Giant Bomb Bomb-All

Delerat wrote:

Would Dan be involved? He might actually grasp what D&D is like if played along in Fiasco XD

Fiasco wouldn't help Dan with d&d though. I daresay if Dan was involved it'd be better to put some system with dice rolls, at least. Dan doesn't seem the type to collaborate without them.

If it happens with any system that'll put Austin's numerous GM skills to the test.

Man, Brad is going ham on Destiny 2 in every freaking category. Deja vu over in here.

Ugggggg. Way to kill my enthusiasm.

bnpederson wrote:

Man, Brad is going ham on Destiny 2 in every freaking category. Deja vu over in here.

Haven't listened yet, but here are the categories Destiny 2 should be nominated in based on what they've covered so far:

Most Disappointing
Hottest Mess
maybe Best Music

I'm guessing this is not what actually happened.

I was just sitting here waiting on someone to kick off this thread with a complaint about Brad and Destiny 2. I even mentioned it in slack. Thank you! ;D

But seriously he's way less of a champion for it on Day 2 than Day 1.

b12n11w00t wrote:

I was just sitting here waiting on someone to kick off this thread with a complaint about Brad and Destiny 2. I even mentioned it in slack. Thank you! ;D

This is what I came for. I was not disappointed.

You're quite welcome. I posted that about the time I got to his Day 1 threat to filibuster in order to get Destiny 2 on the short list.

That's exactly the moment where I was like 'OOOOOOH boy people are not going to like that.'

So how Spoiler-y are these GOTY podcasts so far? My main hesitation for listening are concerns about spoiling the new Wolfenstein game (just got for XMas and am thankfully unspoiled) and Nier Automata (though I'm not clear on the extent to which Peter Brown's discussion about the game on the Bombcast already spoiled the biggest surprise about that game, and in any event, I will not be surprised if I never get around to playing it). I totally get why they don't want to deal with any kind of granular spoiler warnings for these GOTY podcasts, given the circumstances under which they are recording them, but it does make it hard to know what to do when you haven't had time to play games you know they're going to discuss.

I'll admit, Brad is getting me to turn on him in the Best Looking category by ragging on the beautiful and explicitly set in my home Horizon in favor of the rote Destiny 2. Muted, Brad!? If only because we have not given enough attention to environmental issues!

SpacePPoliceman wrote:

Brad is getting me to turn on him in the Best Looking category

But now that Drew is gone Brad IS the best looking! How can this even be an argument?

bnpederson wrote:

You're quite welcome. I posted that about the time I got to his Day 1 threat to filibuster in order to get Destiny 2 on the short list.

It's pretty funny to hear Abby argue a pov well and Brad act like a child.

It's good to have Brad back.

boogle wrote:
bnpederson wrote:

You're quite welcome. I posted that about the time I got to his Day 1 threat to filibuster in order to get Destiny 2 on the short list.

It's pretty funny to hear Abby argue a pov well and Brad act like a child.

I hope she didn't take it to heart the light jabs Jeff gave her 'very good' repetition.

Brad has been beat down over the years by Jeff nearly always getting his way. He's only a shell of his former self. Give the dude a break.

The Best World category is a catastrophe. Neither Jeff nor Vinny understand the categorie and Jeff is being super argumentative because he needs extreme structure rather than a nebulous "this feels like a world". I can't help but think if they just called it "Best Realized World" they'd be fine.

Or "Best World Building."

I dunno. I totally got what Alex's intent for the category was, and I think there's a really good idea in there -- i.e., giving recognition to games that do this nebulous thing many of us really enjoy in games, which is a close cousin of storytelling and world building but also involves an experiential/interactive element that isn't satisfactorily wrapped up in either of those concepts as we understand them from other media -- but the whole thing was a bit of a mess, and does need deeper examination and codification to some degree.

But, at the same time, it's also maybe a bit like the Supreme Court's definition of pornography; I don't know exactly how to describe it, but I know it when I see it.

One piece of these discussions that I find annoying is the absolute 3 game final set, it results in long excruciating conversations about what has to be in the top 3 when everybody knows one of the games already on the list is going to win. For example: Best Surprise 2017.

Yeah, yeah, yeah! NieR: Automata gets best music.

I think I’m enjoying them playing games more then the podcasts.

Sort of a side note, but is anyone following Waypoint’s GOTY podcasts?

They’re doing the 5-day format as well, but focusing on a single topic each day (Gaming & Politics, Titles Only On Personal Lists, etc.). And at only 1+ hours each they feel lean & focused.

I guess this the first year Austin, Danielle, Rob & Patrick have attempted their own take on GOTY podcasts and it feels like they’ve come out strong as hell.

Norfair wrote:

I think I’m enjoying them playing games more then the podcasts.

I feel that way most years, but I keep listening for some reason.

Aaron D. wrote:

Sort of a side note, but is anyone following Waypoint’s GOTY podcasts?

They’re doing the 5-day format as well, but focusing on a single topic each day (Gaming & Politics, Titles Only On Personal Lists, etc.). And at only 1+ hours each they feel lean & focused.

I guess this the first year Austin, Danielle, Rob & Patrick have attempted their own take on GOTY podcasts and it feels like they’ve come out strong as hell.

Yep, they're good! I'll get through them all eventually. They're doing a lot of streaming stuff too. Will catch up on that probably in the background at work next week.

I'm alternating the gb and waypoint casts. Helps break up Brad's Destiny love in.

Jesus the Best Styyyyyyyyyyyyyyle category is a god damn catastrophe. That is the only thing that Persona 5 has going for it in my opinion. Art, Graphics, and Style are not the same thing people!

I'm glad the crew are keeping Brad's grumbly old man "I get my way or I burn this down" attitude in check for the most part though. He's been bickering and moaning a bit, but I don't see another 3-hour "I don't give a sh*t I'm not giving ground" filibuster again.

Granted, I'm also not done with all the podcasts yet.

EDIT: I sort of feel bad for Abby, but her "it's a very fun game, I like it" argument isn't swaying anyone. She's still a freshman, though.

Vrikk wrote:

EDIT: I sort of feel bad for Abby, but her "it's a very fun game, I like it" argument isn't swaying anyone. She's still a freshman, though.

I don't feel like she's been particularly steamrolled yet. She's getting a say in things and people are definitely giving her every chance possible to speak up when she wants. It's a little tough to judge because she's the ONLY woman on the podcast and kinda deserves to get her way in everything just because of that fact. She'll get Dream Daddy on the top 10 list. If that doesn't happen then I'm calling foul on the whole thing.

I'm so delighted they continue to get a list from ZODIAC MOTHERf*ckER. I got owned by him once, a proud moment!

Vrikk wrote:

Jesus the Best Styyyyyyyyyyyyyyle category is a god damn catastrophe.

Saw Night in the Woods wasn't one of the three, figured as much.

Wow.

Jeff's personal list has Nier at number 2, and doesn't even mention Zelda (not too surprising given his middling impressions throughout the year).

Today's podcast will definitely be interesting.

Also, pretty sure at this point that PuBG is a lock for their number 1, and I suspect it will be a hard fight for the rest of the top 4 between Nier, Mario, and Wolfenstein. No clue at all what comes after that.

I was pretty pleasantly surprised about Nier's position on Jeff's list too. While I'm sad that PUBG will ultimately wind up at #1, I'll be thrilled if Nier winds up top 3.