Monster Hunter 3 (Wii) Catch-All

No, no Hammer for you! You better stick with the Switch-Axe. The Hammer is mine! *throws iPad at kids*

My own six hour impressions!

I like how they integrated the tutorial into the gameplay. The pace is a bit slow for a "veteran" but I can see how it's much more welcoming to a new player. I just wish they'd included more about weapons. They basically seem to say, "hey, there are weapons" and leave it at that. Money isn't insanely tight but starting weapons aren't all that cheap for what you get. You need to blow some precious starting funds to try everything out. I was also surprised to find that when you change between a "blade" weapon and a "gunner" weapon it swaps out your entire inventory, and while the stash has a little tab for "gunner pouch" or "blademaster pouch," they don't actually seem to contain your old stuff. You seem to need to switch back to access your inventory again.

They also have only vaguely alluded to skills so far, which is a very useful and very complicated system. If you're unclear, read here for an explanation of the system and here for MH3 skills. Basically, each bit of armor, decoration and charm has some +'s and -'s to skills. Until you hit 10 or -10 total, that's basically meaningless. 10 will give you a first-tier benefit and -10 will give you a first-tier penalty. Some skills have a second or third tier at 15 or 20 points, respectively, which will confer larger bonuses or penalties. Some skills are basic, like a boost to health or defense. Some replace tools by granting immunity to hot or cold or even automatically marking large monsters on your map as if you'd hit them with a paintball. Some make you more effective with your weapon by preventing it from bouncing off (sadly they seem to have taken out the "never reload" ability from earlier games).

Many sets of armor will give you a few beneficial skills and a few penalties. To maximize your armor's effectiveness, you'll want to mix and match pieces to get close to the skills you want and then use decorations to make up for any shortfall and prevent penalties from triggering by hitting -10.

I've been using a lance and bowgun mostly. The former is for day to day use and the latter is for when I'm going swimming since it makes it easier to hunt fish and the like. I like the way they've divided bowguns into components in this one though I'm guessing that means I won't be able to get my awesome long-barrel Daora's Delphinidae, which looks kind of like a spikey minigun with a huge revolver cylinder and barrel on the front. I also don't imagine they've got the awesome lobster gun from the other games. The lance has excellent defense, good offense and a wide range of moves, but it's slow and awkward when you're doing anything but stabbing and it's easy to miss with that. It's definitely a "tank" kind of weapon since it's great at defense but virtually eliminates your ability to dodge. I'll likely switch to the longsword once it becomes available since that's what I used for most of the PSP games (me and everyone else with a Devil Slicer).

I'm loving the hell out of this game. It's almost exactly what I wanted from the PSP games: bigger screen, better controls, nicer graphics, fewer goddamn cat people, online multiplayer, etc. I do miss the bows and the gunlances and for some reason I feel like there are fewer items in this game than in the PSP one (where you could scroll through 20+ pages of armor pieces). Other than that, though? No complaints.

So, anyone figure out how multiplayer works? I connected to the servers and got some sort of account ID code that looks every bit as clumsy as a Wii friend code.

Nice to see we're settling into our own weapons, BTW. I apologize in advance for trampling people with my lance charges and/or blowing them up with bowgun shots. It will happen. I will laugh. You will not.

I can't wait to start delving into this one, hopefully either tonight or tomorrow night! Great impressions guys!

So my question is, should i go buy this game today or just wait a month for super mario galaxy 2? I can trade a few games in to make it cheaper than 50 bucks. worth it?

Pro tip: I strongly advise against trying to take down Quropeco without a green-sharpness weapon. My hammer bangs off everything except its head.

Notes from the Clumsy Hunter: Don't kill important things near zone-lines. There's a Great Jaggi in between Zones 7 and 3 that shall not be carved.

Also, that code is labeled online support code, so I think it's just assigned to you at the start so customer service can ID you when offline. I dunno.

Nekroman wrote:

So my question is, should i go buy this game today or just wait a month for super mario galaxy 2? I can trade a few games in to make it cheaper than 50 bucks. worth it?

