Giant Bomb Bomb-All

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/wzxNBXX.jpg)

For those of us who don't listen to the podcasts anymore... What happened? Why are they leaving that studio? Aside from, you know, nobody working in an office anymore.

They were bought by Red Ventures, a digital media company, so had to vacate their CBS studio.

Aw, that is really sad, for some reason. Vinny has been bringing up moving out of there a lot lately. It is really interesting to hear those thoughts, while also watching the youtube videos of the Beastcast putting together the studio.

Double post. Nothing to see here.

I knew they were purchased, I just thought they bought all of CBSi. I guess that whole building wasn't CBSi. Seems odd to me that they couldn't just pick up the lease on that office space and keep going - I can't imagine that every acquisition that happens requires every company to up and move their operations to new space every time.

They don't half go on about Hitman a lot!!!

IIRC, only a couple floors were CBSi. It's very possible Red Ventures already has office space they are paying for somewhere else so it wasn't worth it, and of course, for all we know the lease was running out anyways and you might as well not pay for space nobody is working in.

For no reason I can articulate, I remembered a Giant Bomb-associated podcast where one of the hosts talked about asking someone to make the music for it and specifically giving the composer/digital music creator person the prompt that he wanted it to sound kind of like the theme from Home Improvement. Does anyone remember this and know which podcast it was? I feel like it's the sort of thing Ben might have said, but the only podcast I can think of with Ben was the Aftermath podcast, which obviously had its own music. Maybe it was Will Smith talking about the Tested podcast music way back in the day? I feel like this happened semi-recently but am also ancient so maybe it was like 2009...

NSMike wrote:

I knew they were purchased, I just thought they bought all of CBSi. I guess that whole building wasn't CBSi. Seems odd to me that they couldn't just pick up the lease on that office space and keep going - I can't imagine that every acquisition that happens requires every company to up and move their operations to new space every time.

It's because the majority of employees and space in the CBS office wasn't CBSi related but general business and sales. The ones who were acquired in the sale (Bakalar and his team + GB East) were a pretty small number of people. Vinny and Alex have also expressed how much they disliked their space and are excited with the talks with Red Ventures about their next space. Sounds like whenever they will get a space, it'll be far more dedicated to what them.

TLDR - Maybe Vinny and Alex won't have to stream out of a cramped, hot closet anymore.

Just announced that Brad, Vinny, and Alex are leaving as of this Friday. Not loving it.

Blind_Evil wrote:

Just announced that Brad, Vinny, and Alex are leaving as of this Friday. Not loving it.

I'm shaking quite a bit. Very upset about this now.

Yeah I’d like if we could avoid any snark around this.

This sucks

You know what they say about all good things.

Oh no I know they'll go on to do other things I will enjoy and all things end, but, damn. This makes me sad.

It definitely reinforces my feeling that both Abby and Ben leaving was a bad sign for the future of the site, no matter how much each described it as a result of their own personal circumstances. So I guess GB East is just gone? What even is the site now? Gerstmann, Jan (and I was just meaning to post here to say that I've really been enjoying Jan's presence lately), Jason, I guess Bakalar and...? (I'm sure I'm forgetting someone and being a jerk).

I just randomly started watching an Endurance Run video yesterday and was feeling nostalgic. Stupid time moving forward.

The clip via Steve Kim. I guess I'll break my usual habit of listening to the Bombcast on Friday and listen more tonight. But interesting to hear each of the three say they have given their notice. I wonder if they're going somewhere together? Stephen Totilo went over to Axios and has started hiring people, but I would assume that's more of a news venture which doesn't seem like a fit. I assume Vinny especially with kids and a house would not be giving his notice without another job lined up? I guess they could be planning to launch a Patreon or something together but for whatever reason that doesn't seem likely to me.

I've listened to these guys since the Hotspot in 2006 and have listened to every episode of the Bombcast and Beastcast since each launched. I'm sure tens of thousands of hours. Man, I feel sad about this though I'm hopeful it will lead to more cool stuff from everyone.

