X3: Terran Conflict

ELewis17 wrote:

I HATE YOU, GRUBBER!
[size=6](Reinstalling now)[/size]
Edit: You should get in touch with Tkyl and have him put your video in the OP.

Sure, I'll PM him now. Thanks for watching, and remember, the only good Boron, is a dead Boron.

meerkat wrote:

If your ship does not have turrets or you do not want to use them for anti-missile purposes and if your ship can equip the Mosquito missile, then by equipping your ship with Mosquito Missiles and the Fight Command Software Mk. 1 and 2 you can activate the Mosquito Missie Defense as an additional ship command under your ship's command console. Hope this helps.

And if the command doesn't show up as an option even though the ship has the right equipment, make sure you have the Bonus Pack (which includes several other handy things, too) installed. You can get it from egosoft.com.

Great video Grubber.

I just got two pilots to bail on some huge transport ships. I managed to get them through the warpgate despite a bunch of fighter drones. Once I'm in a friendly sector I engage auto-pilot to get them to where I want to sell them. SETA instantly crashes me into the warpgate. GAME OVER. /cry

ELewis17 wrote:

I just got two pilots to bail on some huge transport ships. I managed to get them through the warpgate despite a bunch of fighter drones. Once I'm in a friendly sector I engage auto-pilot to get them to where I want to sell them. SETA instantly crashes me into the warpgate. GAME OVER. /cry

19. *Important* The Auto-pilot in X3 is not by any means perfect. Use it at your own risk. You will crash and burn from time to time. That is why you save often.

Yup, it sucks. Majorly.

garion333 wrote:
ELewis17 wrote:

I just got two pilots to bail on some huge transport ships. I managed to get them through the warpgate despite a bunch of fighter drones. Once I'm in a friendly sector I engage auto-pilot to get them to where I want to sell them. SETA instantly crashes me into the warpgate. GAME OVER. /cry

19. *Important* The Auto-pilot in X3 is not by any means perfect. Use it at your own risk. You will crash and burn from time to time. That is why you save often.

Yup, it sucks. Majorly.

OP wrote:

X3:TC Beginner's Guide by elewis17

I've taken Grubber's advice and I'm playing pirate with the borons as my victims (part of his master plan methinks). Where is OTAS HQ now, and how to best build faction?

Shoal07 wrote:

I've taken Grubber's advice and I'm playing pirate with the borons as my victims (part of his master plan methinks). Where is OTAS HQ now, and how to best build faction?

OTAS HQ is one sector away from Akeela's Beacon I think (which is one sector away from where you start the game as a bankrupt assassin), and the best way to build faction respect is to take combat missions from the Argon. Argon rep applies directly to the OTAS so if you are well-liked enough to buy a ship from the Argon, you can purchase from OTAS too.

I'm online now and in vent if anyone wants to chat.

I also started as a bankrupt assassin, i have maxed my turn and speed and bought another shield, what would be the next weapon i should get? i've still got the 2 plasma throwers and i bought quite a few mosquito missiles. i think i'm up to trusted advisor with the argon.

Markly wrote:

I also started as a bankrupt assassin, i have maxed my turn and speed and bought another shield, what would be the next weapon i should get? i've still got the 2 plasma throwers and i bought quite a few mosquito missiles. i think i'm up to trusted advisor with the argon.

What is the ship that you start out with? I am guessing that the Plasma Throwers are the best thing they can equip, so at best you could toss one or two more on there. At this point you may be better off saving for an upgraded ship, or a totally different sort of ship like a freighter in addition to your current ship. Or a factory.

you start with a mamba which is an m3, i was curious if it's worth getting the weapons that bypass shields or if what i started with is the best all around weapon.

I've been playing that start also (as a first game, so I'm maybe in the deep end for a newbie). I thought "if 2 of these guns are this good, 4 must be AWESOME!" and I was right, they are AWESOME, but unfortunately awesome in draining my energy level so fast that I can't afford to miss many shots. Since I'm a spammer, I had to go back to the 2 gun setup and be liberal with the missiles I scavenge. I'm firing missiles without having a clue what they do most of the time, other than the mosquito, which I now understand is aptly named as all it does is make the target mad.

