Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Catch-All – Shepards with Jobs

BadKen wrote:
CptGlanton wrote:

Finally got a Venom. It's awful.

ORLY.

Mass Effect Wiki and BadKen's Experience wrote:

In the right hands, this is the most destructive weapon in the game with the fastest time to kill any unit.

There is nothing quite like using the Venom's charged shot to blast some Cannibals into giblets.

After posting that I used the Venom on the EDI Bot and quite liked it. I don't see how it could kill things faster than a Harrier on a TGI, though. Granted I have been using a Harrier VII while I only have a Venom II.

PS, I also got a Harrier VIII last night. That brings me to 6 guns this weekend, the highest rate I have had since I finished out the Rates, probably.

BadKen wrote:
SpacePPoliceman wrote:

Tips? Mine must be the wrong hands, like Cpt, I found the Venom to be garbage, but I only used it once.

Well, I'm no ME3 pro, the Venom is basically just a grenade launcher with a charged shot. With the Venom I would aim at the ground for unarmored enemies, or at the edge of cover to blast them out of cover. If launching them airborne isn't enough to kill them, a second shot center mass will do it.

You can also take out groups of unarmored enemies by bouncing a charged shot off a wall or the floor. It splits into multiple grenades for a kind of AOE effect.

For bigger enemies, armored or shielded or whatever, fully charge up a shot and hit the body a couple times to take them down. Charged shots will obliterate lesser enemies.

I imagine the Venom might suck on Platinum because using it effectively might require you to be out of cover more than you want. You can charge it up in cover and pop out for a quick blast though.

Here's an interesting video of Venom gameplay on Gold:

I agree that the Drell VG is a good player, but the armored enemies he was fighting at the beginning of that video are not really dying quickly.. In the moments when he is only damaging them only with the Venom, and factoring in the long time it takes to charge a shot, I don't see anything there to raise it above "very good." While I enjoy bouncing mooks around, several other builds kill them instantly.

Now very good is a lot better than I thought it was at first, I will keep using it. But I don't see its being the gun that kills anything the fastest.

Man, Harrier VIII. I need to start getting PSPs again.

I've been running with the Asari Huntress recently and dunno why it took me so long to try her. The TC augmented Dark Channel is ridiculous.

complexmath wrote:

Man, Harrier VIII. I need to start getting PSPs again.

I've been running with the Asari Huntress recently and dunno why it took me so long to try her. The TC augmented Dark Channel is ridiculous.

The Asari Huntress is boss. I don't know if it's actually more effective or anything, but if you spec for duration on cloak, you can throw out DC and Warp (setting off an explosion) while under the same cloak. At the very least, the speed helps. Regardless, it's a great class--I've saved many a scrub gold team who didn't deserve my heroism by soloing Reaper waves with it.

That would require the two-power TC evolution though right? Wouldn't you lose the power damage evolution then?

complexmath wrote:

That would require the two-power TC evolution though right? Wouldn't you lose the power damage evolution then?

Yeah, so I'm not sure if it's worthwhile. But it's cool!

It might be more survivable because you can safely attack from cloak. But it won't kill things as fast.

Of course killing all your enemies as quickly as possible can be survivable too.

I definitely built her that way the first time I tried her because I liked that power on a previous infiltrator. But realizing how much damage she in particular gains from the other evo, it seems like the way to go.

With the power damage TC evo you can really just cloak, DC something, then run away and expect it to die before DC wears off (an incredible 30 seconds later). For bosses I'll do the cloak DC shoot warp shoot cloak DC loop, but mostly because I'm impatient. I don't feel like I ever really need to try for a second biotic combo with the DC damage as high as it is. Maybe that will change in gold though. So far I've just been runnig bronze and silver with low-end ARs.

Detonations are definitely much more important on Gold, but I've found they're often a hindrance on lower difficulties, where, yeah, like you said, stuff often is practically dead from one power. Point remains, the Huntress is great.

