Gamer Podcasts

I have listened to a whole lot of Bombcast, and I have never heard one minute of unironic dudebro talk.

Jayhawker wrote:

Well, after seeing all of this love for the Bombcast, I decided to give it a try today, listening to the last regular recording before E3. FFS, what the heck do people see in this? this is why I couldn't stomach more than few episodes back when it launched. I had hoped it had gotten better.

Well, I guess we'll agree to disagree. I love the Bombcast because even though they are following a standard template that I lot of video game website podcasts use, they have far superior chemistry. They're never going to have the most deep conversations about games, mostly because being in the industry they have to play everything.

I thought their talk about L.A. Noire was by far the most interesting I've heard, but then I find JTS to be completely unbearable and vapid, so...

They were making fun of Vinny because he always follows the trend of feeling he needs to consume everything obsessively to "get the full experience" until he burns himself out. They were making fun of him because he did the typical thing of thinking The Witcher 2 looked interesting and thinking he has to play the first one and read the books. This will take months of time until he finally decides he has no interest in playing the sequel at all. They just finished mocking him because he spent 2 months playing through Dragon Age II - including doing every single possible sidequest and going through every dungeon multiple times to make sure he didn't miss something - all the while admitting that he wasn't enjoying himself.

Also, if anything I think Brad Shoemaker is the weak link by a landslide and they should replace him with Patrick Klepek. He only brings up three things on the podcast (1) Faking being asleep or looking at his phone when called upon and acting tired through the whole thing; (2) Talking about Starcraft, which he only watches and never plays anymore; (3) Appending every mention of a multi-platform release by arbitrarily stating that the PC version will be superior because of mouse controls and better resolution, and then never actually playing the game so he never discusses it beyond that.

Okay, I withdraw the dudebro description. Take everything I said and find a better term. Apparently dudebro is a level lower than I think it is.

Or Casual Alcoholic might have a new bit.

"You might be a dudebro if..."

Yup, Giant Bomb, the fratboys of video game podcasting.

Edit: oh, I haven't listened to them since they started so maybe they've improved but the whole we are loud, in your face aesthetic was extremely grating.

Mr GT Chris wrote:

Yup, Giant Bomb, the fratboys of video game podcasting.

Edit: oh, I haven't listened to them since they started so maybe they've improved but the whole we are loud, in your face aesthetic was extremely grating.

I don't think that's fair, either.

I can understand people not liking the Bombcast for a variety of reasons, but the labels getting thrown around make no sense to me.

I gave the reasons in the post you quoted :p. And if the label fits...

Mr GT Chris wrote:

I gave the reasons in the post you quoted :p. And if the label fits...

That's not frat boy to me. Frat boy is cliqish, follow the crowd, completely entitled, drunken prickishness.

That's not at all what the Bombcast is.

But I can see how some might not like their type of humor and chemistry. But frat boy does not seem at all what goes on on the show. Neither does "dude bro" (a term I hate in general).

Both fit well in my opinion. But then, my impression of frat boy culture is strictly from American tv shows and movies.

Edit: to be more specific, if you took a typical frat boy and combined him with a video game geek you would get the Giant Bomb crew.

Mr GT Chris wrote:

Both fit well in my opinion. But then, my impression of frat boy culture is strictly from American tv shows and movies.

Not having listened since it started plus having no experience with real "frat boys" (which in itself is a bad stereotype)?

OK then. We'll just have to disagree.

Mr GT Chris wrote:

I gave the reasons in the post you quoted :p. And if the label fits...

But, the problem is that they don't do the things that you listed in your post; there isn't anything "in your face" on it, at least not without deep and obvious irony. That's why Mannish was questioning it.

Again, if people don't like what they do on the podcast, to each his own. But I think that it's important to refer to things that actually happen on the show.

Mr GT Chris wrote:

Both fit well in my opinion. But then, my impression of frat boy culture is strictly from American tv shows and movies.

Edit: to be more specific, if you took a typical frat boy and combined him with a video game geek you would get the Giant Bomb crew.

You're proving my point here. You're comparing them to a group of people that you say you have no experience with.

kaptainbarbosa wrote:

but then I find JTS to be completely unbearable and vapid, so...

Damn straight! I say we find those bastards and kick the sh** out of 'em! Who's with me?

I enjoy Giantbomb because their perspective is interesting: Games press veterans who understand quite a bit about their side of the industry but still get excited about video games. I find them to be a refreshing counterpoint to GWJ's more consumer-ish, married-with-children-ish viewpoint. (I absolutely despise the Giantbomb community, however.)

ubrakto wrote:
kaptainbarbosa wrote:

but then I find JTS to be completely unbearable and vapid, so...

