The Walking Dead (from Telltale Games) - Catch All

hbi2k wrote:
Spoiler:

If there had been a "offer to give her the mercy stroke with your ax" option, I would've taken that, but there wasn't. It was one of the few points in the game so far where I feel the moral choice the writers were trying to give you was overshadowed by practical considerations they clearly didn't consider.

Spoiler:

Damn man, that's pretty harsh to turn into a straight executioner like that. I mean yeah, you're still going that route by using the gun, but at least that's cleaner and she was the one who would be doing it. There's no guarentee that an ax would be clean or done in one stroke and you'd have to be swinging the axe yourself on someone who was still alive at that point. Just seems a little more extreme than the situation called for.

Plus, you ran a car into a zombie and the side of the house with no real reaction from zombies 50 feet away. Since there wasn't any indication there were more zombies in the vicinity of the motor innn, I didn't really consider the gun shot as alerting any more zombies that I hadn't already killed.

Quick semi-realistic question: Does a pillow lose it's usefulness as a silencer after the first shot? I was a little confused why it just disappeared after killing the first zombie.

Stele wrote:
Grubber788 wrote:

I have had no moral qualms with anything I've done so far, and that includes a lot of murder. I'm pretty sure every time I am presented with the opportunity to murder someone, I've always done it. I'm playing as a bad guy if I compare myself with a lot of the people posting here, but in my mind, I would do anything to protect Clementine.

Spoiler:

Although I killed Larry out of self-preservation. I didn't forget you laying me out when zombies were swarming the pharmacy, asshole.

Haha. Of course we would agree with vengeance, you Boron-hater you. ;)

Regarding Larry and Lily:

Spoiler:

I'm with you guys as well. Lily should have spent some (any!) amount of time convincing her dad to stop being an unrepentant asshole instead of bitching at me about how I just needed to cut the guy some slack. So when push came to shove I sided with Kenny, my closest friend so far. The decision of who to side with wasn't a difficult one in that regard, but Kenny rushed the timing. I definitely wanted to examine the situation more closely before killing Larry, but the rules of the game don't let you stop and evaluate before making a choice.

CptDomano wrote:
Spoiler:

Plus, you ran a car into a zombie and the side of the house with no real reaction from zombies 50 feet away. Since there wasn't any indication there were more zombies in the vicinity of the motor innn, I didn't really consider the gun shot as alerting any more zombies that I hadn't already killed.

That's kind of interesting, because I...

Spoiler:

...pinned the zombie with the car LAST, as I assumed the others would notice. My order as: walker by the pick-up truck, walker in-between the wall and the RV, walker with letter jacket (whistle), other walker pounding on door... and then car-rolling guy.

'The Walking Dead Episodes 1 and 2' free with PlayStation Plus

The Verge wrote:

Telltale Games' The Walking Dead Episodes 1 and 2 will be made available to PlayStation Plus users for free as part of the PlayStation 3 Instant Game Collection beginning August 7th.

SommerMatt wrote:
HedgeWizard wrote:

I don't think I want to read the comics.

I read all 100 issues over three days. If you're liking the game, you definitely should give it a shot.

That's my dilemma. I really like my experience with the game (and watched the 1st season of the show when it aired), but I don't think I want to explore that world anymore given how bleak it sounds. I'm really taxed just making it through the game. Though I'm eager for the next chapter, that sh*t just really brings me down.

trueheart78 wrote:

'The Walking Dead Episodes 1 and 2' free with PlayStation Plus

The Verge wrote:

Telltale Games' The Walking Dead Episodes 1 and 2 will be made available to PlayStation Plus users for free as part of the PlayStation 3 Instant Game Collection beginning August 7th.

Sunnuva bitch.

HedgeWizard wrote:
SommerMatt wrote:
HedgeWizard wrote:

I don't think I want to read the comics.

I read all 100 issues over three days. If you're liking the game, you definitely should give it a shot.

That's my dilemma. I really like my experience with the game (and watched the 1st season of the show when it aired), but I don't think I want to explore that world anymore given how bleak it sounds. I'm really taxed just making it through the game. Though I'm eager for the next chapter, that sh*t just really brings me down.

Well... I agree with you to a certain point: the comics get seriously dark and f*cked up, and characters go DOWN. I've always been a sucker for the whole "collapse of society"/apocalypse stories, though, so there's something there that just keeps me wondering what's going to happen next. Given the situation, you know there's not going to be any kind of happy ending... it just becomes about how to live in/adapt to this new reality.

