Doctor Who *Spoilers Abound! We've lost Containment*

strangederby wrote:

I liked the fact that they mentioned that spiders breath through their skin and thats one of the reasons we dont have giant spiders. Nice to see some science as well as fiction.

Oh just like the lady from the Metal Gear game. This must be why spiders don't wear clothes.

The morality on this show is so messed up.

Spoiler:

The episode begins with NotTrump trying to cover something up and firing Yaz's mom. Now the whole firing was superfluous to the plot and is only in the episode to make us hate NotTrump. And now that we hate this man, when he later in the episode takes a position in opposition to The Doctor we're going to side with her just because we hate him and love her. I hate that type of lazy, emotional manipulation in shows.

Now that brings us to the ethical question of the episode -- is it okay to kill giant mutant spiders that are trying to kill you? We as a society decided that it's perfectly okay to kill normal spiders crawling around in your house for no reason than you don't want them in your house, but apparently if those spiders grow in size and are threatening your life you're supposed to go out of your way to save them.

So NotTrump is all in on loading up on guns and killing the spiders. The Doctor is horrified by the idea of shooting them and instead tells the team that the humane thing to do is lure them into a small room, seal them in, and wait for them to starve to death. Uh, yeah, I'm with NotTrump here.

Okay, sure, NotTrump is a selfish git, but he's hardly the bad guy that the episode wants us to think he is. On the other hand, the scientist lady gets a free pass despite being the cause of the whole situation. She and her company experimented on normal spiders and disposed of their corpses after the experiments (but I thought killing spiders was wrong?), but failed to do so properly and released one of the mutant spiders in the wild.

yeah, this episode was a bit of a mess, if i'm honest.

For the record, I don't kill spiders though, and i'll generally try not to interfere with them if possible unless they are, like, literally crawling on my face or something.

Related: The spiders in this episode were kinda adorable.

The characters are wonderful though. I loved every scene that had nothing to do with the plot. Yaz's family is fantastic and I loved seeing Graham dealing with Grace's death.

Djinn wrote:

The characters are wonderful though. I loved every scene that had nothing to do with the plot. Yaz's family is fantastic and I loved seeing Graham dealing with Grace's death.

This I agree with. To me, the spiders felt like the B plot to all this great character stuff.

I haven't seen a giant spider invasion this intense since the one in Wisconsin back in the 70s.

I was worried that the Rose Parks episode wouldn't be given the seriousness it deserved, but I liked it. Even got a little emotional at the end.

The spider episode was a mess, but I liked it anyways. I suppose there are very few Doctor Who episodes that I consider downright bad. Last year I re-watched a bunch of Pertwee (my first Doctor) episodes, and enjoyed them, terrible special effects and all.

IMAGE(https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/976x549_b/p01bqvk0.jpg)

I wish Michelle Gomez was still the master because she is a great actress and I love her.

Gomez I love you so much. You will never know because I'm a dirty nobody, but I love you from a far.
I sing the song of love for Gomez, the best master by far.
Come back to the show and let them know
I loooooove you

Baron Of Hell wrote:

I wish Michelle Gomez was still the master because she is a great actress and I love her.

Gomez I love you so much. You will never know because I'm a dirty nobody, but I love you from a far.
I sing the song of love for Gomez, the best master by far.
Come back to the show and let them know
I loooooove you

Have you been watching Sabrina? She's great on that, too

Oh yeah so far it is perfect. I'm on ep7.

wait whaaaaat. :O

Another reason to add that to the watch list then!

sometimesdee wrote:
Tanglebones wrote:

Uh.. everyone knows that that's a real asteroid, and not something they made up for the show, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/284996...

I'm aware. I still want the asteroid to crash into another asteroid full of bigots, though.

So like one of those pictures of polar bear stranded on a piece of ice?
But standing on an asterioid?
in space...
with one the Trump Jr kiddies...
in a space suit...
with a confederate flag on their shoulder?

Yeah, I kinda see it.... Cool!

This latest episode was great.

Most adorable villain ever!

