Diablo III Catch-All

YAY, beta invite! Been waiting a while to give this a shot.

BOO, not letting me use "MyBrainHz" as my Battle Tag because it is some how offensive! "Brainz" is apparently OK though? Grrrrrrr...

Oh snap! Me too!

Yay for beta invite for me too! And one day after my birthday! Just downloading now, will report back when everything is running.

I guess my Battle Tag is Cymbrogi #1384 , which seems somewhat strange as I doubt there are 1383 "Cymbrogi"s out there ahead of me. Oh well. Donwloading as we speak.

Coldstream #1968 for the friending of ups.

Download is going significantly faster now I opened up the appropriate ports.

Brainz#1617, good sirs.

Scratched wrote:
ZaneRockfist wrote:

The game sounds hopelessly generic to me. If Blizzard wants my business again, they need to start making innovations instead of refining old features and techniques that have long grown stale.

That's close to where I am. I'm not heavily invested in Diablo than any other ARPG, so from my perspective I don't know the answer to why I should pick up D3 (for around £35 plus other restrictions) versus other alternatives (old and new) that are going to be cheaper. I don't know what the 'killer features' are that make it rise above, other than "it's a Blizzard game" or building on the earlier games reputation.

to me it's feeling and Diablo 3 feels better in the beta than pretty much any ARPG released in the last 10 years, way better than Titan Quest feels better than Torchlight as long as the it keeps the same feeling in retail, I probably will be playing it for a long time to come.

I don't think any ARPG comes close though TL2 should be great.

And I shall now declare what little Diablo III I've managed to play as awesome. Really captures the feeling of the old Diablo games, although perhaps to a fault in some cases. More impressions as I get time to play.

Just got a beta invite in my email this morning as well.

Beta Invite came last night, screwed myself for work today by staying up til 3am last night playing it. Do friends lists and such work? I can't remember the #xxx after my name and you cant get it from battle.net.

Edit.
Nvm I found it. If friend stuff is working feel free to add me: Rint#1452

I don't really hate you all, but I hate you all.

Grenn wrote:

I don't really hate you all, but I hate you all.

QFT

Luggage wrote:
Grenn wrote:

I don't really hate you all, but I hate you all.

QFT

I hate me too, 3am and I'm paying for it today.

Grenn wrote:

I don't really hate you all, but I hate you all.

My thoughts exactly. You lucky bastards

I got an invite last night as well, much to my surprise. I'm glad I will have a chance to try this out given all the controversies.

I've been toying with the idea in recent months of ActiBlizzard preferring non-customers over fans for beta access in recent years. Up until and including WOW:TBC, I always got a beta account (and actually beta tested with bug reports, feedback and stuff like that taken seriously). But ever since then, not a single one. I have payed years of WOW subscriptions of up to 3 accounts, clocked thousands of hours in WoW and hundreds in the RTS games. Most people I know that have similar user stats when it comes to Blizzard games have not received beta access since WOW:TBC as well. Of the people I do know that received beta accounts, all of them were casual, "on and off" WoW subscribers with next to no involvement in older Blizzard titles. I have the feeling they are too sure of their long-time fans and using beta access to lure in new blood, on the fence players and "swing voters". Having a fully loaded BNet account means bottom of the list for beta testing.

I am even considering registering a new BNet account with just a Diablo 2 key attached to it just to test my hypothesis.

Luggage wrote:

I've been toying with the idea in recent months of ActiBlizzard preferring non-customers over fans for beta access in recent years. Up until and including WOW:TBC, I always got a beta account (and actually beta tested with bug reports, feedback and stuff like that taken seriously). But ever since then, not a single one. I have payed years of WOW subscriptions of up to 3 accounts, clocked thousands of hours in WoW and hundreds in the RTS games. Most people I know that have similar user stats when it comes to Blizzard games have not received beta access since WOW:TBC as well. Of the people I do know that received beta accounts, all of them were casual, "on and off" WoW subscribers with next to no involvement in older Blizzard titles. I have the feeling they are too sure of their long-time fans and using beta access to lure in new blood, on the fence players and "swing voters". Having a fully loaded BNet account means bottom of the list for beta testing.

I am even considering registering a new BNet account with just a Diablo 2 key attached to it just to test my hypothesis.

I have gotten Beta invites (and even a few alphas) to almost everything, some sooner than others. I honestly don't know what their prioritizing is, I haven't had a WoW account in over a year, and haven't logged in to SC2 in almost as long, so maybe that triggered it.

