PAX East 2012 Catch All & GWJ Meetup

TheHipGamer wrote:

By the by: is there anything we locals can do for fellow Goodjers on their way into town?

Finger -> Butt

I'm sooooooooooooooo excited!! last year's was so fun. We have to get a good group of L4D2 ppl!! I promise I won't curse this year.

I'll be able to grab my badge soon, and probably a hotel room.

What's the prices looking like for hotels? I'd like one reasonably close, but I'll also need it for Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. It's gonna be expensive.

Quintin_Stone wrote:
TheHipGamer wrote:

By the by: is there anything we locals can do for fellow Goodjers on their way into town?

Finger -> Butt

You promised that the last time was the last time. You're a fingerbutt liar.

I booked my flight over the weekend. I didn't manage to book early enough to get a hotel within any reasonable distance, but I'll be there.

(and at the Hyatt Regency)

Does anyone have any experience with the shuttles from far flung hotels? I procrastinated and now all the hotels that are anywhere near the BCEC are booked solid. I'd still like to go but if the shuttle situation sucks then I think I might just wait until next year. Thanks in advance for the help.

padriec wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with the shuttles from far flung hotels? I procrastinated and now all the hotels that are anywhere near the BCEC are booked solid. I'd still like to go but if the shuttle situation sucks then I think I might just wait until next year. Thanks in advance for the help.

Which hotels are you thinking of? I'm not sure what the shuttle situation is, but as a Boston native, it's pretty easy to get to the BCEC from a variety of other transportation methods, if you don't mind a short walk.

TheHipGamer wrote:
padriec wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with the shuttles from far flung hotels? I procrastinated and now all the hotels that are anywhere near the BCEC are booked solid. I'd still like to go but if the shuttle situation sucks then I think I might just wait until next year. Thanks in advance for the help.

Which hotels are you thinking of? I'm not sure what the shuttle situation is, but as a Boston native, it's pretty easy to get to the BCEC from a variety of other transportation methods, if you don't mind a short walk.

Probably the Hyatt or the Omni. Public transport would be fine, but if the shuttles can do it just as well I'd like to save the money. Of course if the public transport is cheap then that doesn't matter as much. Thanks again for the help.

padriec wrote:
TheHipGamer wrote:
padriec wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with the shuttles from far flung hotels? I procrastinated and now all the hotels that are anywhere near the BCEC are booked solid. I'd still like to go but if the shuttle situation sucks then I think I might just wait until next year. Thanks in advance for the help.

Which hotels are you thinking of? I'm not sure what the shuttle situation is, but as a Boston native, it's pretty easy to get to the BCEC from a variety of other transportation methods, if you don't mind a short walk.

Probably the Hyatt or the Omni. Public transport would be fine, but if the shuttles can do it just as well I'd like to save the money. Of course if the public transport is cheap then that doesn't matter as much. Thanks again for the help.

$1.25 for the subway (the "T") to South Station, from which you'd hop on the #7 MBTA bus (a dollar or less, not sure off the top of my head, as I rarely use buses locally) that runs right over to the BCEC. Both the Hyatt and Omni are within walking distance of a couple of different subway stations, and it would be easy to get to South Station from them.

$20 tops on a Charlie Card (the MBTA ticket for riding both services) would get you to and from all weekend.

Last I checked there was a hotel with decent room prices with a shuttle about 1.7 miles from the Convention Center, but I've been waiting on some friends to tell me if they can go or not before booking the place. I also need to check through the Not Penny Arcade site since some of those deals aren't actually the best.

If two Goodjers are still looking for Hotel space, or need two folks in their Hotel space, let me know.

TheHipGamer wrote:

$1.25 for the subway (the "T") to South Station, from which you'd hop on the #7 MBTA bus (a dollar or less, not sure off the top of my head, as I rarely use buses locally) that runs right over to the BCEC. Both the Hyatt and Omni are within walking distance of a couple of different subway stations, and it would be easy to get to South Station from them.

Or, from South Station, take the Silver Line to the World Trade Center stop and walk a few blocks.

kincher skolfax wrote:
TheHipGamer wrote:

$1.25 for the subway (the "T") to South Station, from which you'd hop on the #7 MBTA bus (a dollar or less, not sure off the top of my head, as I rarely use buses locally) that runs right over to the BCEC. Both the Hyatt and Omni are within walking distance of a couple of different subway stations, and it would be easy to get to South Station from them.

Or, from South Station, take the Silver Line to the World Trade Center stop and walk a few blocks.

Or just walk from South Station - if the weather's not too bad, it's a nice jaunt.

Tanglebones wrote:
kincher skolfax wrote:
TheHipGamer wrote:

$1.25 for the subway (the "T") to South Station, from which you'd hop on the #7 MBTA bus (a dollar or less, not sure off the top of my head, as I rarely use buses locally) that runs right over to the BCEC. Both the Hyatt and Omni are within walking distance of a couple of different subway stations, and it would be easy to get to South Station from them.

