Giant Bomb Bomb-All

I'm halfway through the podcast. It's really interesting so far. Everything has been super fun to listen to the last few days.

I like that they are making a Rock Band session a yearly thing now. I'm always impressed by Brad singing.

I'm super curious what version of Mass Effect Brad was playing that was THAT buggy. Not that what I played was clean and perfect, but I played the Origin early access build and still only encountered the smallest number of superficial bugs, and the worst I remember reading about (and granted, they were bad) were issues where quest sequencing got screwed up if you started a second character.

Not to discount his experience, of course, and based on that their choice of the game as "worst" for the year doesn't seem unreasonable, but still, it seems like remarkably bad luck.

Probably too early to start talking about their final top 10 given how long the podcast was, but I did find it quite amusing

Spoiler:

that they basically had their final list several hours before they stopped arguing.

zeroKFE wrote:

I'm super curious what version of Mass Effect Brad was playing that was THAT buggy.

This version:

Honestly, with many of those bugs you either hit them or you didn't, the build of the game was the same. That's part of why they were still in the game I imagine. Corner case and hard to repro bugs are the worst.

True that!

Finished the podcasts!!! That was so much fun. It was really frustrating that Abby bounced off NieR because she couldn't argue about it "properly." Basically that whole first 20 hours is kinda meant to be that so that it can then deconstruct and break down everything you've experienced up to that point. But yeah, it's a lot to ask from anyone to get through that section. God, I'm so glad Jeff was able to power through because there was a good balance of arguments and nobody got steamrolled.

Spoiler:

Really glad Odyssey didn't make the top 3. It's super polished but kinda boring to me. I'm very okay with Zelda beating NieR just because I think they will BOTH be very influential games in very different ways over the next couple decades.

My prediction list is completely wrong.

I cheated and looked at my list. I had two 100% right and the rest in the top 7 right but in the wrong order. Nothing surprises me about the bottom 3 and I’m just about to end the 5 hour deliberations to see how they talk about these.

Vector wrote:

I cheated and looked at my list. I had two 100% right and the rest in the top 7 right but in the wrong order. Nothing surprises me about the bottom 3 and I’m just about to end the 5 hour deliberations to see how they talk about these.

Ha! Ha!

I like Abby, but her freshman experience shows. I sort of feel bad that Jeff even joked with her about the "very fun" repetition. I hope she doesn't take offense to it.

She's a great addition to the team, and has awesome improv chops, but the rest of the staff's experience and weight in the industry really showed over the last five days of podcasts. She needs to up her argumentative abilities, because saying "I dunno, I had fun with it" only gets so far.

She did get Dream Daddy on the list though, so whatever. She landed the punch.

EDIT: That whole list is a mess, and it's better off if I don't talk about it in depth.

Wow. I disagree 100% with the sentiment, and in fact, I think Abby is the only one on the podcast (except sometimes Alex) with any argumentative skills at all, fighting a losing game against people who aren't interested in defending positions. Jeff in particular continues to be a petulant child whenever he is even slightly challenged on his razor-thin arguments and blanket statements. It's what makes me frustrated listening to these things every year.

She in fact totally reminds me of being in the same position of Alex, Patrick and Austin in their first year, where they think this is a debate going on at all, rather than a flat-out pissing match, and they learned the key is to be more angry and stubborn in the future.

She adequately described why the Nier Automata music did nothing for her and that Cuphead's music encapsulated the feel of the game much more. She explained why Observer should be a contender for "best world" even though it basically took place on the same few city blocks. And she did a hell of a good job explaining her affection for Dream Daddy.

Even her "it was fun to me" tick was because she thought she had already said her piece and then let it go, while being stuck in an annoying environment where everyone else likes to just hammer their exact same point over and over as if they were making new ones in order to drag the stalemate out for another 30 minutes.

I'm in the middle of the Zelda stuff, and Dan in particular is doing an awful job convincing me it isn't the most amazing thing of 2010.

Edit: "Oh wow! I could go around that mountain, and there might be a dragon!? Holy sh*t!"

I'm on day 3 (skipping over wolf moments segment since I haven't finished it) and I just want Abby to win 1 damn argument.

