Giant Bomb Bomb-All

I listen to most podcasts at 1.2 on pocketcasts. The parts of giantbomb and other podcasts that aren't relevant to my interests don't keep me engaged. Then I drift and lose focus on my long commute and it means I miss good stuff or get sleepy if its been a long day.

Blinking white guy strikes again.

I was ready to pull that Drew vid apart but it picked up steam in the last 1/3.

Those opening cut-away edits were pretty cringe though.

Still love's ya Drew! (I know he didn't produce the video)

Aaron D. wrote:

I was ready to pull that Drew vid apart but it picked up steam in the last 1/3.

Those opening cut-away edits were pretty cringe though.

Still love's ya Drew! (I know he didn't produce the video)

Agreed, lots of real standard issue video production "Thing Was Said, Find Stock Asset" stuff at the start.

Man, I know it's not logistically feasible, but I wish Austin could be on the Beastcast every week.

Hell, if I'm being honest, I wish Austin could be on just about every podcast every week. I'm pretty sure there's not a single conversation on any topic that would be improved by him as a part of it.

Which is why I am a waypoint listener now.

Ok, that's not true. I pretty much love their whole staff.

Yup, right there with you.

Like I was saying a few days ago over on the non gaming podcast thread, they are far and away the best thing going in podcasting right now for my tastes, on par with (or perhaps surpassing) the glory days of 1up podcasting (GFW Radio, 1up Yours, etc) and the best of Giant Bomb times.

They've got a crew of people that are wonderful in so many ways individually, and even better in combination, and I will listen to them talk about anything. Honestly, I'm a bit gutted that Vice seems to have shut them down on the deep dives on non gaming stuff, because holy sh*t, they found something magical in their epic analysis of Pride and Prejudice, and that really should have been the start of something rather than the end of it. Oh well, though -- I suppose you just have to enjoy these kinds of lightning in a bottle moments while they last.

Still, though, 5 star podcasts, 5 star runtimes for life, am I right?

I dropped off Waypoint. I’ve never liked listening to Patrick much, like Rob well enough, but Natalie is a poor replacement for Danika. Neutral on Danielle.

Natalie was a ball of nerves when they first brought her on, but she has found her footing and then some since then. Cado is also great, and I wish they'd bring him in more often, but at the same time he plays the "producer who can't help but chip in" bit very well. And again, more than just their individual qualities, they've also really found that special level of comfort and rapport with each other that makes for podcasting gold.

As for Patrick, I mean, you're totally welcome to your very wrong opinion.

zeroKFE wrote:

Natalie was a ball of nerves when they first brought her on, but she has found her footing and then some since then. Cado is also great, and I wish they'd bring him in more often, but at the same time he plays the "producer who can't help but chip in" bit very well. And again, more than just their individual qualities, they've also really found that special level of comfort and rapport with each other that makes for podcasting gold.

As for Patrick, I mean, you're totally welcome to your very wrong opinion.

I love Natalie so much. I think she may be funnier than Danika. Natalie has been just killing it since all 42 hours of the KH lore reasons.

Yeah, early on Natalie irked me with her constant "ums" but she's gotten a lot better about that lately, if only because of doing so many podcasts.

But I also genuinely loved Scoops & the Wolf when that was happening over on Giant Bomb, so I'm not on the same wavelength as anyone who wants less Patrick.

I always felt like Austin was better on the Beastcast because he had great chemistry and timing with those guys and they tend to do a lot more bits and just goof off in ways that the Waypoint crew never does. Which, thinking about it, is a big part of the reason I dropped Waypoint despite generally liking the people on it -- every episode just reminded me how absolutely sh*tty everything is and, well, that's not something I need to be reminded of constantly.

I ended up falling off of Waypoint just because it became too much with 4 GB podcasts a week, at the time, and 2-4 Waypoint Radio as well. I just don’t have the time to listen to that many podcasts.

And I’m not speeding up the podcasts you mongrels.

billt721 wrote:

I always felt like Austin was better on the Beastcast because he had great chemistry and timing with those guys and they tend to do a lot more bits and just goof off in ways that the Waypoint crew never does. Which, thinking about it, is a big part of the reason I dropped Waypoint despite generally liking the people on it -- every episode just reminded me how absolutely sh*tty everything is and, well, that's not something I need to be reminded of constantly.

Yes--this is exactly why I sometimes can't do Waypoint--they don't shy away from the reminder that the world is on fire. Not to mean that I want to live a life like where I ignore the world being on fire (like I'm guessing Dan might), but a break sometime is needed.

Austin on the Beastcast last week was a rare treat, though!

I am watching their Quick Look at Rage 2, and I have watched a few other videos of their's. And I have to ask - is there a game they like?

It always seems to be kind of jaded guys talking about games with little enthusiasm.

farley3k wrote:

is there a game they like?

Mario Party

farley3k wrote:

I am watching their Quick Look at Rage 2, and I have watched a few other videos of their's. And I have to ask - is there a game they like?

It always seems to be kind of jaded guys talking about games with little enthusiasm.

Recently there's SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech, Mortal Kombat 11, Baba is You, Hypnospace Outlaw, Devil May Cry 5, Ape Out, and Resident Evil 2 Remake come to mind. They like A LOT of games but Jeff, who lead that particular Quick Look, tends to be harder to please. It's a very personality driven website and each person has their particular likes and dislikes.

Super Mario Maker 2 is gonna be so fun.

farley3k wrote:

I am watching their Quick Look at Rage 2, and I have watched a few other videos of their's. And I have to ask - is there a game they like?

It always seems to be kind of jaded guys talking about games with little enthusiasm.

If you want enthusiasm you need to watch them talk about old games they grew up playing... or just watch east coast content. I exaggerate but the new games they do tend to get excited about on the West coast are generally genres I dislike.

Or perhaps don't use a game that seems to be universally eliciting hearty shrugs as the gauge for their enthusiasm.

They recently released some videos as a "Premium Unlock" to drive new subscriptions. One of them was for Totally Accurate Battle Simulator, which I think is one they obviously like.

The GTA V heist series is pretty damn impressive. I'm at episode 2 already. I can see why it took them forever to cut all the captured video together.