Borderlands 2 Catch-All

There's a bug that locks some of the DLC content to the level you opened it, rather than scaling to level 50 like all TVHM 2.5 should. I recommend at least getting to level 50. Safer to finish the game campaign first.

LobsterMobster wrote:
Plastefuchs wrote:

Has anybody on the PC experienced problems with the Mechromancer DLC?
When I start the game I get told my lvl 40 Gaige savegame was created with DLC I have no access to. Another popup informs me that some DLC is corrupt.
Validating the game cache tells me that 1 file has to be reacquired and after a short download and install I get the same errors. :/

It would suck if I lost that savegame and access to Gaige :C

Back up your savegame file just to be sure. Here's what you do:

Step 1) Restart Steam. If that didn't fix it, proceed to step 2.
Step 2) Verify Borderlands 2 files. If that didn't fix it, proceed to step 3.
Step 3) Delete the entire DLC directory under Borderlands 2, then verify files and let it redownload them. If that didn't fix it, I don't know.

Step 3 did the trick. It redownloaded ~2000 files and then it ran like on the first day.

Plastefuchs wrote:

Step 3 did the trick. It redownloaded ~2000 files and then it ran like on the first day. :)

Glad my own ordeal could spare you from yours.

In honor of Clap Trap winning favorite character at the VGAs last night, here are some Golden Key codes, good through the weekend:

facebook wrote:

PC / Mac: C3C3J-KFTHW-WX3JJ-3BTJ3-ZR6B9
Xbox 360: WTWTJ-ZRHCZ-RZXJ6-5XJJB-ZKKH3
PlayStation 3: C3CBT-BT695-BWCKT-S3KBT-BCSSR

twitter wrote:

PC / Mac: W3KTT-ZW39K-56TJ3-J333T-X9FKH
Xbox 360: KJCBB-CXSWH-6ZXT6-WXTBJ-RSHHZ
PlayStation 3: 5J5B3-FZC9W-JC5C3-STC3B-6TF3W

There are actually at least 5 codes on FB, for Best Multiplayer, Best Shooter, Best Male Voice, Best Character, and another for sweeping those. They're all good for the whole weekend.

Edit: Looks like they're the same on Twitter and FB this time. (Two of these are what nel e nel posted.)

Since the voice of Handsome Jack won Best Performance By A Human Male, how about some celebratory SHiFT codes?

PC / Mac: 5TCTJ-XC3S5-C6JJT-3JTTT-HFBW9
Xbox 360: CT5TB-B6HWS-XSR3F-KR3BB-H6B6R
PlayStation 3: KJ53T-CZWZK-3KC5J-HJC3T-HCC59

SHiFT Codes to celebrate Borderlands 2 winning Best Shooter at the Spike Video Game Awards!

PC / Mac: W3KTT-ZW39K-56TJ3-J333T-X9FKH
Xbox 360: KJCBB-CXSWH-6ZXT6-WXTBJ-RSHHZ
PlayStation 3: 5J5B3-FZC9W-JC5C3-STC3B-6TF3W

Let’s celebrate Borderlands 2 winning Best Multiplayer with some SHiFT codes!

PC / Mac: K3KJ3-3RT95-KXB3B-BBTBT-CB6KH
Xbox 360: CJ53B-66ZC9-RZR3X-5XJB3-JHC5T
PlayStation 3: 5T5J3-ZHWSW-3K5K3-SJCJB-SCRFB

Since Claptrap won Character of the Year …SHiFT codes to celebrate!

PC / Mac: C3C3J-KFTHW-WX3JJ-3BTJ3-ZR6B9
Xbox 360: WTWTJ-ZRHCZ-RZXJ6-5XJJB-ZKKH3
PlayStation 3: C3CBT-BT695-BWCKT-S3KBT-BCSSR

Borderlands 2 swept the Spike VGAs winning Best Shooter, Character of the Year (Claptrap) and Best Performance by a Human Male (Handsome Jack) and Best Multiplayer!

Let’s celebrate with some bonus SHiFT codes!

