Great Big Tracts of Land, or How I Bought a Castle

If anything, I'd charge Goodjers MORE.

Just because.

Gorilla.800.lbs wrote:

If anything, I'd charge Goodjers MORE.

Just because.

Did Gorilla just forfeit his discount?

(although, the supply is the same among Goodjers and non-Goodjers, and the demand would be much higher. He's a true capitalist.)

Probably a lot would depend on whether or not GWJers wreck the joint. Other online groups I've been associated with have been terrible for that sort of thing, just awful, awful, awful. We had one group dinner where the check came up over $100 short, and the hostess was forced to cover out of her own pocket. I mean, people came in, ordered food, ate it, and then didn't pay, to the tune of a hundred dollars! Just nuts. There were a few of us left, and we sort of ended up splitting the loss with the hostess, but we were all really angry.

I would hope that Goodjers would be better, but from past experience with groups that form online, discounts may not last long at all.

Paleocon wrote:

I read him write that all GWJers drink for free.

Fixed for which I'd prefer...

Nevin73 wrote:
Paleocon wrote:

I read him write that all GWJers drink for free.

Fixed for which I'd prefer...

My bad.

Teneman wrote:

All GWJers eat, drink, and stay for free!

Yes an u just hav 2 rejuster 2 get tha diksownt.

Malor wrote:

Probably a lot would depend on whether or not GWJers wreck the joint. Other online groups I've been associated with have been terrible for that sort of thing, just awful, awful, awful. We had one group dinner where the check came up over $100 short, and the hostess was forced to cover out of her own pocket. I mean, people came in, ordered food, ate it, and then didn't pay, to the tune of a hundred dollars! Just nuts. There were a few of us left, and we sort of ended up splitting the loss with the hostess, but we were all really angry.

I would hope that Goodjers would be better, but from past experience with groups that form online, discounts may not last long at all.

Yow. The few times I've gone out with other folks, we've argued over who's paying tip.

AnimeJ wrote:
Malor wrote:

Probably a lot would depend on whether or not GWJers wreck the joint. Other online groups I've been associated with have been terrible for that sort of thing, just awful, awful, awful. We had one group dinner where the check came up over $100 short, and the hostess was forced to cover out of her own pocket. I mean, people came in, ordered food, ate it, and then didn't pay, to the tune of a hundred dollars! Just nuts. There were a few of us left, and we sort of ended up splitting the loss with the hostess, but we were all really angry.

I would hope that Goodjers would be better, but from past experience with groups that form online, discounts may not last long at all.

Yow. The few times I've gone out with other folks, we've argued over who's paying tip.

All the S&T's I've been to, we've never had a problem with that.

AnimeJ wrote:
Malor wrote:

Probably a lot would depend on whether or not GWJers wreck the joint. Other online groups I've been associated with have been terrible for that sort of thing, just awful, awful, awful. We had one group dinner where the check came up over $100 short, and the hostess was forced to cover out of her own pocket. I mean, people came in, ordered food, ate it, and then didn't pay, to the tune of a hundred dollars! Just nuts. There were a few of us left, and we sort of ended up splitting the loss with the hostess, but we were all really angry.

I would hope that Goodjers would be better, but from past experience with groups that form online, discounts may not last long at all.

Yow. The few times I've gone out with other folks, we've argued over who's paying tip.

Never seen Goodjers to stint on paying/tipping.

He's running a business, not a social club. And it's a business in which he doesn't have any experience. He needs to be careful and not confuse Internet good will with guaranteed business or good conduct.

There's no cost to us to imagine going to the castle and come up with cool ideas and have fun suggestions. But we're not paying the bills.

If he treads carefully, I'm sure that he can have successful, friendly, good-for-business GWJ events. But get the basics sorted first.

Paleocon wrote:

All the S&T's I've been to, we've never had a problem with that.

Same.

Though we totally did trash Docbadwrench's house.

Dimmerswitch wrote:

Rubb Ed's suggestion is brilliant. I'd make a minor tweak, since "Here Be Flagons" is shorter, and I've heard the dragon variant minus the "there" far more often than with.

Google agrees.

Not to take anything away from Rubb Ed's post, though - it's a great one.

I've heard with "there" more often, and I think it reads better.

Tanglebones wrote:
AnimeJ wrote:

Yow. The few times I've gone out with other folks, we've argued over who's paying tip.

Never seen Goodjers to stint on paying/tipping.

These are the Goodjers I know. They will be welcome in the castle, and I would love to share a beer with them.

That being said, I have witnessed groups of people - whether formed online or not - who behaved as Malor has described. Sadly, the likelihood of a group acting in such a manner has little to do with the origins of the group, or it's socioeconomic, educational or vocational background. It has to do with the fact that any group is going to contain a certain percentage of scoundrels. Thankfully, GWJ tends to have a lower percentage of such folks. That doesn't mean that any Goodjer who would act in such a manner wouldn't be treated the same as any non-Goodjer and summarily fed to the dragon.

Teneman wrote:
Tanglebones wrote:
AnimeJ wrote:

Yow. The few times I've gone out with other folks, we've argued over who's paying tip.

Never seen Goodjers to stint on paying/tipping.

These are the Goodjers I know. They will be welcome in the castle, and I would love to share a beer with them.

That being said, I have witnessed groups of people - whether formed online or not - who behaved as Malor has described. Sadly, the likelihood of a group acting in such a manner has little to do with the origins of the group, or it's socioeconomic, educational or vocational background. It has to do with the fact that any group is going to contain a certain percentage of scoundrels. Thankfully, GWJ tends to have a lower percentage of such folks. That doesn't mean that any Goodjer who would act in such a manner wouldn't be treated the same as any non-Goodjer and summarily fed to the dragon.