Or, from South Station, take the Silver Line to the World Trade Center stop and walk a few blocks.

Or just walk from South Station - if the weather's not too bad, it's a nice jaunt.

With my luck it'll be a freakin' hurricane. Good ideas though, thanks.

kincher skolfax wrote:
TheHipGamer wrote:

$1.25 for the subway (the "T") to South Station, from which you'd hop on the #7 MBTA bus (a dollar or less, not sure off the top of my head, as I rarely use buses locally) that runs right over to the BCEC. Both the Hyatt and Omni are within walking distance of a couple of different subway stations, and it would be easy to get to South Station from them.

Or, from South Station, take the Silver Line to the World Trade Center stop and walk a few blocks.

Very true. For what it's worth, the Silver Line is a bus as well -- if it was me, and I was at SS, I would prefer to get dropped at the door to the BCEC. In reality, since my office is nearby, I'll just park in the lot I use for work and walk the mile to the center.

Joystiq just posted a thing saying 3-day badges are 90% gone, so I went ahead and got mine.

This'll be my first PAX and my first GWJ meetup. I might also see if anyone minds me bumming around the show floor with them, as I'm flying solo.

I'm actually moving to Massachusetts the week before PAX, which is pretty scary.

Blind_Evil wrote:

Joystiq just posted a thing saying 3-day badges are 90% gone, so I went ahead and got mine.

This'll be my first PAX and my first GWJ meetup. I might also see if anyone minds me bumming around the show floor with them, as I'm flying solo.

I'm actually moving to Massachusetts the week before PAX, which is pretty scary.

Hit up the board game area, there were a bunch of us there last time and I have a feeling there will be a few of us there again this year.

I finally defeated my procrastination and registered for all three days for Wisiwig and I. We'll be staying at the Hyatt Regency (suboptimal, but it's better than a park bench).

Hey Hip, any idea how last public transit runs around there? I'd like to be able to stay out a little late.

If my friend can't get a 3-Day pass then I may need a spot in a hotel room. Whee!

If the weather is nice I definitely recommend just between South Station and the BCEC. It's less than 10 minutes and the food options are definitely better once you get out of the BCEC.

padriec wrote:

Hey Hip, any idea how last public transit runs around there? I'd like to be able to stay out a little late.

I'm not hip, but the T starts to shut down between 12 and 12:30 am (depending on the station) for some stupid reason. It's a touch inconvenient even for locals.

As is usual, I waited too long to get a room at the Seaport. Anyone have space there for me to fill? I'm planning on going all three days. Otherwise, out of what's left, what can you recommend?

padriec wrote:

Hey Hip, any idea how last public transit runs around there? I'd like to be able to stay out a little late.

The T stops running at midnight, give or take a half hour depending upon station. It's not terribly convenient, but taxis are always an option if you get stuck; worst case scenario, you'll have to hike over to South Station to nab one, but they are plentiful there.

cyrax wrote:

As is usual, I waited too long to get a room at the Seaport. Anyone have space there for me to fill? I'm planning on going all three days. Otherwise, out of what's left, what can you recommend?

Either the Omni or the Park Plaza.

cyrax wrote:

As is usual, I waited too long to get a room at the Seaport. Anyone have space there for me to fill? I'm planning on going all three days. Otherwise, out of what's left, what can you recommend?

My friends are lagging and I don't think they'll be able to get badges in time, so if you're willing to split a room I'll go halfsies (and see if I can grab any other folks, too). But, I was planning on getting a room Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights and then checking out Monday.

Which is why I'm a big annoyed my friends haven't hurried up on this. Gotta nag 'em.

Maybe the fact that we're out of three days and they had better move it if they're going to buy daily passes will give them that kick in the pants they need, ccesarano. See http://east.paxsite.com/index.php for more details.

Bah, I was afraid of that. I don't know how the single days work. Could they buy a single day pass for all three days? Considering their limitation of three day passes due to number of people, I imagine that's a no go, and I can't imagine someone wanting to stay for so many days in a hotel if they aren't getting all three Convention days.

TheHipGamer wrote:
padriec wrote:
TheHipGamer wrote:
padriec wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with the shuttles from far flung hotels? I procrastinated and now all the hotels that are anywhere near the BCEC are booked solid. I'd still like to go but if the shuttle situation sucks then I think I might just wait until next year. Thanks in advance for the help.

Which hotels are you thinking of? I'm not sure what the shuttle situation is, but as a Boston native, it's pretty easy to get to the BCEC from a variety of other transportation methods, if you don't mind a short walk.

Probably the Hyatt or the Omni. Public transport would be fine, but if the shuttles can do it just as well I'd like to save the money. Of course if the public transport is cheap then that doesn't matter as much. Thanks again for the help.