Well that really depends. You more interested in killing dragons or chasing after pretty rainbow stars in your frilly girl dress?

If you buy Monster Hunter Tri and really get into it, it'll be Galaxy 4 before you come up for air. That kind of longevity is worth it, I think.

Thanks for the impressions Lobstermobster and Blind Evil!

Welcome, Larry.

By the way, anyone know if there's a way to add a monster to the guide without using the Wiimote? It's kind of a pain to have to stand there while I reach over and pick the thing up every time I see a new monster. Especially if that's a horrifically dangerous monster I'm supposed to run from.

LobsterMobster wrote:
Nekroman wrote:

So my question is, should i go buy this game today or just wait a month for super mario galaxy 2? I can trade a few games in to make it cheaper than 50 bucks. worth it?

Well that really depends. You more interested in killing dragons or chasing after pretty rainbow stars in your frilly girl dress?

That is some funny sh*t, i will have to go and buy this game TODAY!

LobsterMobster wrote:

Welcome, Larry.

By the way, anyone know if there's a way to add a monster to the guide without using the Wiimote? It's kind of a pain to have to stand there while I reach over and pick the thing up every time I see a new monster. Especially if that's a horrifically dangerous monster I'm supposed to run from.

I must have been dozing off last night and skipped the tutorial, I have no idea what you're referencing. I guess I should read up.

Ran into my first "wall" monster. Gobul. Eff you, Gobul. I have a plan, though.

LobsterMobster wrote:
Nekroman wrote:

So my question is, should i go buy this game today or just wait a month for super mario galaxy 2? I can trade a few games in to make it cheaper than 50 bucks. worth it?

Well that really depends. You more interested in killing dragons or chasing after pretty rainbow stars in your frilly girl dress?

Since I decided to go with the pretty rainbow stars and frilly girl dresses, am I no longer allowed in this thread?

Picked this up last night after work, played for three hours straight before turning it off. I have to agree with Lobster, even though I'm no vet, Tri is a much better experience than playing the PSP games. They always seemed interesting to me, but the tiny screen and controls turned me off pretty quick.

So far I've made it through the tutorial missions, and have since started on the 1-star guild quests. I tried out the great sword, but it was way too slow and clumsy for me. I went back to sword and shield pretty quick, even though I don't do nearly as much damage. I might go back and try the other weapons, but as noted above they are pretty expensive for what you get. I do know that I'll at least try out the switch axe when I get it, I'd also like to try out the traditional long sword as well.

I also wanted to mention I love the underwater areas, can't wait to see more of them. It's really cool swimming through an underwater cavern, scouring the bottom for items, then turning around to see a tri of sharks coming straight for you. I can't wait to see some of the bigger stuff.

Overall, fantastic game and I can't wait to play more. I'd definitely like to get down with some of the GWJ crew for some coordinated monster hunting.

One of the reasons I'm not in a hurry to pick this up is that it doesn't support the GameCube controller. I don't feel like paying the extra money for the classic controller when it doesn't look as good as the GameCube controller (I don't like the PS2/PS3 controllers mainly due to the left analog stick placement).

I'm sure I'll pick it up eventually with a new classic controller.

Nekroman wrote:
LobsterMobster wrote:
Nekroman wrote:

So my question is, should i go buy this game today or just wait a month for super mario galaxy 2? I can trade a few games in to make it cheaper than 50 bucks. worth it?

Well that really depends. You more interested in killing dragons or chasing after pretty rainbow stars in your frilly girl dress?

That is some funny sh*t, i will have to go and buy this game TODAY!

Wow, I need to start charging Capcom for this.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

Since I decided to go with the pretty rainbow stars and frilly girl dresses, am I no longer allowed in this thread?

I'd tell you, but you're no longer allowed in this thread so you'd never see the answer.

Blind_Evil wrote:

I must have been dozing off last night and skipped the tutorial, I have no idea what you're referencing. I guess I should read up.