Luggage wrote:

I've been toying with the idea in recent months of ActiBlizzard preferring non-customers over fans for beta access in recent years. Up until and including WOW:TBC, I always got a beta account (and actually beta tested with bug reports, feedback and stuff like that taken seriously). But ever since then, not a single one. I have payed years of WOW subscriptions of up to 3 accounts, clocked thousands of hours in WoW and hundreds in the RTS games. Most people I know that have similar user stats when it comes to Blizzard games have not received beta access since WOW:TBC as well. Of the people I do know that received beta accounts, all of them were casual, "on and off" WoW subscribers with next to no involvement in older Blizzard titles. I have the feeling they are too sure of their long-time fans and using beta access to lure in new blood, on the fence players and "swing voters". Having a fully loaded BNet account means bottom of the list for beta testing.

I am even considering registering a new BNet account with just a Diablo 2 key attached to it just to test my hypothesis.

I agree and in the same boat, but the biggest difference for me after WoW:TBC is taht i've had a very current PC. Up to to TBC my computer was almost always a generation behind. If i was lucky maybe a current gpu. So thats what i attributed the lack of invites to.

Not sure what their prioritization is, but I'm patient and can wait until release. I know I've had Diablo III beta interest flagged on my account since it was available, but I've got my Starcraft, D2 and War3 keys hooked to my account so... *shrug* I just know I've tried to get into every beta except WoW and Diablo II and no dice each time. It's like trying to win the lottery!

Luggage wrote:

Having a fully loaded BNet account means bottom of the list for beta testing.

I was a Warcraft III (base + expansion) beta tester, and a very early World of Warcraft beta tester. Like Luggage, I sent in a lot of bug reports and actually tried to provide helpful feedback, etc.

Yesterday was the first beta invite I've received from Blizzard themselves since the 2003/2004 timeframe (Tkyl sent me an invite to the Starcraft II beta a while ago). I don't think they are discriminating for or against people to include, I just think there are LOTS more people in line for Blizzard beta invites than there used to be.

Well I still got one, but my PC is also pretty stacked so who knows, I wont play too too much because I don't want to ruin it all and have to start over. I assume characters won't transfer over.

For a data point on the beta prioritization favoring non-customers:

I had a WoW account for a little while back before the 3rd expansion (and I didn't even get Burning Crusade). That's the only account that is attached to my Battle.net account. I never got into Starcraft, but did own both Diablos and all their expansions, plus a couple of the Warcraft RTS games that predate WoW. So, I'm one of those "non-customers" that is on the fence about Diablo III and this may very well be a reason I got an invite.

Had to resist playing this morning - rolled up a Demon Hunter but that is as far as I'd let myself go, otherwise I wouldn't be at work right now.

Count me in the bitter pile...

Of course my ancient laptop may not even be able to run this bad boy.

Got a beta invite to this and DOTA 2 yesterday. Much preferred my game in this last night.

Haha I'd almost rather have a DoTA 2 invite, but hey now I'm just being greedy

kazar wrote:

Re: 10 years of development. What I have read is that Blizzard North was developing Diablo 3, and then Blizzard axed that whole site. I think D3 died with it and was only resurrected a few years later. So it might not have 10 years of actual development.

You would be correct. It has been through three reboots that I know about, plus two very different takes that never made it very far (read: changing it to a game about pirates, and one ill-fated sci-fi attempt if I remember correctly). The first time I saw anything from it was 2004/2005, so I can only comment about it going back that far. They had a really hard time changing their pipeline to go from 2d to 3d.

: (

I think people who placed preorders should get a shot at the beta.

I just checked my Amazon account:

Order Placed: August 16, 2010

On the bright side, I was in the Diablo II Beta.

I'm a sucker and the collectors is going to be pre-ordered as soon as its up. My bookcase will be full of Blizzard special editions.

Happytime Harry wrote:

I'm a sucker and the collectors is going to be pre-ordered as soon as its up. My bookcase will be full of Blizzard special editions.

Oh, I preordered that in November from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050SZC5U/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

I still have my Diablo II D&D game.

PRG013 wrote:

I think people who placed preorders should get a shot at the beta.

They did that fairly late in the Starcraft II beta. So, patience?

PRG013 wrote:

I still have my Diablo II D&D game.

I didn't know that existed until I saw it in the local boardgame store mixed in with the GURPS books they have.

PRG013 wrote:
Happytime Harry wrote:

I'm a sucker and the collectors is going to be pre-ordered as soon as its up. My bookcase will be full of Blizzard special editions.

Oh, I preordered that in November from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050SZC5U/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

I still have my Diablo II D&D game.

Ya, there is no order, only a sign up now