Random question: does anyone know what causes the sparkly Collector Husks to emit a tech burst when they die? It seems like if you only shoot them they'll pop but no full on tech burst. And as a side note to new multi players, if you see a sparkly husk when fighting Collectors, don't kill it at short range. I watched my team wipe repeatedly doing that last night.

complexmath wrote:

Random question: does anyone know what causes the sparkly Collector Husks to emit a tech burst when they die? It seems like if you only shoot them they'll pop but no full on tech burst. And as a side note to new multi players, if you see a sparkly husk when fighting Collectors, don't kill it at short range. I watched half my team wipe repeatedly doing that last night.

Yeah. Regular Collector Husks blow up a little bit when they die, enough to stagger and knock down at least your shields. All Collector enemies can become Possessed, seemingly at random, and a Possessed Husk causes a massive, team-wiping explosion. If they are decapitated/head-shot, they won't explode, but I prefer to stay the hell away. I think, but won't swear, that the N7 Shadow's Shadow Strike power will decapitate them--I remember reading something about it in Update notes, but that was most assuredly not the case in the beginning.

Collector's kinda suck.

Oh it's possession! The visual effect on Husks must be more subtle than the other Collectors. I never made that connection. For me it's just been: black husk don't worry, sparklies run the hell away. I'll have to try the Shadow Strike and see what happens.

I really don't mind Collectors much overall though. Praetorians are really not too bad as the big boss monster. Well... at least one at a time. A bunch together is pretty insane. Okay I agree with you. Collectors suck

complexmath wrote:

Oh it's possession! The visual effect on Husks must be more subtle than the other Collectors. I never made that connection. For me it's just been: black husk don't worry, sparklies run the hell away. I'll have to try the Shadow Strike and see what happens.

Possessed Husks get barriers, too, but yeah, Husks are already sort of glowey, they do get missed until they're in Bad range.

SpacePPoliceman wrote:
complexmath wrote:

Oh it's possession! The visual effect on Husks must be more subtle than the other Collectors. I never made that connection. For me it's just been: black husk don't worry, sparklies run the hell away. I'll have to try the Shadow Strike and see what happens.

Possessed Husks get barriers, too, but yeah, Husks are already sort of glowey, they do get missed until they're in Bad range.

Okay, I just figured out my confusion, and it was just as you said above: headshots kill them without an explosion. That explains why it seemed like guns would sometimes not make them explode. I had thought it was somehow related to using powers on them, but that's just because you can't headshot with Warp or whatever. I certainly don't trust my aim enough to risk a point-blank kill vs. one though.

SpacePPoliceman wrote:

I think, but won't swear, that the N7 Shadow's Shadow Strike power will decapitate them--I remember reading something about it in Update notes, but that was most assuredly not the case in the beginning.

Collector's kinda suck.

This is a big no on this one. I was playing with a Shadow yesterday who kept getting downed because they kept using Shadow Strike on the Possessed Husks. After one or two you would think they would have figured out not to do that but they never did.

P.S. Think they were just doing the noob move of hitting Shadow Strike without cloaking first so maybe if you cloak you can get them without the explosion.

Bruce wrote:

Are the uncommon weapon mods and gear a different category of uncommon? Since I filled my uncommon weapon slots I've been getting nothing but ammo III out of the veteran packs.

Not a different rarity, but they are a different pool from weapons as far as I know. And, as you're finding out, characters are of course their own pool that never truly go away, just turn into ammo.

CptGlanton wrote:

I don't see how it could kill things faster than a Harrier on a TGI, though.

If that is the standard, though, just about everything in this game besides that combo sucks. Just sayin.

Rykin wrote:

This is a big no on this one. I was playing with a Shadow yesterday who kept getting downed because they kept using Shadow Strike on the Possessed Husks. After one or two you would think they would have figured out not to do that but they never did.

P.S. Think they were just doing the noob move of hitting Shadow Strike without cloaking first so maybe if you cloak you can get them without the explosion.

I consulted the Wiki, and it claims a Heavy Melee from a few classes will do it (N7 Shadow included), but does not mention Shadow Strike.

Kloreep wrote:
CptGlanton wrote:

I don't see how it could kill things faster than a Harrier on a TGI, though.

If that is the standard, though, just about everything in this game besides that combo sucks. Just sayin. ;)

I didn't say the Venom sucks after I had given it a fair shake. But Ken said the Venom killed things faster than anything else, and I said I doubted that.

