Monster Hunter 3 (Wii) Catch-All

Hmmm, I'm still not sure a Rathian could be "summoned" by a Quropeco. I know the Rathian and great Jaggi are in that mission already. I ran past the Rathian following the Quropeco into another area, and I was watching my brother play the same mission when the Great Jaggi showed up and started fighting with the Quropeco. Maybe the call attracts the attention of nearby monsters and they come to investigate, I remember horns in the PS2 game would attract wyverns sometimes. Could be like that.

Man, I am really jonesing for this game to come out. That demo just made me want it now dammit!

Maybe when they say "summon" they don't mean it's generating a Rathian out of MP with its Rathian materia, but rather saying, "hey, get over here" to the Rathian that's already somewhere on the map. It could easily be, as Rob said, just a local coming to investigate a loud and unusual noise.

You guys are probably right. The Rathian didn't follow is from zone to zone until Q started making a fuss again. I'd been under the impression that large monsters were only around if you were on a mission involving them.

Looks pretty cool.

Shame about my PSP breaking. Spose if I like 3 enough, I could get a new one for this (and a couple games I've been missing).

I really don't like the load time/battery issues on the system, though.

The good: Gunlance! Woot.

The bad: Looks like they're going back to the stupid cat things again. Maybe this time they won't have a menu that howls NYAH! at you, literally every 2 seconds.

A friend just sent me this video. Hilarious!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNIWn...

Rob_Anybody wrote:
Hilarious!

I think the
Spoiler:
cop
was sold!

I like this one, too.

IMAGE(http://www.uniquedaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/cookie-monster-hunter.jpg)

Cookie Monster noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

My anticipation for this game is (surprisingly) getting uncomfortable to the point I'm considering buying alternatives.

Hence, is the original MH1 for PS2 worth a try for 15 bucks or so? I could buy it used at Gamestop most likely, and return it within seven days.

I only know the PSP games.

Got the demo today at Gamestop.

Used the long sword. Died once to the 1-star monster, but finally killed it after like 5 zones and using 5 med potions or whatever.

Clearly I have no idea what the hell I'm doing. Never touched this series before.

But I'm intrigued. Want to try again with different weapons, learn controls better, etc.

Was expecting some basic tutorial stage for demo instead of just being tossed into the wild on a hunt. But oh well, still piqued my interest somewhat.

Hopefully there's a few people here that will be looking to coop. Wii friend code exchange and stuff later, after the game is out.

Stele wrote:

Hopefully there's a few people here that will be looking to coop. Wii friend code exchange and stuff later, after the game is out.

Me! I'm in the same boat, I ordered the bundle with the classic controller which I think will be easier for me to control than the Wii-mote. Maybe we can get a gwj newbie group going on occasion. Seems like that would make for the best stories.

lordpolish wrote:
Stele wrote:

Hopefully there's a few people here that will be looking to coop. Wii friend code exchange and stuff later, after the game is out.

Me! I'm in the same boat, I ordered the bundle with the classic controller which I think will be easier for me to control than the Wii-mote. Maybe we can get a gwj newbie group going on occasion. Seems like that would make for the best stories. :)

Me too! I can kill the first guy with little trouble now but have run out of time on the second quite a few times. I get her limping, she flies off, and time is up.

I don't think we'll need to exchange friend codes, just names. One of the great myths of Wii online play is that all games require friend codes, when most do not. FCs are usually a Nintendo-developed-only thing.

I haven't pre-ordered yet but you can count on me being active. It was by chance that I came to appreciate this series. The used PSP I bought came with MHF2. I didn't have to bother getting more games because it took up all my handheld time.

I'd love to voice chat during our future adventures but I don't have, nor plan to get, Wii Speak. Anyone have suggestions how we can go about this?

I have determined I suck at this game. Played the demo 3 more times today and ran out of time on the first monster every time. I tried the big sword, the sword/shield and then the gun. And never could kill it. It makes me wonder how I finished the first time with long sword.

Still not sure if I want to order at this point. Losing is not fun. And I wanted to try all the other demo stuff I've read about like making a net, fishing, etc. But there's no time for that and killing the monster both.

I wouldn't dwell on your current ability. You just started playing Monster Hunter and in the game a fight like this is at least a few hours in. The series is half exploration and half combat. As long as you don't dislike one of those you should be fine.

Stele wrote:
I have determined I suck at this game. Played the demo 3 more times today and ran out of time on the first monster every time. I tried the big sword, the sword/shield and then the gun. And never could kill it. It makes me wonder how I finished the first time with long sword.

Still not sure if I want to order at this point. Losing is not fun. And I wanted to try all the other demo stuff I've read about like making a net, fishing, etc. But there's no time for that and killing the monster both.

The long sword is a little overpowered I gather, and you don't unlock it for a bit.

I'd try doing all that stuff and ignoring the monster. You normally get longer to do each mission, I think.

Apparently a big part of why this game is so popular in Japan is the network of teacher-student relationships it creates, with veterans teaching all their friends how to play, who get good and then go teach others. Hopefully we can get some of that group-learn going on here.

cyrax wrote:
I haven't pre-ordered yet but you can count on me being active. It was by chance that I came to appreciate this series. The used PSP I bought came with MHF2. I didn't have to bother getting more games because it took up all my handheld time.

I'd love to voice chat during our future adventures but I don't have, nor plan to get, Wii Speak. Anyone have suggestions how we can go about this?

I have a Wii Speak, but haven't ever used it, dunno if it's quality or what. If we have 360s we could turn them on and use party chat there. Otherwise I don't know, neither my stick microphone nor the built in one on my laptop seem to be any good. I'd rather not buy a headset.

