GOP blocks move to end oil subsidies

Robear wrote:

Shouldn't this thread be titled "Four Democrats Block End to Oil Subsidies"?

No, because as Hypatian pointed out, 55-43 would still mean it failed.

NathanialG wrote:
OG_slinger wrote:
mudbunny wrote:

That is untrue. Depending on where you live, buying local may actually result in the consumption of more oil. For example, up here in Ottawa, it is more ecologically friendly to buy vegetables from Florida due to what it costs to produce them year-round up here.

Part of the eat local mantra is you eat what's in season locally, which means you aren't going to be eating fresh veggies in the winter.

My interest in high seas piracy doesnt extend to scurvy.

So rum, sodomy and the lash but you'll need to remember a barrel of lemon juice.

davet010 wrote:
NathanialG wrote:
OG_slinger wrote:
mudbunny wrote:

That is untrue. Depending on where you live, buying local may actually result in the consumption of more oil. For example, up here in Ottawa, it is more ecologically friendly to buy vegetables from Florida due to what it costs to produce them year-round up here.

Part of the eat local mantra is you eat what's in season locally, which means you aren't going to be eating fresh veggies in the winter.

My interest in high seas piracy doesnt extend to scurvy.

So rum, sodomy and the lash but you'll need to remember a barrel of lemon juice.

Right. I mean I don't need that much kink EVERY night but once in a while sure.

So rum, sodomy and the lash but you'll need to remember a barrel of lemon juice.

Isn't that the mistake the British navy made in the 19th century? Lemon or lime juice loses it's anti-scorbutic capacity pretty quickly compared to other things, and no one bothered to check. So they kept lemon and lime juice on board, and thought it was effective, but really it was just the relatively short journeys that kept the men healthy. After all, scurvy was primarily caused by rotten meat (...right? Sure!) and so in 1910, Scott's expedition to Antarctica, which had plenty of high tech preserved meats and juice, suffered badly from scurvy, in spite of having well-preserved meat, because the vitamin C in their juice denatured. Terrible shock to them, of course.

Don't worry about gasoline prices you are still paying a lot less compared to European countries(there is plenty of room to go up). Today the government lowered the flat tax on gasoline by 0.15NIS (4 cent) to keep the price of gasoline at 8 NIS per liter (8.17$ per gallon) . The government claims that our oil prices are still low . This doesn't comfort the people because electricity prices are going up by another 8% ( 24% total this year).

The countries where you can get cheap gasoline are usually countries who have more oil than fresh water and the average income there is usually low.

Robear wrote:
So rum, sodomy and the lash but you'll need to remember a barrel of lemon juice.

Isn't that the mistake the British navy made in the 19th century? Lemon or lime juice loses it's anti-scorbutic capacity pretty quickly compared to other things, and no one bothered to check. So they kept lemon and lime juice on board, and thought it was effective, but really it was just the relatively short journeys that kept the men healthy. After all, scurvy was primarily caused by rotten meat (...right? Sure!) and so in 1910, Scott's expedition to Antarctica, which had plenty of high tech preserved meats and juice, suffered badly from scurvy, in spite of having well-preserved meat, because the vitamin C in their juice denatured. Terrible shock to them, of course.

Only on this forum could you get a detailed lesson on the historicity of scurvy in a thread about oil subsidies.

Nerds.

davet010 wrote:

So rum, sodomy and the lash but you'll need to remember a barrel of lemon juice.

Not to totally derail this thread but pirates were among the first to institute a functional form of democracy that actually worked.

Sooo......

It was slightly 'limited' in scope...and I think the Athenians might be surprised at how long a period 'among the first' covered.

And the quotation, of course, refers to the Royal Navy.

Now back to oil subsidies...

davet010 wrote:

It was slightly 'limited' in scope...and I think the Athenians might be surprised at how long a period 'among the first' covered.

And the quotation, of course, refers to the Royal Navy.

Now back to oil subsidies...

Not to mention the Vikings and the Saxons.

Don't forget the polynesians who were sailing the world long before Christ was born.