Ran into my first "wall" monster. Gobul. Eff you, Gobul. I have a plan, though.

My very first wall monster ever was a giant pink monkey that kept farting on me. He died stuck in a hole with his legs sticking in the air, after I blew up a giant keg of gunpowder right next to his ass.

Anyway! It seems that monsters are not automatically added to your guidebook. What you do is bring up your Hunter Info page, the one with the tabs at the bottom for things like monster info, etc., and then you hold down the B button on the Wiimote. A cursor will form on screen. Hold it over a monster (any monster) and then press A in the typical "picking stuff up" motion. Drag the monster into your book and it will be added to your monster list. Keep in mind that you're standing there vulnerable that whole time. Also keep in mind that the monster will not become trapped in your book and you must still kill it.

As for the POINT of adding monsters to your list... No idea. It gives you a little bit of info and scratches a collecting itch. Other than that, I don't know what benefit there is. In fact, I don't even know for sure if you don't get the entry just by killing the stupid thing too.

Glycerine wrote:

I tried out the great sword, but it was way too slow and clumsy for me. I went back to sword and shield pretty quick, even though I don't do nearly as much damage. I might go back and try the other weapons, but as noted above they are pretty expensive for what you get. I do know that I'll at least try out the switch axe when I get it, I'd also like to try out the traditional long sword as well.

Sounds like you're familiar with the longsword so that might be a good option for you. Otherwise, consider the hammer. It's shorter range than the greatsword but it is faster and does much the same thing. It can also knock monsters silly if you hit them on the head, which is both fun and helpful. Speaking of which, I stabbed a Kelbi with my SnS and he fell on the ground dizzy (little yellow stars around the head). I killed him on the ground and skinned him... then he stood up and galloped off, vanishing after a moment. Methinks the game doesn't expect you to kill monsters while they're dizzy. Either that or HOLY CRAP GHOST KELBI.

Glycerine wrote:

I also wanted to mention I love the underwater areas, can't wait to see more of them. It's really cool swimming through an underwater cavern, scouring the bottom for items, then turning around to see a tri of sharks coming straight for you. I can't wait to see some of the bigger stuff.

The underwater stuff is much better than I thought it'd be. It feels a little bit gimmicky at times (suddenly everyone seems very interested in underwater monsters and items) but the control is much better than I was expecting and I was very surprised at how well they adapted each weapon's playstyle to the new environment. I was NOT expecting being able to charge with a lance while underwater. The oxygen thing is great too. You can hold your breath a ridiculously long time so it doesn't really get in the way, but it's still something to worry about. I was hiding from a very large underwater predator and very nearly had to blow my cover because I was running out of air. He swam away just in time.

FakeKisser wrote:

One of the reasons I'm not in a hurry to pick this up is that it doesn't support the GameCube controller. I don't feel like paying the extra money for the classic controller when it doesn't look as good as the GameCube controller (I don't like the PS2/PS3 controllers mainly due to the left analog stick placement).

I'm sure I'll pick it up eventually with a new classic controller.

I wanted to use my Wavebird myself. The "classic" controller ironically has one more button than the GameCube controller, which is why you need the new controller.

Zone 8 of the Flooded Forest has a neat underwater section, complete with unique music to set the mood. It's one of my favorite zones in the game so far (the above-water stuff there is neat too).

ClockworkHouse wrote:

Since I decided to go with the pretty rainbow stars and frilly girl dresses, am I no longer allowed in this thread?

With the 10 dollar Amazon credit for this and the $20 for Mario Galaxy 2, I don't see why anyone would need to choose! Even Gamestop knocked off 5 bucks and gave out 500 Wii Points to preorders. Retailers are begging for us to choose them.

Blind_Evil wrote:
ClockworkHouse wrote:

Since I decided to go with the pretty rainbow stars and frilly girl dresses, am I no longer allowed in this thread?

