Gamer Podcasts

hbi2k wrote:
carrotpanic wrote:
There have been plenty of really drunk dudes who embarrassed themselves on the E3 shows, or you have Garnett, who is frequently drunk and make a fool out of himself. Wouldn't be notable at all if she was not a woman.

That's the most ridiculous sort of strawman. I have heard drunk people on podcasts, and her drunk on a podcast is above and beyond. It is aurally unpleasant. It is offensive to the ears, I tell you. This is not a defect that could be corrected with the addition of a Y chromosome. Her ownership of a vagina does not bear on this. Give me credit for knowing the difference.

How typically sexist! Shame.

Insert Credit has started a podcast:

http://insertcredit.com/2012/07/06/i...

Alex Jaffe, Brandon Sheffield, Tim Rogers, and Frank Cifaldi. I have not listened to their pod yet but I've read some of Rogers' (very long) articles on action button dot net and found them intriguing.

Blind_Evil wrote:
I don't take Garnett into consideration as I haven't listened in years. The only comparable I can think of is that really drunk Scottish developer whose name I never caught, and I wouldn't want him on the Bombcast either.

That'd be Mathew Kumar on guesting on Listen UP. Which, I personally found kind of funny rather than offensive.

I'm not going to defend Leigh's appearance on bombcast or anything, but I think this:

jamos5 wrote:
I love Leigh's blog, but I tried subscribing to her twitter and found it completely unflattering. Kind of rambly, scrambled, and otherwise unprofessional.

Is kind of beside the point. It's twitter. People use it to talk about what they had for lunch. Someone's twitter feed might be professional, but to expect it is a bit much.

carrotpanic wrote:
Nope. I've had to turn off Garnett and Jaffe because they were "aurally unpleasant" and offensive the ears, I tell you.

I don't doubt it. I apparently haven't heard those particular podcasts, but I'll take your word for it. Just as I'll ask you to take mine that when I say that Leigh Alexander's drunken shenanigans were obnoxious and disruptive, her gender doesn't enter into it.

I feel like it does for a lot of people, but for you *handshake* Let's have a gin.

I reccomend ice, lemon, lime, sprite, and cucumber slices with that gin. I recently started mixing those and now I am proselytizing on its behalf.

In other news, the more I listen to these podcasts the more I love Giantbomb...and the more I find Weekend Confirmed medicore.

hbi2k wrote:
carrotpanic wrote:
Nope. I've had to turn off Garnett and Jaffe because they were "aurally unpleasant" and offensive the ears, I tell you.

I don't doubt it. I apparently haven't heard those particular podcasts, but I'll take your word for it. Just as I'll ask you to take mine that when I say that Leigh Alexander's drunken shenanigans were obnoxious and disruptive, her gender doesn't enter into it.

It seems like they violated a very important Internet Rule: do not Internet while intoxicated

I find it mildly discomforting at best when any podcast I listen to involves more than just a little bit of alcohol. Weekend Confirmed has done it more than once and it's simply unflattering to everybody involved.

It's easy to say things while intoxicated that seem like they're perfectly fine when you're with other intoxicated people, but podcasts are (mostly) consumed by the sober, and without the beer goggles you just usually come across as some form of an ass.

[shameless_plug]
[topical conversation]

Well, while the name of our podcast is Drunk and Nerdy, we dont actually GET DRUNK. Despite Tambora opening a tall boy of Stag Ice when he introduces himself, the beer consumption is about one or two per person for the whole hour.

[/topical conversation]

Oh, whats that? Oh, I'm just talking about Drunk and Nerdy Episode 4! Just dropped in hot today! We even talk about drinking (seriously, a friend of ours who brews comes on and gives some summer beer recommendations).

[/shameless_plug]
[embarrassment_that_never_ends]

Sigh...I'm so lame...

carrotpanic wrote:
I feel like it does for a lot of people, but for you *handshake* Let's have a gin.

*shake*

Also, for the record, while I can't say I can recall hearing a podcast in which Garnet Lee is DRUNK and obnoxious, he does all-too-often manage to be obnoxious while stone cold sober. One of the reasons why, when I had to pare down my podcast subscriptions due to not being able to listen to them at my new job, Weekend Confirmed was one of the first to go. So I'm with you on that one.

I like his passion, and I think he's a good foil to Cannata on the show. I don't like when there's a guest on with whom he feels the need to be "raunchy" to impress them (Luke Smith, David Ellis, Andrea Rene, Ariel, even Christian Spicer sometimes). I tend to turn it off or skip those episodes.

carrotpanic wrote:
There have been plenty of really drunk dudes who embarrassed themselves on the E3 shows, or you have Garnett, who is frequently drunk and make a fool out of himself. Wouldn't be notable at all if she was not a woman.

