CD Projekt's Upcoming Title: Cyberpunk

Soooo... I should be pleased with these system requirements because they should mean my 3700X and RTX 2080 will crush the game.

Instead of I am baffled bordering on paranoid. Is this targeting 720p 30fps? Enough peopled got burned by the RDR2 system requirements...

Looks like my processor is now scraping the edge of good enough (an i5-3570k, the exact minimum requirement)—which probably means not really good enough if I really want to experience the game optimally.

Well, I wasn't really expecting to play this on my current aging rig anyway. And I haven't finished the Witcher 3 yet either.

Rykin wrote:

System specs announced during todays stream:

IMAGE(https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/8MjfPnkQfS6jKEtpgAhswH-650-80.png)

Does that come in a non-enhanced human vision version? I'm old.

Only if you have the NeoCortical mod Gamma USB 9 brainstem port... Seems kind of overkill, though, to use it for old school epaper...

Non-enhanced.

Postcards from Night City

Gangs of Night City

tuffalobuffalo wrote:

Sweet! I have Dolby Atmos for headphones set up on my computer and a GTX 1080, so I should be pretty good for everything without ray tracing at 1440p. I'm guessing I won't get my hands on a 3080 until next year.

Funny, when I first saw this I thought "oh, good, my GPU can probably handle this pretty well".

Then I remember, no that's not true because of the way nvidia names their cards.

I'm currently using a GTX 1650 Gaming X (4 GB), which I bought in a rush to replace my suddenly dead GTX 780 a year or so ago. Hopefully it was at least a slight improvement there, but as for comparing it against the 1080, that "50" compared to the "80" really means a lot.

I've been thinking of getting a new PC for Flight Sim (and secondarily for Cyberpunk), but I've been dragging my feet on that both because of the new 30x0 cards and because Flight Sim has been running at least tolerably on my old machine.

trueheart78 wrote:

Postcards from Night City

Oh, and in case anyone was curious, of course the website featured in this video is active.

mrlogical wrote:

Yeah, it is funny, I have put somewhere between 20-60 hours each into The Witchers 1 2 and 3 and not finished any of them

You should really go back to Witcher 2 at least. You can't be more than a few hours from the end. I think my playtime on that one was ~18 hours.

Hrdina wrote:
tuffalobuffalo wrote:

Sweet! I have Dolby Atmos for headphones set up on my computer and a GTX 1080, so I should be pretty good for everything without ray tracing at 1440p. I'm guessing I won't get my hands on a 3080 until next year.

Funny, when I first saw this I thought "oh, good, my GPU can probably handle this pretty well".

Then I remember, no that's not true because of the way nvidia names their cards.

I'm currently using a GTX 1650 Gaming X (4 GB), which I bought in a rush to replace my suddenly dead GTX 780 a year or so ago. Hopefully it was at least a slight improvement there, but as for comparing it against the 1080, that "50" compared to the "80" really means a lot.

I've been thinking of getting a new PC for Flight Sim (and secondarily for Cyberpunk), but I've been dragging my feet on that both because of the new 30x0 cards and because Flight Sim has been running at least tolerably on my old machine.

i had the same panic about my CPU. I have an admittedly now shiney new I5 7600k, and they are calling for I7-4790. apparently the trailing number is way more important than the I-number so whew panic averted.

thrawn82 wrote:
Hrdina wrote:
tuffalobuffalo wrote:

Sweet! I have Dolby Atmos for headphones set up on my computer and a GTX 1080, so I should be pretty good for everything without ray tracing at 1440p. I'm guessing I won't get my hands on a 3080 until next year.

Funny, when I first saw this I thought "oh, good, my GPU can probably handle this pretty well".

Then I remember, no that's not true because of the way nvidia names their cards.

I'm currently using a GTX 1650 Gaming X (4 GB), which I bought in a rush to replace my suddenly dead GTX 780 a year or so ago. Hopefully it was at least a slight improvement there, but as for comparing it against the 1080, that "50" compared to the "80" really means a lot.

I've been thinking of getting a new PC for Flight Sim (and secondarily for Cyberpunk), but I've been dragging my feet on that both because of the new 30x0 cards and because Flight Sim has been running at least tolerably on my old machine.

i had the same panic about my CPU. I have an admittedly now shiney new I5 7600k, and they are calling for I7-4790. apparently the trailing number is way more important than the I-number so whew panic averted.

Your 7600k has 4 cores without hyperthreading.

A 4790, though an older architecture, is 4 threads with hyperthreading, so 4 cores and 8 threads.

4 core CPU's without hyperthreading are increasingly hitting the wall in newer games coded to take advantage of more cores and threads, RDR2 is one example.

Middcore wrote:
thrawn82 wrote:
Hrdina wrote:
tuffalobuffalo wrote:

Sweet! I have Dolby Atmos for headphones set up on my computer and a GTX 1080, so I should be pretty good for everything without ray tracing at 1440p. I'm guessing I won't get my hands on a 3080 until next year.

