Baldur's Gate coming back

The thing to keep in mind is that back then, *every* game had janky multiplayer.

True. I've been interested in trying BG1 multiplayer recently, but because I'm using BGT, it hoses the netcode for BG1 so you can't connect to other players.

AnimeJ wrote:

The thing to keep in mind is that back then, *every* game had janky multiplayer.

I disagree. This was after Quake 1 and 2 were both out, along with some of their descendants. Granted, Quake 1 multiplayer was janky as far as connecting.

God, those were the best of times.

I think BG1 had unplayable multi, but for BG2 they worked hard to improve in that regard. I know a lot of people who used to play. I gave it a shot once for like an hour and it was surprisingly interesting.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I put a fair bit of time into BG2 multi, back in the day, and I don't remember being irritated by it, at least not any more than by single player. It still had the 'you must gather your party before venturing forth!" problem, which was probably the worst thing about the game.

I always thought that BG1 multi is only used for singleplayer wanting to roll his/her own party. I never met anyone who played a true BG1 MP. But then again, back then I didn't even know anyone with an internet connection.

I think we did ours on a LAN, not the Internet. I just checked the dates, and we had Internet back then, but I think it was all dialup. Would have been pretty crappy.

College campuses were a good place to find Ethernet back then. Cable modems and DSL existed but weren't widely available.

Malor wrote:

I think we did ours on a LAN, not the Internet. I just checked the dates, and we had Internet back then, but I think it was all dialup. Would have been pretty crappy.

Yeah it was pretty much all dialup back then. I never had a problem with the multi from a connection standpoint, but the dreaded, "You must gather your party" combined with the inability to voice chat made it quite difficult.

Fedaykin98 wrote:
AnimeJ wrote:

The thing to keep in mind is that back then, *every* game had janky multiplayer.

I disagree. This was after Quake 1 and 2 were both out, along with some of their descendants. Granted, Quake 1 multiplayer was janky as far as connecting.

God, those were the best of times.

See, unless you had a LAN handy, you were generally constrained to dialup of some sort or other. Trying to wrangle that in order to play games with folks was a beast.

Why the hell would any damn Baldur's Gate player be interested in an iPad remake? GTFO here, Overhaul Games.

ZaneRockfist wrote:

Why the hell would any damn Baldur's Gate player be interested in an iPad remake? GTFO here, Overhaul Games.

It's coming to PC as well.

Fedaykin98 wrote:

I'm quite surprised by multiplayer support on iPad. Did any of you play multiplayer back in the day? I feel like I always heard it was janky.

I played quite a bit of multiplayer Baldur's Gate back in the day over dialup. I was in a dorm but we didn't have ethernet, just a terribly unreliable 56k serial network connection so we had to resort to dialup. My buddy and I managed to kill Drizzt, it was pretty fantastic. It wasn't a perfect multiplayer implementation but damned if we didn't have a lot of fun with it.

ZaneRockfist wrote:

Why the hell would any damn Baldur's Gate player be interested in an iPad remake?

Because I have an iPad?

wordsmythe wrote:
ZaneRockfist wrote:

Why the hell would any damn Baldur's Gate player be interested in an iPad remake?

Because I have an iPad?

You arent a real gamer

TheGameguru wrote:
wordsmythe wrote:
ZaneRockfist wrote:

Why the hell would any damn Baldur's Gate player be interested in an iPad remake?

Because I have an iPad?

You arent a real gamer

Oh.

Yeah, you're probably right.

wordsmythe wrote:
ZaneRockfist wrote:

Why the hell would any damn Baldur's Gate player be interested in an iPad remake?

Because I have an iPad?

Me too. I shall likely be purchasing both. They'll compliment the other five or so copies I own nicely.

Here's what would sell it for me: PC+iPad bundle with ability to sync saves between two versions.

UCRC wrote:

Here's what would sell it for me: PC+iPad bundle with ability to sync saves between two versions.

That would be amazing, and it's probably too much to hope for. I'll probably wait for reviews to see which version I want to try first.

And regarding dialup gaming, I started playing dialup Doom (1 on 1, direct connection with no internet) the year it came out, so...before 1994, right? And that was a hell of a thing to accomplish, because AFAIK it didn't work right out of the box. I downloaded some files from BBSes that made it work, and then installed them on my friends' computers. Continued with Doom 2 and Duke Nukem 3D. I started playing internet Quake (over dialup thanks to living in literally the last dorm on campus to get wired) in January of 1997. TheWalt and I were both on dialup, playing against a lot of students with Ethernet. Sometime in there, they rolled out cable modem service in our college town. Then came BG1 in about 1998.

wanderingtaoist wrote:

I always thought that BG1 multi is only used for singleplayer wanting to roll his/her own party. I never met anyone who played a true BG1 MP. But then again, back then I didn't even know anyone with an internet connection.

I did, quite a bit. Played at a buddies' house every day after classes. It was a blast.

Word.

wordsmythe wrote:
TheGameguru wrote:
wordsmythe wrote:
ZaneRockfist wrote:

Why the hell would any damn Baldur's Gate player be interested in an iPad remake?