With the 10 dollar Amazon credit for this and the $20 for Mario Galaxy 2, I don't see why anyone would need to choose! Even Gamestop knocked off 5 bucks and gave out 500 Wii Points to preorders. Retailers are begging for us to choose them.

I had $60 and could only buy one. Also, I have a one-year-old and only so much time. I'll probably get this at some point, but it could be awhile.

Wait, was I supposed to read that?

ClockworkHouse wrote:

I had $60 and could only buy one. Also, I have a one-year-old and only so much time. I'll probably get this at some point, but it could be awhile.

Wait, was I supposed to read that?

I am not a parent and I have no idea how aware a one-year-old is. I got the impression that they were unable to tell something like Super Mario Galaxy from any brightly colored cartoon, and would have absolutely no idea that what you're doing to that dragon could be classified as "violence," lacking any concept of what violence is. I think it's a bit strange to purchase a game based on the preferences of a one-year-old. Then again, not a parent. I hope I haven't offended.

Unless you're saying that you don't have time for long, time-consuming games because you have a toddler. Which... on second thought, makes a LOT more sense.

LobsterMobster wrote:

Unless you're saying that you don't have time for long, time-consuming games because you have a toddler. Which... on second thought, makes a LOT more sense.

Bingo.

LobsterMobster wrote:
ClockworkHouse wrote:

I had $60 and could only buy one. Also, I have a one-year-old and only so much time. I'll probably get this at some point, but it could be awhile.

Wait, was I supposed to read that?

I am not a parent and I have no idea how aware a one-year-old is. I got the impression that they were unable to tell something like Super Mario Galaxy from any brightly colored cartoon, and would have absolutely no idea that what you're doing to that dragon could be classified as "violence," lacking any concept of what violence is. I think it's a bit strange to purchase a game based on the preferences of a one-year-old. Then again, not a parent. I hope I haven't offended.

Unless you're saying that you don't have time for long, time-consuming games because you have a toddler. Which... on second thought, makes a LOT more sense.

It may be easier to fit the Mario game into your schedule, but it's really doing your child a disservice. By observing you play Monster Hunter your child can begin to absorb the sorts of skills that will be necessary when civilization collapses and we are forced to return to a primitive hunter-gatherer lifestyle. What does Mario teach him? How to get completely pussy whipped by some girl that has always used him and given nothing in return, and that any problem can be solved by jumping on someone's head.

Really, that's terrible parenting.

Anybody have thoughts on my question? Would this game appeal to a Demon's Souls fan? Perhaps a better way to ask that is - does the combat in this game reward skill and preparation, or is mashing sufficient?

ahrezmendi wrote:

Anybody have thoughts on my question? Would this game appeal to a Demon's Souls fan? Perhaps a better way to ask that is - does the combat in this game reward skill and preparation, or is mashing sufficient?

Having played only the demo, so take that into account, I'd say that skill and preparation are the whole point of this game. Mashing was woefully insufficient for me to complete even the basic challenge in the demo, and I doubt it would carry you far past the tutorial in the full game.

Monster Hunter Portable's control is not the best indicator for Tri's control, but if I have to use Portable as a comparison, yeah, in some ways it is kind of like Demon's Souls. The combat system in both games lack the immediacy so frequently found in modern beat-em-up games. Especially with the great sword and other heavier weapons, each swing in Monster Hunter needs to be planned. That said, I can't imagine Monster Hunter's combat being as immediately rewarding. It may have to do with a lack of targeting system, or the restriction in character mobility in some instances. In many ways, even with the camera problem removed in Tri, the control in Monster Hunter can feel even more cumbersome than what's found in Demon's Souls.

As has been said, the true reward in Monster Hunter is in the preparation and planning for the hunt. Components need to be gathered for all aspects of the hunt, including gears, character buffs, weapons buffs, healing items, ammos, sharpening stones, traps, bombs etc. Concrete plans need to be drawn with the assistance of all the aforementioned items. When I used to play a hunter in WoW, I often imagine a scene in which my hunter carefully polishes and upkeeps his tools of trade, sharpening his blades, packing his arrows, and stocking up on food, water, compass, and all other necessities in preparation for the big hunt. With so much dedication, the hunt itself almost feels like an afterthought. If you find yourself appealed to that, Monster Hunter has alot to offer.

