Monster Hunter 3 (Wii) Catch-All

Wii Speak confirmed.
A new trailer as well, this game is looking sweet.

Larry wrote:

Wii Speak confirmed.
A new trailer as well, this game is looking sweet.

well that's good, I was planning on getting the wiispeak bundled version of endless ocean 2

Blind_Evil wrote:
Larry wrote:

Wii Speak confirmed.
A new trailer as well, this game is looking sweet.

well that's good, I was planning on getting the wiispeak bundled version of endless ocean 2

Me too, EO2 is like $29.00 and the Wii Speak alone is $20.00 . . . sold.

Larry wrote:
Blind_Evil wrote:
Larry wrote:

Wii Speak confirmed.
A new trailer as well, this game is looking sweet.

well that's good, I was planning on getting the wiispeak bundled version of endless ocean 2

Me too, EO2 is like $29.00 and the Wii Speak alone is $20.00 . . . sold.

So... anyone want to go swimming with me? I can show you my dolphin.

LobsterMobster wrote:
Larry wrote:
Blind_Evil wrote:
Larry wrote:

Wii Speak confirmed.
A new trailer as well, this game is looking sweet.

well that's good, I was planning on getting the wiispeak bundled version of endless ocean 2

Me too, EO2 is like $29.00 and the Wii Speak alone is $20.00 . . . sold.

So... anyone want to go swimming with me? I can show you my dolphin. :D

Do we need to bring up what happened last time you started letting flipper get out and meet people?

Larry wrote:
Blind_Evil wrote:
Larry wrote:

Wii Speak confirmed.
A new trailer as well, this game is looking sweet.

well that's good, I was planning on getting the wiispeak bundled version of endless ocean 2

Me too, EO2 is like $29.00 and the Wii Speak alone is $20.00 . . . sold.

I haven't seen a price, but I'd assume it'll be more than the normal retail.

Edit: Actually I just google'd it and lo, the bundle will indeed be $29.99 while supplies last. Suppose I'll get to preordering.

Ulairi wrote:

Do we need to bring up what happened last time you started letting flipper get out and meet people?

Hey, people paid good money for that video!

Free multiplayer in the US, now i'm interested.

Apparently Gamestop/Capcom really want you to preorder this game.

They've knocked 5 bucks off the price on either SKU for preorders, and you get 500 Wii points on top of that. They're also giving out a free demo disc to anyone who asks starting March 8th.

I fell for it and preordered today.

Anyone else play the demo disc that Gamestops are handing out?

The graphics (namely player models) aren't as nice as they looked in trailers, but the vistas are pretty, and the monsters are very well animated.

I'm still wrestling a bit with the camera, which likes to take a low angle when I try to move it up. Maybe inverting the sticks would help there.

I'm going to mull around a bit more, I've completed the one-star mission, died on the three-star mission. It can be a frustrating game, especially because I still kinda have no clue what I'm doing, but the sense of accomplishment when you finish something off is nice. I'm a little bitter they don't include longbows anymore, but the Switch Axe is a pretty cool weapon.

What's the value of this game to a Single Playa like me? It seems to be a primarily cooperative multiplayer experience with the single-player game serving mainly as a hook for the online component.

But I haven't played the other Monster Hunter games, so I don't know much about the franchise.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

What's the value of this game to a Single Playa like me? It seems to be a primarily cooperative multiplayer experience with the single-player game serving mainly as a hook for the online component.

But I haven't played the other Monster Hunter games, so I don't know much about the franchise.

If it's anything like the earlier games, there's a whole lot of single player hunts to keep you busy and get you enough money and materials to make just about anything in the game. There are multiplayer hunts as well, which you can attempt solo (but may very well get eaten). Multiplayer is a lot of fun but can also be frustrating since there's some degree of friendly fire. I don't recall being able to KILL an ally, but you can easily knock them down, which is very very bad for them if they were meleeing the monster a moment ago.

That's assuming they haven't changed it from the PSP games.

Forgot about the demo disc coming so soon. Once I'm in the city again I'll begrudgingly go into Hell to come out with something nice.

Thanks for the info, LobsterMobster. I might have to swing by a GameStop to get the demo. It's available without pre-ordering, right?

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned here, but Amazon is giving away a $10 credit toward future video game purchases for pre-ordering the classic controller pro bundle. As with all Amazon credits, this is given out when the product ships April 20th.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

Thanks for the info, LobsterMobster. I might have to swing by a GameStop to get the demo. It's available without pre-ordering, right?

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned here, but Amazon is giving away a $10 credit toward future video game purchases for pre-ordering the classic controller pro bundle. As with all Amazon credits, this is given out when the product ships April 20th.

Apparently it depends on the mood of the employee you ask. I've seen a lot of people bitchin' on the web that they weren't given a disc, and some saying they were.

I've warmed up over the past day, after playing the demo several times. The hammer and long sword (katana) seem like really powerful weapons to me, but I'm sure I'm missing something and the others have their strong points.

I was able to get a demo disk from game stop with no problems (actually I took 3). I'm a little disappointed that it's just the 2 quests and no tutorial. I'm also sad that I don't get to customize anything. Battles are way to hard on single player, but I think they will be a blast when playing with a friend or people I casually through the internet.....

