Doctor Who *Spoilers Abound! We've lost Containment*

Episode was meh going on eeeewww (I hate bugs).
Bill was amazing and she keeps calling on the Doctor and his shennanigans.

Pearl's a great actress, but the character they've written for her is really above and beyond.

Four episodes in and this is turning out to be the most enjoyable season since series 4. I still prefer Donna to Bill, but Donna has a bit of a head start, so Bill might overtake her at some point. (Sarah Jane and Romana are WAY ahead though). I liked episode four, although the denouement did not surprise me that much, as it was very much in line with what we've seen so far this series, i.e. something sinister turns out to be quite sad in the end. But hey, I'm not complaining, it's just more of a side note.

Is it just me or does the Doctor seem nicer and more compassionate than in the last two seasons?

Regarding the vault:

Spoiler:

I also hope it is not just the Master. Moffat said that we'll find out in episode six what's in that thing, so there's not a lot of waiting left... I guess we won't get a Russell T. Davies-like season mystery after all?

Brainsmith wrote:

Is it just me or does the Doctor seem nicer and more compassionate than in the last two seasons?

I honestly think a lot of it is that he has a MUCH better companion to play off of this time around than he had previously.

pyxistyx wrote:
Brainsmith wrote:

Is it just me or does the Doctor seem nicer and more compassionate than in the last two seasons?

I honestly think a lot of it is that he has a MUCH better companion to play off of this time around than he had previously.

She definitely sees through his bullsh*t much better than the previous ones. I love that.

Bill is great but I think they finally nailed how to write Capaldi as The Doctor as well.

It feels like the first time since New Who where The Doctor feels like a time lord rather than a buddy what goes on space adventures. That comes directly from Bill's relationship with him. It's a really good fit.

I have the episodes sitting on my dvr and only just started em. Haven't read any of the intervening comments, but just wanted to say I think Bill is GREAT.

LouZiffer wrote:
pyxistyx wrote:
Brainsmith wrote:

Is it just me or does the Doctor seem nicer and more compassionate than in the last two seasons?

I honestly think a lot of it is that he has a MUCH better companion to play off of this time around than he had previously.

She definitely sees through his bullsh*t much better than the previous ones. I love that.

Yes, all of this, plus they finally are writing well for Capaldi, as oily said.

Very good episode with the space suits. Kind of wish I skipped the preview for the next episode.

They're finally nailing the humor with Capaldi. I chuckled a few times (the workers fighting the suits, indeed...)

Again, great episode. It reminded me a lot at first of The Ark in Space from 1975 (the look of the station and oxygen playing a key role), but I guess it's hard not to repeat minor details from time to time. I'm looking forward to next week.

Didn't like the episode as the premise of it (zomg evil capitalism) didn't quite make sense. It doesn't make sense to kill workers as this way you open yourself to all kinds of problems (them shutting down their usual ability to send a distress call makes that obvious) and I just don't see any way that killing them makes things cheaper. If you kill them, this way you are shutting down mining for who knows how much time and you've already sent another ship to replace them so it's not like you're saving resources - the ship is on the way anyway and it will go back, just put the miners on it.

I don't mind them making a political point, but if it's made poorly and doesn't even make financial sense, then why bother doing in the first place?

liquid wrote:

Didn't like the episode as the premise of it (zomg evil capitalism) didn't quite make sense. It doesn't make sense to kill workers as this way you open yourself to all kinds of problems (them shutting down their usual ability to send a distress call makes that obvious) and I just don't see any way that killing them makes things cheaper. If you kill them, this way you are shutting down mining for who knows how much time and you've already sent another ship to replace them so it's not like you're saving resources - the ship is on the way anyway and it will go back, just put the miners on it.

I don't mind them making a political point, but if it's made poorly and doesn't even make financial sense, then why bother doing in the first place?

Killing them made space for their replacements who the company were expecting to be more productive.

Killing them renders the mining station useless until the new workers arrive which is bad no matter how you look at it + they could just replace them and put them on the ship that brings the new ones. Doesn't make any sense.

liquid wrote:

Killing them renders the mining station useless until the new workers arrive which is bad no matter how you look at it + they could just replace them and put them on the ship that brings the new ones. Doesn't make any sense.

Cuts through any bureaucracy related to just releasing them, and I assume any galactic corporate ruling class would have quite a lot. That was my take, at least, as I had to contemplate how this was logical myself. Overall have liked the last two episodes, and agree with everyone that the Doctor is much better with Bill as the companion.

I skipped the next trailer, much to my family's irritation. They just don't understand. Spoilers.

RG Ninja wrote:
liquid wrote:

Killing them renders the mining station useless until the new workers arrive which is bad no matter how you look at it + they could just replace them and put them on the ship that brings the new ones. Doesn't make any sense.

Cuts through any bureaucracy related to just releasing them, and I assume any galactic corporate ruling class would have quite a lot. That was my take, at least, as I had to contemplate how this was logical myself. Overall have liked the last two episodes, and agree with everyone that the Doctor is much better with Bill as the companion.

I skipped the next trailer, much to my family's irritation. They just don't understand. Spoilers.

