Great Big Tracts of Land, or How I Bought a Castle

Dimmerswitch wrote:
Malor wrote:

I think "Here there be flagons" rolls off the tongue much, much better. It's the wording that used to be on the old maps, as I recall. It just doesn't sound right without the 'there'. It has a funny sound to a modern ear, "here" and "there" in immediate succession, but that's part of what makes it work, in my view.

Here there be a brief writeup, showing that no old maps actually had that text.

Dimmerswitch's Link wrote:

Here there are even men who have large four-foot horns, and there are even serpents so large that they could eat an ox whole.

Here there are ...-stuff-(the latin was done properly, so any be/are confusion is sort of silly). It's the translation for the Borgia map, second entry under the 'Dragons on maps' bullet.

Now, remotely on topic, Teneman, you mentioned you were thinking of doing some brewing. Does that include a root beer or something similarly non-alcoholic? Possibly against the spirit of an old timey tavern, I guess.

Miashara wrote:

Now, remotely on topic, Teneman, you mentioned you were thinking of doing some brewing. Does that include a root beer or something similarly non-alcoholic? Possibly against the spirit of an old timey tavern, I guess.

Even so, I'd hope so as well; you're not the only non-drinking goodjer.

NSMike wrote:
AnimeJ wrote:
NSMike wrote:

I have attended at least four GWJ meetups. All of them have been very well behaved, and three of the four were peopled by folks who are most likely to use Ravenwood for GWJ gatherings - Eastern Ohioans.

You've got nothing to worry about, IMHO, Teneman.

In all fairness, us SW OH folks are about an hour closer. Just sayin. :)

That may be, but there's more of us in the east, and we get together more often.

You area brave man, though, admitting proximity to Dayton.

I live 15 minutes up 675 from Dayton; it's not all bad, because it also means I live 10 minutes from the USAF museum.

AnimeJ wrote:
Miashara wrote:

Now, remotely on topic, Teneman, you mentioned you were thinking of doing some brewing. Does that include a root beer or something similarly non-alcoholic? Possibly against the spirit of an old timey tavern, I guess.

Even so, I'd hope so as well; you're not the only non-drinking goodjer. :)

Yes, please, to a root beer.

AnimeJ wrote:
NSMike wrote:

I have attended at least four GWJ meetups. All of them have been very well behaved, and three of the four were peopled by folks who are most likely to use Ravenwood for GWJ gatherings - Eastern Ohioans.

You've got nothing to worry about, IMHO, Teneman.

In all fairness, us SW OH folks are about an hour closer. Just sayin. :)

That may be, but there's more of us in the east, and we get together more often.

You are a brave man, though, admitting proximity to Dayton.

SixteenBlue wrote:
AnimeJ wrote:
Miashara wrote:

Now, remotely on topic, Teneman, you mentioned you were thinking of doing some brewing. Does that include a root beer or something similarly non-alcoholic? Possibly against the spirit of an old timey tavern, I guess.

Even so, I'd hope so as well; you're not the only non-drinking goodjer. :)

Yes, please, to a root beer.

Or a Sarsaparilla like I just made 2 days ago.

I demand hard cider on tap!

Being in the best part of Ohio is like being the tallest midget.

carrotpanic wrote:

Being in the best part of Ohio is like being the tallest midget.

I'm not even in the best part... That is, arguably, Columbus. I really like it down there. But, you are correct, overall.

Ohio, a state that makes me enjoy Oklahoma more.

boogle wrote:

Ohio, a state that makes me enjoy Oklahoma more.

Whoa whoa whoa... Ohio's not THAT bad.

And this is coming from a native Pennsylvanian, who knows what he's missing by being out of PA.

See, I lived in PA when I was a kid. It may be due to living in Philly, but I much prefer Dayton.

AnimeJ wrote:

See, I lived in PA when I was a kid. It may be due to living in Philly, but I much prefer Dayton.

Oh god, parts of Philly are PA's Dayton. Philly is a disgusting city.

NSMike wrote:
AnimeJ wrote:

See, I lived in PA when I was a kid. It may be due to living in Philly, but I much prefer Dayton.