I'd like to read the comics, but I think the show may have made a mistake by opening with one of the main characters shooting a zombified little girl in the head. I understand that it's a gritty show and stuff like that will happen, but it's different to kick off the entire series with such a scene. It pretty much eliminated any chance that my wife would ever watch the show on the spot, and made me feel like they were more interested testing boundaries than in telling a good story.

SommerMatt wrote:

That's kind of interesting, because I...

Spoiler:

...pinned the zombie with the car LAST, as I assumed the others would notice. My order as: walker by the pick-up truck, walker in-between the wall and the RV, walker with letter jacket (whistle), other walker pounding on door... and then car-rolling guy.

Oh, maybe I didn't explain it right...

Spoiler:

I took out the zombie by the car with the pillow--then grabbed the icepick from the truck with the spark plug I found in the car (which, btw...I had no idea that was possible until Glenn said something about it), stabby stabbed the other two, THEN used the car. The zombies 50 feet away I was talking about were the two up by the boarded in girl.

As I recall, the comic series opens completely differently.

SommerMatt wrote:
trueheart78 wrote:

'The Walking Dead Episodes 1 and 2' free with PlayStation Plus

The Verge wrote:

Telltale Games' The Walking Dead Episodes 1 and 2 will be made available to PlayStation Plus users for free as part of the PlayStation 3 Instant Game Collection beginning August 7th.

Sunnuva bitch.

HedgeWizard wrote:
SommerMatt wrote:
HedgeWizard wrote:

I don't think I want to read the comics.

I read all 100 issues over three days. If you're liking the game, you definitely should give it a shot.

That's my dilemma. I really like my experience with the game (and watched the 1st season of the show when it aired), but I don't think I want to explore that world anymore given how bleak it sounds. I'm really taxed just making it through the game. Though I'm eager for the next chapter, that sh*t just really brings me down.

Well... I agree with you to a certain point: the comics get seriously dark and f*cked up, and characters go DOWN. I've always been a sucker for the whole "collapse of society"/apocalypse stories, though, so there's something there that just keeps me wondering what's going to happen next. Given the situation, you know there's not going to be any kind of happy ending... it just becomes about how to live in/adapt to this new reality.

That's my problem; I like apocalypse stories too. But I've found as I've grown older and had kids, my stomach for ruminating on the truly dark sh*t has become less and less. I watched The Road sometime ago and it honestly left me feeling depressed for several days. Hell - thinking of some of the scenes now gives me the willies. Playing the game makes me very uncomfortable at times, though I am eager to see (be a part of) the resolution to Lee's arc.

Aaron D. wrote:

As I recall, the comic series opens completely differently.

Than the game? Well... yeah Different characters! Although it's still centered around Atlanta, and you get intro'd to Glenn (who does show up in the comics and TV show). This is sort of a prequel to the TV show/comic, as one would assume Rick Grimes is still incapacitated at this point in the game's timeline.

EDIT:

Only at the very beginning of the game, though. Enough time passes while they're in the Motor Inn that the TV/Comic group would be well on its way to whatever else they were getting up to.

No, I'm referring to complexmath being turned off on trying the comics (despite interest) based on the tv show.

In related news, looks like Compendium 2 (#49-96) has a release date of Oct. 16th. Only $36 at Amazon. Woohoo!

Yeah I was just looking at those Compendiums... never read any of it, but I'm starting to get interested.

InStockTrades has a $2 cheaper price, but then costs more for shipping, so ends up being more. I really would like to give them more business, as I appreciate what they do, but Amazon continues to beat them on overall price most of the time.

I picked up the first Compendium fueled off of Telltale's Walking Dead games alone.

It's my first comic purchase since collecting the original Star Wars issues way back in '77.

IMAGE(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f9/Star_Wars_001_1977.jpeg/250px-Star_Wars_001_1977.jpeg)

Guess that doesn't make me much of a critic on WD Compendium 1, but I freakin' love it.

SommerMatt wrote:
Spoiler:

In the end, I left Andy alive... as did most people. Guess we ALL felt a bit guilty. I also refused to "steal" from the car, which was pretty ridiculous survival-wise. All for that darn adorable little kid. Alas.

I must be a bad person...

Spoiler:

Not only did I gleefully stab brother number one, but I let Andy "live" mainly because he seemed to want to die - and I'll be f*cked if I was gonna give him even an inch of leniency. He did not deserve a quick death by my hand, rather a slow, painful death by zombie nom nom. All I could think about was Mark and his GODDAMN MISSING LEGS. So yeah, f*ck those guys. And their mom, too.

