X3: Terran Conflict
I saw this game posted on Steam. It looks interesting, seeing as how I am a fan of Space Sims, but I can't find any info on this game. I been googling it quite a bit and all I can find are screenshots that don't show much or forums answering very very specific questions about the game. I have yet to see anything that gives a broad overview of the game and how it is supposed to play.
I'm really interested in the game and want to give it a shot, but I can't justify paying $40 for a game I know absolutley nothing about. Has anyone heard of it before?
X3:TC Beginner's Guide by elewis17
Welcome newcomers to X3:TC
*Here is your guide to the Universe of X3*
Welcome to "a world of complex economy management, piracy and something about a Skiron!"
First the disclaimers:
1. This is not my work. I am merely standing on the shoulders of the greats in this thread: Shoal, Grubber, Evo, Yonder, and many others. Be sure and thank them for all their contributions after you call them filthy bastards enablers.
2. X3 is NOT EVE Online. If you disagree, create a new thread for Shoal to shame you in. It has been addressed too many times in the past.
3. Everything below this line could be considered a spoiler. View at your own risk.
Now the Substance:
1. IMO I think the best thing to do once you purchase the game is to play until you are utterly confused. This may take 10 minutes or 3 hours.
2. Now that you are confused and in over your head read this. Bookmark this, and return to it often. It will be handy for the first few days you are playing.
3. This is the X3 "Wiki". It isn't really a wiki nor does it call itself one, but it is the most valuable X3 related site on the net, besides this thread of course. IF I am playing this game I also have a browser open to this site. Alt+Tab is you second best friend only to dual monitors.
4. The X3:TC map is located here. To download a PDF map (and the best TC map I've found (Thanks Evo for reminding me) click here). This map is printed on 11X17 on the wall next to my desk. The PDF map does contain blatant spoilers by the way. It shows sectors where derelict ships reside, and it shows which sectors contain Shipyards, Equipment Docks, HQs, Pirate Bases, and special facilities.
5. The list of "ownerless" or derelict ships is located here.
6. Yes, you should go grab a few of the derelict ships, and no you shouldn't sell most of them. A good portion of them are unique.
7. Find a sexy ship you want? Looking to upgrade? Type the name of the ship here and all stats will be displayed.
8. Yes, Grubber HATES the Boron, and yes, I'm sure he will post more sexy screenies of him opening a can on the fish people.
9. Here is the list of military ships from largest to smallest:
M1 = Carrier
M2 = Destroyer
M7 = Frigate
M7M = Missile Frigate
M8 = Bomber
M6 = Corvette
M3+ = Advanced Heavy Fighter
M3 = Heavy Fighter
M4+ = Advanced Medium Fighter
M4 = Medium Fighter
M5 = Light Fighter/Recon
10. Here is a list of X Universe guides. Some of the links are dead, but there is a lot of good information here. Just remember that only the green links apply to Terran Conflict.
11. Manually Operated Remote Traders (MORT) Take player direction, but will make you a lot of Spacebucks if tended to properly. Depending on your playstyle you'll want to start Sector Traders or MORTs.
12. Software can be confusing. Refer to this.
13. Get on Vent. I'm frequently on, and am always willing to lend a helping hand. Don't be afraid to jump on the Single Player channel and ask me a question. It is a lot easier to explain something using the spoken language than it is for someone to type up a response while they are supposed to be working.
14. You still need to read through this thread in its entirety. There is so much valuable information it would be a waste not to.
15. Kiss your social life goodbye.
16. To scan the pirate base to need to be ~500 away from it.
17. Save often! Every chance you get you should save.
18. Repair Laser- I'm posing this here so there is no excuse. "you can eject in some safe space and repair your ship with a repair laser in your space suit (press fire). It takes a bloody age and is obviously easier to dock at shipyard and pay for repairs but in the early stages its a viable option to make more cash on that knackered out pirate ship you just captured." Remember a captured ship that is fully repaired is worth MUCH more money, and moves much faster.
19. *Important* The Auto-pilot in X3 is not by any means perfect. Use it at your own risk. You will crash and burn from time to time. That is why you save often.
20. Nowhere is safe. Typically core sectors are safer than border sectors (you'll understand this once you look at the map). Pirates and Kha'ak can show up at any time and wipe out a sector. Don't cry though; GOD will fix everything in due time. GOD is the unseen higher power in the game that keeps everything working as it should (besides Auto-pilot). Your unused ships are much safer docked at a station rather than sitting in space somewhere.
21. The higher your combat rank the harder combat will be, and the more ass you kick the higher you combat rank will get. Your combat rank will slowly drop if you are not engaging enemies. Try not to get ahead of yourself.
I have omitted including any mods in this post. I have used a few of them, and I think they add a lot of handy features. I may do another write up in the future with all the mods linked.