And Dan Ryckert just launched a new gaming podcast...coincidence? Yes. (I listened to it, it started off with Dan being very annoying but did get much better, although Dan is somehow using even more wrestling jargon than he used to, which is saying something)

Wow...what a hit. I was just thinking that Vinny, Brad, and Alex would probably be the lifers that would be there until the end of time. This is such a bummer. I am not sure who I would tune in to listen to now as those were my favorites that remained.

To answer your question, as of Friday evening GB with be Jeff, Jason, Jan, and Rorie with Bakalar behind the scenes. I have no idea what will be happening going forward but I am now really struggling through the day.

I knew eventually they would leave but I didn't expect a massive change all at once. GB has been my rock since 2012. Lots of huge ups and downs. Always could look forward to the Bombcast, Beastcast, and Vinny.

It's an extra short bombcast this week and the rest of the week will be pretty business as usual. If you're a premium member, all of May is free and it sounds like there won't be much content.

That's a bummer. I spent the last few months watching the entirety of Brad & Vinny's Astroneer series while doing the dishes and now am going through Vinny's Satisfactory stuff. I still want to get through Mass Alex, so I'll probably keep my subscription around for one more year, but with these three leaving I can't imagine there'll be much new stuff that I'm into.

Saw a bunch of new replies and thought "Well, that can't be good..."

This sucks.

Ouch.

Vinny is the straw for me. I like the others well enough, but in all seriousness, he’s what has kept me from just walking.

In other news, Jeff also just announced he has a second child on the way.

Jeff made a statement:

In a statement, Giant Bomb founder Gerstmann said: "I've spent a lot of the last year thinking about what's next for Giant Bomb and most of those roads lead to a full-on rethink of what it means to be a Website About Video Games in 2021. While I certainly would have loved to solve these challenges with my longtime friends and coworkers by my side, it just wasn't meant to be. I wish Vinny, Alex, and Brad the best. Meanwhile, we have a pretty exciting opportunity to broaden our horizons, rethink every facet of our operation, and get to a place where we're truly able to build that bomb all over again... or die trying."

Speaking to the future of the site, the Giant Bomb team as a whole said: "There is a collective vision for what the future of Giant Bomb is and it involves both familiar and new faces. We're already in talks with creators so that we can begin the next chapter. We're fully aware that this marks a big change and we're using this as an opportunity to rethink what this site is. It's a chance to introduce new personalities from different backgrounds and explore categories and topics that we never have before."

Edit because I don't like this post.

Blind_Evil wrote:

Jeff made a statement:

In a statement, Giant Bomb founder Gerstmann said: "I've spent a lot of the last year thinking about what's next for Giant Bomb and most of those roads lead to a full-on rethink of what it means to be a Website About Video Games in 2021. While I certainly would have loved to solve these challenges with my longtime friends and coworkers by my side, it just wasn't meant to be. I wish Vinny, Alex, and Brad the best. Meanwhile, we have a pretty exciting opportunity to broaden our horizons, rethink every facet of our operation, and get to a place where we're truly able to build that bomb all over again... or die trying."

Speaking to the future of the site, the Giant Bomb team as a whole said: "There is a collective vision for what the future of Giant Bomb is and it involves both familiar and new faces. We're already in talks with creators so that we can begin the next chapter. We're fully aware that this marks a big change and we're using this as an opportunity to rethink what this site is. It's a chance to introduce new personalities from different backgrounds and explore categories and topics that we never have before."

More can be read at the Alex Navarro, Brad Shoemaker, Vinny Caravella Leave Giant Bomb article at GameSpot

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/JrPZTLF.jpg)

Runway cleared for Ryckert. They can finally afford him with these three additional openings. I think that'll be about 4 headcount of salary for Ryckert if my math is right. Worth every penny imo. He can do a one man show where he plays Mario Party against himself (one controller each limb) and call it Mario Party Solitary Confinement.

No.