Because I have an iPad?

You arent a real gamer

Oh.

Yeah, you're probably right.

It's cool, Wordy. We can hang, and get all post-modern on these losers. They won't know what hit 'em, and should they find it, it will only matter insofar as their own interpretation of the experience.

TheHipGamer wrote:
wordsmythe wrote:
TheGameguru wrote:
wordsmythe wrote:
ZaneRockfist wrote:

Why the hell would any damn Baldur's Gate player be interested in an iPad remake?

Because I have an iPad?

You arent a real gamer

Oh.

Yeah, you're probably right.

It's cool, Wordy. We can hang, and get all post-modern on these losers. They won't know what hit 'em, and should they find it, it will only matter insofar as their own interpretation of the experience.

huh?

Ulairi wrote:
TheHipGamer wrote:
wordsmythe wrote:
TheGameguru wrote:
wordsmythe wrote:
ZaneRockfist wrote:

Why the hell would any damn Baldur's Gate player be interested in an iPad remake?

Because I have an iPad?

You arent a real gamer

Oh.

Yeah, you're probably right.

It's cool, Wordy. We can hang, and get all post-modern on these losers. They won't know what hit 'em, and should they find it, it will only matter insofar as their own interpretation of the experience.

huh?

Just droppin' relativism on y'all. Don't step; we'll step back, and you'll have to step again.

I'm going to be really intrigued to see how differently I play this game 14 years later.

I was terrible at the combat, so I'd carefully inch my way around an area until an enemy appeared, hit them with a magic missile, then run away to safety; wait for that one dude to come fight me, then go do that to the next dude in the enemy group. I even ended up doing that for the final boss. Somehow that game still stands out as my favorite gaming experience ever.... something to do with story, art design, world design...?

But yeah, I'm going to give it the old college try and attempt to take on full groups of enemies with "strategy" and "cunning" that my adult brain has [hopefully] developed since then...

I'll probably make it an iPad purchase, and just hope and hope it comes to OnLive (I do a lot of my gaming on a number of work computers, so the cloud save mechanic would be key).

TheHipGamer wrote:
Ulairi wrote:
TheHipGamer wrote:
wordsmythe wrote:
TheGameguru wrote:
wordsmythe wrote:
ZaneRockfist wrote:

Why the hell would any damn Baldur's Gate player be interested in an iPad remake?

Because I have an iPad?

You arent a real gamer

Oh.

Yeah, you're probably right.

It's cool, Wordy. We can hang, and get all post-modern on these losers. They won't know what hit 'em, and should they find it, it will only matter insofar as their own interpretation of the experience.

huh?

Just droppin' relativism on y'all. Don't step; we'll step back, and you'll have to step again.

I don't speak english major, sorry.

Ulairi wrote:
TheHipGamer wrote:
Ulairi wrote:
TheHipGamer wrote:
wordsmythe wrote:
TheGameguru wrote:
wordsmythe wrote:
ZaneRockfist wrote:

Why the hell would any damn Baldur's Gate player be interested in an iPad remake?

Because I have an iPad?

You arent a real gamer

Oh.

Yeah, you're probably right.

It's cool, Wordy. We can hang, and get all post-modern on these losers. They won't know what hit 'em, and should they find it, it will only matter insofar as their own interpretation of the experience.

huh?

Just droppin' relativism on y'all. Don't step; we'll step back, and you'll have to step again.

I don't speak english major, sorry.

Swords! Not words!

Ariskany Evan wrote:

I was terrible at the combat, so I'd carefully inch my way around an area until an enemy appeared, hit them with a magic missile, then run away to safety; wait for that one dude to come fight me, then go do that to the next dude in the enemy group. I even ended up doing that for the final boss. Somehow that game still stands out as my favorite gaming experience ever.... something to do with story, art design, world design...? :)

I've been through Baldur's Gate quite a number of times, and I don't think I've ever managed to beat the final encounter without resorting to lame kiting tactics.

4xis.black wrote:
Ariskany Evan wrote:

I was terrible at the combat, so I'd carefully inch my way around an area until an enemy appeared, hit them with a magic missile, then run away to safety; wait for that one dude to come fight me, then go do that to the next dude in the enemy group. I even ended up doing that for the final boss. Somehow that game still stands out as my favorite gaming experience ever.... something to do with story, art design, world design...? :)

I've been through Baldur's Gate quite a number of times, and I don't think I've ever managed to beat the final encounter without resorting to lame kiting tactics.

My tactic wasn't quite this -- I used a ton (TON!) of Summon Monster wands and spells to slow the hordes, and relied on Magic Missile, Fireball, Lightning Bolt, and ranged attacks for as long as possible. This, plus Haste, was the key to my success against the BBEG and most of the nastier boss fights.

I'm planning on playing a Mage just so I have one who specializes in making baddies dead. I never, never played mages back on the day, but I did in Dragon Age just to see what the world outside my box was like; it wasn't bad. Also, mages were OP in DAO, and I AOE'd everything.