The major hunts are an endless series of boss fights. In terms of the demand for perseverance, they are alot like the boss fights in Demon's Souls. I'd equate my first attempt to hunt down an Yian Kut-Ku to the first time I confronted the Flame Lurker. It was a thoroughly draining fight filled with countless frustrating moments, but the satisfaction afterward was phenomenal.

Sold!

Next question, which has been sort of covered but not quite - Do I *need* the classic controller plus? How do the wiimote + nunchuck controls compare?

Re: Lock on - Interestingly, I found that Demon's Souls worked a lot *better* if you didn't use the lock on. It required a slightly different strategy for attack planning, but your options for available attacks opened up dramatically, so I don't think the lack of a lock-on in Monster Hunter sounds like a problem.

ahrezmendi wrote:

Sold!

Next question, which has been sort of covered but not quite - Do I *need* the classic controller plus? How do the wiimote + nunchuck controls compare?

Re: Lock on - Interestingly, I found that Demon's Souls worked a lot *better* if you didn't use the lock on. It required a slightly different strategy for attack planning, but your options for available attacks opened up dramatically, so I don't think the lack of a lock-on in Monster Hunter sounds like a problem.

I'd say you need the CC, but not the Pro. The more I use the pro the more I feel like it is pointless. Not bad, just...I didn't have any issue with the CC except where two of the buttons were, and seems those buttons aren't used in this game. The Wiimote+nunchuk option seems weird, you have alternate button uses for whether or not the Wiimote is twisted. So, A while holding it buttons-up is a upward slash, twist and you get a horizontal, that sort of thing.

The lock-on thing is more about how specific monsters need to be targeted in certain areas. It might be a little weird trying to cut a tail or head-crest off if your camera is locked onto one end of the monster or another.

Status update: On to the four-star quests. Gobul was way easier my second time around, brought a certain item and different weapon and he wasn't bad at all. Upgraded my gear a bit too (from alloy to a combination of ludroth/barroth gear).

Barroth is proving far more troublesome. I wanted to farm his whole set, but killing him even once is very, very resource intensive. I go through a whole stack of mega-potions. I dunno if anyone else has fought him yet, but if so, what gives?

I ask about the controller because I don't have one at all, and the CC Pro is much cheaper on Amazon ($20 vs. $40 for the vanilla CC). I avoid peripherals unless absolutely necessary. It sounds like the difference is negligible though, so I'll probably go with the Pro since it's the more affordable option.

ahrezmendi wrote:

I ask about the controller because I don't have one at all, and the CC Pro is much cheaper on Amazon ($20 vs. $40 for the vanilla CC). I avoid peripherals unless absolutely necessary. It sounds like the difference is negligible though, so I'll probably go with the Pro since it's the more affordable option.

That's... odd. The original CC has always been $20 since release.

I think this is a case of Nintendo discontinuing the CC and replacing it with the CC Pro:

Classic Controller
Classic Controller Pro

Anyway, placed my order, it should arrive early next week, which is good because I need to finish God of War 2. Looking forward to hunting some monsters with folks.

The CC pro comes in a bundle with the game for $60. That's how I got mine.

It's kinda weird, I told myself I'd be online by now, but something is keeping me going in single-player. I think it's pride and a tremendous sense of accomplishment. After having little trouble with Rathian, I felt on top of the world, more so than I can remember in any other game.

Status update: I'm way too far into this game for it to have come out yesterday. Just killed Lagiacrus, now onto the five-star business. I'm telling myself now that tomorrow I will go to get some lunch, do some reading and writing, and hit the gym. BEFORE I PLAY.

I mean, this is why I took these two days off, so I doubt it'll happen, but I can hope.