Sympathy for the Devil

NathanialG wrote:

This gets to what a lot of people have been saying here.
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-things...

That article was outstanding. My favorite was #6 - "Stop asking for handouts. I never got help from anybody!"

If you live in my part of the country, you'll hear hard-working, rural farmer types say, "I got my own piece of land, I grow my own food, all I want is to be left alone." All right, well tell me this, cowboy:

Let's say some mean, even richer guy, like a wealthy gangsta rapper, hired a bunch of armed thugs to come take your farm. What would you do? Your shotgun won't fend them off -- they have a hundred bigger shotguns. What will you do, call the cops? That is, other people, who will risk their lives while being paid with still other people's tax money, who will try these bad guys in a court funded by yet other people's tax money, under laws passed by legislators paid with other people's tax money? Whoa, slow down there, welfare queen!

But if none of that stuff existed, there would be nothing stopping Jay-Z from taking your farm. In other words, you don't "own" sh*t. The entire concept of owning anything, be it a hunk of land or a house or a f***ing sandwich, exists purely because other people pay other armed men to protect it. Without society, all of your brave, individual talents and efforts won't buy you a bucket of farts.

Again, the article was outstanding.

Phoenix Rev wrote:

My favorite was #6 - "Stop asking for handouts. I never got help from anybody!"

Frankly, everyone in this nation who says that they've never gotten help from anybody needs to be beaten with a clue-by-four. Every single person in this country has, in some manner, received help at various times from the systems in place for the benefit of the whole populace.

Farscry wrote:
Phoenix Rev wrote:

My favorite was #6 - "Stop asking for handouts. I never got help from anybody!"

Frankly, everyone in this nation who says that they've never gotten help from anybody needs to be beaten with a clue-by-four. Every single person in this country has, in some manner, received help at various times from the systems in place for the benefit of the whole populace.

It's not just receiving help. Tax breaks are essentially government handouts. They didn't just participate in systems, they straight up got cash from the government.

Farscry wrote:
Phoenix Rev wrote:

My favorite was #6 - "Stop asking for handouts. I never got help from anybody!"

Frankly, everyone in this nation who says that they've never gotten help from anybody needs to be beaten with a clue-by-four. Every single person in this country has, in some manner, received help at various times from the systems in place for the benefit of the whole populace.

This.

Also, "beaten with a clue-by-four" is fantastic, and I plan on using it frequently.

I admit to also never having heard "beaten by a clue by four," and similarly resolving to steal it for my own use.

If you're feeling more baroque, see also: "beaten about the head by Mjölnir, the great cluehammer of Thor."

Hypatian wrote:

If you're feeling more baroque, see also: "beaten about the head by Mjölnir, the great cluehammer of Thor."

Generally if I'm referencing Mjölnir, they're past what a clue can save.

Have tempted to name my Powerjack that, though, but didn't figure anyone'd get it.

Kannon wrote:

Also, "beaten with a clue-by-four" is fantastic, and I plan on using it frequently.

I forget where I heard it first, but yeah I love it too. I make no claim to being that creative!

Awesome article. I posted in a money forum I sometimes frequent and it drove everyone apoplectic. I was even labeled a communist. Good times.