I think we do a pretty decent job of rooting out the scoundrels and tossing them in rhetorical oubliettes. Speaking of which, you totally need one of those. A real one, not a rhetorical one.

Quintin_Stone wrote:
Dimmerswitch wrote:

Rubb Ed's suggestion is brilliant. I'd make a minor tweak, since "Here Be Flagons" is shorter, and I've heard the dragon variant minus the "there" far more often than with.

Google agrees.

Not to take anything away from Rubb Ed's post, though - it's a great one.

I've heard with "there" more often, and I think it reads better.

Fair enough - all else being equal, I tend to favor brevity, and "there" adds nothing to the statement, but reasonable people can disagree.

IMAGE(https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0gYjgg5Bcp2Lj_5cDOg23HPKgHsjdkFlX3SPN4wRoY9vWUQgO)

You need him...in the front yard...on a leash (or not).

'Here there be flagons' doesn't work at all.

Teneman wrote:
Tanglebones wrote:
AnimeJ wrote:

Yow. The few times I've gone out with other folks, we've argued over who's paying tip.

Never seen Goodjers to stint on paying/tipping.

These are the Goodjers I know. They will be welcome in the castle, and I would love to share a beer with them.

That being said, I have witnessed groups of people - whether formed online or not - who behaved as Malor has described. Sadly, the likelihood of a group acting in such a manner has little to do with the origins of the group, or it's socioeconomic, educational or vocational background. It has to do with the fact that any group is going to contain a certain percentage of scoundrels. Thankfully, GWJ tends to have a lower percentage of such folks. That doesn't mean that any Goodjer who would act in such a manner wouldn't be treated the same as any non-Goodjer and summarily proffered to the dragon whilst wearing a BWM-costume.

1Dgaf wrote:

'Here there be flagons' doesn't work at all.

Here. There. Flagons.

Frigin' Skyrim, I tell ya.

CURVED.

SWORDS.

wordsmythe wrote:
1Dgaf wrote:

'Here there be flagons' doesn't work at all.

Here. There. Flagons.

Frigin' Skyrim, I tell ya.

FUSS RO DRUNK!

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/NiG4g.jpg)

There are also apparently lots of other novels with that title, one by James A. Owen, another by Zelazny.

LOL Castle

The need for mead

1Dgaf wrote:

'Here there be flagons' doesn't work at all.

I wouldn't go that far. I just think the shorter version is better.

Quintin_Stone wrote:

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/NiG4g.jpg)

There are also apparently lots of other novels with that title, one by James A. Owen, another by Zelazny.

Ah, the old appeal-to-authority-of-licensed-novella trick.

My rebuttal:

IMAGE(https://img.skitch.com/20120330-juu2ddywy2i34qbi52dffxx2r3.preview.jpg)

More seriously, let's not get so bent out of shape over an extraneous "there" that this thread gets sent to Ye Olde Clevelande.

Well, damn

Anyhow, I still stake my claim on the tagline for the tavern, and if ya don't like it, nurts to you.

Rubb Ed wrote:

Well, damn

Anyhow, I still stake my claim on the tagline for the tavern, and if ya don't like it, nurts to you.

Nuts to Google Fight too. Technically extraneous or not, the "There" makes it sound better.

Besides, I already told the wife we're ordering a sign with "Here There Be Flagons" for the pub. Too late to change it now!

Teneman wrote:
Tanglebones wrote:
AnimeJ wrote:

Yow. The few times I've gone out with other folks, we've argued over who's paying tip.

Never seen Goodjers to stint on paying/tipping.

These are the Goodjers I know. They will be welcome in the castle, and I would love to share a beer with them.

That being said, I have witnessed groups of people - whether formed online or not - who behaved as Malor has described. Sadly, the likelihood of a group acting in such a manner has little to do with the origins of the group, or it's socioeconomic, educational or vocational background. It has to do with the fact that any group is going to contain a certain percentage of scoundrels. Thankfully, GWJ tends to have a lower percentage of such folks. That doesn't mean that any Goodjer who would act in such a manner wouldn't be treated the same as any non-Goodjer and summarily fed to the dragon.

Scoundrels? Surely not. But rapscallions on the other hand. More than a few I'd wager.

I think "Here there be flagons" rolls off the tongue much, much better. It's the wording that used to be on the old maps, as I recall. It just doesn't sound right without the 'there'. It has a funny sound to a modern ear, "here" and "there" in immediate succession, but that's part of what makes it work, in my view.

Trust Rubb Ed's instinct, and use his version. You won't regret it.

I have attended at least four GWJ meetups. All of them have been very well behaved, and three of the four were peopled by folks who are most likely to use Ravenwood for GWJ gatherings - Eastern Ohioans.

You've got nothing to worry about, IMHO, Teneman.

Malor wrote:

I think "Here there be flagons" rolls off the tongue much, much better. It's the wording that used to be on the old maps, as I recall. It just doesn't sound right without the 'there'. It has a funny sound to a modern ear, "here" and "there" in immediate succession, but that's part of what makes it work, in my view.

Here there be a brief writeup, showing that no old maps actually had that text.

NSMike wrote:

I have attended at least four GWJ meetups. All of them have been very well behaved, and three of the four were peopled by folks who are most likely to use Ravenwood for GWJ gatherings - Eastern Ohioans.

You've got nothing to worry about, IMHO, Teneman.

In all fairness, us SW OH folks are about an hour closer. Just sayin.