$1.25 for the subway (the "T") to South Station, from which you'd hop on the #7 MBTA bus (a dollar or less, not sure off the top of my head, as I rarely use buses locally) that runs right over to the BCEC. Both the Hyatt and Omni are within walking distance of a couple of different subway stations, and it would be easy to get to South Station from them.

$20 tops on a Charlie Card (the MBTA ticket for riding both services) would get you to and from all weekend.

$1.25 is the charlie card bus rate ($1.50 without charlie card). The subway is $1.70 w charlie card or $2.00 without. That said, you can get a 7 day "link pass" covering "Unlimited travel on Subway, Local Bus, Inner Harbor Ferry, and Commuter Rail Zone 1A" for $15.00, so that would probably be the way to go.

ElectricPi wrote:
TheHipGamer wrote:
padriec wrote:
TheHipGamer wrote:
padriec wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with the shuttles from far flung hotels? I procrastinated and now all the hotels that are anywhere near the BCEC are booked solid. I'd still like to go but if the shuttle situation sucks then I think I might just wait until next year. Thanks in advance for the help.

Which hotels are you thinking of? I'm not sure what the shuttle situation is, but as a Boston native, it's pretty easy to get to the BCEC from a variety of other transportation methods, if you don't mind a short walk.

Probably the Hyatt or the Omni. Public transport would be fine, but if the shuttles can do it just as well I'd like to save the money. Of course if the public transport is cheap then that doesn't matter as much. Thanks again for the help.

$1.25 for the subway (the "T") to South Station, from which you'd hop on the #7 MBTA bus (a dollar or less, not sure off the top of my head, as I rarely use buses locally) that runs right over to the BCEC. Both the Hyatt and Omni are within walking distance of a couple of different subway stations, and it would be easy to get to South Station from them.

$20 tops on a Charlie Card (the MBTA ticket for riding both services) would get you to and from all weekend.

$1.25 is the charlie card bus rate ($1.50 without charlie card). The subway is $1.70 w charlie card or $2.00 without. That said, you can get a 7 day "link pass" covering "Unlimited travel on Subway, Local Bus, Inner Harbor Ferry, and Commuter Rail Zone 1A" for $15.00, so that would probably be the way to go.

D'oh. Thanks for clearing that up; I've not taken the T regularly in a few years.

ccesarano wrote:

Bah, I was afraid of that. I don't know how the single days work. Could they buy a single day pass for all three days? Considering their limitation of three day passes due to number of people, I imagine that's a no go, and I can't imagine someone wanting to stay for so many days in a hotel if they aren't getting all three Convention days.

You can get all three days, but at about $40 more than a 3-day would have cost. Even then, they should hustle up if they intend to go. If none of your friends make it we can pal around, and tell each other how the other is wrong about the newest Blind Guardian album.

I missed out on the 3-day. Nabbed tickets for Saturday and Sunday; Friday, I shall hang out with friends and play games at my house. It's way cooler than the BCEC, anyways, so THERE.

ccesarano wrote:

Bah, I was afraid of that. I don't know how the single days work. Could they buy a single day pass for all three days? Considering their limitation of three day passes due to number of people, I imagine that's a no go, and I can't imagine someone wanting to stay for so many days in a hotel if they aren't getting all three Convention days.

You can just buy the three single days with no problem.

edit - removed bit about comparative pricing - didn't realize the price of the singles had gone up.

One other thing about the MBTA Charlie Cards: any fare you pay on the bus/subway is applied toward any transfers you make during your trip. Which means free transfer from subway->busses, and you'll pay a reduced rate on the subway ($0.45, the difference between a CharlieCard bus ticket and CharlieCard subway ticket) if you transfer from a bus. Depending on how much travel you plan to do around the city, I agree the weekly pass makes a good amount of sense since you're looking at $3.40 for a single round trip to/from the BCEC. Since this is a 3 day event that's a minimum of $10.20 on T travel if you're here for the entire expo. I don't think the single day pass is probably worth it, but ymmv. Since the weekly/daily passes go on a CharlieCard it's in your best interest to acquire one no matter what option you use.

For the iPhone users I strongly recommend grabbing Catch the Bus from the app store if you know you'll be using the busses. I use this regularly since I actually life in one of the surrounding towns/cities which has bus service to the subway system, and unfortunately the busses get off their schedules pretty easily where I live. It's really handy as it provides the current GPS positioning of busses on their routes and gives fairly accurate estimates of when the next bus will arrive for a stop. You can take a look at other apps (iOS/Android/etc) on the MBTA website here.

TheHipGamer wrote:

I missed out on the 3-day. Nabbed tickets for Saturday and Sunday; Friday, I shall hang out with friends and play games at my house. It's way cooler than the BCEC, anyways, so THERE.

I think the only thing you really lose out on Friday is smaller crowds in the Expo hall. Well, that and an extra day of PAX stuff to do.