Diablo III Catch-All

Pikey26 wrote:
LobsterMobster wrote:
Y'know Pikey, if you like loot games I heard of one that's pretty easy to get these days. Made by one of the greatest minds of game design, who brought us the excellent Eternal Darkness.

IMAGE(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/78/Too_Human.jpg)

Now you're just being MEAN! D:<

What if I didn't know better? Huh? CRUEL SOUL YOU ARE!

If you didn't know better then you might enjoy it. I'm still sad that we'll almost certainly never see the sequel.

Pikey26 wrote:
LobsterMobster wrote:
Y'know Pikey, if you like loot games I heard of one that's pretty easy to get these days. Made by one of the greatest minds of game design, who brought us the excellent Eternal Darkness.

IMAGE(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/78/Too_Human.jpg)

Now you're just being MEAN! D:<

What if I didn't know better? Huh? CRUEL SOUL YOU ARE!

Actually Too Human is probably the game i enjoyed the most that was like Diablo. All the other games of that type would just remind me or get me wanting to play Diablo instead.

How can you not love a game in which you play a cybernetic Norse god who fights by using himself as a pinball?

Hypatian wrote:
How can you not love a game in which you play a cybernetic Norse god who fights by using himself as a pinball?

Unskippable cutscenes.

ranalin wrote:
Pikey26 wrote:
LobsterMobster wrote:
Y'know Pikey, if you like loot games I heard of one that's pretty easy to get these days. Made by one of the greatest minds of game design, who brought us the excellent Eternal Darkness.

IMAGE(http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/20/LOL_Face.jpg)

Now you're just being MEAN! D:<

What if I didn't know better? Huh? CRUEL SOUL YOU ARE!

Actually Too Human is probably the game i enjoyed the most that was like Diablo. All the other games of that type would just remind me or get me wanting to play Diablo instead.

Be that as it may, I want to make it perfectly clear that my intention was to be mean to Pikey.

Chump wrote:
Wink_and_the_Gun wrote:
Anyone else playing on an "older" PC (2.66GHz, nVidia 88000GTS, 3G RAM) had the death-inducing lag-spikes (in solo-play) during the open beta? I'm trying to figure out if it was "Server Load vs PC Weakness".

I've encountered this before the weekend beta and it's possibly due to the bittorrent client that runs in the background that blizzard uses

I'm on a 2.66GHz nvidia 8800GT 2gb ram and running it at everything on high with no lag issues.

edit: bleh, bad sentence.

I was getting the feeling that might have been the case, as it was pretty bad on my 1st playthrough, but not as bad later. I didn't even get around to trying out the Spider Jar after I shelved it for been a lag-inducing horror.

Re: the discussion of what to play while waiting for Diablo III, I just fired up some Binding of Isaac last night. It's kind of got the character-improvement-through-loot thing going on, and I don't want to get too rusty before the expansion releases next month

Tamren wrote:
Hypatian wrote:
How can you not love a game in which you play a cybernetic Norse god who fights by using himself as a pinball?

Unskippable cutscenes.

You mean the valkyries? Yeah. That part was a bit balls.

But it still doesn't explain the intense hatred so many people seem to feel for the game.

Huh. I figured they'd do another open beta this weekend. Guess not!

Hypatian wrote:
Tamren wrote:
Hypatian wrote:
How can you not love a game in which you play a cybernetic Norse god who fights by using himself as a pinball?

Unskippable cutscenes.

You mean the valkyries? Yeah. That part was a bit balls.

But it still doesn't explain the intense hatred so many people seem to feel for the game. :(

I don't have intense hatred, but I didn't really like the game. However, I'll freely admit that my own high expectations are mostly to blame. I LOVED Eternal Darkness and from the outside looking in it looked liked Microsoft was flooding the studio with $$$ to make this a true "tentpole" franchise for the 360 to go along with Halo & Gears. Going in with much lower expectations, I imagine the game would have been much less of a disappointment to me.

EDIT: and to keep my post on topic, I'll reiterate that my wallet is WIDE open for Blizzard if they port this to a platform I have. Ask the Poles, my copy of Witcher 2 is on the way from Amazon right now.

