Doctor Who *Spoilers Abound! We've lost Containment*

I've started a binge watch of David Tennant's run and man does 2005 - 2006 look like it happened an eon ago.

Yeah, I started rewatching a few weeks ago starting from Eccleston; I'm currently midway through Smith's tenure. I'm hoping to finally break through into Capaldi's era and beyond, though my expectations are tempered.

Can I just say, at least through the Tennant and Smith years, that there is no show out there that does season-long story arcs as well as in Dr. Who. Just tiny little dribs all scattered throughout the season, with barely a nod within the episode, finally culminating in an absolutely monumental reveal.

That final was utter fanwank. Badly written fanwank. I'm embarrassed on Chibnalls behalf.

merphle wrote:

I'm hoping to finally break through into Capaldi's era and beyond, though my expectations are tempered.

Capaldi's a slow burn but by the end of his 3rd season he secured a place at the top of the Doctor pantheon for me.

Prozac wrote:
merphle wrote:

I'm hoping to finally break through into Capaldi's era and beyond, though my expectations are tempered.

Capaldi's a slow burn but by the end of his 3rd season he secured a place at the top of the Doctor pantheon for me.

A lot of his stories were underwhelming, but I'd defend him as the best actor ever to take on the role.

Capaldi is my favorite Doctor, bar none. He got a lot of sh*t shoveled at him in terms of stories but he's so good he made them at least watchable.

He sure does a great speech.

strangederby wrote:

That final was utter fanwank. Badly written fanwank. I'm embarrassed on Chibnalls behalf.

I cannot disagree with your assessment. However, it did encourage me to:

a) complete my DVD collection of David Tennant's stint as The Doctor, and;
b) buy a stack of the best Tom Baker episodes on DVD ('The Ark in Space', 'Genesis of the Daleks', 'Pyramid of Mars', etc.)

The special effects of the Tom Bakers are what you'd expect, but I'm hugely impressed by the quality of the writing and (most of the performances). They still stand up.

Anyone else trying to rewatch on HBO Max and wondering why the episode before "Doomsday" (Rose's last) wasn't there?

Rat Boy wrote:

Anyone else trying to rewatch on HBO Max and wondering why the episode before "Doomsday" (Rose's last) wasn't there?

“Army of Ghosts”? I watched it on HBO Max like a month ago. Is it not there now?

Last night I watched "Fear Her" last and then tonight it jumped to "Doomsday."

Maybe it somehow thought you'd gone through "Army of Ghosts" already, the way that YouTube will sometimes think I've completely watched a video after all of 3 seconds if it was on a TV. The episode is still there.

There was always weirdness with seasons vs specials not being ordered right or whatever. Kind of a pain to watch in order sometimes.

The Doctor Who audio dramas featuring John Hurt as 'The War Doctor' are available on the BBC Sounds app and website.

I've listened to the first episode and it seems very promising.

Gatwa's outfit has been revealed:

Spoiler:

IMAGE(https://images.immediate.co.uk/production/volatile/sites/3/2022/12/414198-f2340c3.jpg)

Looks sharp!

I know who my son is going to be for Halloween

Rat Boy wrote:

I've started a binge watch of David Tennant's run and man does 2005 - 2006 look like it happened an eon ago.

And the end of "The End of Time" lands a bit harder now with the passing of Bernard Cribbins.

Rat Boy wrote:

Okay that looks terrific.

Watched Doctor Who A christmas carol. Somehow I missed it or completely forgot about it. I don't think it worked as a Christmas Carol story. The overall story was okay but had some problems. The main problem was that a space ship was crashing and the only person that could save it was the Scrooge character. All he had to do is turn off the weather machine so the ship could land. My first real problem with the story is that there is no real reason for him to not do this. He just refuses to do it because he is a jerk. Also no offer to pay him to do is ever made.

So the doctor instead of offering to pay him decides to Christmas Carol him. His method is a bit different. He goes back in time and spends every Christmas with him in the hopes of changing Scrooge into a nice person. This almost works but there is a girl that is doomed to die and not being able to save his love harden Scrooge into a bad person.

All of that was for the ghost of christmas past. They use Amy for the ghost of christmas present and back to the doctor for the future. These were more throw away events. The day is saved by a song. There was also a subplot with a flying shark. Did the show jump the shark? No I said it was flying not jumping.

Anyway it was okay.

I just finished watching Capaldi‘s inaugural season, and while I still favor Tennant and Smith, he ain’t bad. Capaldi’s Doctor is extremely introverted compared to Tennant’s and Smith’s, which I find to be a really jarring change.

Also the Christmas special at the end of his first season (the one with the facehuggers) was extremely well done. That actually might be up there with Blink, for me.

merphle wrote:

I just finished watching Capaldi‘s inaugural season, and while I still favor Tennant and Smith, he ain’t bad. Capaldi’s Doctor is extremely introverted compared to Tennant’s and Smith’s, which I find to be a really jarring change.

Also the Christmas special at the end of his first season (the one with the facehuggers) was extremely well done. That actually might be up there with Blink, for me.

Is this your first time through?

Veloxi wrote:
merphle wrote:

I just finished watching Capaldi‘s inaugural season, and while I still favor Tennant and Smith, he ain’t bad. Capaldi’s Doctor is extremely introverted compared to Tennant’s and Smith’s, which I find to be a really jarring change.

Also the Christmas special at the end of his first season (the one with the facehuggers) was extremely well done. That actually might be up there with Blink, for me.

Is this your first time through?

I've watched all of Eccleston/Tennant/Smith (multiple times) before, but this is my first foray into Capaldi's tenure.

Oh you're in for a treat. Capaldi has some AMAZING episodes.

I have seen up through Capaldi, but nothing after thanks to Amazon Prime.

Mixolyde wrote:

I have seen up through Capaldi, but nothing after thanks to Amazon Prime.

I hadn't either until very recently, and I'm sorry to say I don't think I was missing much.

So I guess I took a break from Dr. Who for a bit and kept meaning to get back to it (although I'd still peek my head into this thread and spoil myself occasionally of a future casting choice or two).

I finally took the time to watch what I had missed, starting with a re-watch of the last episode I'd seen, The Timeless Children, so it was fresh in my mind. Overall I had fun with the Flux arc and how it attempted to cram everything Who-ish into 6 episodes- although I know better than to try and pick the plot apart and try to fit it all into the rest of the continuity of the show. Just enjoyed it for the roller coaster ride that it was.

I also really enjoyed seeing Aisling Bea in Eve of the Daleks. I'm all caught up on what's on HBO Max, now. Is there just one episode that's missing? Anyone know where I can watch it? I see it on Amazon Prime, but I'd have to pay $3 to watch it.

You might have also missed Legend of the Sea Devils...which I find pretty missable. The Power of the Doctor is a typically bonkers regeneration story. There's an abbreviated dance sequence somewhere in there with probably one of the funniest cuts I've seen in the whole series. It's worth the $3 (to me), but maybe not for the best of reasons.

Spoiler: