Giant Bomb Bomb-All

I bet Jason is real happy right now.

Oh boy, this week's NieR discussion on the Bombcast was fun. I've been waiting for them to discuss all the good and bad stuff about the game, and it's taken forever. Jeff and Brad have finally gotten into route B and, while they have problems with certain aspects, just hearing them gush about certain aspects makes me so happy to hear, and that's so just the beginning! They're kinda the last podcast outfit not to really dig into it, but I feel like there's gonna be some really fun spoiler discussion in the GOTY podcasts. Looking forward to that discussion wrapping up this trash fire of a year for everything except video games. Well, there were some gaming trash fires.

FINALLY! NIER GOTY!

Seriously, I'd love to find time to do a second run through, taking notes, so I can finally write up that thing I've been wanting to.

Chaz wrote:

FINALLY! NIER GOTY!

Seriously, I'd love to find time to do a second run through, taking notes, so I can finally write up that thing I've been wanting to.

I'm hoping it can squeeze into the top five, but we'll see. I honestly just can't wait for all the conversation this year since there were so many great games.

Glad to see Jason get some help finally and the new guy seems cool. Though I do once again wonder at GB West's inability to find even just one woman for their staff.

And yet I still go to them for most of my games coverage at this point so... yay hypocrisy I guess.

Unrelated: I think I'd like Exquisite Corps a lot better if they'd pay attention to even like a fifth of how the game's mechanics and systems work. It was fun at first but everybody still making the same mistakes 15 episodes in is getting old.

Alex has gotten better since he played at home at the same time but Abby and Dan only playing once every three weeks really screws them over. Dan and Vinny’s extremely poor memories doesn’t help either.

Thin_J wrote:

And yet I still go to them for most of my games coverage at this point so... yay hypocrisy

It’s funny that while I find east and west pretty entertaining their taste in games is so different than mine I don’t get much from them on that front. Vinny and Jason are the only two that even venture into liking similar games as me.

It’s also true that you don’t have to share the same tastes as someone to get relevant and useful info but they sometimes have a tendency to be very dismissive to anything they don’t personally like that I can’t help rolling my eyes.

JeremyK wrote:
Thin_J wrote:

And yet I still go to them for most of my games coverage at this point so... yay hypocrisy

It’s funny that while I find east and west pretty entertaining their taste in games is so different than mine I don’t get much from them on that front. Vinny and Jason are the only two that even venture into liking similar games as me.

It’s also true that you don’t have to share the same tastes as someone to get relevant and useful info but they sometimes have a tendency to be very dismissive to anything they don’t personally like that I can’t help rolling my eyes.

Yeah... I feel the same way. But as far as gaming news... I listen to the bombcast, for discussion I listen to the beastcast. It's odd... I guess I don't like the west crew much where there is no news, but the east crew I will always listen to.

I tuned out a little bit during the Sims 4 thing, and didn't pick up that Russell had lost Sim Dirtbike, not real Dirtbike.

In case anyone hasn't played NieR Automata, I posted this in the comments on this week's Bombcast because they didn't address it when they talked about Justin McElroy and NieR fishing. If you didn't follow the NieR Automata thread, you most surely missed me bringing it up.

tuffalobuffalo wrote:

Great podcast this week, and I'm sad we have to wait so long for all the fun GOTY stuff ahead.

I have one small thing extra to note about the NieR fishing and Justin McElroy discussion towards the end of the podcast. Yes, I agree that the ridiculously easy fishing minigame in Automata is a Yoko Taro joke reaction to the criticism of the original NieR's fishing. I also am convinced that ending K is a completely related Yoko Taro joke. This is the one where Jackass gives you a Mackerel to eat as an experiment and warns you that if you eat it you might die. Of course, eating it gives you ending K. Mackerel... McElroy.

The spoilers are light enough not to worry about at this point in my opinion.

I cannot get over this damn merch.

branding so strong.

Please tell me it says "Nobody wins" on the reverse side.

I hate Dan so much. He (or his persona on the show) is such a goddamn moron. It's not even funny, it's just stupid. I hate him so much. And I think Alex's disdain for him is becoming real now.

Is that in response to this week's podcasts? Because I'm just now getting to last week's Beastcast, and while I've got a high tolerance for Dan, his bafflement about card games that don't use regular playing cards, and then D&D in general, is making me want to reach through the phone and smack him. We may have reached peak Dan.

maverickz wrote:

I hate Dan so much. He (or his persona on the show) is such a goddamn moron. It's not even funny, it's just stupid. I hate him so much. And I think Alex's disdain for him is becoming real now.

It’s fine to not like a person but I’m generally not a fan of when we project that onto how others must feel.

JeremyK's annoyance is becoming real now

I don't know what that means.

So wait, is Dan the best thing or the worst thing? I forget.

