Syndicate Catch-All

Strangeblades wrote:
nel e nel wrote:
ClockworkHouse wrote:

But Duoae is a hipster of grumpiness. In a few years, when we're reading Pride & Prejudice: Augmented Edition and bemoaning how over-exposed the whole cyberpunk thing is, Duoae will be able to say that he was tired of it before it was cool.

Spoiler:

You're a very nice man, Duoae. :fistbump:

Cyberpunk isn't ironic enough.

edit: I stand corrected

IMAGE(http://www.moviegoods.com/Assets/product_images/1020/190474.1020.A.jpg)

This is when Angelina Jolie was hot and had some flesh on her bones. Sigh.

Penn Jillette as a sysadmin in a security uniform. What's not to like?

On Netflix instant. Assuming you haven't yet rage quit.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

It's worth it to see how little anyone involved in making the movie knew about computers.

And still a far sight better than ExistenZ, for the very same reason.

WipEout wrote:

And still a far sight better than ExistenZ, for the very same reason.

That's just crazy talk right there. Cronenberg is national treasure. Especially if your nation is Canada.

nel e nel wrote:
WipEout wrote:

And still a far sight better than ExistenZ, for the very same reason.

That's just crazy talk right there. Cronenberg is national treasure. Especially if your nation is Canada.

Ugh, please don't remind me of the existence of that horrible horrible movie.

nel e nel wrote:
WipEout wrote:

And still a far sight better than ExistenZ, for the very same reason.

That's just crazy talk right there. Cronenberg is national treasure. Especially if your nation is Canada.

Everybody has their dud films and everyone has their triumphs. We're going to go see A Dangerous Method this weekend and we anticipate great things.

Back on topic, these preview rekindled my desire to finish Deus Ex as the stealthy assassin and then start a run-n-gun playthrough.

Downloaded the Skrillex track from Facebook and it is indeed a remix of the music from the original game. Heh.

Watched the trailer for this on XBL tonight out of sheer boredom. It looks effing rad. Some kind of mix between Modern Warfare, Mirror's Edge, Deux Ex, and maybe a little Vanquish.

Between this and Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, my February is shaping up nicely. Thanks EA!

Eurogamer.net says EA is considering a Syndicate RTS remake.

Color me intrigued.

Link-a-dink, dink.

Edwin wrote:

Michael Wincott should do voicework in everything ever made.

Sweet! I'm going to get my head handed to me, but I'll enjoy the ride.
--
TAZ

Aaaaaaaand... wait for it...

RC'd in Australia -_-*

So does that mean we can get it gifted on steam still?

Was under the impression this would be locked to Origin, although I'm unsure if I've read reliable conformation of that :/
,!

Pretendbeard wrote:

Was under the impression this would be locked to Origin, although I'm unsure if I've read reliable conformation of that

This doesn't feel like a high profile release to me. I'm erring on the side of it hitting Steam day 1 but without a pre-order page.

It's not on the GWJ platform list yet (the google docs one) so what platform will I need to be using if I want to squad up with some 'runners for a hostile takeover?

I guess I'm the only one, but the videos for this look to me like Brink with different art direction. Micheal Wincott fanboyism not withstanding.

Is that a bad thing? I liked Brink a lot, to be honest. I think it got a bad rap.

WipEout wrote:

Is that a bad thing? I liked Brink a lot, to be honest. I think it got a bad rap.

Just something I noticed when watching the multiplayer videos. The way characters move, the sort of look if not the actual art direction, etc.

It matters to me even if just because watching gameplay videos is what kept me from buying Brink. It always looked janky to me.

Not sure how I feel about turning syndicate into an fps, but I'll definitely give the 4-player co-op demo a try, which is coming out soon.

I am also excited that the original is coming to GOG.

XBOX Co-op demo will be downloading soon. Who's interested? My gamertag is gainscwa.

gains wrote:

XBOX Co-op demo will be downloading soon. Who's interested? My gamertag is gainscwa.

Ooooh! Pickmepickmepickme!

Finished the demo with my roommate, it's pretty cool. The shooting feels solid and it's fairly tactical, if a bit prone to cheesing. Pretty hard with just two people and no idea what we're doing.

The animations of enemies and other players leave a lot to be desired though. That may just be demo jank.

Wondering if the game will have a respectable single player component.

Did it feel like the Syndicate?

I have never even seen footage of the original so I can't say.

Blind_Evil wrote:

I have never even seen footage of the original so I can't say.

why aren't you buying it on gog.com right now?

Played through it about 5 times with pubbies and I think it's good. There are some definite tactical decisions that need to be made and being in touch with the rest of my chombattas would have been helpful when we needed someone to draw fire while someone else ran the breach. The big complaint is that (just like The Darkness) there are a lot of context sensitive actions that rely on one button; in this case LB. Many is the time I would try to breach an enemy's reactive armor only to end up healing a runner or I would catch and defuse a grenade instead of beginning the reboot to res someone. This also means the screen is very busy with floating holographic info tags that can get pretty crowded if two of your guys are down right next to an armored enemy target who is standing near the gate lock. Good luck targetting the right system for your intended breach. Otherwise, it's the Ghost in the Shell experience I was looking for.

By the way, does anyone know how to throw grenades?

EDIT: Oh! I also like the way you research gun upgrades and new tech between missions, just like the original.

Chairman_Mao wrote:
Blind_Evil wrote:

I have never even seen footage of the original so I can't say.

why aren't you buying it on gog.com right now?

I never actually play PC games when I buy them. 18.2 hours of gameplay on 56 steam titles.

Stylez and I played the demo for about two hours last night and were initially lukewarm but really warmed to it. It appears that it's almost like Left 4 Dead with persistent progression. It's designed for you to play levels over again to try to get better scores and get more unlocks. We played the demo mission twice (they don't mess around though, some of those enemies are tough) and were able to unlock a bit of what is clearly a crazy huge customisation system. It seems a unique take on things and that's good because if this was just another 6-8 hour linear shooter, I would probably just rent it but I might buy it now. I really wish there was a PC demo though cause I'd much rather play it there if the port is good.

gains wrote:

Played through it about 5 times with pubbies and I think it's good. There are some definite tactical decisions that need to be made and being in touch with the rest of my chombattas would have been helpful when we needed someone to draw fire while someone else ran the breach. The big complaint is that (just like The Darkness) there are a lot of context sensitive actions that rely on one button; in this case LB. Many is the time I would try to breach an enemy's reactive armor only to end up healing a runner or I would catch and defuse a grenade instead of beginning the reboot to res someone. This also means the screen is very busy with floating holographic info tags that can get pretty crowded if two of your guys are down right next to an armored enemy target who is standing near the gate lock. Good luck targetting the right system for your intended breach. Otherwise, it's the Ghost in the Shell experience I was looking for.

By the way, does anyone know how to throw grenades?

EDIT: Oh! I also like the way you research gun upgrades and new tech between missions, just like the original.

I couldn't figure out grenades either, but by playing around I found it by holding Y you will swap to a grenade. It's not an offhand throw. What's really cool is that you replenish your nades with ones that have been thrown at you that you have breached.