Insane. It's notable because of how much she talks, the vacancy in her statements, and her yelling over everyone else.

Garnett can certainly be immature and embarrassing and obnoxious, but for starters he's not actively rude to the people he's talking to. Secondly I can't recall a time where he's steamrolled a conversation as much as she does (not that he doesn't do it, just talking time spent talking). Thirdly, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and that person is annoying without taking their gender into account.

demonbox wrote:
Secondly I can't recall a time where he's steamrolled a conversation as much as she does

Ehhh, Garnett will get into a bad habit of cutting people off when he gets excited, then he'll finish his statement and decide that that section is out of time and move on leaving the other person with half a thought presented. Still, I can't fault the guy too much because he knows how to run a podcast.

My verdict, Leigh Alexander is a good writer and probably fine to talk to sober, but becomes grabby for attention when she drinks and thus becomes controversial.

If you want guys who know how to do drinking on a podcast, I think we need only turn to DGRadio

I honestly stopped listening to DGR because I found it too misogynistic. This was during a period they seemed obsessed with Jessica Chobot, and even with the mail sections it's was just seemed unremittingly negative towards women. Maybe it was just a weird time to listen and deserves another chance, dunno.

killstrelok wrote:

wow, well i love half of these so it looks like ill be downloading the other half to give it a go! have you gone back and re-listened to all the gamespy debriefings? worth it!

Yes I started when anthony joined it like episode 82 and I am on episode 151 now, It's fantastic. I will definitely keep it where I can go back to them after.

demonbox wrote:
I honestly stopped listening to DGR because I found it too misogynistic. This was during a period they seemed obsessed with Jessica Chobot, and even with the mail sections it's was just seemed unremittingly negative towards women. Maybe it was just a weird time to listen and deserves another chance, dunno.

I don't mind DGR but It's all over the map especially the last year or so after they stopped talking about games for the most part.

They don't really do the Chobot thing anymore, haven't for a while. They can... still be misogynistic, but not in a bad way? If that makes sense?

It doesn't feel like there is any actual bad intent behind anything misogynistic they might happen to say, so it doesn't really bother me personally. It's like cracking a racist joke among your friends even though you don't actually agree with the sentiment behind it and think stereotypes are absurd. It's meant to feel like you're hanging with the guys comfortably enough to be completely uncensored.

EDIT: I'm checking out the last Gamespy Debriefings, man it's so incredibly offensive and I'm almost crying laughing. I'm not surprised that this was the last episode because, wow.

Delerat wrote:
I'm checking out the last Gamespy Debriefings, man it's so incredibly offensive and I'm almost crying laughing. I'm not surprised that this was the last episode because, wow.

If you don't already know, that crew also does the Comedy Button podcast. It's the crustiest.

Delerat wrote:
EDIT: I'm checking out the last Gamespy Debriefings, man it's so incredibly offensive and I'm almost crying laughing. I'm not surprised that this was the last episode because, wow.

IIRC, the only reason it stopped being the Gamespy Debriefings is Ryan Scott stopped working there, so there were no Gamespy employees in the mix.

I listened to all of the latter-day episodes and have followed the Comedy Button, which is a little shameful because they definitely cross the line sometimes. Still, consistently funny.

demonbox wrote:
I honestly stopped listening to DGR because I found it too misogynistic. This was during a period they seemed obsessed with Jessica Chobot, and even with the mail sections it's was just seemed unremittingly negative towards women. Maybe it was just a weird time to listen and deserves another chance, dunno.

Every time I tried to listen to that podcast they seemed to focus more on the drunken part than the gamer part, and it struck me as kind of a morning zoo type talk show that happens to sometimes talk about video games rather than the local sporting team.

Don't get me wrong, I can dig a fart joke now and then, but there are straight up comedic podcasts that are much funnier, and there are video game podcasts that are way more insightful. If I want to go for grade school humor I'll just hit up MBMBAM, and get my video game pods elsewhere.

It's not a video game podcast anymore (although they occasionally discuss them), so if that was even the thread you were hanging onto, no reason to go back.

Deadmonkeys wrote:
Delerat wrote:
I'm checking out the last Gamespy Debriefings, man it's so incredibly offensive and I'm almost crying laughing. I'm not surprised that this was the last episode because, wow.