I just spent way too much time reading D3 threads from around the Internet (mostly filled with "OMG, sky is falling" and "Actiblizz is teh evil!") for sh*ts and giggles.

*popcorn*

LobsterMobster wrote:

Be that as it may, I want to make it perfectly clear that my intention was to be mean to Pikey. ;)

A certain someone is waking up with a severed Lobster head in bed tomorrow morning. D:<

Jasonofindy wrote:
Hypatian wrote:
Tamren wrote:
Hypatian wrote:
How can you not love a game in which you play a cybernetic Norse god who fights by using himself as a pinball?

Unskippable cutscenes.

You mean the valkyries? Yeah. That part was a bit balls.

But it still doesn't explain the intense hatred so many people seem to feel for the game. :(

I don't have intense hatred, but I didn't really like the game. However, I'll freely admit that my own high expectations are mostly to blame. I LOVED Eternal Darkness and from the outside looking in it looked liked Microsoft was flooding the studio with $$$ to make this a true "tentpole" franchise for the 360 to go along with Halo & Gears. Going in with much lower expectations, I imagine the game would have been much less of a disappointment to me.

EDIT: and to keep my post on topic, I'll reiterate that my wallet is WIDE open for Blizzard if they port this to a platform I have. Ask the Poles, my copy of Witcher 2 is on the way from Amazon right now.

Aw man, you dont have a "Blizzard-ready" PC? Yer missing out! Also, it wouldn't be anything like trying to get a PC for those European games (Witcher, Stalker = bull-whip for 'normal' gaming rigs).

Maybe this has already been mentioned somewhere in 133 pages, just in case - for those of you who want a darker/grittier looking diablo try playing around with http://darkd3.com/

krev82 wrote:
Maybe this has already been mentioned somewhere in 133 pages, just in case - for those of you who want a darker/grittier looking diablo try playing around with http://darkd3.com/

That's pretty cool, and I like the "normal" and "stronger" settings the most, even more than standard; mostly because I prefer higher tone contrasts. "Hardcore" is too washed out and dull for my tastes.

krev82 wrote:
Maybe this has already been mentioned somewhere in 133 pages, just in case - for those of you who want a darker/grittier looking diablo try playing around with http://darkd3.com/

I don't know about 'darker' 'grittier' but I like that thing that makes it seem sharper and less muddied up. Didn't really dig the whole 'like a painting' look personally.

Yeah not the best wording on my part, pesky lack of artistic vocabulary. Looks like this tool should work fine with release too, and judging from the readme and Blizzard's tou should be perfectly safe. Also is it safe to assume that a graphics dll probably doesn't have any sort of password grabber imbedded? Not up on the current malware situation.

I don't care what it does, there's no way I'm running something in the background of a Blizzard game. It's just too popular a target.

Ultimately it's up to you who you trust, and having an authenticator can make a difference (they're nearly impossible to reverse-engineer). I trust no one.

BadKen wrote:
I don't care what it does, there's no way I'm running something in the background of a Blizzard game. It's just too popular a target.

Ultimately it's up to you who you trust, and having an authenticator can make a difference (they're nearly impossible to reverse-engineer). I trust no one.

As much as I like the stronger level effects, I have to agree with BadKen's assessment on this one. I'm gonna have to pass.

krev82 wrote:
Also is it safe to assume that a graphics dll probably doesn't have any sort of password grabber imbedded?
Nope.

Interesting, I got a queue when I logged in tonight. I wonder if they are putting the finishing touches on battle.net for the launch.

Are the graphics still that big an issue for some people? I was alright with how things looked in the beta. Though I never had any strong feelings about the graphics one way or another. I could be wrong, but these seem like the sort of graphic tweaks you can do with your monitor. Just change the colors and saturation etc. and voila.

Nimcosi wrote:
Interesting, I got a queue when I logged in tonight. I wonder if they are putting the finishing touches on battle.net for the launch.

Yeah, I can't wait to log back in either. I actually kept the client on my computer until a couple days ago. Before then, I did occasional log ins to see if I could get "lucky."

Man, people want this game darker and grittier? It's already grimdark to the point of silliness.