Oh god, parts of Philly are PA's Dayton. Philly is a disgusting city.

... I like Philly

Edit: Though Pittsburgh, from the little I've seen of it, is an absolutely gorgeous town.

This is taken from one of the least-known, but alternately most-famous, vantage points, the West End Overlook:

IMAGE(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/West_End_Overlook%2C_Pittsburgh%2C_PA.jpg)

Eh, having lived in both Philly and Pittsburgh, give me Philly any day. It's more fun, better food, better places to drink, and less confusing.

Nevin73 wrote:

Eh, having lived in both Philly and Pittsburgh, give me Philly any day. It's more fun, better food, better places to drink, and less confusing.

Getting around in Pittsburgh is ridiculous. Sure all those rivers and bridges and hills look nice, but you had best know your way or have a good GPS.

Congratulations, Tenemen! What an exciting and terrifying decision, I admire the vision - not to mention testicular fortitude - it takes to follow your dreams. Google has this at 6.5 hours from me, so definitely expect a visit!

btw is this replacing the dojo/gym idea, or did not that end up ocurring? Or am I mixing you up with someone else?

Seth wrote:

btw is this replacing the dojo/gym idea, or did not that end up ocurring? Or am I mixing you up with someone else?

Why can't the dojo/gym be inside a Castle? You sir have no vision.

Dojo, Casino, it's all in the mind...

Rubb Ed wrote:

Dojo, Casino, it's all in the mind...

Betting on fights to the death. It's the next natural progression in castle entertainment.

KrazyTacoFO wrote:
SixteenBlue wrote:
AnimeJ wrote:
Miashara wrote:

Now, remotely on topic, Teneman, you mentioned you were thinking of doing some brewing. Does that include a root beer or something similarly non-alcoholic? Possibly against the spirit of an old timey tavern, I guess.

Even so, I'd hope so as well; you're not the only non-drinking goodjer. :)

Yes, please, to a root beer.

Or a Sarsaparilla like I just made 2 days ago.

Either sounds good. Something for the non-drinkers to spend money on is nice otherwise it is just water... Also our kids might like to it drink too...

Seth wrote:

Congratulations, Tenemen! What an exciting and terrifying decision, I admire the vision - not to mention testicular fortitude - it takes to follow your dreams. Google has this at 6.5 hours from me, so definitely expect a visit!

btw is this replacing the dojo/gym idea, or did not that end up ocurring? Or am I mixing you up with someone else?

Thanks Seth! Extra discount to anyone bearing bottles from Bells... just saying

The martial arts studio didn't happen. It actually fell apart pretty early in the due diligence process. We've looked at a number of businesses over the last few years, you'd be amazed how many of them don't make it through the initial stages of review.

Best of luck. Hopefully your venture turns out less interesting than mine.

Paleocon wrote:

Best of luck. Hopefully your venture turns out less interesting than mine.

Oh god, I hope not. That's still on of my favorite threads.

Paleocon wrote:

Best of luck. Hopefully your venture turns out less interesting than mine.

Though if the castle ends up needing a gas station, I could see a move being in your future

Kick Gas: Let's Get Medieval

Rubb Ed wrote:

Dojo, Casino, it's all in the mind...

Seems this one went over everyone else's head. Not mine though. Good work sir!

Tanglebones wrote:

Kick Gas: Let's Get Medieval

The cost of doing business, just got the barbican trebucheted

KrazyTacoFO wrote:
Tanglebones wrote:

Kick Gas: Let's Get Medieval

The cost of doing business, just got the barbican trebucheted

The excitement of Paleocon's gas station ... in a castle. I can barely wrap my brain around that one.

Tanglebones wrote:
Paleocon wrote:

Best of luck. Hopefully your venture turns out less interesting than mine.

Though if the castle ends up needing a gas station, I could see a move being in your future

Kick Gas: Let's Get Medieval

Gonna Get Medieval On Your Gas

Given the area the castle is in, there probably aren't many competitors nearby. Then again, there probably aren't many customers, either.