The concept of the creature (basically an energy version of Nibbler) was a bit silly, but it was an all-around fun episode. I thought every one of the guest characters was interesting. Maybe not at the Jenny and Vastra level, but I found myself wanting to know more about all of them. It was also nice to see the Doctor encounter someone in charge that was actually good at their job (so of course he had to die immediately).

The only thing I didn't like was that the creature was first made out to be smart. He got rid of of the escape pods and trick the smart guy into getting into one and then blowing it up. Then we find out it is just drawn to energy and is easily baited off the ship.

Also think it would have been better if they didn't off the smart guy and just left him trapped in the escape pod.

I notice that we're seeing the Doctor experiencing fear at losing the Tardis (that's been two or three episodes it's cropped up in so far I think) to the point where in this episode...

Spoiler:

she almost accidentally endangers the crew of the medical ship in the process of trying to get back to it.

That COULD be an interesting character development, but I'm not quite sure what I think about that yet. I worry that it might come across that "oh the Doctor is a woman now so she needs to be a bit more neurotic and emotional", but that's possibly just me being over-sensitive.

I thought she couldn't think clearly because of the pain she was in.

I just love that as soon as they brought on a woman to be The Doctor they must have just said "f**k it, they're gonna complain about SJWs no matter what we do, so let's do a Rosa Parks episode, let's make fun of Trump, let's have a more diverse cast and a freakin' MAN HAVING A BABY!"

I'm enjoying things being a bit more "monster of the week" for now and exploring things with the new Doctor. I agree, deftly, that all the characters in this ep were interesting and felt filled out enough that they would be worth exploring on their own.

I did like that the male companions were off doing the cliche 'person giving birth' scene while yaz and the doctor were all on hunt n' deal with the emergency duty...nice reversal of the usual status quo.

Rat Boy wrote:

I haven't seen a giant spider invasion this intense since the one in Wisconsin back in the 70s.

... PACKERS!

I'll be in Sheffield tomorrow if anyone wants photos.

pyxistyx wrote:

I notice that we're seeing the Doctor experiencing fear at losing the Tardis (that's been two or three episodes it's cropped up in so far I think) to the point where in this episode...

Spoiler:

she almost accidentally endangers the crew of the medical ship in the process of trying to get back to it.

That COULD be an interesting character development, but I'm not quite sure what I think about that yet. I worry that it might come across that "oh the Doctor is a woman now so she needs to be a bit more neurotic and emotional", but that's possibly just me being over-sensitive.

I think, based in part on the colors of her new costume, that she's meant to be an exploration of the themes of the 6th Doctor - a damaged Doctor in pain, and one that's not quite right at first, after the regeneration. Not really based on anything more than a gut feeling, though.

Wasn't fear of losing the tardis always a thing?

strangederby wrote:

Wasn't fear of losing the tardis always a thing?

Heck, there was a scene where the first Doctor says something like "I've lost my Tardis", complete with a close-up and a sad face.

You're not really a Doctor until you've lost your Tardis at least once.

Really liked this weeks demons episode. A classic tale mixed with history. A twist on aliens that we seen before but they were still cool.

Baron Of Hell wrote:

Really liked this weeks demons episode. A classic tale mixed with history. A twist on aliens that we seen before but they were still cool.

VPN?

I've only managed to watch up through "Arachnids in the UK" so far. I might be missing some of the nuances by virtue of not being in the UK, but this season sure has a lot to say about American politics but doesn't seem to want to go anywhere near Brexit, that particularly English train wreck of ignorance and racism.

sometimesdee wrote:
Baron Of Hell wrote:

Really liked this weeks demons episode. A classic tale mixed with history. A twist on aliens that we seen before but they were still cool.

VPN?

I do have a vpn. I can't let the man know what I'm looking at.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

I've only managed to watch up through "Arachnids in the UK" so far. I might be missing some of the nuances by virtue of not being in the UK, but this season sure has a lot to say about American politics but doesn't seem to want to go anywhere near Brexit, that particularly English train wreck of ignorance and racism.

I think the demon episode will be pleasant surprise, it was for me at least.