Diablo III Catch-All

Still thinking 2013.

This game has to come out in May. I start my internship on June 8th, and will probably be unable to game for about a year. I have spoken.

Make it so.

That is the weirdest damn fiscal year ever; generally they run November-October.

AnimeJ wrote:

That is the weirdest damn fiscal year ever

It's only one month off from the actual calendar. I fail to see anything weird.

If a company's fiscal year started in August for example, then that would be weird IMO.

What is that ability in the video? Can you beta people do that as a monk?

MeatMan wrote:
AnimeJ wrote:

That is the weirdest damn fiscal year ever

It's only one month off from the actual calendar. I fail to see anything weird.

If a company's fiscal year started in August for example, then that would be weird IMO.

That's funny, because the company I work for starts FY in August. It is weird.

Aries wrote:
MeatMan wrote:
AnimeJ wrote:

That is the weirdest damn fiscal year ever

It's only one month off from the actual calendar. I fail to see anything weird.

If a company's fiscal year started in August for example, then that would be weird IMO.

That's funny, because the company I work for starts FY in August. It is weird.

My end of the year review is in June.

just to confirm suspicions i guess

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/yep-di...

MeatMan wrote:
AnimeJ wrote:

That is the weirdest damn fiscal year ever

It's only one month off from the actual calendar. I fail to see anything weird.

If a company's fiscal year started in August for example, then that would be weird IMO.

That's the Gov't fiscal year, corporations can call a fiscal year whatever they please. Activision-Blizzard runs calender year for their SEC reporting, most recent year ending December 31, 2010 (their latest report should be out in a few weeks).

I've nearly died a few times. There are those fast hopping monsters with blue names that have the teleport special that can hurt you bad. The same teleport ability on the swarming bats can cause serious issues if backed into a dead end.

I am not saying the beta isn't very easy. It is... especially solo. Grouping ups the difficulty markedly with each additional player. It is not to a dangerous point but certainly to a much more entertaining level.

"More details in coming weeks". Release date announcement at GDC?

Release date announcement at GDC?

If they do, it is certainly not coming out in March.

I can't believe they would give any less than 3 months lead time from release date announcement to release. So Diablo 3 isn't getting any closer than a perpetual 3 months out until they announce the release date.

fangblackbone wrote:
Release date announcement at GDC?

If they do, it is certainly not coming out in March.

Conversely, here's a sick thought: Diablo 3 iPad port, announced at rumored Apple iPad event in March.

I wouldn't mind seeing that and I would love to see a Wii port. I think that is a huge market (RTS, ARPG) that is completely and idiotically untapped by Nintendo.

Grenn wrote:

What is that ability in the video? Can you beta people do that as a monk?

I believe that the one you're talking about is Seven Sided Strike, which the monk doesn't get until level 24. (Well past the level 13 limit of the current beta.) That would be the one that zooms around punching a bunch of things. The monk also appears to be using Way of the Hundred Fists (level 21) as a spirit builder, which hits super fast.

It looks like he's zooming forward whilst spinning his staff.

I think they goofed in making Leap Attack a fury builder and on a 12 second cooldown. As a matter of fact I think all of the skills on 12 second cooldowns are hurting the Barbarian's gameplay. The Barb is a lot of fun but it does get a bit of repetative mash, mash, mash with cleave and a sprinkling of Leap Attack here and there. A 4 second cooldown would help quite a bit yet still prevent it from making the Barbarian nearly untouchable by spamming leaps everywhere.

The Monk falls into this category as well were I really don't see much need to use the early spirit spender attacks.

I got my witch doctor up to level 11 and I love the fire bomb skill. I really thought it looked too slow and too narrow an aoe to be effective but in practice it is a lot of fun.

Has anyone found any blacksmithing pages? I have upgraded my blacksmith enough to the point I need 5 pages to upgrade him further.

It looks like he's zooming forward whilst spinning his staff.

From the skill description that is undoubtedly Tempest Rush.

shoptroll wrote:

"More details in coming weeks". Release date announcement at GDC?

Supposedly there's a Mists of Pandaria event coming sometime in the next month. Maybe they will have some Diablo III details there as well.

Hmmmm. Having fun with the game in general (monk here!), but I am definitely concerned about the always-on component where I wasn't before. I was playing this afternoon while downloading a patch for Rift, and what I'm assuming was the low amount of remaining bandwidth was leading to some pretty significant rubber banding while playing.

