"Name of the Wind" - Auri's Novella Due End of the October

Fedaykin98 wrote:

I don't recall whether there was a moonless night or what happened on it, but the other two, yes.

He spent the afternoon banging Felurian and got a sweet-ass cloak out of the deal.

Someone says the phrase, but then again someone said the phrase in the first book. And there are events that correspond to the phrase, but not one that has any particular significance. And the book is certainly not structured to fit those three parts of the phrase exactly.

I remember being most interested in:

Spoiler:

a night with no moon, since the Fay realm appears to be linked to the Mortal by the moon, from what I remember. The moon is getting closer? Or something like that. That is interesting stuff.

Spoiler:

Well doesn't he get shipwrecked at one point, presumably by a storm at sea? And he unwisely angers the Mayor (forget how it's spelled in the book), who is clearly a gentleman in the literal sense.

That's why I asked about the moonless night. The other two I could think of.

While I like the symmetry of Kvothe being the angry gentle man

Spoiler:

while he's killing the false Ruh, I think that's more of an example of Kvothe as a modern Amyr-type. There's enough people comparing him to them, like Auri calling him her Ciridae, and Wil comparing the two after his two-week ban for speaking in Tomes.

My first glimpse of the anger of a gentle man in the series was when

Spoiler:

he got expelled from the Archives. Some people may argue that Lorren isn't gentle enough, but until the candle incident, it seemed to me that Lorren liked Kvothe.

Because it's semi-wild speculation:

Spoiler:

Is there anybody who does not think his mother is Netalia Lackless?

And in my controversial opinion, “Oh God, whose rooms are these?” is the best quote in the book.

I was thinking about this series the other day. Can't wait for book 3.

I just finished re-listening to them last week; I too can't wait for the third.

Squeegee_Joe wrote:

Because it's semi-wild speculation:

Spoiler:

Is there anybody who does not think his mother is Netalia Lackless?

That never occurred to me. That would be interesting if true.

I, too, am dying for book three to come out.

Good timing, I just finished the second book and can't wait for the third. His mother is almost certainly a Lackless, the coincidences are too much to be ignored. They essentially the gun on the wall.

Damn you all, I thought the activity in the thread was because there was news that the third book is nearing completion.

So, I just read a every interesting theory:

Spoiler:

From the wiki page on Edema Ruh:

"There is a possibility that the word "Edema" is derived from the same root as "Adem." It is possible that, while the multitude of Adem schools of thought were being formed, a splinter group arose who held contrary beliefs to those of the traditional Adem. "

Kind of neat.

Nevin73 wrote:

Damn you all, I thought the activity in the thread was because there was news that the third book is nearing completion.

This. Damn your eyes!

You guys are the biggest teases.

Coldstream wrote:
Nevin73 wrote:

Damn you all, I thought the activity in the thread was because there was news that the third book is nearing completion.

This. Damn your eyes!

I do not apologize at all.

Tangentially related to Patrick Rothfuss - he could write for a videogame if it reaches a kickstarter goal :

Fantasy author Patrick Rothfuss could write for Torment :

Developer InXile already has a deep roster of fantasy writers working on its successfully funded followup to Planescape: Torment, but they’re about to add another one that scares the hell out of creative lead Colin McComb.

Fantasy author Patrick Rothfuss, who wrote the acclaimed 2009 novel The Name of the Wind, will write for Torment: Tides of Numenera if the Kickstarter reaches $3.25 million. GamesBeat asked McComb yesterday what it’s like leading a team of writers that includes massive names like Rothfuss.

“That part is a little scary,” McComb told GamesBeat. “I’m a little wary about telling these people what to do. I’m really excited to work with them, but at the same time I think, ‘wow, where do I get off telling you how to do this?’”

Other writers include the designer of the Numenera setting Monte Cook and Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer designer George Ziets.

beanman101283 wrote:
Squeegee_Joe wrote:

Because it's semi-wild speculation:

Spoiler:

Is there anybody who does not think his mother is Netalia Lackless?

That never occurred to me. That would be interesting if true.

The implication is there.