I thought Abby did a great job. She’s vocal, makes her point, and the only time she got really annoyed (2 hours left in day 5 though) was in the GOTY list discussing with Dan and he was getting very reductive and had to give a big explanation/apology speech.

It does seem weird that you guys are saying she didn’t win one argument when she got Mario Kart to be the best old game in the very first category.

Abby for best bomber of the GOTY casts.

Ben and Jan are runners up.

Dan is worst for his "but its a dating sim" line of argument that was insulting once, and infuriating the 20th time.

whispers They killed Mass Effect.

I got what he was saying initially, more people were saying good things about Uncharted than Dream Daddy and 5 of the 7 people that had played it didn't like it all. So while it may be a game of the year to her how does that make it a game of the year for GB?

But then when people spoke up and was like "I've been convinced" he just kept doubling down on it.

Sounded like they had not played Divinity Original Sin 2 - how can they even talk about a top 10 list then?!
Also a distinct lack of Nioh - apparently the one who wanted to fight for that game was not there?
Interesting how they rarely mentioned Horizon too, even though they gave it a glowing review at release.
But I guess it just shows what a quality overloaded year it has been.

Always like to listen to Giantbombs Game of the year podcasts, but zoned out quite a bit this year. They went on a bit too long going in circles in their various defenses of whatever game they wanted to win. And not just for the Best Game category.

Shadout wrote:

Always like to listen to Giantbombs Game of the year podcasts, but zoned out quite a bit this year. They went on a bit too long going in circles in their various defenses of whatever game they wanted to win. And not just for the Best Game category.

I agree, overall. I suspect some of that had to do with the recent additions, though of course the sheer amount of games had something to do with it as well.

Overall I'm disappointed a game I'm never going to enjoy myself, PUBG, won pretty much everything it was up for but I'm not surprised that it did so, given this is the Giant Bomb's GOTY.

bnpederson wrote:

Overall I'm disappointed a game I'm never going to enjoy myself, PUBG, won pretty much everything it was up for but I'm not surprised that it did so, given this is the Giant Bomb's GOTY.

Same, but that's not unusual. The GB, and frankly most game sites/podcast crews, tend to gravitate toward MP games, since they provide solid content, and they have a built in group of people to play with. Even semi-MP stuff like Mario Maker goes over well. Since I don't really enjoy MP games, and don't have a group of people to play with, I'm frequently on the outside looking in as the "game folks" gush about some game or other that I'll never really get to enjoy the same way.

Shadout wrote:

Sounded like they had not played Divinity Original Sin 2 - how can they even talk about a top 10 list then?!

I'm trying to think back, but they generally haven't been big fans of CRPGs at all in the time I've been listening to them. I could check previous lists, but that would take too long. I don't think they've even been a big fan of strategy games either for that matter, outside of XCOM:EU one year, and Brad's obsession with Star Craft 2 and DOTA 2 over the years.

Chaz wrote:

I'm frequently on the outside looking in as the "game folks" gush about some game or other that I'll never really get to enjoy the same way.

That's why I always appreciate Rorie's list and his input when he can give it. He seems much more in-line with my own tastes, especially the single-player element.

bnpederson wrote:
Chaz wrote:

I'm frequently on the outside looking in as the "game folks" gush about some game or other that I'll never really get to enjoy the same way.

That's why I always appreciate Rorie's list and his input when he can give it. He seems much more in-line with my own tastes, especially the single-player element.

Rorie is the secret best part of the site. I wish he had a bigger role.

EDIT: I don't see how people thought Abby was the best this year - she was easily the worst, but we all have our opinions. Maybe I simply got annoyed from hearing her saying "it's very fun" or "it's very good" for five days straight. It grated on me, especially in contrast to others who were able to make different arguments, AND BECAUSE HORIZON WAS SHAFTED EVEN THOUGH DREAM DADDY GOT IN THE TOP 10 ARRRRRRRRGH.

You may be confused because she didn't reiterate herself ad nauseam.

Abby explains her point once.
Abby gets talked over.
Abby doesn't beat her point to death because she's already said what she wanted.
Someone else gets their way.
Fin.