Funny, when I first saw this I thought "oh, good, my GPU can probably handle this pretty well".

Then I remember, no that's not true because of the way nvidia names their cards.

I'm currently using a GTX 1650 Gaming X (4 GB), which I bought in a rush to replace my suddenly dead GTX 780 a year or so ago. Hopefully it was at least a slight improvement there, but as for comparing it against the 1080, that "50" compared to the "80" really means a lot.

I've been thinking of getting a new PC for Flight Sim (and secondarily for Cyberpunk), but I've been dragging my feet on that both because of the new 30x0 cards and because Flight Sim has been running at least tolerably on my old machine.

i had the same panic about my CPU. I have an admittedly now shiney new I5 7600k, and they are calling for I7-4790. apparently the trailing number is way more important than the I-number so whew panic averted.

Your 7600k has 4 cores without hyperthreading.

A 4790, though an older architecture, is 4 threads with hyperthreading, so 4 cores and 8 threads.

4 core CPU's without hyperthreading are increasingly hitting the wall in newer games coded to take advantage of more cores and threads, RDR2 is one example.

Z

So what's your recommendation if I want to run Cyberpunk? I really don't understand much about what happens inside the magic boxes, I was just going by basic benchmarks, but it sounds like there's more nuance than I thought.

Middcore wrote:

Or maybe your character is just insane and hallucinating him, can't entirely rule that out.

Wasn't there a Batman game that did this with The Joker? It was well done. Of course, Mark Hamill's voice work for Joker is out-of-this-world brilliant.

Cyberpunk 2077 will be shorter than The Witcher 3 because players complained it was too long

TFA wrote:

When it came to exactly how many hours of completionist stuff there would be in the game, Mills added that he didn’t “have that number”. Given that The Witcher 3 takes around 52 hours to complete on average, or well over 100 hours for a completionist run, it seems likely Cyberpunk will still have plenty of sidequests to beef things up.

Steam tells me I spent 234 hours on Witcher 3, including both expansions. I honestly thought I had played longer, but numbers are numbers. Also, I'm not sure if that counted as "completionist". I think I did all of the main & side quests, but I only had 62 of the 78 achievements. I ignored almost everything involving gwent.

Good! It was somewhere around step 37 of the quest to find Dandelion that I fell off in my first playthrough, and although I completed that quest chain on my second attempt, I think it contributed to me sputtering out a dozen or so hours later. Nothing wrong with being tight and focused, especially if there is good content outside of the main story that you can explore whenever you want.

Yeah, it was about 3/4 of the way through that I found I had to force myself to get through. I almost always get that way with open world RPGs, and I can't imagine Cyberpunk will be much different in that regard.

I had no problem with the length of Witcher 3's campaign, if anything I wish it had been longer because all of Act Three is pretty clearly rushed and only barely makes sense as a narrative.

One of the things about the Witcher that impressed me was how seamlessly side quests were woven into the main quest. I was shocked to see the Bloody Baron was a very well regarded side quest, I thought it was the main quest! I felt the same way about all the quests involving Redanian politics, was that main or side? To me it was all just part of the story. I think my play through was maybe 110 ish hours.

Brownypoints wrote:

I was shocked to see the Bloody Baron was a very well regarded side quest, I thought it was the main quest!

Was it though? I thought the main quest was 'follow Ciri' but you couldn't proceed until you did some stuff in each zone. I may be wrong, it was a while ago.

Weaving the stories of multiple quests was certainly a strength though that I hope CyberPunk continues.

PaladinTom wrote:
Brownypoints wrote:

I was shocked to see the Bloody Baron was a very well regarded side quest, I thought it was the main quest!

Was it though? I thought the main quest was 'follow Ciri' but you couldn't proceed until you did some stuff in each zone. I may be wrong, it was a while ago.

Weaving the stories of multiple quests was certainly a strength though that I hope CyberPunk continues.

Well, depends on how you define side quest (which is the point about it being interwoven). You only had to resolve a portion of the Baron's quest (find his family) and the rest could be handled in a variety of ways. The outcomes of those various threads were separate from the main quest.

The only really annoyingly drawn out portion of the game for me was finding Dandelion. There were a few too many barely related fetch quests attached to that. I can see why people mention falling off the game at that point.

Random tidbit while waiting for Cyberpunk 2077: I just discovered that Warren Zevon released a William Gibson / cyberpunk influenced album back in 1989. It sold terribly.

But, overall, it's good. There are a number of really solid tracks.

Certainly, it's way better than Billy Idol's cyberpunk album.

I have a question for people who know the table top game and the back story, Is there any weird stuff going on in the Cyberpunk 2077 world? I mean, I'm ready for a hard boiled tale of greed. violence and inequality in a free market dystopian future. But part of me still wants a tiny bit of unexplained mysteries, cthulhu monsters cults, doors to other dimensions and worlds, Aliens and having a side quest where I rescue Ciri from the Wild hunt in a biker bar.