Speaking of, recently I have been using the Krogan Soldier and Batarian Adept. Both are quite good. I think I might try the Batarian Soldier again too.

I'll have to give the Batarians a try after I've finished the Huntress. For whatever reason, I've completely ignored them thus far. They do seem really durable though.

complexmath wrote:

I'll have to give the Batarians a try after I've finished the Huntress. For whatever reason, I've completely ignored them thus far. They do seem really durable though.

The extra clip size comes in really handy with certain loadouts. Take the Particle Rifle, which gets more destructive the longer you shoot it; a Batarian set for magazine size can shoot that thing a really, really long time. Throw in the durability of Blade Armor, and I've always really liked the Batarians. Submission Net's great as well. Personal favorite is the Vanguard; hold down heavy melee when charging, and it finally executes just as the enemy is recovering from the stagger. Charge, heavy melee, shotgun to face, rinse, repeat.

CptGlanton wrote:

Speaking of, recently I have been using the Krogan Soldier and Batarian Adept. Both are quite good.

I've never felt effective with the Batarian Adept, any tips? I tried going for a combo build, I think, and just felt like I wanted to go back to Warp + Throw instead.

CptGlanton wrote:

I think I might try the Batarian Soldier again too.

Those blades are surprisingly effective at preventing enemies from unloading on you, so long as you don't get surrounded. I like to use him with a shotgun (Wraith usually) but I imagine a melee build would be effective as well.

And of course, you can always ignore that one cooldown power and just go full bore on weapons instead.

Batarian Adept: I skipped Lash and focused on combos with Warp and Grenades. Not the best class ever, but it's nice to get biotic powers and health/shields too. Just be ready to use lot of ammo clips.

Batarians are fantastic. Their passives are really strong - high health/shields, great weapon damage bonuses and + ammo makes the best guns even better (Harrier, Reegar). It even makes marginal guns like the Suppressor Pistol viable. You're still going to hug ammo crates but I found the extra ammo very noticeable, and the Soldier's Incendiary Grenades are suprisingly good - huge radius (after upgrades) and they set up fire explosions nicely. I've found that batarians' high health + blade armor make gold noticeably easier.

For the Batarian Adept, I recommend using Warp + Cluster Grenade to set off combo explosions - it's hilariously destructive and sends enemies flying for miles. Warp + Lash isn't nearly as good, but Lash is great against phantoms. I recommend a 6/6/6/4/4 build if you want to have lash, otherwise skip it and go 6/0/6/6/6 and take the bonuses to weapon damage and health/shields.

The only issue I have with classes notable for their passives is that you really need to back them up with a solid weapon, which can be tricky for newer players. Still, it was interesting watching videos of Batarians killing Primes in melee range. I guess that's one way around the Prime's devastating ranged fire.

Speaking of the Venom: it seems to me that it does a bit more damage when targeted just in front of the enemy than directly at the enemy when doing a charge shot. By hitting with the splash damage and then letting the three micro grenades bounce into them it seemed like it did a bit more damage.

Just did a 16:17 Gold run, vs Geth on Glacier Hazard.

I got a Venom III now, pushing me ever so slightly closer to trying it again.

Contrast: I still only have a Harrier I.

That Batarian Vanguard is pretty fun.

I would kill for a piercing mod of any kind...

Bruce wrote:

I would kill for a piercing mod of any kind...

Yeah, the itemization model is pretty awesome, huh. I'm in a similar position with Cyclonics, though in that case at least there's a permanent shield mod available, even if it is only 25%. On my Fury it means losing the Geth scanner though, which is a poor exchange.

complexmath wrote:
Bruce wrote:

I would kill for a piercing mod of any kind...

Yeah, the itemization model is pretty awesome, huh. I'm in a similar position with Cyclonics, though in that case at least there's a permanent shield mod available, even if it is only 25%. On my Fury it means losing the Geth scanner though, which is a poor exchange.

There is always something I need/want to use more than the Geth Scanner even though it is a very awesome ability. Especially when running something with a lot of penetration. With the help of Hunter Mode I have shot enemies through the thick walls on Giant using the Widow and Executioner Pistol.