Blind_Evil wrote:

Anyone else play the demo disc that Gamestops are handing out?

I am going to try to get one tomorrow.

cyrax wrote:

Once I'm in the city again

Yup, same here, got to pick someone up at the airport.

Bill_Lewis wrote:

I was able to get a demo disk from game stop with no problems (actually I took 3). I'm a little disappointed that it's just the 2 quests and no tutorial. I'm also sad that I don't get to customize anything. Battles are way to hard on single player, but I think they will be a blast when playing with a friend or people I casually through the internet.....

I think it's not that solo fighting is that hard, it just requires a certain mastery of the combat system. I can do the one-star mission now without being hit most of the time. The three star one is a bit more of a pain.

Stupid people at gamestop wanted me to pre-order the game to get the demo. If they weren't with other people I would have tried to haggle my way out the door with no pre-order. Oh well, I probably wasn't going to buy the game anyways, now I definitely will not.

mrtomaytohead wrote:

Stupid people at gamestop wanted me to pre-order the game to get the demo. If they weren't with other people I would have tried to haggle my way out the door with no pre-order. Oh well, I probably wasn't going to buy the game anyways, now I definitely will not.

That'll learn 'em.

Blind_Evil wrote:
Bill_Lewis wrote:

I was able to get a demo disk from game stop with no problems (actually I took 3). I'm a little disappointed that it's just the 2 quests and no tutorial. I'm also sad that I don't get to customize anything. Battles are way to hard on single player, but I think they will be a blast when playing with a friend or people I casually through the internet.....

I think it's not that solo fighting is that hard, it just requires a certain mastery of the combat system. I can do the one-star mission now without being hit most of the time. The three star one is a bit more of a pain.

Same here, but only with the long sword and I've gotten pretty good with the light bowgun. I messed the 3 star up pretty good with the hammer but can't beat him yet either.

Yeah, Final Fantasies and whatnot kinds spoil people into thinking taking down a T-Rex is easy. Monster Hunter; Final Fantasy: Operation Flashpoint; Call of Duty...right?

I'm going to play it for the first time this evening but for those of you saying the combat is hard, it's supposed to be. Monster Hunter isn't exactly the game it looks like. Fighting a monster is not the same as an end-level boss fight. You're supposed to be very tactical about it and there will be times when the smartest thing to do will be to withdraw for the moment (which is what monsters will frequently do).

If you find you're getting stomped into the ground frequently, it might have something to do with the fact that you're a squishy little human and you're fighting a great big gigantic dragon-o-saur.

Blind_Evil wrote:

the Switch Axe is a pretty cool weapon.

Definitely, I felt like the one star monster went down a lot faster when using it. It had nothing to do with playing the quest many times, nope. I tried the three star mission once with the great sword. Damn that's one tough, annoying chicken. I just got it to start limping when my time expired.

I've now gone through the first quest with all weapons but the bows. It feels good to have new Monster Hunter content.

I felt like making sure I still knew how to play this (and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by the last bit of FFXIII), so I popped my Wii on to beat on Quropeco again.

He/She summoned a crazy firebreathing spiky wyvern this time. I died hastily.

Anyone know if the gear in the demo is like, not up to snuff at fighting that thing? I felt terribly out of my league.

Blind_Evil wrote:

He/She summoned a crazy firebreathing spiky wyvern this time. I died hastily.

I saw that when I was playing the demo. It looked like a Rathian (large angry female wyvern from earlier games,) but I didn't stick around long enough to confirm. If so I'm pretty sure it wasn't summoned by the Q-whatever-thingy, you just hit some bad luck and it flew into the same area. The cool thing though is if you can bait them into attacking each other you can sneak (re: run like a little girl) away while they fight.

So I was just looking at the IGN info for this and came across

Players also have the option to face Monster Hunter Tri's quests as a single player experience accompanied by Cha-Cha, an AI hunting partner whose tracking and trapping skills will prove invaluable in the hunt.

I hadn't heard anything about having an AI controlled partner along in the single player mode. Anyone know anything about it?

Yeah, it could be that a Rathian just showed up because Rathians happen to live in that area and she didn't get the memo that it was Quropeco Day. Rathians are hard to bring down so if there was a monster that could summon them it'd be pretty nuts.

From what I've heard, Cha-Cha will follow you around and provide different kinds of support. You can equip it with different masks to give it certain effects.

All I know is that Cha-Cha is infinitely better than the stupid little yowling cat person that did the job in the latest PSP game. They're still in Monster Hunter Tri, you just get to beat them senseless instead of offering them employment opportunities.

Here's Cha-Cha doing a little dance, possibly because it loves you.

IMAGE(http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/monsterhunter/images/5/51/MH3-ChaCha.png)

Okay. I guess I didn't play the PSP version enough to get the felyne companion (they were in the PS2 game too, but just as annoying buggers that stole your gear, or blew you up with barrels.) Thanks for the link to the Wiki. I didn't even know it existed.

Did a little digging, and it seems it was a Rathian, and was indeed summoned by Quropeco. Normally Q did a call moving its head up and down, the one that summoned Rathian was a circular motion. Dude on another forum said Q called in a great Jaggi. I'm assuming this is related to what I saw in a preview video saying some new monsters only appear at the beck of others.