Monster Hunter 3 (Wii) Catch-All

Dirt wrote:
Wii only? Lame.

Market Leader = More software.

I'm glad they delayed it. There are too many games in Q1 of next year and I'd rather have a game like this to play over the summer.

Just have to say , I really want to play this, but will not if it is pay per month. Comon' Capcom!, I will buy it, just set up a server off of Nintendo. I have joined the DDO/Guildwars camp, I will buy a game at retail, but I will not pay monthly.

Larry wrote:
Just have to say , I really want to play this, but will not if it is pay per month. Comon' Capcom!, I will buy it, just set up a server off of Nintendo. I have joined the DDO/Guildwars camp, I will buy a game at retail, but I will not pay monthly.

Don't worry about that too much. This is not the first Monster Hunter game to have a subscription fee in Japan but not in the US. In fact, if it does have a subscription fee here it will be the first one.

We will see, most games are going DLC.

Free online play!
NO friend codes!!!
Supporting Wii Speak!

I am getting really excited for this now! With Monster Hunter and Capcom Vs Tatsunoko coming out, looks like Capcom is going to have two of the best games for the Wii the first half of this year.

Where are you getting this from?

Larry wrote:
Free online play!
NO friend codes!!!
Supporting Wii Speak!

Do you have a link supporting this? I did a quick search and I'm not seeing anything.

Sorry, IGN. The story says Free online and Wii Speak, and people in the comments say no friend codes . . . so that's what I'm going by, hopefully the're not wrong.

Okay, yeah, I saw that article, but I didn't skim down far enough to see the Free Online and Wii Speak bit. I wouldn't be against friend codes, per-se, as long as it's implemented properly within the game.
That article kind of rubbed me the wrong way. He had some good points about improvements for partymaking and camera controls, but it sounded like he wanted them to dumb down Monster Hunter. Some of the gameplay stuff he cited as needing improvement was the stuff I really loved about the game. The game doesn't need gamercard support IMO, you tell who is a badass hunter by the gear they're wearing. Lock on would be just silly in that game. The whole thing is about developing the skills to know where to strike and how to time your strikes with the movements of the prey.

If the news regarding free online and no friend codes is true, I will be ecstatic, as that addresses my primary concerns with the game.

Rob_Anybody wrote:
Okay, yeah, I saw that article, but I didn't skim down far enough to see the Free Online and Wii Speak bit. I wouldn't be against friend codes, per-se, as long as it's implemented properly within the game.
That article kind of rubbed me the wrong way. He had some good points about improvements for partymaking and camera controls, but it sounded like he wanted them to dumb down Monster Hunter. Some of the gameplay stuff he cited as needing improvement was the stuff I really loved about the game. The game doesn't need gamercard support IMO, you tell who is a badass hunter by the gear they're wearing. Lock on would be just silly in that game. The whole thing is about developing the skills to know where to strike and how to time your strikes with the movements of the prey.

All valid points, but that stuff is the reason this series hasn't succeeded in the US as of yet. I love the hell out of the Armored Core franchise, but I know there are things that should be done to make the games more successful.

Rob_Anybody wrote:
Lock on would be just silly in that game. The whole thing is about developing the skills to know where to strike and how to time your strikes with the movements of the prey.

A lock-on doesn't take that anyway. Controlling the camera is not pertinent to more fun in MH. If the option was there in the next game you wouldn't use it? If someone were to ask you what you like about MH would you included the camera?

Honestly, the camera was annoying and it does need to improve, but it didn't really diminish the experience that much once I got used to it (I should also say, I only played the PS2 game, don't have a PSP.) What I thought was great was hunting down a big wyvern and knowing, "Okay, if I can distract him long enough for my buddy to hit him with stun rounds, then I can run in and hit the soft spot, right... there! Okay, he's stumbling and he's lost his head spikes. Quick someone cut that freaking tail off! Oh crap he's rearing up for a huge attack! POINK! Hah! Got him!"
I realize I'm probably in the minority, but I enjoy the challenge of figuring out where to hit the bugger to do most damage. If there is an automatic lock on, to me that's basically guiding the shot to where it needs to go. I don't even like FPS games that auto target your gun.

Rob_Anybody wrote:
Honestly, the camera was annoying and it does need to improve, but it didn't really diminish the experience that much once I got used to it (I should also say, I only played the PS2 game, don't have a PSP.) What I thought was great was hunting down a big wyvern and knowing, "Okay, if I can distract him long enough for my buddy to hit him with stun rounds, then I can run in and hit the soft spot, right... there! Okay, he's stumbling and he's lost his head spikes. Quick someone cut that freaking tail off! Oh crap he's rearing up for a huge attack! POINK! Hah! Got him!"
I realize I'm probably in the minority, but I enjoy the challenge of figuring out where to hit the bugger to do most damage. If there is an automatic lock on, to me that's basically guiding the shot to where it needs to go. I don't even like FPS games that auto target your gun.

Actually that sounds awesome. Unfortunately in my time with the game I didn't even realize that was a possibility, which still says things about the game's accessibility issues.

