iPad 3

EvilHomer3k wrote:
I hope the rumor of the price hike isn't true.

That would shock me if true. Apple's MO of late is releasing upgraded products at the same price every year. I think a price hike on the iPad 3 would slow mainstream adoption in a way they wouldn't want (unless they discount the iPad 2 significantly which is still a possibility).

Katy wrote:
Gizmodo (over)analysis of the screen, based on the event invite.

Apple just flashed their new iPad 3 on their Wednesday 7 event invite. You can clearly see the new Retina display in all its glory. Compare the left (invitation) to the right (the iPad 2).

Well yes, the left is a much better photograph.

Parallax Abstraction wrote:
EvilHomer3k wrote:
I hope the rumor of the price hike isn't true.

That would shock me if true. Apple's MO of late is releasing upgraded products at the same price every year. I think a price hike on the iPad 3 would slow mainstream adoption in a way they wouldn't want (unless they discount the iPad 2 significantly which is still a possibility).

If that image is to believed, then there will not be a 4G version either. I, however, don't believe that image.

Hopefully I can ignore the buzz over the next week to get some work done

Do you guys know what's nice?

OLED displays.

Not interested by their über retina thingamabob

Some rumors have called it the iPad HD.

trueheart78 wrote:
Some rumors have called it the iPad HD.

Was it Michael Pachter?

Slacker1913 wrote:
trueheart78 wrote:
Some rumors have called it the iPad HD.

Was it Michael Pachter?

Nope.

Have apple ever called any of their iProducts with the "HD" suffix? It seems a little generic for them.

Remember the iPhone 3G?

Ars Technica spots devices with 2048x1536 resolution in their server logs, apparently for the first time. These devices also appear to be running iOS 6, although Ars believes that's probably an internal build that won't ship until later this year.

Malor wrote:
Ars Technica spots devices with 2048x1536 resolution in their server logs, apparently for the first time. These devices also appear to be running iOS 6, although Ars believes that's probably an internal build that won't ship until later this year.

iOS 6 being something that will ship much later is almost a certainty. There's no quietly springing a new iOS revision on everyone - developers have to have it in hands well ahead of time to update their apps.

The only bit that makes it slightly interesting is that it suggests iOS 6 will be the next release after iOS 5.1 (the current developer seed). So that presumably suggests a "big" update.

I imagine iOS 6 will be fall for the staggered iPhone update.

trueheart78 wrote:
I imagine iOS 6 will be fall for the staggered iPhone update.

That timing makes the most sense.

So tomorrow is the day - if you will be following along, what's your live-blog of choice? I'd like to find one that I can count on, but would prefer a live-twitter account that is focused on it with tons of pictures.

trueheart78 wrote:
So tomorrow is the day - if you will be following along, what's your live-blog of choice? I'd like to find one that I can count on, but would prefer a live-twitter account that is focused on it with tons of pictures.

I just read TUAW after the fact. Engadget might be the best live-blog for Apple events, though I've never followed one.

I think I'll be hitting up Ars for liveblog coverage, unless I can get away with having the stream on a second monitor at my desk.

Engadget for me. Gizmodo also does a liveblog but their site is slow enough to begin with.

here's the link to the Ars liveblog: http://live.arstechnica.com/Event/Ap...

Live Blogs:
CNet
Time's Techland.
Engadget
Ar's (thanks to Shoptroll)

I just have to say, timezones kind of suck

I'll try to watch this live; these things are always kind of fun. No idea if I'm going to buy one, though. I have a 2, so I don't *need* one.

Fedaykin98 wrote:
I'll try to watch this live; these things are always kind of fun. No idea if I'm going to buy one, though. I have a 2, so I don't *need* one.

You are the target audience for today's event.

I wonder if Apple really has anything that will be surprising with this, or if they'll pull a typically Apple and delivery just a little less than everyone is expecting. It would be fun to have a surprise.

I sure hope there is something surprisingly unexpected.

I'm looking at getting the middle tier with the LTE radio, if that's a feature. My 16GB wifi iPad 2 has 8.8GB of free space still, so unless they upgrade the amount of space with the new iteration, I've got little to no reason to jump to a 64GB.

16 or 32 GB wi-fi model for me I think. I really don't intend on taking a tablet to many places that don't have wi-fi, and I have a work-issued smartphone for when that happens anyways.

As a wifi-only owner of the 2, I've found myself wanting to have an always-connected version more times than I initially thought. Since this is a gift from my work, and it might be years before I upgrade it, I figure it's probably a sound decision. I really use my 2 enough to almost not use my smartphone for anything I used to, it's crazy how much the tablet has changed my usage patterns.

I always try and remain calm/pessimistic about all the rumours flying around but this haptic display would be incredible. It would be a nice curve ball to throw in the mix and might explain the 'We have something we think you should see. And touch'

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/07/...

Pretty excited for the reveal today.

I've been sold on iPad for months and have only been waiting on 3 for a purchase.

Nightstorm wrote:
I always try and remain calm/pessimistic about all the rumours flying around but this haptic display would be incredible. It would be a nice curve ball to throw in the mix and might explain the 'We have something we think you should see. And touch'

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/07/...

Very interesting. As much as I am not an Apple fan (I am, however, an iPad fanboy), I do appreciate it when a leading move is taken by companies that others are already playing catch-up to. The market right now is decidedly iPad (Google stated ~12 million Android tablets sold), and an announcement like this would just make competitive devices even less appealing.