The missiles are rather poorly named.

I wish I had my notes with me. My advice is you'll want to settle on a few types of missiles and ignore everything else. You'll want a fast missile for fighters, a balanced missile for mid-size ships, and slow heavy missiles for capital ships. Dumbfire missiles are junk. Cluster (?) missiles are only usable in specialized missile ships. Any missiles that don't fit your 3 or 4 categories should just be sold.

I'm just starting but enjoying the game. Began as a Terran Defender and although the NPC assured me the new Rapier I was given was quite an upgrade I'm not sure it's better than what I started with (Sabre?) I think I went from 20k shields to 5k, and the cannons eat up all available energy quick on the Rapier. On the plus side I'm quite adept at maneuvering and am just north of a 50% hit ratio.
I gotta hit some tutorials on this game. Is there a handy ship guide around?

Mosquitos are primarily used as missile defense, they are also reasonable at taking out M5s. They don't have the power for anything else.

Given the power constraints already mentioned, I would actually get two smaller weapons that fire faster projectiles more rapidly. Use the plasma guns for other M3s and larger ships, and the smaller guns for the smaller guys. That is assuming you are currently having a hard time hitting the smaller ships, of course.

What am i supposed to do with the unknown object? i followed it around in a sector for couple minutes, i couldn't talk to it and was not willing to attack it unprovoked eventually it jumped out of sector.

Markly wrote:

What am i supposed to do with the unknown object? i followed it around in a sector for couple minutes, i couldn't talk to it and was not willing to attack it unprovoked eventually it jumped out of sector.

Nothing. As I recall, it is an Easter Egg. Personally, I destroyed it.

Grubber788 wrote:
Markly wrote:

What am i supposed to do with the unknown object? i followed it around in a sector for couple minutes, i couldn't talk to it and was not willing to attack it unprovoked eventually it jumped out of sector.

Nothing. As I recall, it is an Easter Egg. Personally, I destroyed it. :)

There was a lot of people trying to figure it out, but it's nothing.

Markly wrote:

What am i supposed to do with the unknown object? i followed it around in a sector for couple minutes, i couldn't talk to it and was not willing to attack it unprovoked eventually it jumped out of sector.

Yeah, it's just a harmless flying saucer.

They fly all over the place, though, so you can use them to help you map the universe. If you have a spare ship that can go at least 300 m/s, just set it to follow the Unknown Object. But don't use anything irreplaceable, because UFO's will fly through Xenon and otherwise hostile sectors, and sometimes your ship will get caught by the locals.

Anyone figure out this stock market yet? Good materials to buy, at what index, etc?

Shoal07 wrote:

Anyone figure out this stock market yet? Good materials to buy, at what index, etc?

You looking for the X3:AP thread?

Dr_Awkward wrote:

I started with (Sabre?) I think I went from 20k shields to 5k, and the cannons eat up all available energy quick on the Rapier. On the plus side I'm quite adept at maneuvering and am just north of a 50% hit ratio.
I gotta hit some tutorials on this game. Is there a handy ship guide around?

Not going into too many spoilers you generally don't want to fight in an M5 unless you have to (Tormented Teladi start for example). M5s can be easily destroyed by an incoming anything they are more for scouting (like asteroid scan missions) and you can also use it for fast travel (taxi missions in case you got M5 with M cargo ) . The Sabre is an M4 medium fighter and they are generally ok but they still don't have much durability. You should generally strive to upgrade to an M3 of somekind which have a lot of advantages. Some M3s come with a turret that you can set for missile defense. Most M3 also have 50-75KJ shields and the heavy ones can reach around 200Kj-400Kj which make them durable but they usually pay in terms of speed. Most M3 have 8 front cannons . M5s are generally limited to low end weapons except for Terran where everyone get EMPCs .

