Baldur's Gate coming back

Honestly I'd prefer it be InXile rather than Larian.

beanman101283 wrote:

If that's the case, I wonder why Beamdog didn't end up getting to work on it.

Cause they're not great developers?

pyxistyx wrote:

Larian did say they were talking about working on a project with Wizards of the Coast on one of their Div 2 update videos, if memory serves.

That'd be a great choice...providing they can reign in their usual fourth-wall breaking silliness considerably.

Writing wise, Original Sin 2 is much improved over the first game (much like PoE2 vs PoE1). Enough so that I don't think I could go back to either of their first games in those lines -- the companions, for example, in Original Sin 1 tip me over the rage line in a matter of minutes. And yeah, they ripped out most all the slapstick yucks from 1. It was straight up annoying how persistent they were in that title.

As to Legion's inXile comment, I'm waiting to see how W3 goes, but I'm largely unimpressed with their recent-years necrovoodoo work on older franchises.

squeeeee

please let it be good

squeeeee

it better be good

squeeeee

did i mention something about being good?

garion333 wrote:
beanman101283 wrote:

If that's the case, I wonder why Beamdog didn't end up getting to work on it.

Cause they're not great developers?

The stuff they added to BG2 wasn't all that great. I didn't have any real objection to the themes IN the content, but the quality really wasn't there, especially in the scripting. I was disposed to quite like Neera, for instance, but her area was absolutely broken and unplayable when I tried. Rasaad's questline was interesting, but a lot of the scripting was in very bad shape, and it was hard to complete. Possible, but difficult. I just avoid anything of theirs on replays now, and try to stick to the original content as much as possible, because I know that stuff works.

It's quite annoying that they didn't break their additions out into a separate install. Just blending it into the main game feels like drawing a sheep on the Mona Lisa or something.

*Legion* wrote:

Honestly I'd prefer it be InXile rather than Larian.

Why? So InXlile can bugger up yet another beloved franchise?

Granath wrote:
*Legion* wrote:

Honestly I'd prefer it be InXile rather than Larian.

Why? So InXlile can bugger up yet another beloved franchise?

Because Wasteland 2 had the kind of dialogue and quest design that a Baldur's Gate game would need, and Divinity does not.

Budo wrote:

Baldur's Gate 3 is happening!!!

Maybe. But still. MAYBE

From Larian studios? As in Divinity Original Sin 2 Larian Studios?

Any way I can pre-pre-order?

Oh wow. Interesting. I can’t say I’m excited because I’ve always found the idea of Bg3 weird since the story wrapped up so nicely in a Throne of Bhaal. Wait and see, I guess.

Eleima wrote:

Oh wow. Interesting. I can’t say I’m excited because I’ve always found the idea of Bg3 weird since the story wrapped up so nicely in a Throne of Bhaal. Wait and see, I guess.

Considering Baldur's Gate is just the name of the main city in the first game, having the second game being called Baldur's Gate 2 didn't make much sense either. A game set hundreds of years after the original games in the city of Baldur's Gate again is something I'd definitely like to see.

Return to Amn would be cool too :).

NEEDS MORE MINSC

What's the average life span of a miniature giant space hamster?

Arise!

Baldurs Gate and all the other games Beamdog updated are coming to....console.

https://www.skybound.com/games/beamd...

First thought: meh.

Second thought: wait... Switch?

They didn't announce any platforms, which seems like something one would do, but ...

I'm totes repurchasing the LOT if they show up on Switch. Just sayin'

This is great news!

I was mightily impressed with the TLC that went into the Planescape remaster a couple years back. Feels like they put a lot of effort into it.

Does anyone have any experience playing any of these Enhanced Editions with a controller on PC? Curious on what to expect with the console ports.

pyxistyx wrote:

I'm totes repurchasing the LOT if they show up on Switch. Just sayin'

Yuuuup.

The next time I play Wasteland 2 is going to be on the Switch. If these come out on Switch, then the same's gonna go for all of them (provided reviews say that they're not trash ports).

Aaron D. wrote:

Does anyone have any experience playing any of these Enhanced Editions with a controller on PC? Curious on what to expect with the console ports.

I'm pretty certain none of them have gamepad support.

Baldur's Gate III incoming: http://larian.com/

Here's the best confirmation we have: https://twitter.com/aquagiraffe88/st...

omg omg omg

Dear god.

Well if anyone can fill those shoes in 2019, it's Larian Studios.

Strange, I keep throwing money at the screen but nothing is happening.

Huh. HUH.

I'm playing through D:OS EE right now with a buddy and am really looking forward to going through D:OS 2 DE with him. I hope this has the same capacity for co-op. It's DnD, dang it!

Great, now I'm gonna have to go and actually start Child of Baal

Yeah, the 2 D:OS games were great on their own, but I REALLY enjoyed them co-op. Hoping that is something they bring with this to to a new Baldur's Gate game.

It's weird, I remember having a good time with the original Baldur's Gate games but I have more fond memories of Icewind Dale, simply because I played most of it co-op with a friend.

That’s crazy.

Despite being a rabid fan of Baldur’s Gate (particularly 2), Icewind Dale’s, Planescape: Torment back in the day, I didn’t get on with Divinity: Original Sin.
So I’m not sure how I feel about this news. For me, BG3 has no meaning. My Bhaalspawn consistently decide to give up their divine heritage. So unless we’re doing a se-prequel...
I don’t know. Color me skeptical for the moment.

Eleima wrote:

Despite being a rabid fan of Baldur’s Gate (particularly 2), Icewind Dale’s, Planescape: Torment back in the day, I didn’t get on with Divinity: Original Sin.
So I’m not sure how I feel about this news. For me, BG3 has no meaning. My Bhaalspawn consistently decide to give up their divine heritage. So unless we’re doing a se-prequel...
I don’t know. Color me skeptical for the moment.

I guess they would pick one of the possible main endings from the other side of things to be canon?

In any case, I am hyped. BG as a huge part of my late teens and transition to adulthood... I get a little misty just remembering... Damn onion-choppin' ninjas... But yeah, this makes me somewhat happy.

Ugh. Mixed feelings. I really want more Baldur's Gate, but extremely skeptical of Larian being the ones to do it.

Haven't played D:OS 2 yet, but D:OS 1's characters and story were dreadfully dull, and the "funny" bits of dialogue weren't.

*Legion* wrote:

Haven't played D:OS 2 yet, but D:OS 1's characters and story were dreadfully dull, and the "funny" bits of dialogue weren't.

They hired actual writers for OS 2 and it’s pretty great. OS 1 has, in my opinion, and extremely boring and poorly told story. OS 2 changes the focus to be on the characters and made all of them interesting. It gives me hope for this as that’s such a driving force of the previous games.

I can’t imagine this will be a direct sequel. Probably something like 50 years in the future. Has call backs, factions, and events that took place but tell a new story.