I know this is beta and all that, but I hope they come up with some decent predictive algorithms to smooth some of this out. Was not an enjoyable experience.

necroyeti wrote:

Hmmmm. Having fun with the game in general (monk here!), but I am definitely concerned about the always-on component where I wasn't before. I was playing this afternoon while downloading a patch for Rift, and what I'm assuming was the low amount of remaining bandwidth was leading to some pretty significant rubber banding while playing.

I know this is beta and all that, but I hope they come up with some decent predictive algorithms to smooth some of this out. Was not an enjoyable experience.

Sorry but this is funny... want designers to design a game around your low bandwidth problems?

koshnika wrote:

Currently in D2, any time I want to "build" a new character I just create an alt, and run Baal over and over till I hit "enough skill points"
It only takes about 3 hours of game play to get a lvl 50+ character. Its not that big of a problem, it just means that I have to have a stable of Alts to play with all the builds available.

Seriously? You can get from 1-50 in three hours? How do you manage that again?

ranalin wrote:
necroyeti wrote:

Hmmmm. Having fun with the game in general (monk here!), but I am definitely concerned about the always-on component where I wasn't before. I was playing this afternoon while downloading a patch for Rift, and what I'm assuming was the low amount of remaining bandwidth was leading to some pretty significant rubber banding while playing.

I know this is beta and all that, but I hope they come up with some decent predictive algorithms to smooth some of this out. Was not an enjoyable experience.

Sorry but this is funny... want designers to design a game around your low bandwidth problems?

Is it unreasonable for a single player game installed on your hard drive to not need constant bandwidth?

LeapingGnome wrote:
ranalin wrote:
necroyeti wrote:

Hmmmm. Having fun with the game in general (monk here!), but I am definitely concerned about the always-on component where I wasn't before. I was playing this afternoon while downloading a patch for Rift, and what I'm assuming was the low amount of remaining bandwidth was leading to some pretty significant rubber banding while playing.

I know this is beta and all that, but I hope they come up with some decent predictive algorithms to smooth some of this out. Was not an enjoyable experience.

Sorry but this is funny... want designers to design a game around your low bandwidth problems?

Is it unreasonable for a single player game installed on your hard drive to not need constant bandwidth?

I thought it was already established that this is going to require an internet connection. Has this changed?

The fact that it was "established" is beside the point. The real point is that publishers shouldn't require a constant (high speed?) connection to the internet just to play a single-player game (or the SP component of a game) that you've installed on your PC.

MeatMan wrote:

The fact that it was "established" is beside the point. The real point is that publishers shouldn't require a constant (high speed?) connection to the internet just to play a single-player game (or the SP component of a game) that you've installed on your PC.

Blizzard says otherwise. i know a couple of folks that wont buy it due to that, but it'll sell like gangbusters regardless.

Apparently they've already got 1m guaranteed 'sales' owing to the WoW annual pass. (Do those count as sales?) In fact, that's probably a wise way to target the game at people (MMO players) for whom a steady connection probably isn't an issue.

Should or shouldn't is beside the point at this stage. I don't think they can overhaul the code now, so the chief decision is, will you buy it or not? I'll wait for reviews, but it seems like I won't be getting since I'm expecting game killing server issues.

LeapingGnome wrote:
ranalin wrote:
necroyeti wrote:

Hmmmm. Having fun with the game in general (monk here!), but I am definitely concerned about the always-on component where I wasn't before. I was playing this afternoon while downloading a patch for Rift, and what I'm assuming was the low amount of remaining bandwidth was leading to some pretty significant rubber banding while playing.

I know this is beta and all that, but I hope they come up with some decent predictive algorithms to smooth some of this out. Was not an enjoyable experience.

Sorry but this is funny... want designers to design a game around your low bandwidth problems?

Is it unreasonable for a single player game installed on your hard drive to not need constant bandwidth?

Given that Blizzard is pitching this as multiplayer with the ability to play it alone, I'd say that it's not possible for it to require bandwidth.

Why are you guys dredging up this old, overly-beaten argument? Necroyeti simply made the comment that while he wasn't worried about the always-connected mechanic before, he's concerned it might cause issues for him based on his recent experience. Lets put the torches away, gents.

Is it the right time in the cycle to bring up TL2?