Edit: Okay, I just played way too much of the demo, and I've become satisfied with myself, particularly with my Switch Axe skills. I managed to take out the Great Jaggi without use of any heals (twice), and Qurupeco with only two potions.

Anyone with previous experience with the series, do you have potions on your average hunt? I don't imagine the large amount of supplies you're given in the demo are there in normal missions. Is it reasonable money-wise to bring 5 or so potions on every trip?

Blind_Evil wrote:
Anyone with previous experience with the series, do you have potions on your average hunt? I don't imagine the large amount of supplies you're given in the demo are there in normal missions. Is it reasonable money-wise to bring 5 or so potions on every trip?

There are two kinds of items, the ones you bring with you and the "supply" items you get from the box. The supply items are free but are usually the bare minimum they expect you to need. Any supply items you don't use will be taken from you at the end of the mission. Everything else in your inventory you get to keep.

In the PSP games, I would bring the maximum number of mega potions and normal potions, a few steaks (for me, the damn monster can get his own!), my BBQ pit (for making more steaks for me), some hot and/or cold potions as needed, paint balls, whetstones, and depending on what I was hunting I might also bring some stun bombs and traps. I might even bring the components to make more traps in the field. Bombs, too, if needed. I'd also take some fishing lines and pickaxes if I wanted to gather any materials.

As a bowgunner you're bringing even more as you also have ammunition to worry about. I'd bring the maximum amount of the most powerful rounds, as well as the maximum amount of materials to make more of them in the field.

The thing is, you don't really spend money on potions. You look for bushes and harvest green herbs from them. Then you look for patches of mushrooms and get blue mushrooms. Combine them and you have your health potion. Look for a beehive to get honey and combine that with your health potion for a mega health potion. You aren't expected to do that in the field but if you pick up stuff you find along your way you can keep a decent stock back at your base.

The PSP games also have farms where you can collect crafting materials like that but I've heard that was concession to the format and that the console versions usually make you do your collecting in the field.

LobsterMobster wrote:

The thing is, you don't really spend money on potions. You look for bushes and harvest green herbs from them. Then you look for patches of mushrooms and get blue mushrooms. Combine them and you have your health potion.

Can you do that in the demo?

Not that they don't already give you 20 potions...

I don't want to confirm or deny since I haven't tried it but I can't see why not. Just keep in mind that not everything you get from an herb patch will be a green herb, and not every mushroom you pick will be a blue one.

I would advise against eating a parashroom, for instance.

The potionless Qurupeco kill has been attained.

I tracked down a copy of MH1, hopefully it won't ruin my game with CC1 controls.

Got the demo (gave Gamestop five dolahhas [pre-order]).
I know.
I am fellating the devil.
Solid controls, if uninspired.
But I have a gripe! The demo doesn't display the multiplayer aspect enough. I have read some sites claiming lvls 1 - 30 and lvls 31 - 60 have separate quests. Then some sites have been previewing MH saying there are no levels, it's all just about equipment. Does anyone know (I can't complain with free multiplayer), but just how does the MH advancement work in multiplayer?

Was forced into preorder
Got me a Wiispeak and a classic controler.
Ready for MH, just want to understand more of the advancement mechanic.

Larry wrote:
Got the demo (gave Gamestop five dolahhas [pre-order]).
I know.
I am fellating the devil.
Solid controls, if uninspired.
But I have a gripe! The demo doesn't display the multiplayer aspect enough. I have read some sites claiming lvls 1 - 30 and lvls 31 - 60 have separate quests. Then some sites have been previewing MH saying there are no levels, it's all just about equipment. Does anyone know (I can't complain with free multiplayer), but just how does the MH advancement work in multiplayer?

Was forced into preorder
Got me a Wiispeak and a classic controler.
Ready for MH, just want to understand more of the advancement mechanic.

You're as good as your skill as a player and your gear, at least that's how it has been. The way others tell how experienced you are, besides your getup, is your Hunter Rank, but that's just a number, not a stat-based designation or anything.

We'll play some when it comes out, there's 5 or 6 of us here I think.

I'm definitely in.

Blind Evil got it pretty much right, unless they changed something. In the PSP version you had hunter ranks (I think there was 1-6 and then 1-6G?) and each rank would unlock higher difficulty missions. I think that any character could join any mission though you had to have it unlocked in order to host. Also, if you're a rank 1 facing off against the White Fatalis, you're looking at one-hit kills and would be better off hiding in the corner. Just make sure that's cool with the guys who will be doing all the work.

Back when Monster Hunter Freedom 2 came out they were releasing missions in Japan before the US, and even a few special missions with special crafting materials. The US and JP versions were so similar that I could join the Japanese games using XLink Kai. Got me some items that were never released in the US.

Somehow, I'm not sure that'll be in the Wii version.

LobsterMobster wrote:

Somehow, I'm not sure that'll be in the Wii version. :D

Probably not, but Pokemon games let you interact with other territories online.

Then again, the DS is region-free. For cartridges, anyway.

With release looming near us, I'm starting to get pretty darn stoked for this title.

I picked up the demo from Gamestop on Friday. It seems kinda cool. My one gripe is that it looks terrible. It looks like an early PS2 game. My Wii is pretty old, and has never successfully downloaded an update, so maybe that is my problem. Does the demo look passable, or even good, for everyone else?

I have the demo, but I haven't tried it, yet. ELewis, I'll let you know how it looks to me once I've played it.