IMAGE(https://i.giphy.com/media/128UMaujdjX7Pi/giphy.webp)

hbi2k wrote:

So wait, is Dan the best thing or the worst thing? I forget.

He's the best at being the worst.

He is simultaneously both and neither, seemingly dependent upon how he is observed. What remains unclear is whether or not the act of observation has a causal effect on the outcome of any given experiment examining this puzzling phenomenon.

The card games and D&D makes me want to sit down with him and go through it... I feel like he would be wonderful chaos as a D&D player.

Chaz wrote:

Is that in response to this week's podcasts? Because I'm just now getting to last week's Beastcast, and while I've got a high tolerance for Dan, his bafflement about card games that don't use regular playing cards, and then D&D in general, is making me want to reach through the phone and smack him. We may have reached peak Dan.

Yes, that is PRECISELY what I'm talking about.

manta173 wrote:

The card games and D&D makes me want to sit down with him and go through it... I feel like he would be wonderful chaos as a D&D player.

No, you don't want to play D&D with Dan. Because he will try to "win" the game. Because he's an awful person.

JeremyK wrote:
maverickz wrote:

I hate Dan so much. He (or his persona on the show) is such a goddamn moron. It's not even funny, it's just stupid. I hate him so much. And I think Alex's disdain for him is becoming real now.

It’s fine to not like a person but I’m generally not a fan of when we project that onto how others must feel.

I don't know what you want me to do with this information. I wasn't asking for persmission. I don't have a direct line to Alex and I'm not telling him how to feel.

Tbh I feel the same about tabletop games, d&d, etc. Doesn't make me a bad person. It's just too fiddly and ethereal for me.

Blind_Evil wrote:

Tbh I feel the same about tabletop games, d&d, etc. Doesn't make me a bad person. It's just too fiddly and ethereal for me.

Your user name literally has "evil" in it.

Blind_Evil wrote:

Tbh I feel the same about tabletop games, d&d, etc. Doesn't make me a bad person. It's just too fiddly and ethereal for me.

FWIW, ditto on D&D. It is end to end a miserable experience for me. Normally this is where I cue the "Oh you just had a bad GM" people, but let me just cut them off: No. There is no GM that can save D&D for me. It. Does. Not. Work. For. Me. Period. It is end to end a miserable experience I get nothing out of.

It's clearly a thing a lot of people love and I'm a little jealous that I can't be a part of this fun nerdy thing, but I can't because on some fundamental level it just doesn't have anything to offer me.

With that said, Dan hasn't actually sat down and tried it so his incredulity about card games and tabletop RPG's of that variety is standard Dan "I haven't tried that so I'll just be a dense asshole about it" garbage.

Skipping whole chunks of podcasts until you find a point where those conversations are over is a totally ok thing to do and I highly recommend it. It means that sometimes I skip like 45 minutes of the Beastcast but that's just life.

maverickz wrote:
JeremyK wrote:
maverickz wrote:

I hate Dan so much. He (or his persona on the show) is such a goddamn moron. It's not even funny, it's just stupid. I hate him so much. And I think Alex's disdain for him is becoming real now.

It’s fine to not like a person but I’m generally not a fan of when we project that onto how others must feel.

I don't know what you want me to do with this information. I wasn't asking for persmission. I don't have a direct line to Alex and I'm not telling him how to feel.

Nothing. Just saying I find it silly. Struck me when you said it because it recently came up in some Giantbomb content when they mentioned how often people in comments try to make it out like they hate each other.

Thin_J wrote:

With that said, Dan hasn't actually sat down and tried it so his incredulity about card games and tabletop RPG's of that variety is standard Dan "I haven't tried that so I'll just be a dense asshole about it" garbage.

You should watch the Giantbomb D&D video where Dan "tried" D&D. It went how you'd expect.

JeremyK wrote:
maverickz wrote:
JeremyK wrote:
maverickz wrote:

I hate Dan so much. He (or his persona on the show) is such a goddamn moron. It's not even funny, it's just stupid. I hate him so much. And I think Alex's disdain for him is becoming real now.

It’s fine to not like a person but I’m generally not a fan of when we project that onto how others must feel.

I don't know what you want me to do with this information. I wasn't asking for persmission. I don't have a direct line to Alex and I'm not telling him how to feel.

Nothing. Just saying I find it silly. Struck me when you said it because it recently came up in some Giantbomb content when they mentioned how often people in comments try to make it out like they hate each other.

Disdain is not the same thing as hate.

Oh, I don’t see how that would change my point drastically but ok. I think we can leave it at you disagree with me and move on with our lives.

JeremyK wrote:

Oh, I don’t see how that would change my point drastically but ok. I think we can leave it at you disagree with me and move on with our lives.

You wanna hug it out?

maverickz wrote:
JeremyK wrote:

Oh, I don’t see how that would change my point drastically but ok. I think we can leave it at you disagree with me and move on with our lives.

You wanna hug it out?

Roll a persuasion check.