Spoiler:

From the reason for Lady Lackless' hatred for Ruh to Kvothe's mother disapproving of his singing that insulting song about the Lackless.

TV rights optioned by 20th Century Fox and New Regency.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/07/new-...

New Regency Productions and 20th Century Fox Television have optioned Patrick Rothfuss’ fantasy trilogy The Kingkiller Chronicle to develop into a drama series. Eric Heisserer (Hours, The Thing) is attached to adapt the series and will exec produce. Arnon Milchan, Andrew Plotkin, Brad Weston and Robert Lawrence (Die Hard With A Vengeance) also serve as exec producers. Set in a compelling world where the sharpest minds can master magic, The Kingkiller Chronicles tells the story of Kvothe, a streetwise young man who hopes to one day hunt down the mysterious group that murdered his family.

Man, that sounds awesome. I fear it could go very wrong though.

When is the third book coming out? This fall?

goman wrote:

TV rights optioned by 20th Century Fox and New Regency.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/07/new-...

New Regency Productions and 20th Century Fox Television have optioned Patrick Rothfuss’ fantasy trilogy The Kingkiller Chronicle to develop into a drama series. Eric Heisserer (Hours, The Thing) is attached to adapt the series and will exec produce. Arnon Milchan, Andrew Plotkin, Brad Weston and Robert Lawrence (Die Hard With A Vengeance) also serve as exec producers. Set in a compelling world where the sharpest minds can master magic, The Kingkiller Chronicles tells the story of Kvothe, a streetwise young man who hopes to one day hunt down the mysterious group that murdered his family.

I can't see this ending well. The books are so richly complex.

I'm still hung up on casting. It is just hard to imagine somone filling those shoes. Hopefully they find a talented unknown. (although Alan Tudyk would be fantastic as old Kvothe)

Robear wrote:

When is the third book coming out? This fall?

The link for the show announcement says some time next year, but I'm sure that's just an estimate. It'll be out when it's finished.

A series? On Fox? I think high hopes and low expectation is the way to go with this.

You'd think they'd want HBO, in order to do the...uh... forest scenes with high fidelity. True Blood style.

WHY IS AMAZON INFORMING ME THAT ROTHFUSS HAS WRITTEN A CHILDREN'S BOOK INSTEAD OF WORKING ON BOOK 3?!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159...

Quintin_Stone wrote:

WHY IS AMAZON INFORMING ME THAT ROTHFUSS HAS WRITTEN A CHILDREN'S BOOK INSTEAD OF WORKING ON BOOK 3?!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159...

That's the second in the series. It's fun. Got the first or my husband since he enjoyed Rothfuss so much. We did have to hide it when our son was younger though. He's now reading Name of the Wind to our son but has said they won't do the second until he's much older.

Quintin_Stone wrote:

WHY IS AMAZON INFORMING ME THAT ROTHFUSS HAS WRITTEN A CHILDREN'S BOOK INSTEAD OF WORKING ON BOOK 3?!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159...

WHY ARE YOU POSTING IN THIS THREAD AND GIVING ME FALSE HOPE?! YOU MONSTER!

Ooooh children's book you say, hmmmm

Renji wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:

WHY IS AMAZON INFORMING ME THAT ROTHFUSS HAS WRITTEN A CHILDREN'S BOOK INSTEAD OF WORKING ON BOOK 3?!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159...

WHY ARE YOU POSTING IN THIS THREAD AND GIVING ME FALSE HOPE?! YOU MONSTER!

LOUD NOISES!

I almost had a heart attack from hoping...

(is that possible?)

MathGoddess wrote:

He's now reading Name of the Wind to our son but has said they won't do the second until he's much older.

I imagine the sex goddess chapters could get awkward.

Quintin_Stone wrote:

WHY IS AMAZON INFORMING ME THAT ROTHFUSS HAS WRITTEN A CHILDREN'S BOOK INSTEAD OF WORKING ON BOOK 3?!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159...

He's also working on that Numenera RPG game's story, and he has like weekly podcasts and stuff. I think he forgot about the third book