Maybe we listened to different podcasts? Because she definitely repeated herself over and over, and while she sometimes did get talked over, so did others, yet I also saw the rest of the group quiet down quite a few times for her to talk.

Again, this is to not bash on Abby. I like her a lot - from the very first Beastcast she was on, in fact. I just really thought she stood out in a bad way (mainly in the Best Game category). At least it wasn't Brad that got me annoyed this year around? Next year, who knows! Maybe Jan will become popular and make a stonewall for a Tencent phone game to get in at #10!

EDIT: Words for clarity.

Vrikk wrote:

I just really thought she stood out in a bad way this year around.

Say whaaa?

Maybe this is skirting P&C, but Abby is one of the many examples of a woman/POC that is trying to voice an opinion that gets a bit mansplained and dismissed outright due to just being outnumbered by not only a majority of men but those that are assumed to be experts and thereby invalidating her voicing her opinions. No one backs her up and so she retreats to the "I thought this was fun for me" statement because she has no other leg that she is allowed to stand on.

Abby with a full GB crew is definitely a different feel than Abby with just the Beast crew. At least that's the feel I'm getting from listening to the GOTY casts.

I don't think it's a P&C thing, and I hope people don't make it into that. I do not care if she is male or female. I simply think her being new to the industry was showing a little too much.

I thought Patrick was a little grating the same way when he joined, and I warmed up to him a lot after about six months. The difference is this is the only time I've disliked what Abby has brought to the podcast. I liked her from the start otherwise.

I see how I'm in the minority over her though, so let's just move on to something else. I don't want to repeat anything more than I already have.

Vrikk wrote:

I see how I'm in the minority over her though, so let's just move on to something else. I don't want to repeat anything more than I already have.

I feel similar to you, so don't feel alone. There were a few egregious statements she said that deserves criticism to be called out for. However, I don't think the GB regulars did a very good job explaining their own positions either. The only people over these videos that made interesting cases were Alex and Ben. Abby, Vinny, and Brad had a their moments. Jeff and Dan didn't say much. Jason said almost nothing. Not sure why this would go a P&C direction as Abby's picks almost always made it into the top three if not winning outright. Vinny also had her back in multiple occasions and the two of them said enough to bring Jeff around.

The difference I see is that Abby's picks didn't get considered until one of the other guys relented and agreed with them. But someone like Brad or Dan could keep a game in consideration all on their own.

Abby may've been more 'annoying' and seemed like she had to repeat herself...but it's because that was the only way she was getting her voice to be heard. Literally she had to say the same spiel about Dream Daddy 5+ times because each time either Ben or Dan or someone would dismiss it pretty outright and it absolutely wouldn't have made the list until Vinny agreed and then reiterated everything she said. THEN suddenly it was actually up for consideration.

She absolutely got plenty of things on the various categories but I feel like she was fighting harder for those things than just about anyone else and didn't have to resort to the childish bullsh*t like Jeff, Brad, or Dan exhibited.

ALSO, Ben is just as new as she is, yet everything he said was considered almost instantly and without question. Interesting.

Also, if the whole GOTY leaves you drained...you should totally watch some of their game streams stuff like Hitmas and the Rock band stuff. I found all of that to be way more enjoyable. Hitmas in particular was a special brand of insanity. And Abby fans will really like her Rockband performances.

I don't disagree with you, w00t, but keep in mind Ben isn't strictly new insofar as he was a GB intern, so he has a preexisting relationship with (at least) Jeff, Vinny, Brad and Alex.

Yeah, Abby fought tooth and nail and had reasons to get Dream Daddy in there at all, and Dan declares Zelda is the greatest game he's ever played, joining the august ranks of Mario Sunshine and Mario Party 3, and it's #2. I was rooting for Abby the whole time, even at the cost of my #4 or 5 GOTY.

Speaking of how Dan sucks, I'm listening to the Beastcast bonus, and Austin Walker remains incredibly gifted at turning Dan's tedious bullsh*t, ignorance, and lack of imagination into something of value. If I'm ever in a skid, I can only hope Walker is at the wheel.