Damn straight! I say we find those bastards and kick the sh** out of 'em! Who's with me?

Bill scares me. I'll take Todd out. He's kind of a wimp.

kyrieee wrote:

I like the podcast for its humour and the chemistry between the cast.

This is one thing I've always thought. The chemistry between the Bombcast crew is some of the best I've ever heard on a podcast, gaming or not. The way they naturally roll off each other is pretty fantastic.

Still can't get over them getting compared to frat boys and dude-bros, though. I mean, if that's what you think, that's what you think. But man, I just don't see it at all. And I've been known to have some pretty snooty NPR/PBS-like tastes.

4xis.black wrote:

(I absolutely despise the Giantbomb community, however.)

Now that's where you can find some dude-bros.

I don't think 2+ hours of podcast can be filled with just video games. I like their anecdotes, chemistry, in-jokes, and honesty. The CC, I only listen to if a game I'm playing is talked about, because it's a little too dry for my tastes.

What I'd categorize as their dudebro tendency is the kind of chucklehead lowest common denominator humor epitomized, for instance, by the peter molyneux balls thing. Don't get me wrong, I personally think it's funny even when a lot of people think it's stupid (and I enjoy the podcast) but that is A1 dudebro material there. Call that irony if you like; I'm not seeing it.

edit: actually that's not entirely accurate. I think it's stupid as well, I just happen to think it's stupid AND funny.

Maybe we do have different definitions of dudebro. To me, dudebro culture is epitomized by guys who, if in fact they don't start bar fights, like to fantasize about being the kind of guys who start bar fights; for another example, guys who cheer for slam dunks and play drinking games based on sex stories. Tribal tats are also prime indicators.

To get the 'frat guy' stereotype, I'd take dudebro culture and dress it up with nicer clothes and a carefully maintained hair style. I'd also throw in theories about how minorities and women are ruining America (usually after the sex stories have run their course).

Jokes about hairy balls I would call sophomoric, not dudebro. Bombcast can definitely be sophomoric sometimes.

For me, I see the Bombcast as the "morning talk radio" of gaming. Before Jumping the Shark emerged, it was always the first major gaming podcast of the week and it was lengthy, loud, and generally pretty light on everything, from humor to critical analysis. It didn't get paralyzed in business analysis like Garnett's show, but it always touched on all of the major news stories and big-name game releases. For that specific niche, it works pretty damn well.

But I think the "dudebro" criticisms are pretty apt because, even though they lampoon the Dudebro Gamer, they tend to focus their coverage on a very thin (and Western) slice of gaming that tended to market to that demographic. Often times, it seems like they'd deliberately sidestep any deeper conversation about a game, just so that it didn't seem like they were taking things too seriously.

And that's one of the major reasons that I took them out of my podcast rotation: they just don't cover the area of games that I'm interested in with the kind of depth that I'm looking for. (Well, that, and the whole subscription thing left an incredibly bitter taste in my mouth, but I'm long since over that.)

The last episode of the Bombcast that I downloaded was from last year...and Ryan and Brad were talking about Other M. Brad mentioned that he gave the game four out of five, but spent a couple of minutes talking about how ridiculous and awful the story was. And Ryan immediately punchlined that discussion with a comment that "that's what you get for wanting stories in yer vidya games" to uproarious laughter before moving onto to talk about how much they were looking forward to Fable 3. That's pretty much the Bombcast in a nutshell, if you ask me.

Maybe "Dudebro" is not a singular, binary concept, but a descriptive spectrum of sophomoric douchebaggery that one might exist upon. The Bombcast might be 0.4 Dudebro, while somebody like Dane Cook might be a hardcore 0.9 Dudebro for real, y'all.

CptGlanton wrote:

Maybe we do have different definitions of dudebro. To me, dudebro culture is epitomized by guys who, if in fact they don't start bar fights, like to fantasize about being the kind of guys who start bar fights; for another example, guys who cheer for slam dunks and play drinking games based on sex stories. Tribal tats are also prime indicators.

To get the 'frat guy' stereotype, I'd take dudebro culture and dress it up with nicer clothes and a carefully maintained hair style. I'd also throw in theories about how minorities and women are ruining America (usually after the sex stories have run their course).

Jokes about hairy balls I would call sophomoric, not dudebro. Bombcast can definitely be sophomoric sometimes.

I think you are going on a semantic tangent that doesn't really help. Basically, you just don't agree with the type of douche bag label that GT Chris or I gave them.

It's like the scene from the movie, From the Hip where they spend a day in court trying to find a word to replace asshole. In the end, it was just and exercise finding how many different ways they could call the guy an asshole.