M5s are flying coffins .Some of them might be more durable than others but you generally don't want to get hit when flying these .They also have a small weapon generator which limits the damage output per run. The M4 is generally more durable but not by much but it has a bigger weapon generator which means you can destroy things with it but you have to be careful. The Sabre You get is one of the fastest M4s and it's very capable of handling the beginning missions but later you may need something bigger. Terran ships usually have larger shield capacity but their weapon selection is fairly limited .

I suggest you salvage equipment off the rapiers you get to upgrade your sabre until you get something bigger and then upgrade that. There are a lot more options to flying a Terran ship .

Stele wrote:
Shoal07 wrote:

Anyone figure out this stock market yet? Good materials to buy, at what index, etc?

You looking for the X3:AP thread?

No, no one posts there.

Thanks for the good advice Niseg. I actually restarted as Terran Defender again and stuck with the Sabre. Mothballed the Rapier in case I needed something fast. Taking my time with the missions, but I have had a recent run of luck with commandeering some Xenon Ls. Sold most of those (but kept one that was really tricked out) and have a couple of mil credits now. My Sabre is maxxed for speed, rudder etc. Any particular M3s you'd recommend upgrading to?

Quintin_Stone wrote:

The missiles are rather poorly named.

I wish I had my notes with me. My advice is you'll want to settle on a few types of missiles and ignore everything else. You'll want a fast missile for fighters, a balanced missile for mid-size ships, and slow heavy missiles for capital ships. Dumbfire missiles are junk. Cluster (?) missiles are only usable in specialized missile ships. Any missiles that don't fit your 3 or 4 categories should just be sold.

Okay, I found my notes for missiles (got a new desk, everything is all over the place). Against a ship of a certain class, I use the following missiles:

M5: Rapier
M4: Hurricane
M3: Tempest
M6: Banshee
M7: Hornet
M2: Spectre
M1: Firestorm or Hammerhead

It's all about speed and range, especially against fighters. Disruptor missiles are really good against M4s, but I think those are only dropped by enemies, can't be bought or built, so don't plan to use them.

Dr_Awkward wrote:

Is there a handy ship guide around?

This is a handy reference for guides of all sorts.

I believe my favorite excel ship guides were made by V2200. His are color coded for easy reading, and each trait is filterable and sortable, which is really a must for the amount of data you have to look through. I could have sworn I had a X3TC excel file from him that did weapon, missile, and station stats as well as ship stats, but I don't see that on my computer, and the above post only links to his X3 Reunion file. I tried to search for an updated version but that was made difficult by the fact that he is a Russian speaker and only posts on the Russian forums.

Of the X3TC ship guides in the above link, this is the only one that is filterable and sortable by category, which as I said is a must. It unfortunately is not color-coded, and even more unfortunately doesn't include a breakdown of number of guns per turret and what weapon types each turret has.

That's a pity, but not a game breaker because in general I only used the Excel sheet to narrow down options a bit and do some rough analysis (and for when I was bored at work, very occasionally). Once I had it narrowed down to a few different ships I loaded them up in this bad boy. A 3d model and stats viewer. This reads in the ship data straight from your install directory, it will always be up to date. It looks awesome, has all of their stats, including a breakdown of weapons per turret. What's more it also shows the exact location and firing cone of the guns, which is really cool. I also use it occasionally just to marvel at the enormous difference in scale between different ships. The linked thread doesn't specify working with X3AP, but I assume it does since it's simply an expansion of TC.

Sadly, a lot of the links in the X3 resources thread are dead, and even their whole forums seems down at the moment.

One of the most helpful resources for me was the ship/weapon stat Excel file. It's not available anymore but I have my own copy of it at home that I'll drop in my Dropbox public folder when I get the chance.

Quintin_Stone wrote:

Sadly, a lot of the links in the X3 resources thread are dead, and even their whole forums seems down at the moment.

One of the most helpful resources for me was the ship/weapon stat Excel file. It's not available anymore but I have my own copy of it at home that I'll drop in my Dropbox public folder when I get the chance.

Yea I have a lot of the resources on my server as well (collecting dust per se). If you need anything let me know. I have all of the guides and spreadsheets as well.

PAR