Stele wrote:
Grubber788 wrote:

I have had no moral qualms with anything I've done so far, and that includes a lot of murder. I'm pretty sure every time I am presented with the opportunity to murder someone, I've always done it. I'm playing as a bad guy if I compare myself with a lot of the people posting here, but in my mind, I would do anything to protect Clementine.

Spoiler:

Although I killed Larry out of self-preservation. I didn't forget you laying me out when zombies were swarming the pharmacy, asshole.

Haha. Of course we would agree with vengeance, you Boron-hater you. ;)

Hehe, I'm an equal opportunist when it comes to senseless vengeance.

Stele wrote:

Yeah I was just looking at those Compendiums... never read any of it, but I'm starting to get interested.

InStockTrades has a $2 cheaper price, but then costs more for shipping, so ends up being more. I really would like to give them more business, as I appreciate what they do, but Amazon continues to beat them on overall price most of the time.

I have the first compendium. It's a good and cheap way to go if you don't want to do digital.

As for feeling bad about not giving enough business to IST... meh. Amazon might be bigger, but they're both "Super Wal-Marts" compared to local comic stores (i.e. offering discounts too low for regular stores to compete). If you're going to go that route, go with whichever prices is cheapest!

I have a hard time tracking how the compendiums and the trades relate. I have vols. 1-9 (or maybe 10) of the trades. The compendiums aren't worth me picking up yet, right? I want to read the rest, but I can't really afford to pick up the next batch of trades right now.

List here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wal...(comics)#Collected_editions

Cool, looks like the second compendium is the way to go then. Hopefully I never picked up Vol 10. Sucks to have to wait until October, but I guess I've waited this long.

Crockpot wrote:
Spoiler:

I figure I would give it a good try before killing him off. I'm glad I did because it made the story more interesting to me. My relationship with Kenny became more complicated. Before he was my best bud but now he has become way too impulsive about things to actually trust him. I'm actually slowly siding with Lilly.

Spoiler:

I was also one found of Kenny. I found my shift to Lilly to be a pretty quick transition.

demonbox wrote:
Spoiler:

I was also one found of Kenny. I found my shift to Lilly to be a pretty quick transition.

Spoiler:

It's weird because Kenny's paranoia about Barn was correct which might of done more damage than good, but I'm glad we found out about the truth. I should give him credit for that. But that paranoia also made him murdered a man that could be alive today. It's very conflicting but now I'm seeing why Lilly is they way she is.

Good god, this game is brillant.

I completed both episodes 1 and 2 last night (the wife was gone at a bachelorette party). Woke up this morning wondering if:

Spoiler:

I really had to kill the brother with a pitchfork. At the time, I felt like the game was forcing me to. After reading through all the different posts, I see now that I could have spared him. Also, I'm beginning not to trust Kenny. I fed on his paranoia and killed Larry. Almost felt like the game goaded me into wanting to kill Larry.

Anyone else get a The Most Dangerous Game vibe from episode 2? Definitely had bits of The Road in it.

If this game starts getting as dark as The Road, I may need to play Episode 3 with a stiff drink in one hand.

Episode 3 trailer's out. It's a bit of

Looks awesome!

Just finished Episode 2, another great one!

My only issue is that I'm getting the hitching other people mentioned (on 360, no less) just about every third camera switch. In action scenes it's causing me to fail multiple times in a row sometimes (fistfights etc.). Outside of that, it's breaking up the well crafted scenes Telltale has designed--imagine watching a movie where the scenes froze for 2 seconds every 15 seconds? It's really marring the game experience for me.

Bonus_Eruptus wrote:

Episode 3 trailer's out. It's a bit of

Looks awesome!

I hate you.

I hate you, too, baby.

Just finished episode 2 and thought it was great.

Spoiler:

One problem I had was the game thought I decided not to help Duck in episode 1. However, I supported the kid. I was surprised in episode 2 when Kenny was like you are a big jerk for not helping my boy. Other than that though the game picked up on all my choices I think. I was surprised by the amount of people that didn't take the food from the car. Most of those people didn't even have people to eat, got to be hungry by now.

Baron Of Hell wrote:

Just finished episode 2 and thought it was great.

Spoiler:

One problem I had was the game thought I decided not to help Duck in episode 1. However, I supported the kid. I was surprised in episode 2 when Kenny was like you are a big jerk for not helping my boy. Other than that though the game picked up on all my choices I think. I was surprised by the amount of people that didn't take the food from the car. Most of those people didn't even have people to eat, got to be hungry by now.

Spoiler:

There are multiples times that you can "help" Duck. It's not just the one big choice.