PC / Mac: WTKT3-BSJSK-5XBTT-B333T-963SF
Xbox 360: CBWTT-SBFSK-35WKT-HB5TT-RRRHH
PlayStation 3: K3W33-5SX95-35K53-935T3-H6WW6

Thanks guys. All working.

Much appreciated. I had no idea that the Spike VGA's would end up being relevant to me.

So, this being the first time I've heard about its existence, has anyone taken on the Varkid raid boss yet?

Yes. You need a full crew in co-op before he will spawn and it doesn't always happen. You have to get a bad ass varkid to pod a couple of times I think to level up to him. Takes a while and the loot really isn't worth the wait IMO.

Mantid and I wasted a couple hours trying to get him to spawn one day and gave up. I haven't tried again since.

You will need DLC 1 to have access to Hyperius, and with the understanding that this technique could permanently alter your game.

Go near Hyperius and activate the quest to kill him, then approach his area. Do not engage. The game ramps up automatically to 4 player mode when you get near Hyperius.

Go out, head to Tundra Express and survive while engaging Varkids in combat for as long as you can.

LarryC wrote:

You will need DLC 1 to have access to Hyperius, and with the understanding that this technique could permanently alter your game.

Go near Hyperius and activate the quest to kill him, then approach his area. Do not engage. The game ramps up automatically to 4 player mode when you get near Hyperius.

Go out, head to Tundra Express and survive while engaging Varkids in combat for as long as you can.

Could permanently alter?!

I picked this up on the steam sale. I love the gameplay, but hate trudging through miles of terrain full of respawned enemies to get back to a mission when I quit and come back to the game the next day. Is there something I'm missing with the save system?

imbiginjapan wrote:

I picked this up on the steam sale. I love the gameplay, but hate trudging through miles of terrain full of respawned enemies to get back to a mission when I quit and come back to the game the next day. Is there something I'm missing with the save system?

Unfortunately, no. That's just how it is. It's one of the few things that bugs me about this game - mostly it's awesome, but that is just annoying.

Rallick wrote:
imbiginjapan wrote:

I picked this up on the steam sale. I love the gameplay, but hate trudging through miles of terrain full of respawned enemies to get back to a mission when I quit and come back to the game the next day. Is there something I'm missing with the save system?

Unfortunately, no. That's just how it is. It's one of the few things that bugs me about this game - mostly it's awesome, but that is just annoying.

Yeah basically if you want to finish a mission, or area, you need to do the whole thing in one play session. Which means a solid 60-90 min in some sections.

This is not a pick up and play for 15 min at a time game.

It's one of the few ways the game skill-checks you. Normally, dying in BL2 is fairly trivial. You pay money, but it's mostly useless anyway. The game penalizes you time played. Speed of kills is what BL2 demands; if you kill fast, the level sizes feel reasonable.

LarryC wrote:

You will need DLC 1 to have access to Hyperius, and with the understanding that this technique could permanently alter your game.

Speaking of which... when are we going to get a group together to kill Hyperius, Master Gee, and Pyro-jerk (not tboon)?

I'm game whenever. I think I got the gear down, so all we need is the time. I expect to be free-ish after Tuesday (Monday to people who live in the Americas). Pyro-jerk's the easiest and the most generous. He's the first on the dock.

LarryC wrote:

It's one of the few ways the game skill-checks you. Normally, dying in BL2 is fairly trivial. You pay money, but it's mostly useless anyway. The game penalizes you time played. Speed of kills is what BL2 demands; if you kill fast, the level sizes feel reasonable.

Skill-check is one thing. Wasting my time is another. I shouldn't be penalized by having to spend even more time if I don't have enough time in the first place to sit down and finish a mission in one long chunk.

That's kind of the point. Borderlands 2 doesn't penalize lack of skill by normal death methods, since deaths in BL2 are basically free spawns. It penalizes lack of skill by retarding your progress directly. I went through Hero's Pass a few times recently - my leisurely rate was something like 18 minutes. I didn't finish the mission, but it won't dump me back at the start of Hero's Pass if I make it to the end of the map.