I'm pretty sure the in-game instruction would say certain parts were harder to penetrate, but it was mostly trial and error when I was playing. I realized fairly quickly that striking certain parts my weapon would bounce off and other parts would cut, others would cut and make a nice *skulch* noise. Then when I was playing with a friend he noticed if he shot a stun round right into the wyverns' open mouth it would stun in 1 shot. Chopping the tail off was fairly obviously locational, you could wail on the head all day and kill the thing without taking the tail. I never did it, but I heard tell that there was a very small spot on the kut-ku's that you could one shot kill it with the Babel Spear (which was my favorite.) The harder parts of the carapace would also dull your weapon quicker, which was a cool touch.

And you could blast open vulnerable spots, like Gravios's underbelly.

My favorite part was how the thing would always barrel forward when you cut its tail off. It seemed so surprised. And that tail... it looked kind of tasty, y'know? Cut off a dragon tail steak. Om nom nom nom.

I saw the thread and thought it said "Monster Rancher". Since I haven't played many console games in years I've never played the Monster Hunter series.

I was really hoping to get to put CDs in my Wii and generate monsters.

I think this game comes closest to Demon's Souls in terms of fighting. I can't wait.

Regarding the part about certain spots being weaker, I'm pretty sure I would remember that if they'd mentioned it. I have only played the second PSP game, and it seemed like the devs were expecting me to know a lot of things ahead of time.

Don't get me wrong, I am very intrigued by this game. I fully intend to purchase it on day one as long as the online stuff is done proper, and would appreciate some schooling... I don't have a wii speak, though. Wonder how much they run...

I do not have Wii Speak either, but will get it for this! Now there is a gadget that needs some love . . . I think only Animal Crossing, and The Conduit ever used it.

Dirt wrote:
I think this game comes closest to Demon's Souls in terms of fighting. I can't wait.

Except in Demon's Souls you can't trap a giant monkey in a huge pit, then plant a ton of bombs around him and blow his exposed ass into tiny pieces.

Blind_Evil wrote:
Regarding the part about certain spots being weaker, I'm pretty sure I would remember that if they'd mentioned it. I have only played the second PSP game, and it seemed like the devs were expecting me to know a lot of things ahead of time.

Don't get me wrong, I am very intrigued by this game. I fully intend to purchase it on day one as long as the online stuff is done proper, and would appreciate some schooling... I don't have a wii speak, though. Wonder how much they run...

I've only played the second PSP game as well and its tutorial was a bit limited (though well written). It taught you how to use each weapon, how to keep from starving/freezing/overheating, and I think a little about status effects. It may have briefly touched upon weapon effectiveness versus different monster/skin types but I think they wanted you to figure that stuff out for yourself.

I've never played a Monster Hunter game. Would I be able to just jump into 3 or should I play 1&2 first?

They're all self-contained, you can jump right on in with 3. My first one (and only so far) was 2 on the PSP, and I love it.


Interesting. I was really looking forward to seeing what they did with the motion controls. This almost tells me the controls are borked and you need the classic controller to play the game. I hope my feeling is wrong.
Bill_Lewis wrote:
I've never played a Monster Hunter game. Would I be able to just jump into 3 or should I play 1&2 first?

There's no storyline to speak of, so if you're worried about missing out on plot development, don't worry. If you can find a used copy on PS2 or PSP, I'd try it out there before getting the new one(assuming you have either of those systems.) The series is a blast, but it's not for everyone.

I think $10 is worth a more comfortable camera control, being one of the most important parts of the game.

Oh, I'll probably end up getting the controller bundle. The controller is going to be $20 on it's own, so getting it with the game will be a good deal.

I've never bothered to buy the classic controller because most games that use it also use the Game Cube contollers and the Wave Bird controller is much better then the classic contoller.

Rob_Anybody wrote:
There's no storyline to speak of, so if you're worried about missing out on plot development, don't worry. If you can find a used copy on PS2 or PSP, I'd try it out there before getting the new one(assuming you have either of those systems.) The series is a blast, but it's not for everyone.

I do not own a PS2 or PSP or even a PS3, but I have always wanted to play these games. But I haven't decided if I'm going to get MH3 or Final Fantasy Crystal Bearers for my next game.

Bill_Lewis wrote:
I've never bothered to buy the classic controller because most games that use it also use the Game Cube contollers and the Wave Bird controller is much better then the classic contoller.

A majority? Possibly. There have been a few games I was interested in but since they didn't support Gamecube controllers I disregarded them.

cyrax wrote:
Bill_Lewis wrote:
I've never bothered to buy the classic controller because most games that use it also use the Game Cube contollers and the Wave Bird controller is much better then the classic contoller.

A majority? Possibly. There have been a few games I was interested in but since they didn't support Gamecube controllers I disregarded them.

Ok, you got me. I guess I can't honestly say "most games". But so far I have not had a game where the classic controller would have enhanced my game play. Actually, Smash Bros. Brawl is the only game where I haven't used my wii remote + nunchuk.