Spoiler:

IMAGE(http://www.blastr.com/sites/blastr/files/styles/rectangle_960x480/public/Doctor-Who-Husbands-of-River-Song.jpg)

liquid wrote:

Killing them renders the mining station useless until the new workers arrive which is bad no matter how you look at it + they could just replace them and put them on the ship that brings the new ones. Doesn't make any sense.

The signs all let me to believe that oxygen was more valuable than people, so i figured they were putting them out of commission to save the cost of the breath of idle workers.

Not that this would reconcile with the new crew arriving with production still uncertain.

Shrug

Finally got around to watching the 5th episode, been busy.

I didn't mind it except for the capitalism hate, which was central to the story so kind of a bummer. I didn't mind any thing else and thought it was a cool and fairly original ending just don't care for the blame to be placed on capitalism. More like greed and corruption.

Next episode looks like one I could really like, minus the...

Spoiler:

...Missy being in it bit. Still keeping hope she is not the one in the vault.

Booth wrote:

Finally got around to watching the 5th episode, been busy.

I didn't mind it except for the capitalism hate, which was central to the story so kind of a bummer. I didn't mind any thing else and thought it was a cool and fairly original ending just don't care for the blame to be placed on capitalism. More like greed and corruption.

Next episode looks like one I could really like, minus the...

Spoiler:

...Missy being in it bit. Still keeping hope she is not the one in the vault.

If it makes you feel any better...

Booth wrote:

I didn't mind it except for the capitalism hate, which was central to the story so kind of a bummer. I didn't mind any thing else and thought it was a cool and fairly original ending just don't care for the blame to be placed on capitalism. More like greed and corruption.

To be fair, you can't really separate greed and corruption from capitalism since those traits are it's inherant byproducts. The episode could have went a lot further than it did, I thought it was fairly restrained.

ruhk wrote:

To be fair, you can't really separate greed and corruption from capitalism since those traits are it's inherant byproducts. The episode could have went a lot further than it did, I thought it was fairly restrained. ;)

I'd say that greed and corruption are more inherent byproducts of humans beings so you'll find them in everything. I'm definitely pro-capitalism but agree to disagree.

Another cracking episode :O

Spoiler:

A few things that maybe don't hold up to scrutiny - like how is sim-Doctor also blind when nobody knows that's the case apart from himself and the robot dude. surely the simulation would still have his sight - but, that's generally par for the course with the series anyway

pyxistyx wrote:

Another cracking episode :O

Spoiler:

A few things that maybe don't hold up to scrutiny - like how is sim-Doctor also blind when nobody knows that's the case apart from himself and the robot dude. surely the simulation would still have his sight - but, that's generally par for the course with the series anyway

Spoiler:

They could be scanning the planet and doctor in real time or even just daily for the simulation. They never said how they are collecting data for the simulation or how often the simulation is updated with new data.

I really liked the episode. I was confused about what was going on until the end but that was part of the fun.

This one didn't really work for me, I feel like the premise was a bit weak even though there are a few good elements.

Baron Of Hell wrote:
pyxistyx wrote:

Another cracking episode :O

Spoiler:

A few things that maybe don't hold up to scrutiny - like how is sim-Doctor also blind when nobody knows that's the case apart from himself and the robot dude. surely the simulation would still have his sight - but, that's generally par for the course with the series anyway

Spoiler:

They could be scanning the planet and doctor in real time or even just daily for the simulation. They never said how they are collecting data for the simulation or how often the simulation is updated with new data.

Spoiler:

I had a similar take on it. My assumption was that this particular simulation was forked off from reality right after the credits.

Do they explain why the Doctor was able to record Bill's and Nardole's excursion with his sonic glasses (I so hoped that we would never see those again, by the way)? I guess he tapped into the whole recording and downloaded them to his device, but still... I feel like I've seen the monsters in this episode somewhere before – at least the design, but I can't put my finger on it... might not be Doctor Who related, but I feel it is...

they're kinda 'feral vampire-ish' in appearance with the hollow bat-noses, so the style of them has probably shown up on some show or movie in the past.

This episode reminded me how much I do not like the current story format. The build up of the story/world and then five minutes of deus ex machina/The Doctor to end the episode. I feel like a classic Who multi-episode arc would have done this story more justice. End the first episode right at Nardole's "moment", then continue the story next week. I realize they are probably attempting to create an overarching plot for this series, but the modern Who story method feels detrimental. Or that could just be the nostalgia talking...

Oh and...

Spoiler:

The Pope speaking Italian and needing translation when standing right next to the TARDIS, raised an eyebrow. Which was reconciled in my brain when it was all determined to be simulation. Poor writing or Moffat being sneaky?

Well it's part one of a three part story, so you'll kinda get your wish

I enjoyed the latest episode but I'm not comepletly sure how I feel about it really. Have to see how they wrap up the story.

Spoiler:

The Tardis not translating bothered me. I didn't really feel it was explained away by the simulation either really?

Was expecting more and didn't really enjoy it. The new monster didn't do anything for me, really, The Silence is probably still my favourite after the angels.