It's a cherry on top level issue. If I can change it I would, but it's near negligible importance.

Thirteenth wrote:

Yeah, I can't wait to log back in either. I actually kept the client on my computer until a couple days ago. Before then, I did occasional log ins to see if I could get "lucky."

I probably should of been a bit clearer. I had a login queue, and then I actually played the beta. The open beta may be closed, but I think they are still running the closed beta. Anyway, the fact that I had a queue was interesting.

Nimcosi wrote:
Thirteenth wrote:

Yeah, I can't wait to log back in either. I actually kept the client on my computer until a couple days ago. Before then, I did occasional log ins to see if I could get "lucky."

I probably should of been a bit clearer. I had a login queue, and then I actually played the beta. The open beta may be closed, but I think they are still running the closed beta. Anyway, the fact that I had a queue was interesting.

Oh, just me then? Cool, cool...

That auction house mechanism will probably be a cesspool for disputes. Imagine you purchased a super rare item for 20 bucks, only to find out second day that Blizzard's new patch would change the item's stats or drops rate in such a way that dropped the item's value to 10. I would be pissed. Blizzard not only sanctions the trade, it is in direct control of the items' values. I don't see how it can escape suspicion of playing its own market. There might even be genuine problems of insider trading. Isn't this fun?

Nimcosi wrote:
Thirteenth wrote:

Yeah, I can't wait to log back in either. I actually kept the client on my computer until a couple days ago. Before then, I did occasional log ins to see if I could get "lucky."

I probably should of been a bit clearer. I had a login queue, and then I actually played the beta. The open beta may be closed, but I think they are still running the closed beta. Anyway, the fact that I had a queue was interesting.

I got in as part of the closed beta, and just played a bit more, so they must still be allowing closed beta folks test/play. Got a 1 sec queue, so they prolly firming up their backend server stability.

Thirteenth wrote:
Nimcosi wrote:
Thirteenth wrote:

Yeah, I can't wait to log back in either. I actually kept the client on my computer until a couple days ago. Before then, I did occasional log ins to see if I could get "lucky."

I probably should of been a bit clearer. I had a login queue, and then I actually played the beta. The open beta may be closed, but I think they are still running the closed beta. Anyway, the fact that I had a queue was interesting.

Oh, just me then? Cool, cool...

That auction house mechanism will probably be a cesspool for disputes. Imagine you purchased a super rare item for 20 bucks, only to find out second day that Blizzard's new patch would change the item's stats or drops rate in such a way that dropped the item's value to 10. I would be pissed. Blizzard not only sanctions the trade, it is in direct control of the items' values. I don't see how it can escape suspicion of playing its own market. There might even be genuine problems of insider trading. Isn't this fun?

Doubtful this will cause much if anything more or less grief than it does now when they alter stats of items in all these types of games.

TheGameguru wrote:
Thirteenth wrote:
That auction house mechanism will probably be a cesspool for disputes. Imagine you purchased a super rare item for 20 bucks, only to find out second day that Blizzard's new patch would change the item's stats or drops rate in such a way that dropped the item's value to 10. I would be pissed. Blizzard not only sanctions the trade, it is in direct control of the items' values. I don't see how it can escape suspicion of playing its own market. There might even be genuine problems of insider trading. Isn't this fun?

Doubtful this will cause much if anything more or less grief than it does now when they alter stats of items in all these types of games.


And since it is primary co-op vs. competitive the only folks affected are people playing the rmt market. You can avoid it and be completely immune to such drama.

TheGameguru wrote:
Doubtful this will cause much if anything more or less grief than it does now when they alter stats of items in all these types of games.

A few things make this different, though. The fact that real money is at stake, that trade is openly endorsed and facilitated by Blizzard, and that item values are under Blizzard's direct control make this a different situation than, say, WoW. Because even though monetary transactions happened around WoW's items and characters, those trades didn't receive any endorsement from Blizzard. If anything went wrong, Blizzard was free of any legal responsibilities, and the grief that followed change in item values can be easily shoved under the rug - the players knew that their actions breached the contract, were aware of the risks etc. Now that Blizzard takes on an active role in item trades, it seems the disadvantaged players have more of a claim against Blizzard.