On politicizing women's health

If I was going to buy a lady friend a hand gun, a Walther would be damn near the bottom of the list.

Thanks, Katy. I already wasn't dealing with these guys anymore, but that was just stupid.

And yeah, I've only fired the PPK, but we found that the slide re-set mechanism didn't work worth jack for the girls because it relies too much on the firmness of the shooter's wrist and it kept jamming. They figured out how to work with it, but it wasn't much fun. We had much better luck with the Beretta and the Sig.

One thing I keep coming back to in all this is the way we're handling research, preventative care, and screening procedures for all genders in this country needs a long, cold look. Those things are crucial and shouldn't be reliant on any charity and their arbitrary decisions. Where to go with that I don't know, though. All I see now is the base problem.

Amoebic wrote:
Everything you've said so far has summed up my sentiments perfectly. Much better than I could ever say. You also make some excellent points. Bravo.

I also see that you live in my town. I hope you like beer, because I'm inclined to buy you one at the next S&T.


IMAGE(http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Stolichnaya-Vodka-print-ads-vodka-236626_331_450.jpg)

Yes, to celebrate and memorialize the health of women, they'll sell a device that's explicitly intended to kill people.

But it's in pink, so it's okay.

They need to fire their director, like, right now.

Calm down, Katy already debunked that for us.

From her link wrote:
A spokesman for Komen's Seattle chapter, meanwhile, told The Huffington Post that his group was completely unaware of Discount Gun Sales' "Hope" gun and hadn't received any donations from the company.

"This fundraising scheme is not sanctioned by us; we had no knowledge of it. We have not received a single penny from this gun seller. It is a rogue scheme," said Jim Clune, communications manager for the Puget Sound Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure. "We have forwarded this issue to the National Komen office, requesting they contact Discount Gun Sales with a cease and desist order."

Stengah wrote:
Calm down, Katy already debunked that for us.

I confused him, because you're not supposed to admit you made a mistake in P&C.

Katy wrote:
Stengah wrote:
Calm down, Katy already debunked that for us.

I confused him, because you're not supposed to admit you made a mistake in P&C.

First rule of P&C, don't admit mistakes.

And here I thought it was a perfectly logical choice for endorsement products. After all, when you get diagnosed with terminal stage three cancer because you couldn't get a screening from an actual doctor, what better way than a little pink pistol do you have to save yourself the misery of an excruciatingly painful death from cancer?

Offhand I'd say that overdosing on morphine would be a better way.

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with LarryC. Maybe the Komen Foundation can swing a sponsorship deal with a manufacturer?

Edit: 80% of all firearm suicide deaths are white males. Women prefer to OD, statistically.

clover wrote:
Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with LarryC. Maybe the Komen Foundation can swing a sponsorship deal with a manufacturer?

Edit: 80% of all firearm suicide deaths are white males. Women prefer to OD, statistically.

What? Men can't get breast cancer?

Sexist pigs.

"What about the menz?" Check

clover wrote:
"What about the menz?" Check ;)

His knowledge of scientific biological causation is only outmatched by his zest for sound logical reasoning.

Ricky wasn't the only one saying idiotic things today.

Times like these, I really wish I were in journalism. "Representative Paul, what are the parameters under which you'd define a rape as 'dishonest' rather than 'honest'?"

Paleocon wrote:
And here I thought it was a perfectly logical choice for endorsement products. After all, when you get diagnosed with terminal stage three cancer because you couldn't get a screening from an actual doctor, what better way than a little pink pistol do you have to save yourself the misery of an excruciatingly painful death from cancer?

Actually our cure rate for stage III cancer (especially breast) is quite good. Stage IV not so much.

And yes I'd love to bitch slap Nancy Brinker sometimes...

Karen Handel resigns - PR nightmare for Komen continues.
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...

Tanglebones wrote:
Karen Handel resigns - PR nightmare for Komen continues.
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...

So, Komen tosses Handel under the bus and fails to realize that they are handcuffed together?

Paleocon wrote:
Tanglebones wrote:
Karen Handel resigns - PR nightmare for Komen continues.
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...

So, Komen tosses Handel under the bus and fails to realize that they are handcuffed together?

That's about how I read it - as Jay Rosen says on twitter, they're failing to realize that their PR failure can't be solved by more PR.

Tanglebones wrote:
Paleocon wrote:
Tanglebones wrote:
Karen Handel resigns - PR nightmare for Komen continues.
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...

So, Komen tosses Handel under the bus and fails to realize that they are handcuffed together?

That's about how I read it - as Jay Rosen says on twitter, they're failing to realize that their PR failure can't be solved by more PR.

Yup.

I'm getting the impression that Handel was hired because she was consistent with the philosophy of the board of directors and willing to implement the changes they were looking to implement. Now that things have gone horribly pear shaped, they are trying to lay it entirely at her doorstep. And rather than being the good soldier, she's making sure they pad her fall.

I think the resignation leak wasn't done by Komen, though.

It seems far more likely that Handel's released that to pre-emptively prevent them from shifting the blame to her now that she's gone. (In fairness, Komen has floated some 'test' spin implicating her as the primary force behind the policy change).

[Edit] Definitely Handel. The domain for the site where the resignation letter was posted, karenhandelkomen.com, was registered yesterday, though the resignation letter itself is dated today. For extra women's-advocacy-irony points, the domain is registered through GoDaddy.

Reaper81 wrote:
If I was going to buy a lady friend a hand gun, a Walther would be damn near the bottom of the list.

I don't know anything about guns, but I'm curious: Why?

(don't want to derail the thread- just want to know why Walther places so low on the list)

Also, screw Komen's wingnut board for politicizing a breast cancer charity. Jerks.

IMAGE(http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/constructive.png)

God, lots of spammers lately. If I was a moderator, I could take care of this....

Quintin_Stone wrote:
God, lots of spammers lately. If I was a moderator, I could take care of this....

As a person, the best AT&T way be to eat more fruits WIRELESS with a high amount of pectin FREE TRIAL.

GAIN UP TO 3 INCHES IN A MATTER OF WEEKS!