I think Ozy pretty much hit the nail on the head as to how I feel about the Bombcast. He said it a lot better than me.

OzymandiasAV wrote:

Maybe "Dudebro" is not a singular, binary concept, but a descriptive spectrum of sophomoric douchebaggery that one might exist upon. The Bombcast might be 0.4 Dudebro, while somebody like Dane Cook might be a hardcore 0.9 Dudebro for real, y'all.

I think this probably nails it.

OzymandiasAV wrote:

even though they lampoon the Dudebro Gamer, they tend to focus their coverage on a very thin (and Western) slice of gaming that tended to market to that demographic.

That's one accusation I can agree with. They all have fairly similar tastes, so the spectrum of games covered tends to be quite narrow. It's not much of an issue for me though. I know what to expect going in, I still like a lot of the games they discuss, and for discussion on game types they tend to ignore, I know I need to seek out other podcasts.

That's yet another reason I miss Idle Thumbs. Remo talked about all kinds of obscure games that were not discussed on any other podcast, and Far Cry 2 stories.

* I had written Jumping the Shark off a while ago for some reason I can't recall, but I listened to the E3 podcasts and was surprised by how much I enjoyed them. I think I'm going to give that podcast another shot.

I think they do a good job of covering the lesser known titles in their Quick Looks.

I don't think going after their preference of games is a fair criticism (but it is a good reason not to listen, like I said for the CC). For every game that you think they should talk about but don't, every other podcast does the exact same thing to a game I'm into, every week. They're a three-man editorial staff for the most part, and they can't play everything that comes out.

Also, fairly inaccurate about them having similar tastes. During their GOTY podcasts, you often have a situation where only one of them has played something and has to convince the other three that it's worth of whatever award is being handed out.

Jayhawker wrote:

I think you are going on a semantic tangent that doesn't really help. Basically, you just don't agree with the type of douche bag label that GT Chris or I gave them.

It's like the scene from the movie, From the Hip where they spend a day in court trying to find a word to replace asshole. In the end, it was just and exercise finding how many different ways they could call the guy an asshole.

I think Ozy pretty much hit the nail on the head as to how I feel about the Bombcast. He said it a lot better than me.

OzymandiasAV wrote:

Maybe "Dudebro" is not a singular, binary concept, but a descriptive spectrum of sophomoric douchebaggery that one might exist upon. The Bombcast might be 0.4 Dudebro, while somebody like Dane Cook might be a hardcore 0.9 Dudebro for real, y'all.

I think this probably nails it.

You're not giving accurate description of the conversation, but okay.

Dyni wrote:

* I had written Jumping the Shark off a while ago for some reason I can't recall, but I listened to the E3 podcasts and was surprised by how much I enjoyed them. I think I'm going to give that podcast another shot.

I think JtS has steadily improved over the course of the last year but the E3 podcasts are probably not indicative of their normal podcasts. But the four have settled into their roles a lot more comfortably now. I see ti as a nice companion to the CC. It is fun to hear how they can have such radically different takes and conversations about the same games. But the discussion is always pretty good.

Listening to Brandon's rant on Daggerdale was one of my favorite podcast moments of the last year. It was awesome.

I find it funny that people in the gaming community like to pick labels like "dude bro" to describe people with different tastes than them. It's kind of a reverse jock situation, and IMO, it's not productive.

From when I've seen the term used around gaming, the "dude bros" were the gamers only buying CoD and Madden. The ones cussing you out on XBL and saying things about your mother while questioning your sexuality.

And the Bombcast is far from that.

In the end, I think using a slur like that really isn't doing anything good.

OK, I'm not talking "dude bro" anymore.

Take it to the dude bro Catch-All. In the meantime we can find something else to niggle over since all we're basically doing is talking about personal preference now.

Jayhawker wrote:
Dyni wrote:

* I had written Jumping the Shark off a while ago for some reason I can't recall, but I listened to the E3 podcasts and was surprised by how much I enjoyed them. I think I'm going to give that podcast another shot.

I think JtS has steadily improved over the course of the last year but the E3 podcasts are probably not indicative of their normal podcasts. But the four have settled into their roles a lot more comfortably now. I see ti as a nice companion to the CC. It is fun to hear how they can have such radically different takes and conversations about the same games. But the discussion is always pretty good.

Listening to Brandon's rant on Daggerdale was one of my favorite podcast moments of the last year. It was awesome.

I am going to listen to JTS on your recommendation but I find it very hard to listen to the CC anymore, I feel it's gotten worse, I am really far behind though and should listen to some of the newer episodes.

necroyeti wrote:

Take it to the dude bro Catch-All. In the meantime we can find something else to niggle over since all we're basically doing is talking about personal preference now.

Couldn't second this more.