LeapingGnome wrote:

Don't forget the polynesians who were sailing the world long before Christ was born.

I think he was talking about the Vikings and Saxon democracies.

davet010 wrote:

Now back to oil subsidies...

Take all you can!
Give nothing back!

Robear wrote:
So rum, sodomy and the lash but you'll need to remember a barrel of lemon juice.

Isn't that the mistake the British navy made in the 19th century? Lemon or lime juice loses it's anti-scorbutic capacity pretty quickly compared to other things, and no one bothered to check. So they kept lemon and lime juice on board, and thought it was effective, but really it was just the relatively short journeys that kept the men healthy. After all, scurvy was primarily caused by rotten meat (...right? Sure!) and so in 1910, Scott's expedition to Antarctica, which had plenty of high tech preserved meats and juice, suffered badly from scurvy, in spite of having well-preserved meat, because the vitamin C in their juice denatured. Terrible shock to them, of course.

It's more complicated than that.

ChrisGwinn wrote:
Robear wrote:
So rum, sodomy and the lash but you'll need to remember a barrel of lemon juice.

Isn't that the mistake the British navy made in the 19th century? Lemon or lime juice loses it's anti-scorbutic capacity pretty quickly compared to other things, and no one bothered to check. So they kept lemon and lime juice on board, and thought it was effective, but really it was just the relatively short journeys that kept the men healthy. After all, scurvy was primarily caused by rotten meat (...right? Sure!) and so in 1910, Scott's expedition to Antarctica, which had plenty of high tech preserved meats and juice, suffered badly from scurvy, in spite of having well-preserved meat, because the vitamin C in their juice denatured. Terrible shock to them, of course.

It's more complicated than that.

I didnt read your article, I am just going to assume there was a lack of lashing and sodomy.

NathanialG wrote:
ChrisGwinn wrote:
Robear wrote:
So rum, sodomy and the lash but you'll need to remember a barrel of lemon juice.

Isn't that the mistake the British navy made in the 19th century? Lemon or lime juice loses it's anti-scorbutic capacity pretty quickly compared to other things, and no one bothered to check. So they kept lemon and lime juice on board, and thought it was effective, but really it was just the relatively short journeys that kept the men healthy. After all, scurvy was primarily caused by rotten meat (...right? Sure!) and so in 1910, Scott's expedition to Antarctica, which had plenty of high tech preserved meats and juice, suffered badly from scurvy, in spite of having well-preserved meat, because the vitamin C in their juice denatured. Terrible shock to them, of course.

It's more complicated than that.

I didnt read your article, I am just going to assume there was a lack of lashing and sodomy.

They were not explicitly referenced, but we all know that sailors can get bored on a long journey.

The points made in the article are what I was trying to summarize in a paragraph. Sorry for the imprecision. Next time I'll derail with a WoT.

wordsmythe wrote:
NathanialG wrote:
ChrisGwinn wrote:
Robear wrote:
So rum, sodomy and the lash but you'll need to remember a barrel of lemon juice.

Isn't that the mistake the British navy made in the 19th century? Lemon or lime juice loses it's anti-scorbutic capacity pretty quickly compared to other things, and no one bothered to check. So they kept lemon and lime juice on board, and thought it was effective, but really it was just the relatively short journeys that kept the men healthy. After all, scurvy was primarily caused by rotten meat (...right? Sure!) and so in 1910, Scott's expedition to Antarctica, which had plenty of high tech preserved meats and juice, suffered badly from scurvy, in spite of having well-preserved meat, because the vitamin C in their juice denatured. Terrible shock to them, of course.

It's more complicated than that.

I didnt read your article, I am just going to assume there was a lack of lashing and sodomy.

They were not explicitly referenced, but we all know that sailors can get bored on a long journey.

All those seamen, packed into dark, sweaty quarters for months on end... they were totally all for sustaining big oil subsidies, if you know what I mean.

Robear wrote:

The points made in the article are what I was trying to summarize in a paragraph. Sorry for the imprecision. Next time I'll derail with a WoT. :-)

I was just grabbing an excuse to link that piece, which I really enjoyed.