If you don't already know, that crew also does the Comedy Button podcast. It's the crustiest.


After listening to Boozeocalypse 2, I immediately checked out the newest Comedy Button. "Look sir, droids"

Blind_Evil wrote:
IIRC, the only reason it stopped being the Gamespy Debriefings is Ryan Scott stopped working there, so there were no Gamespy employees in the mix.

I wasn't aware Ryan had stopped working there. No employees? Does Anthony not work there either? When I bailed on RebelFM and Geekbox I lost all updates on what's going on with these guys.

gore wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I can dig a fart joke now and then, but there are straight up comedic podcasts that are much funnier, and there are video game podcasts that are way more insightful.

For me personally, I've listened to the guys for 3-4 years now so I'm just attached to the personalities. Though they aren't always knee slappingly funny like MBMBAM and Comedy Button are, they have their moments and some pretty crazy stories to tell as well. The thing I get most out of it is when they talk about beer and music. Those are two things they know very well.

So where does Ryan Scott work nowadays?

He's just freelancing. On the latest comedy button he was saying his wife doesn't let him go to Japanese steakhouses because she thinks he'll hurt himself and they don't have health insurance at the moment.

Delerat wrote:

It doesn't feel like there is any actual bad intent behind anything misogynistic they might happen to say, so it doesn't really bother me personally. It's like cracking a racist joke among your friends even though you don't actually agree with the sentiment behind it and think stereotypes are absurd. It's meant to feel like you're hanging with the guys comfortably enough to be completely uncensored.

What? Telling a racist joke is racist. I would absolutely stop hanging out with someone who assumed I'm as racist as they are and that it's safe to be a racist around me.

I can't believe I came into this thread looking for podcast suggestions for a long trip and found someone explaining why it's okay to be a racist in private.

CptGlanton wrote:

What? Telling a racist joke is racist. I would absolutely stop hanging out with someone who assumed I'm as racist as they are and that it's safe to be a racist around me.

I can't believe I came into this thread looking for podcast suggestions for a long trip and found someone explaining why it's okay to be a racist in private.

PSA:

...but seriously, I don't want to listen to that garbage on a podcast.

My favorite podcasts are the ones where it seems like a group of friends sitting about and having meaningful, and much better informed, conversations about stuff which interests me. Sittin' around having a beer while doing that sounds fine to me, and it's certainly the mood I'd be in if I were on a podcast. Tech News Today has liquid Fridays, which don't always have to be alcohol, and the Weekend Confirmed guys rag on each other for not finishing their drinks. Although they do irritatingly whore out the whisky a lot.

Getting drunk while doing your job? That's another story, a bad story. Where I'm sitting .08 means you can't drive, and .05 gets you busted for being drunk on duty.

CptGlanton wrote:
What? Telling a racist joke is racist. I would absolutely stop hanging out with someone who assumed I'm as racist as they are and that it's safe to be a racist around me.

I can't believe I came into this thread looking for podcast suggestions for a long trip and found someone explaining why it's okay to be a racist in private.

I think there's always a difference between blatantly racist and being offensive. I make jokes to my Jewish friend about him being Jewish, but there's no real hate or prejudice in there. It's just intentionally saying stupid stuff for the sake of laughter.

It's a fine line, really. I cannot defend the Podcast in question, though. Never heard it.

Blind_Evil wrote:
He's just freelancing.

Did he ever say why he made that leap- was he made to leave or was it his choice?

Honestly, I don't remember. Sorry!

CptGlanton wrote:
Delerat wrote:

It doesn't feel like there is any actual bad intent behind anything misogynistic they might happen to say, so it doesn't really bother me personally. It's like cracking a racist joke among your friends even though you don't actually agree with the sentiment behind it and think stereotypes are absurd. It's meant to feel like you're hanging with the guys comfortably enough to be completely uncensored.

What? Telling a racist joke is racist. I would absolutely stop hanging out with someone who assumed I'm as racist as they are and that it's safe to be a racist around me.

I can't believe I came into this thread looking for podcast suggestions for a long trip and found someone explaining why it's okay to be a racist in private.

If you are still looking for podcast, here's my rotation: Good Job Brain, GWJ, Escapist Podcast, Weekend Confirmed, The Nerdist, Bombcast, 8-4 PLay, Active Time Babble, The Geek Box, 4player Podcast. I've tried Idle Thumbs but it has never gripped me.

I also have to plug mine.

Edit: Just a curious question, do you think all comedians are rascists? I don't think I've seen much if any stand up where race isn't a talking point.