of a case that sadly most of the internet (at least gaming sphere) is made up of folks who are too young to remember or know that Cyberpunk 2020 was a thing.

ranalin wrote:
Scratched wrote:
Trachalio wrote:

Wait, people were "raging" about the game being called Cyberpunk 2077?!

I think it's at the stage now where a lot of people don't have anything better to do than moan about something being two pixels too far to the left with some things, so you might as well just accept it as background noise and get on with more important things in your life. I guess after so long PA doesn't really have that much material left untouched, so it does come down to 'get off my lawn'.

I think it's more of a case that sadly most of the internet (at least gaming sphere) is made up of folks who are too young to remember or know that Cyberpunk 2020 was a thing.

:old:

And I think that's what PA was making fun of; at least, that's how I took it.

ranalin wrote:
Scratched wrote:
Trachalio wrote:

Wait, people were "raging" about the game being called Cyberpunk 2077?!

I think it's at the stage now where a lot of people don't have anything better to do than moan about something being two pixels too far to the left with some things, so you might as well just accept it as background noise and get on with more important things in your life. I guess after so long PA doesn't really have that much material left untouched, so it does come down to 'get off my lawn'.

I think it's more of a case that sadly most of the internet (at least gaming sphere) is made up of folks who are too young to remember or know that Cyberpunk 2020 was a thing.

:old:

Bingo!

Man, talk about Monday shenanigans. Not only did I just repost a video that was posted two posts before me... I double posted it too! *FACEPALM*

*sigh* Double post

Citizen86 wrote:

That face is going to haunt me. Especially the photoshop job. Why are his eyes replaced?

Replaced? Oh. Oh. No, I think his prescription is just that heavy.

Also, that font keeps making me read this game as "CyberFunk."

kazooka wrote:

Also, that font keeps making me read this game as "CyberFunk."

That font comes right off the cover of the source materials for the game.

Looked like:
IMAGE(http://cplus2magazine.com/newmag/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/cyberpunk2020_1-500x348.jpg)