Hrdina wrote:
tuffalobuffalo wrote:

Sweet! I have Dolby Atmos for headphones set up on my computer and a GTX 1080, so I should be pretty good for everything without ray tracing at 1440p. I'm guessing I won't get my hands on a 3080 until next year.

Funny, when I first saw this I thought "oh, good, my GPU can probably handle this pretty well".

Then I remember, no that's not true because of the way nvidia names their cards.

I'm currently using a GTX 1650 Gaming X (4 GB), which I bought in a rush to replace my suddenly dead GTX 780 a year or so ago. Hopefully it was at least a slight improvement there, but as for comparing it against the 1080, that "50" compared to the "80" really means a lot.

Note that the optimal requirement is for a 1060, not an 80. (it is hard to read, but I zoomed in real close and I'm pretty darn sure.) The 1650 is notably slower; a 1060 is 34% faster according to UserBenchmarks. (your 1650 also cost half as much, so it's not like you were robbed or anything.) It'll probably play okay, but you may have to turn some settings down.

thrawn82 wrote:

i had the same panic about my CPU. I have an admittedly now shiney new I5 7600k, and they are calling for I7-4790. apparently the trailing number is way more important than the I-number so whew panic averted.

You don't have hyperthreading on that i5, which means you lose ~15% total throughput, but your CPU is three generations newer. They've been improving at about 5% per generation, so it'll probably be about a wash. Plus, the 7600K is clocked a scoche higher, at a 3.8GHz base clock instead of the 3.6GHz clock of the 4790. That'll give you another 5%.

I think you'll be fine.

Brownypoints wrote:

I have a question for people who know the table top game and the back story, Is there any weird stuff going on in the Cyberpunk 2077 world? I mean, I'm ready for a hard boiled tale of greed. violence and inequality in a free market dystopian future. But part of me still wants a tiny bit of unexplained mysteries, cthulhu monsters cults, doors to other dimensions and worlds, Aliens and having a side quest where I rescue Ciri from the Wild hunt in a biker bar.

Not really. The closest you might get is weird AI spooks in the Net.
Night's Edge was a vampire/werewolf/psychic powers add on likely 'inspired' by the success of White Wolf. I doubt it's going to be represented in the mainline 2077 lore.

imbiginjapan wrote:

The closest you might get is weird AI spooks in the Net.

I had to re-read this three times before I disappointedly concluded that there wasn't going to be another epic cameo in the game.

merphle wrote:
imbiginjapan wrote:

The closest you might get is weird AI spooks in the Net.

I had to re-read this three times before I disappointedly concluded that there wasn't going to be another epic cameo in the game.

If that happens, everybody can just stop making video games because we will have reached the pinnacle of the art.

I really hope there is a quest to help a short, bald, reporter with a tattoo and weird glasses.

Malor wrote:
thrawn82 wrote:

i had the same panic about my CPU. I have an admittedly now shiney new I5 7600k, and they are calling for I7-4790. apparently the trailing number is way more important than the I-number so whew panic averted.

You don't have hyperthreading on that i5, which means you lose ~15% total throughput, but your CPU is three generations newer. They've been improving at about 5% per generation, so it'll probably be about a wash. Plus, the 7600K is clocked a scoche higher, at a 3.8GHz base clock instead of the 3.6GHz clock of the 4790. That'll give you another 5%.

I think you'll be fine.

Eh too late i already used this thread as an excuse to spend of of my refinance over-flow on an i9-10900k setup. darn.

I do appreciate taking the time for the analysis though.

imbiginjapan wrote:
merphle wrote:
imbiginjapan wrote:

The closest you might get is weird AI spooks in the Net.

I had to re-read this three times before I disappointedly concluded that there wasn't going to be another epic cameo in the game.

If that happens, everybody can just stop making video games because we will have reached the pinnacle of the art.

Boy, now no matter how amazing this game turns out, it will be shaded by a small kernel of disappointment if this epic cameo doesn't happen.

Spoiler:

He does have some related experience:

I do think my C64 is neato, TYVM.

imbiginjapan wrote:
Brownypoints wrote:

I have a question for people who know the table top game and the back story, Is there any weird stuff going on in the Cyberpunk 2077 world? I mean, I'm ready for a hard boiled tale of greed. violence and inequality in a free market dystopian future. But part of me still wants a tiny bit of unexplained mysteries, cthulhu monsters cults, doors to other dimensions and worlds, Aliens and having a side quest where I rescue Ciri from the Wild hunt in a biker bar.

Not really. The closest you might get is weird AI spooks in the Net.
Night's Edge was a vampire/werewolf/psychic powers add on likely 'inspired' by the success of White Wolf. I doubt it's going to be represented in the mainline 2077 lore.

This... I'm hoping there's some actual net/cyberspace shenanigan's to do that involve breakers and black ice.