In general, you "save" when you shift maps. For instance, I think you don't respawn back at the start of Bloodshot Stronghold if you make it to Bloodshot Ramparts. Taking on Bloodshot Stronghold through to the Ramparts shouldn't require more than 15 minutes if you're doing it right.

LarryC wrote:

That's kind of the point. Borderlands 2 doesn't penalize lack of skill by normal death methods, since deaths in BL2 are basically free spawns. It penalizes lack of skill by retarding your progress directly. I went through Hero's Pass a few times recently - my leisurely rate was something like 18 minutes. I didn't finish the mission, but it won't dump me back at the start of Hero's Pass if I make it to the end of the map.

In general, you "save" when you shift maps. For instance, I think you don't respawn back at the start of Bloodshot Stronghold if you make it to Bloodshot Ramparts. Taking on Bloodshot Stronghold through to the Ramparts shouldn't require more than 15 minutes if you're doing it right.

You're making me not want to play anymore.

If you do find yourself needing to treck back through an area you've been through, you normally can just run past the enemies. This is best done in pairs in case someone needs a revive.

I'm not sure what to say. Just to be clear, here's the gist:

1. You don't have to complete a mission to save your progress. Shifting maps is generally enough.
2. You can get through maps in a reasonable amount of time if you're playing well.

The bad thing about BL2 is that it's somewhat super old-school in that it won't teach you how to play the game. Presumably discovering the little tricks and interactions is part of the game. You don't need super-leet aim. You just need to know what to do - that's the RPG side. If you figure out how to take a map, you can clear through it quickly. If you're not progressing fast enough, chances are you're missing something.

Examples:

In one mission, you're tasked to kill something in the middle of the map. You can just brute force your way through, but that will take quite a while. If you avoid the main enemy forces by pathing around them, you can finish it in a fraction of the time - less than half the time you would otherwise have taken.

Loaders are infamous for being bullet sponges. The trick is to always hit their many critical areas with element-appropriate attacks. Hitting these areas with elemental adjustments can increase DPS by more than 400%. With Slag on top, you can be doing more than 10x the damage you'd do by just spraying it down indiscriminately.

Each enemy and area has a trick (usually several tricks) to it that makes it much easier, faster, and more rewarding. It's more cerebral than twitchy.

My simple take on the game is that it is all about engagements. Engagements is where the game shines, it is the focal point. This is due to a number of reasons (AI, animations, weapon variety, sound, map layout) but is the thing the game is about. It's the game's sweet spot and it is 90% of what you will be interacting with in the game. If you're not enjoying these on their base level, then the game isn't going to be for you. There is progression and there is the joy of the loot- but that is not what the majority of time or focus is.

I spend probably 10% of my Borderlands time killing enemies and the other 90% searching around and opening all the little boxes. Speed of killing really isn't the only consideration.

Demyx wrote:

I spend probably 10% of my Borderlands time killing enemies and the other 90% searching around and opening all the little boxes. Speed of killing really isn't the only consideration.

I think my desire to open everything and snoop around in all the corners makes me a terrible co-op partner. Except for the rare occasional I jump into someone elses game with my level 50 to get them past a tough section.

Any news on what or when the next DLC will be?

Demyx wrote:

I spend probably 10% of my Borderlands time killing enemies and the other 90% searching around and opening all the little boxes. Speed of killing really isn't the only consideration.

My 90% is off, because I do open all the boxes I can. I agree that that the game is not the game- but the game really is about enemy engagements. No matter how long you spend exploring the majority of your time is spent scratching your trigger finger.

I pretty much burned through the main storyline of the Torgue DLC. Are there any side quests I ought to do? Anything particularly quick/easy or with a good reward?

demonbox wrote:
Demyx wrote:

I spend probably 10% of my Borderlands time killing enemies and the other 90% searching around and opening all the little boxes. Speed of killing really isn't the only consideration.

My 90% is off, because I do open all the boxes I can. I agree that that the game is not the game- but the game really is about enemy engagements. No matter how long you spend exploring the majority of your time is spent scratching your trigger finger.

This was in response to Larry saying the solution to the fact that saves are very far apart is to shoot things faster. It's not going to help that much if you come to Borderlands for the exploration.